Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    The FJ Cruiser is sold mainly in the U.S. and Canada however the Middle East is also an area where the FJ Cruiser is sold as well. There are people who actually like the FJ and that why it has been selling!!!!
  • rhuewe1rhuewe1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok. I don't have time to dig thru all the chatter here, so apologies if this has been beaten to death already. I currently drive a '96 4runner, 95k miles. Love the brand. Its a beater as I have two labs, usually wet & in the back. Wife & daughter too. Yes, I'm a dweeb that never goes off-road. But I do need an suv or a van and I just cant do the van thing.

Anyway, to me, all SUV's look really the same. I like looks of the landrover but ain't gonna buck up for that. This FJ Cruiser is the only other one that to me seems big enough for my needs and looks different--cool even. But it'd be to please me, not the neighbors. I'm 43 and got over that stuff in my 30's or thereabouts. And I like the price. I guess im the targeted guy for the FJ? I may just run the 4runner til it dies, but am considering something new.

My question is am I nuts--is this a girlie-man mobile? My daughter is 1yr old --side airbags a bad idea? Thoughts? Its roomie vs a Rubicon, right?
  • sevenrocketonesevenrocketone Member Posts: 1
    Thoughts on towing? I am pushing it with my boat which is 5000lbs. I heard they under rate the towing capacity for longevity and liability.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    no retail trucks will be imported as long as the chicken tax tariff is still on the books.

For those of you that aren't aware there is a huge tariff imposed on trucks that are imported here. That why Toyota builds all the trucks it sells here and now in Mexico
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is true.

However there is a Free Trade Agreement ready for signing on the desks in Washington and in Thailand that when signed will cancel the 'chicken tax' on trucks from Thailand ( 2nd largest truck producer in the world ).

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/10/20031020-27.html
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    cancel the 'chicken tax' on trucks from Thailand

That is good and bad news. If they cannot bring in the small diesel trucks because of ignorant EPA/CARB regulations, who would want them? I have not found a small gas PU or SUV that gets enough gain in MPG to down size from a full size GM or Ford PU.
    When ULSD is readily available and diesels can be sold everywhere, why would trucks be built with anything other than diesel? It's in the works already in San Antonio and waiting in the wings in Thailand.

Ford has not released the new Ranger here but has done so in Thailand. Talk is the Ranger plant here is dead. Just awaiting the inevitible ( ULSD ).

I think all the majors have a pretty solid idea (know?) what the next 5 yrs look like and their plans are in place already to take advantage of the changes.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    The Party is OVER! I just saw a slew of FJs for almost $1k off MSRP... WOW, and it took less than 2 months!

FJ Consumers, rejoice because we will be at invoice in a few weeks... that is if you still want one...
    There is no such thing as a slew of FJ's.. methinks you jest. Good one ya almost had me goin.
  • bigpapidobigpapido Member Posts: 18
    where are you located? i just had a salesman call me saying he's willing to discount off MSRP now after basically laughing at me 2 months ago for saying that I was going to wait for the prices to come down. im not going to even look at them until prices drop to invoice though.
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    Of course he was laughing at you 2 months ago, he did not have any FJs to sell. My local dealer, Toyota DCH Simi Valley, is selling for MSRP and says he has a waiting list. They have none on the lot. Keyes Toyota, Van Nuys [much bigger] is the same.
  • bellarbellar Member Posts: 4
    2000 miles on it and the air filter is already pretty dirty. Seems the ait intake is located inside the front right fender and I drive on dirt roads 75% of the time. Obviously I need to move it....any thoughts?
    NO Joke, folks: Check the MD no-haggle dealerships...
    How?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's ok to post the dealership name and city; please don't post any names or contact info. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    please do post the dealar name and city, i have a wholesaer that will buy every one he has right now at that deal
    With about 1500 Toyota dealers in the US and Canada and a production run of 50,000 FJs this model year thats less than one a week for the average dealer. Any dealer that discounts would be making a less than smart business decision [a nice way of putting it]. I doubt the veracity of your post.
  • zoemarvinzoemarvin Member Posts: 1
    fitzmall has discounted FJs in great number. The xterra is a much better vehicle anyway and you can see out of the front and sides unlike the FakeJeep.
    I can understand some critics but people some of these remarks are really low and child like. Sure we're entitled to our opinions but lets be real, most of these BUTT HEADS weren't in the real world market of purchasing the FJ Cruiser in the first place, This forum isn't about real informative information. It's mostly about negative feedback based on BS. If you like the FJ you'll buy it, if you don't like it, simply don't buy it and shut the hell up!!!!!
    If you like the FJ you'll buy it,

If you are sensitive to seeing a vehicle criticized this is not a good place for you. Every car I have been interested in has negative comments on this forum. Toyota brought it on themselves. They threw big expensive ads in the off road magazines. They challenged the competition. Now it is time to pay the piper. If the FJ holds its own in the off road arena it will be praised. If it is not up to the competition it will get lots more bad press and comments. If you are happy with yours that should be all that matters. If you want to prove its prowess off road, get involved in one of the meets in your area.

