Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• wfu1staidwfu1staid Member Posts: 2
    Hey gypsyjon, I have a dealer in my hometown that is at MSRP in my hometown in NC, but I am not sure what kind of information I can post and not violate the rules. If I am allowed to post my e-mail address I can exchange information with you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's ok to name dealers and location; please, no names of individual salespeople.

Check out the Toyota FJ Cruiser: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    the best that any body has posted that can be verified is fitzmall dealers in the north that were about 800-1,000 off in stock units. Supply and demand is driving the FJ Cruiser sells for the next year or so. Only 46,000 will be brought in to the the US and that is very small numbers. from what i understand Fitzmall is a huge dealer in theer area
  • ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    It wasn't a bad month for FJ Cruiser sales in Toyotaland
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    We thought you were going to buy up all of Fitzmall FJ stock? We forgot to "verify" all your statements...

BTW: Carmax has a slew of FJs in stock and they are also $500 off MSRP.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    I gave the wholesaler the info and he is supposedly dealing with them . he is trying to ship them overseas to his customers so logistics is a little diffrent there
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    Since you've found slews of discounted FJs I presume your enjoying the pleasure of driving one. Unless, of course, the price is way beyond your means and you only post to imply that we are suckers for paying MSRP?
    Nope, I believe that at these price levels, FJ does not offer just enough "value" for MYself.

I am sorry to hear your negativity! If you read my earlier posts, you will see that I had suggested waiting for prices to subside. Of course, there are some who are unable to wait for a variety of reasons but I do not think less of those... I do not make statements about their means, smarts, etc. I know that if I wanted to drive an FJ last month, I would have had to pay MSRP...

I post the price information for purely selfless reasons. Think about it: what is my financial reward for posting? On the other hand, there are posters here whose content clearly reflects their own self interest. Higher prices could mean higher profits? Even the motivation of TMV is dubious...
    Surely your the one that is being negative. What is "TMV"? I do work for dealers, but not Toyota. Of course [for self interest] I want my FJs value to remain high. Who would not?
    The problem with waiting for a discount is loss of use. For example by not waiting 10 months for a $1K discount It's costing me a whopping $3.33 a day to drive my FJ now. I think I can handle it.
    "Edmunds.com's True Market Value pricing system for new and used vehicles is the industry's best guide to market value pricing and the only pricing system designed with the consumer in mind."

True Market Value

Steve, Host
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    Steve,

Thanks a bunch...I went to a different state via phone..found just want I want for $2K under MSRP. My additional cost will be an elcheapo AirTran flight and gas to home. Plus the sales guy is picking me up at the airport and taking me for Tacos and beer!! Life is good.
    Personally, I think that TMV is much too high :mad: because those prices are often much much higher than the disclosed prices at carsdirect, carmax, fitzmall, etc. :surprise:

Futhermore, they are even higher than those mentioned at "prices paid" forums here at Edmunds.

Gypsyjon: congrats on your out-of-state deal! $2k off MSRP, eh?! ;)
    See folks all you have to do is go out of state on elcheapo AirTran to get a smoking deal.
    How about being a little more specific?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    TMV has a couple of major problems.
    - It alters your price based upon your zip code.
    - It alters the price based upon COLOR.
    Plus, the data is higher than a national chain like Carmax often charges(which is still several hundred more than you can haggle yourself)
    TMV is supposed to vary by zip code - for example, imports tend to sell better on the coasts and not as well in Michigan and TMV reflects those kinds of market variations. And some colors are worth more than others (I'd deduct a lot for a black car myself, but we hit 105 for a couple of weeks in my zip code every summer.) :shades:

This link describes how TMV is calculated and it's somewhat of an average (although the Ph.D. statisticians in the home office would pummel me if I said that in their hearing). An educated consumer (like the participants here) should be able to beat TMV unless the car is especially hot. Like, say, the FJ.

Steve, Host
    The problem with all the "averages" is that we are not given the methodology. All we know about TMV is that it "utilizes a complex proprietary formula that combines these factors."

For pricing, the TMV measure is pretty useless unless we also have the standard deviation! However, with that info (m)any of us could figure out (for example) what the lowest 10% are paying. What seller would want a buyer to know that?! :confuse:
    Suit yourself; it's another tool at your disposal that you can use to negotiate a new or used car price but no one is forcing you. ;) (link).

Steve, Host
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would not expect TMV to be 100% accurate. Two guys can walk into the same dealership on the same day and buy the same vehicle and be thousands of dollars apart on the final OTD price. Some folks think the price on the window is IT. Myself I would NEVER, EVER pay MSRP for any vehicle on earth. Any thing over Invoice is money down the TOILET. If someone is so anxious to throw money away on a hot selling vehicle. Hey, a car salesman will be happy to oblige. You are the guy that makes their day. Today's hot selling car is tomorrows bargain.
    It gets kind of tricky when the dealer sells the same vehicle twice. :shades:

Even if you get a deal at invoice, you're going to lose thousands when you drive off the lot. But not everyone wants to drive a used car and not everyone wants to drive a generic Camcord either.

Don't forget we have a Toyota FJ Cruiser: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion where you can compare real world prices.

Steve, Host
  • wfu1staidwfu1staid Member Posts: 2
    Congrats to gypsyjon, I would be interested to know where also. I was talking about the dealer in Greensboro, NC offering at MSRP.

