Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• m1willm1will Member Posts: 1
    I had a FJ40 from the early seventies until the late eighties when I finally sold it. When Toyata decided to drop the bobtail and only sell the station wagon the country let out a collective groan of despair. This new FJ Cruiser is sorta cool but why develop a totally new model when the FJ70 bobtail is still being made and distributed worldwide? I am very familiar with the FJ70 since when staying in Africa with friends that lived there everybody drove these. Has America grown too swank for the bulletproof FJ70? :cry:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Has America grown too swank for the bulletproof FJ70?

Good point. I have thought of buying an older FJ and rebuilding it. I really liked that vehicle. I should have put a small block Chevy V8 engine in it like all the other guys were doing in the 60s & 70s. They are worth a lot more now than the $2400 I paid for it new. It was the last of the small rear window model.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    My guess is that the FJ70 can't meet the current crash test standards.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I noticed on the FJ website that Toyota will offer a CatBack exhaust system which is supposed to sound great and increase horsepower. Toyota is offering lots of customization like their Scion brand.

Does anyone know how the exhaust system will impact horsepower and gas milage?????

Thankyou with appreciation,
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    As far as I know, they haven't released any specs on the exhaust yet. I do know that it will be $550 if port-installed on the vehicle.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    is that it will be in the showrooms on or about March 27th.

Specs were known last week along with the models to be allocated to each store.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Did anyone see this months Car and Driver?
    They did a 4 way test with the H3, Xterra, FJ and Jeep.
    The FJ came in third place. They repeated what a lot of people here said- small back seat, very poor visibility through all the thick pillars.

The one in their test was yellow with plain black steel wheels, It looked pretty cool.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    What place did the Xterra come in? That is what I am getting.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Motor Trend did the same comparison. Ranked FJ 1st. Then Xterra, H3, and Liberty.
    Different strokes for different folks!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The reviews I want to see will be in the 4Wheeler magazines. It will get a real test of what a 4X4 is about.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Xterra was 1st, Jeep, FJ and in 4th was the H3
  • toyodlrtoyodlr Member Posts: 12
    Our FJ was allocated to us today. MSRP with Side Airbags, Running Boards, Convenience Package, Upgrade Package #2, Roof Rack, Rear Door Storage and Carpet Mats is $28,800. We have sold the first 3 we have coming. EXPECT LONG WAIT TIME INTIALLY AND FAT ADDENDUMS.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I thought I'd jump in for a second.

Seems Toyota may, according to R&T, build the Supra after all, instead of putting the Supra on the shelf for the FJ, as Mr. Press indicated a couple of years ago.

C&D derided the FJ for poor ride quality, saying it was great off-road, but not good on the streets.

MT said the FJ was good at both, and better than Xterra on the streets, so it gave it the win.

Both mags had the FJ .2 seconds behind the X, 0-60.

DrFill
    ditto our expectation. We aren't taking any firm orders just a 'call-me' list on a first come first serve basis.

Agreed, it appears that these will not be basic models at all, loaded up with accessories and likely an addendum. We have 11 allocated, 3 MT and 8 AT, but not all at the same time obviously.
  • tattooedbonestattooedbones Member Posts: 1
    What happened to the beefy BF Goodrich tires ? Have they decided to go with a less agressive tire? It changes the whole look of the FJ!!

See FJ with agressive tires here:
    http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2007_fjcruiser/2007_fjcruiser.htm
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The only way to get the more aggressive tires is with the TRD 16" wheel accessory package.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    When I access toyota.ca from work, I can "build and price" an FJ, and download an electronic brochure.

When I access toyota.ca from home, the very same site suddenly has no option to build and price and FJ, and no link to an electronic brochure. I still have access to FJ'S home page, with all the specs, warranty info, etc

The only tangible differences is that at work I have a DSL connection and the latest Windows version, while at home I have a dial-up and an older Windows version.

But why on Earth would that make an option to build an FJ and a link to an electronic brochure disappear???

Could anyone please go to toyota.ca and see if you can build an FJ and download a brochure. Please let me know what Internet connection you have

Thank you!
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    For the same money one can get a 4Runner with curtains (without waiting) currently selling $1-1.5k under invoice. Granted FJ might be cooler but 4Runner is much more value. Unless 6-MT is a must, FJ is no great deal!
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I looked at Toyota Ca. and it allowed me to build an FJ. I run Windows XP (home edition), and DSL.
    Cheers :confuse:
    I don't think that a 4Runner is a better value. It's a heavier vehicle which uses more gas, and will cost you at least several thousand dollars more over the life of the vehicle. Besides, it's 11 inches longer, which makes it more difficult to park, and not as nimble off-road.