And yes, I was excited when I heard that Toyota was bringing out the FJ Cruiser. Excited till I got a look at it. Just not what I had hoped for.
    I'm "associated with dealerships" in that I do sub work for a couple. One sells Mercedes the other Porsche, Audi and Ferrari. I was employed by a Toyota dealer body shop until 1994.
    I have to agree with ron41. Why would someone that detests a vehicle and has absolutely no intention of buying one make multiple posts bad mouthing it. Sure some criticism is both valid and informative, but very little here is. In what way is an FJ a "Fake Jeep"? I have posted what I dont like about the FJ. I have not joined an Xterra or Jeep forum to say what I dont like about them, why bother. Wranglers are fine as long as you dont mind lethargic street performance, a jolting harsh ride and poor reliability.
    As for proving the FJs off-road ability, its already been done. Check out the posts in "FJ cruiser-ih8mud".
    Fitzmall seems to have 15 FJ's listed in inventory on their Gaithersburg site today (6 of those appear to be available; the rest say "coming soon"). The Pennsylvania store looks to have one.

They are listed for around $1,000 off MSRP.

My neighbor down the block has the Black Cherry Pearl one back in his driveway again. He put his MINI on the market for a couple of days and then put it back in his garage. The FJ still doesn't have any sort of temporary or permanent (or dealer) plates on it, so I don't know if he bought it but I suspect he did.

I don't know him well enough to ask for a test sit. :sick:

Steve, Host
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    ...what he said.

There are 2 FJ's (blue & yellow) that have been on my local dealship's (Mike Erdman Toyota) lot in Merritt Island, FL for a few weeks. They are both at MSRP.
    i guess the definition of "a slew" is "two".
  • damnedyankeedamnedyankee Member Posts: 10
    i think the party is thinning you.

i visited 2 local dealers today, both had fj's on the lot and willing to deal at sticker.
    As for proving the FJs off-road ability, its already been done. Check out the posts

They drove the FJC some places I don't have the nads to drive anymore. Thanks for the link. You need one of those fancy after market front bumpers. That would help a lot.
    Gagrice is right about the FJ needing an after market bumper. There are already some cool looking, and functional, steel bumpers in the works. In a couple of months choices and prices should improve. With some BFG A/Ts, rock rails and different door mirrors I'll be set to go. I'm still shopping for decent mirrors. I paid alot of money[MSRP] so I'm not going to bolt some ugly crap on the doors. I dont care if they're power, as long as they look ok and are functional. Visability thru the stock mirrors is not only pathetic its dangerous.
    Today I was Hit from behind by a passenger car while waiting for the red light to change. The woman driver said she fell asleep at the wheel because she took some type of over the counter allergy medicine. Her car had serious front end damage: hood crushed up and in, dented front bumper. My Fj had a small black scratch (less than an inch) on the silver bumper, while the big black bumper had a small smudge and I swiped it off and it was fine. This women was going about 10 - 15 miles an hour. Who said the FJ was built cheaply ? I probably wouldn't have had a scratch if I had 3" lifts. Front bumper no damage.
    I like the looks of this bumper.

This one is very functional looking

The hood probably hit the spare tire and the bumper your receiver. I like FJs but the bumpers are not strong. In particular the silver bits are brittle plastic. Besides being more functional dont you think the one on the yellow FJ in the prior post looks way cooler? I figure a slightly used bumper assembly will be worth about $500+. Might be almost enough to pay for a decent steel replacement.
    Whether you juice up at the Pub or the Pharmacy, makes no difference. That lady should get a DUI. Man, I'd be ticked.
    Well, I just got back from Mike Erdman Toyota in Merritt Island, FL after test driving a FJ Cruiser 4WD w/roof rack & Yellow Ext. Man, this is such a fun vehicle to drive!!! My previous post about Mike Erdman selling at MSRP was wrong. These jokers want $4000 OVER MSRP of $30,000. As much as I liked the FJ, I think $34K is getting on the ridiculous side. Maybe we'll see some sanity return to the dealerships in the not too distant future.