On another topic I saw an all black FJ going down the road today and it looked sweet. Is that a custom paint job or going to be a special edition from Toyota because I might want to order one of those.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    CAT has warned all the dealers about wholesale buyers. It's an old trick and one that Fitz is not likely to fall for.

"Uhh, Hello, I'd like to buy all the FJ's you have in stock.'

Not likely. We get about 10/mo and the rule is if you aren't a current client of one of our 5 stores you can't get one. Brokers/wholesalers need not apply.
  • toyotasalestoyotasales Member Posts: 8
    I am a dealer in Minnesota and our Fjs are discounted $500. We have three in stock and three more due within a week.
  • toyotasalestoyotasales Member Posts: 8
    Walser Toyota in Bloomington Minnesota is $500 off MSRP
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    Thanks a lot guys, but I found a dealer in Ohio who will discount $2k off MSRP on internet sales. I am from Atlanta and will be flying up this weekend to pick it up. Flight is free with FF miles on Delta. My cost is gas home. I am saving a bunch compared to buying in Atlanta.
    Where in Ohio?
    Gypsyjon may not want to say until after the papers are signed. ;)

Steve, Host
    How do I send you an e mail?
    Just click on my name in the post title to get my profile. Any member who doesn't mind being contacted off the boards can mark their email address "public" in their Community Profile.

Steve, Host
    It says your address is "private". So how do I send you an e mail?
    Hmmm, says it's public when I look at my profile. Must be a bug. Meanwhile, stever@edmunds.com works, but you'll have to type it in since the "@" signs are tweaked in the discussions to try to foil spam harvesters and cutting and pasting will leave the @ out.

Steve, Host
  • mikeblymikebly Member Posts: 3
    I've only seen fully loaded models. Anyone seen any base models without options?
    Many rustbelt states with high concentrations of Big3 plants (and employees) are good marks for getting big discounts off import models. Similarly, many import prone larger cities may continue to sell high demand models (like FJ in Southern Cal) closer or at MSRP.

Given that it costs under $1k to ship a vehicle across the country, it is frequently cheaper to buy one out of state and have it shipped. Furthermore, the shipping is typically cheaper than cost of driving+flying+time. ;)

Been there, done that! :P
    Wet rag and a leaf blower....

FJ Cruiser: Easy clean up

Steve, Host
  • bposebpose Member Posts: 1
    My platinum FJ with only auto and side airbags is due to be delivered in a week. My dealer's allocation included this vehicle and I attached my name to it about two months ago. The sales mananger indicated that Toyota was likely to make fewer "basic" models as the year goes on. I am doing an additional "dealer upgrade" to alloy wheels.
    FYI--price paid was MSRP.
    There are lots of people that would like to sell their alloys and get the more practical [for off-road] steelies.
  • mike2522mike2522 Member Posts: 4
    if some one wants to buy my steelies i will sell them in a heartbeat.
    Air-Raid has an intake for the FJ and i guess it came out a few weeks ago. I bought mine at four wheel parts in El Cajon for $219. The company claims 15 horse power gain and 12 ft lbs or torque. the torque is extremely noticable. my mpg have gone up since install.
    If I was allowed to I would ask how much and post my e mail address! {I would not want the tires.]
    I put a TRD intake on my Tundra but did not notice a difference in mileage, still atrocious. What improvement in mpg do you think your getting and what grade of fuel are you using.
    I want the alloys just until i can buy the ones i want. The TRD intake sucks from what i hear. i am getting about 2 more mpg from stock with the AIR- RAID intake. JBA is doing testing on headers and exhaust right now.
    That is pretty good. I'd spend that much for an extra 2mpg and a bit more power. What grade of gas are you using? On one forum guys claim they get better mpg and more h.p. with high octane. So maybe using regular is not saving money?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Does your manual recommend Premium? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Premium is eecommended for max performance. but I, like many others, use mid-range or regular with no apparent ill effect.
  • krusherfjkrusherfj Member Posts: 1
    Very interesting. I have been pleasantly surprised as I got 21.3 (60 city/40hwy) using 89 the last tank. Started at 19.3 and has went up about each time.
    I kinda doubt that an air raid would add to that?..... is it loud?? thanks
    I see that some of y'all have found Karl's rant on the premium subject this morning:

"I love the FJ, but I'm surprised to see a "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" sticker under the fuel door. Not even "Recommended" but "Only."

2007 FJ Cruiser -- Gotta Give it the Good Stuff (Karl on Cars)

Steve, Host
    The intake isn't loud at all. i use only premium fuel, and in san diego the cost can be a pain in the wallet. i have to wait till the headers and the exhaust come out till i truly find out how much power i have to the wheels but i can feel the power and see the gas mileage go up since i got the intake.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Please drop me an email, my address is in my profile. Just a suggestion, you might want to update your profile and make your email addy public.
  • haulin79haulin79 Member Posts: 7
    There is a update bulletin from Toyota that says there is a mistake in the manual and that regular gasoline IS acceptable. Visit or call your Toyota dealer and ask for Bulletin PP06-VG6027.
  • maxloadmaxload Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info!
    Does this mean that Toyota is going to replace the Premium Only fuel tank label that Karl was complaining about?

Steve, Host
  • steenhsteenh Member Posts: 103
    I see a recall in the works... "we are going to have to have you bring in your new FJ Cruiser so we can put this 1/2 cent sticker on your fuel door". Ugh!!!

Thought I had read that makers only use the Premium fuel only/recommended because that's the fuel they use when they calc MPG and HP.

Is that right? I put regular in my LC and have for years with no problems.