IMHO, 4Runner is good for people with kids or large families, or who do not desire the attention FJ is likely to attract at the beginning
    Now I can build an FJ even with a dial-up. I guess we'll never know as to what was going on. Oh, well, let it be our biggest problem in life :)
    Obviously value is very subjective.

However, your argument as to gas milage does not hold and even if FJ gets 1 mpg more, that will amount to a 5% price break. Frankly, most people who care about MPG do not buy off road SUVs. FYI: 4Runner has pretty reasonable size and it is not longer than a Camry and it certainly has better visability than the FJ. FJ does not have decent rear seats/doors/view and it is not really suitable for many apps. Finally, 4Runner has much more content and size at the same price! That is the point I was trying to make: at invoice it may work for a few people but at MSRP it will not given that 4Runners are selling over $4k off MSRP.

Also, unless you are going to do uber hardcore 4wheeling all the time, 4Runner is going to suffice 99% of the time.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Besides, it's 11 inches longer, which makes it more difficult to park, and not as nimble off-road."

Actually, turning radius probably has as much to do with ease of parking and nimbleness off-road as overall vehicle length.

From what I can determine, the 4runner has a 37.4ft turning circle while the FJ has a 41.8ft turning circle.

A turning circle more than 4' bigger for the FJ doesn't equate to 'nimbleness' in my book.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'd choose the new RAV-4 over both. It is a 3/4 size 4-runner, right down to the traction and hill assist modes, off-road capability, and it even has a 3rd row option.

For $30K loaded. I bet it does better off-road than the FJ or 4-Runner for less money. Kind of like what the Liberty should have been.

34.7ft turning radius, btw - quite nimble, though I suspect you'd have to toughen it up a bit with aftermarket cladding and skidplates and so on. Plenty of money for that, considering the V6 Limited is $25K plus a couple thousand in options. Fully loaded, it comes to $29,362(TMV price, on this site) The only option I didn't add was the rear entertainment option and leather seats(since that's silly off-road, and you have to toss the 3rd row option)
    Frankly, RAV4 V6 is a tempting package but for purely on road/winter use.

FYI:Car based SUVs are basically allergic to off road use and installing skid plates is not going to cut it. You will also have to increase suspension travel and basically rebuilt the whole suspension plus add some lower gearing. If you take a naked RAV4 off road, it will cost you so much you will quickly forget the few thousand you saved orginally.
  • ribbonspeakersribbonspeakers Member Posts: 8
    I have a deposit down. Have any dealers said they will charge over sticker? My dealer said that on FJ's that are refused by people with deposits, they may add over sticker. Personally, from what I know about the competition they'd be insane not to add 5%, which seems reasonable. Considering how clunky & unreliable Jeeps are compared to Toyota, IMO the FJ blows it away. But no offense if you love Jeeps, & I know many of you do. Personally I'd be very envious if I was a Jeep lover.

Do any dealers have prices for options?

I'm tall & chunky. I don't fit comfortably in a lot of vehicles. I think I'll fit OK in the FJ. I fit OK in the 4Runner. Compared to the 4Runner, the FJ has in the front:
    Head room +1.6"
    Legs +.1"
    Shoulders +.4"
    Hips +.1
    I especially like the extra head room.

This sucker weighs 1000 lbs less than my Tahoe. It has only 40 hp less, but the torque is equal! At any point, & especially from a dead stop, the FJ is gonna run away & hide from the Tahoe!

Plus the 4Runner handles way better than the Tahoe already, & the 3.9" shorter wheelbase (vs. the 4Runner) will make the handling even crisper & sharper, though possibly a little bumpier ride.

The 4Runner has one of the sweetest & smoothest drivetrains of anything I've driven, so the FJ should be equally good.
    Man, I hope many people share your views that 4Runner is a better value than FJ. In that case, there would not be a huge demand on FJ, and won't bee much price gouging by the dealers.

BTW, I think FJ will be a vehicle mostly for the 35+ crowd, as FJ is not that cheap. Don't know how much Toyota is going to charge for financing FJs in the States, but in Canada they want 7.05% no matter if it's for 24 or 60 months.

And that will add many thousands to the price of FJ. I doubt too many people have enough free cash to buy FJ without financing. So, that very attractive initial price is for those few who will not finance. Unlike Jeep, Toyota won't be offering 0% financing on FJs. Get ready to open your wallets, folks
    Personally I think that the FJ will be right back to invoice pricing within 6 months because at MSRP it is way too expensive and NOT competitively priced compared to other alternatives. At the same $29k, the 4Runner is just more vehicle for the same money: more features, doors, seating, interior space, etc.

BcMalibu99: If you do not like Toyota rates get it financed elsewhere.