Also, test drove a 2006 4Runner 4WD Sport Edition w/sunroof, X-REAS & upgraded JBL Synthesis stereo w/MSRP of $37,157.00, and was quoted $31,150.00. Whadda ya think?
    I figure a slightly used bumper assembly will be worth about $500+.

Pull off the original while it is perfect. Set it aside and it should be saleable in the near future. As soon as someone bangs theirs up you can sell it. Maybe even to your dealers body shop. I think the black one is more me.
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    Do these after market bumpers impact the operation of the air bag sensors?
  • borlaboyborlaboy Member Posts: 3
    :shades: have you guys been to www.fjcruiser.ca ? there are some great clips of the Fj's ability off road. I figure if any one is going to do more than that, then they are going to modify their vehicle just like Jeep owners do. To each their own...
  • borlaboyborlaboy Member Posts: 3
    I would almost definetly say YES, i would imagine that you'd have to remove the sensors out of the old bumper + the new one isn't designed to 'fold' like the stock one IS supposed to. Personaly i think the aftermarket bumper makes the truck look way better.
    The sensor/s are not mounted in the bumper usually. At least in the cars I've worked on. The sensor does not work by contact. The jolt from impact is what sets one off.
    While I never went off-road during my test drive a few days ago, I was very impressed w/the FJ Cruiser. I can't believe some the harsh comments about it, especially after having had such fun driving it for the little time I experienced. Sure, like any vehicle, you could tweak on it some to fit your individual tastes, but geez, this vehicle is a winner & a keeper, for sure. The comparison test article is a great read for someone that wants the real facts.
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    http://www.toyota.com/fj/ then bulletin, then trail teams, then videos, then trail videos.
    Anyone in So CA interested in an FJ Cruiser. It was white and sorta silver. No idea what they are asking. He told me it was not sold and I could buy it. My wife said no thank you the visibility looks bad. She did like the Scion Xb, roominess and visibility. Said it was SOOOO ugly that it was cute. We did not drive any of them. It is at El Cajon Toyota. Not high pressure at all.
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    but as soon as I saw an FJ Cruiser at a dealer lot as I passed by on the road, I was totally sold. A unique styling on Toyota's legendary quality, with sturdy SUV body structure with the reasonably pricing, is not found anywhere else. :) My high school children and I would enjoy driving this unique, youthful, and safety-featured SUV.
    I just got a ride in my bud's new FJ. It is a very nice ride if you can live with the visibility issues and the cave in the back...

News flash: he paid $2k under sticker. It is a 6MT and it spend 1 month on the lot! We will be at around invoice in a matter of (a couple) months...
  • oliverwinstnoliverwinstn Member Posts: 5
    I would like to add a winch to the front of my FJ.

Any recommendations on brand, price, etc?

Thanks

Oliver
    Warn is probably the most well known and has a good reputation. They make several models that fit some bumpers and not others. If you're going to mount a winch you will almost certainly need an after market bumper.
    In So Cal FJ's sell for sticker as fast as dealers get them. I doubt that any discounts will be offered around here this model year. I paid sticker for mine cos I wanted it now not in a year or so. Your bud might be one of those people that always claim they got a smoking deal whatever they pay. Kind of like the folk I know that love Vegas. They all claim to break even or win.
    I'm taking it in to get this air conditioner working the right way. Does anyone know what it needs and is anyone else having problems with cool air coming out when it's turned on high?
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    I am looking for an FJ Cruiser, Edmunds says the market price is about 2K over invoice

The best I can find in Atlanta is MSRP some are at $2.5K over MSRP.

What gives?? Who is discounting from MSRP? I am willing to travel east of the Missippi to save a couple thousand
    There are two independent Toyota distributors in the southern tier of states; Georgia is handled by Southeast Toyota and you may indeed get a better price in a different state.

Here's the help faq about it.

Steve, Host
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    How is the 4Runner 'mommified'?

Because it is a little bigger than the last generation? I don't think DAC, 4lo, ATrac and 9.2 inches of clearance as mommified. You can't even get a backseat DVD player in most 4Runners found on dealers lots. The only mechanical difference between the FJ and 4Runner is .5 inches of clearance and a little better departure angle.