Additionally, the Canadian market is very weird and as an ex-pat (note the handle) I have found a way to get around the Toyota Canada bull: simply buy the vehicle in the US and import it. I've done it and it is not very hard. It is only 6.1% in additional duty (for imports) but the dealers have lower margins in the US and the current exchange rate (0.87)is so favourable that most of that will be made up. Obviously, this may require that you find the money elsewhere for a few weeks before you finance it up North. Furthermore, you may be able to "save" much more if the Canadian option bundling is different. For example, in the US you can buy side curtains on some lower-end HLs and 4Runners but in Canada they will rape you for the full price on the Limited. That is another $6-7k in worthless options. Another way to trim some taxes is to drive it around the US on your vacation and depreciate the vehicle before you formally import it. Better yet, title/register it first in state like OR and that may allow you to avoid PST.

my $0.02!
  • ilikecars2ilikecars2 Member Posts: 3
    I saw three new FJ's being delivered to Toyota Corp. offices in San Ramon, ca. The blue and yellow look great, the alloys and roof rack really stand out. The silver one didn't have alloys and just looked ok. It really looks like a fun car and very different, especially with the white roof. Can't wait to test drive one. I like the idea of a rugged interior, but would also prefer and upgrade available for the normal carpet interior and a leather option. But maybe in the future I'll trade up once avail. Looks great toyota, great job!
    This is part subjective, but part objective.

The FJ's unique look significantly elevates its value vs. the 4Runner. The basic 4Runner body, though tweeked a bit (& IMO the look was absolutely improved for '06), has been around since MY '03. The FJ is a fresh take on the original decades-old Land Cruiser theme. Even though the 4Runner may be better at the same sticker price as the FJ, shoppers wanting something sharper & fresher will gravitate toward the FJ. That could keep FJ prices elevated longer than six months as you predicted.

I'm biased in this regard, because I put down a deposit a month or so ago. I'm really ready for something new & can't wait to see how I fit & take it for a test drive.

I had some hesitation when I noticed the blind spots. Then after talking to my wife, who drove 40' school busses, I decided only a wimp would pass on a vehicle solely for its blind spots. Professional drivers use mirrors almost constantly. Certainly anything short next to a school bus is completely hidden to the school bus driver except for his/her mirrors. But when I was in reverse today in an indoor parking lot, it occurred to me that the blind spots would cause the most problems in that situation. Obvioulsy school buss drivers never find themself backing up in dark indoor parking lots.
    Hard to justify building a supersports car when your flagship F1 race car can barely finish a race. Has yota finished in the top ten in the past 4 years? There are few people in the world lamenting yota's lack of a supercar.

Has Yota had any recent racing success whatsover? Even the most recent Lexus still don't keep up with a Bimmer from a sport viewpoint (not talking about pure straightline acceleration, but overall balance).

I drove the latest 330i vs. a Lexus IS at a tight Autocross track (favored handling). The Bimmer ate the Lexus' lunch.

Only my 2c.
    As far as blind spots, get small mirrors for one dollar at Wal-mart and stick them to the big mirrors. Bye-bye, blind spots. For backing up, get a back up alarm, which Toyota offers for FJ.

Braindrainer, come back to Canada, Harper is about to start cutting taxes :) All this stuff about going to USA to buy FJ is just way too much hassle. Besides, I don't want to be treated like an interloper at a Canadian dealer every time I come for service. Moreover, to get an off-road option for FJ I'd need to get a totally loaded FJ in the States. In Canada, it's a mid-loaded version of the FJ. A fully loaded version in Canada adds lots of stuff I don't care about, and an additional $3K MSRP. So, there's a saving of 3K right there.

I think I'll wait for a year for prices to come down, minor reliability bugs to be removed, and will save enough to buy without financing
  • jim_djim_d Member Posts: 4
    I just got back from a Toyota dealership here in Dallas (Sport City) and was informed by the sales manager that if I wanted to order an FJ Cruiser it would be $7000 over sticker, regardless of what options I might want. I told him he might want to check his medication dosage and left.
    It would have been nicer to just say they got third place - no big deal. Ferrarri always gets first, so it's always a race between the others for real pecking order.

But yeah - the poster needs to go watch some rally racing - that's where the real insanity and skill is. 120mph+ down a road my car couldn't take at 25mph...
    From initial reactions I understand that there will be significant 'addendum' addons in equipment and market pricing. FWIW. Most I believe will be loaded up.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    WHO CARES???!!!
    This is a NASCAR nation fellas.
    Good luck at Indy this year.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, let's get back to the FJ Cruiser - we've gone way off on a tangent here. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• forddude1forddude1 Member Posts: 6
    they're comin back with the real suv's and the gas suckin road hoggers are dying out.sorry soccer moms but you give real suvs a bad name.it is a very good potential market all the real offroad trucks from back in the day are gettin hard to find these days.toyota is comin out with fj,jeep is makin the wrangler better,and ford(from what i have heard) is makin the bronco on their new thai ranger platform(not the feista platform that lil softroader is gonna to be called the ecosport). HOORA!U.S Army rocks.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    seen a dealer delivery yet? I heard they will be available March 27th, that's next Monday. I have to see it in person to decide what I think about those huge C-pillars, although since I first heard about the FJ my enthusiasm has waned some. I think now I might just stay in my last-gen 4Runner for a few years. Plus, there is no way I will pay mark-up or even full sticker. If they turn out to be that popular, maybe Toyota will plan to build more next year.

I still think the report of a 41-foot turning radius must be a typo or something. How could it have a turning radius that much bigger than the 4Runner when it shares all the running gear? Perhaps because of the larger tires? If it's correct, that is a blow to offroad-ability.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Word was that we'd get ours on 3-27 but in Toyota's system yesterday it was advanced to ..... today or tomorrow.

The first two we have coming are both Yellow/White, an MT and an AT, both 4WD.

The AT stickers at....... $32000+
    Holy crap. $32K?

Any idea what the sticker is on the MT?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• thedarkknighttthedarkknightt Member Posts: 1
    I have a question if anyone knowledgeable on 'yotas can answer it...I have never owned or played with one..never had any friends that did either...I suppose I just dont get out much..

I like the looks of the little rig..except for the front suspension..I just can't stand the thought of having an independent suspension up there. I personally don't like them, and do not want it. Maybe I didn't do enough research..but since this is on a modified 3rd world chassis..can you put the more rigid "axle" from another model under there from another model? I've played with old Ford Bronco, Land Rovers and Jeeps... I have no problems compromising ride and the little on-road ability that I would give up (people have to realize these are not speed demons!) to make it more versitile off road.

Just asking..and yes..this is definitely one of those "will something off of this fit on that" questions.
    I believe that initially they are all going to come loaded to the gills. MT I'm guessing it will be ~ $30000.. verify tomorrow.

Here's an indication:

FitzMall which is a large discount internet store in the DC area ( Prius' are $1000+ off sticker!!! ) has the FJ's at sticker ranging from $28K+ to $31K+. Like us they seem to have 15 or 20 units 'available'.
    THat you will be dissapointed. It *is* that large a turning radius. It is vearly impossible to see out the rear of, and the dash is a plasticky disaster - tons of painted plastic that will loose the color around the edges and so on.

And then there's the bumper and grille. At the L.A. auto show they had the prototype and the pre-procusion model next to each other - maybe 20 ft apart. The concept was roped off, but anyone could reach over the ropes and touch/feel the prototype. It was also up on some fake rocks, so it was easy to look underneath.

The original - sealed beams and metal. Very solid, though thin gauge steel and aluminum.

The pre-production model - all plastic and plastic. Sealed-beams were gone - replaced by a flat plastic "lens" no better than a CD case. The grille was tap on it shaky and thin - like a typical Corolla. Now, this wouldn't be bad except it's a 4*4 marketed at supposedly, well, being used as such.

And then there's the bumper. The original - there are the "wings" on the edges - metal, like the rest. The pre-production - plastic. One had popped right off, in fact. bottom line - if you tap or hit *anything* with the bumper off-road, the grille or "wings" on the bumper will disintegrate.

Lastly, the original concept had glass everywhere. The rear quarter=panel window is plastic. Not glass. Plastic.

It just - I dunno such a let-down compared to the concept. Feels like they took a Tacoma or simmilar 4*4 and put a fake plastic toy body on it, much like how the H3 is.
    Drove past my local dealer and saw one in the distance, yellow with the white roof. I will have to stop by for a look-see after work.

• skitheoskitheo Member Posts: 7
    Look for AllPro Offroad to come out with a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) kit in the near future. See their web page.
    the one my local dealer got is LOADED UP with options packages. It is an automatic 4x4, yellow with white roof, and the sticker is just shy of $34 grand!!! I was encouraged to see that the base price for that model is less than $24K, and later on when they calm down a bit and start building less optioned-up trucks, it might begin to look like a deal.

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I don't think there are that many options to add $10K. It could only be at $34K because of a huge amount of dealer-installed junk and markup.
    Nope, uh uh. The Monroney sticker straight from Toyota was $33,8xx, none of it was dealer-installed. It was this package and that package. If there hadn't been a totally pesky salesman there like flies to poop, I would have had a better chance to tell you exactly what the packages were, but at least one that was over $1000 was a convenience package.