Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    A couple years ago Toyota and Honda got dinged for advertising higher HP than was possible with Regular. It was because they did their HP testing using high test gasoline. Now they have to market with the fuel used to get the HP rating. I guess they figured you wouldn't mind running Premium in your FJ.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    What they figured is that if they run more of the "fleet" on premium and get better milage on the fleet as a whole... or even each model. Many consumers only look at MPG not cost/Mile because enough consumers could not be bothered to do the math.... and that is what the federal gov't watches. ;)

Similarly, everyone should have heard by now that the premium on hybrids is too high given the cost savings... yet, the demand for those vehicles remains strong even outside of the areas where hybrids can drive in a car-pool lane. :confuse:
  • noidnoid Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to this forum.

Just bought a new FJ Cruiser Wed night. How does the
    security system work? I can't seem to make it go off,
    which makes me wonder if it is installed or activated.
    I see the alarm listed on my window sticker and the dealer
    said it had one, yet I'm not sure how it works or how you
    program it, etc. I looked quite a bit on the web, but
    couldn't really find anything. I can't call my dealer until
    Monday and I bought it out of town!

Otherwise, I really love the car thus far.
  • jcngangjcngang Member Posts: 1
    You must be a very little man if you can't see out of the FJ. My wife is 5'4" and has no problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or very big using a reclined seat back (I think that's called ghetto style).

I'm not wild about high belt lines myself. Interesting blog about the issue last week.

Steve, Host
  • brianj1brianj1 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering the purchase of a new FJ and was wondering from current owners if you can fold the rear seats down so the cargo area is completely flat. I tried it at the dealer and it did not go all the way down and the rep was worthless. I apprecaite anyones help with this question.
  • ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    If you remove the headrests in the back and the seat portion of the backseat it will flatten more.
    But does it flaten completely from back to front?
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    No.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Open the window and lock all the doors with the remote, wait about 2 minutes then reach in thru the window and open the door with the latch, this should cause the alarm to go off.
    I'm still trying to decide which way to go. Did anyone evaluate both vehicles and if so why did you chose the FJ over the Xterra? Thanks.
    New discussion for that comparison:

Nissan Xterra vs. Toyota FJ Cruiser.

There's also a Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. Jeep Wrangler discussion in case anyone has missed it.

Steve, Host
  • voodoofjvoodoofj Member Posts: 1
    Bought mine in Olathe, Kansas for $1700 under list with free tires for the life of the vehicle. Listed for 28,800 bought for 27000. :)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " free tires for the life "

I'm curious, in your contract do you also have to do all of the "dealer recommended" service at their shop?
    "Free tires for life" is that the salesman's life or yours? Depending on where and how you drive that could be an incredibly expensive promise. Was that in writing and if so do you own a magnifying glass. Well done on the sales price.
    Oops. Anyway, one of my coworkers, who also bought an FJ,
    said I should wait 6 months before waxing mine to let the
    paint cure.

I remember it was 90 days with my camaro.

Any opinions?
    Thats baloney. I'm an auto painter and have been since before many of the posters here were born. Many years ago [with lacquers especially] applying wax too early, usually within 30 days, could cause "solvent pops" but even then it only applied to repaints. Modern baked/catalyzed factory paint is usually waxed at least once prior to delivery. The paint on your FJ was "cured" before it left the factory.
  • hawaii101hawaii101 Member Posts: 10
    When I showed up to pick mine up the detailer at the dealership was finishing up waxing mine. Since then I've buffed it out myself with the only side effect being more looks from the gawkers as I drive down the road. The only reason to wait to wax is that you have better things to do on your day off...
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    ;) Picking mine up at Jim White Toyota in Toledo, OH on Sat AM.

Got a loaded FJ for $2,000 under MSRP.

A Delta Skymiles one way from Atlanta to Toledo and gas home.

Some dealers in Atlanta are selling them for MSRP + $2,500!!!

Boy isn't the internet a wonderful thing?
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    If you can go outside the SouthEast Toyota Distributors you can usually get a better deal. SE is owned by JM Family Enterprises and is the only distributorship of its kind in North America. The other distributors are owned by Toyota.
    I have found that I can usually save nearly $2000.00 by going north of Georgia.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    A bit OT, but was wondering if this Southeastern annomaly was true for Toyota's Lexus models as well?
    Actually Gulf States Toyota is the other "captive" Toyota distributor in the US.

Don't know about the Lexus distribution question; JM has a Lexus dealership but it doesn't sound like they distribute any (link).

Steve, Host
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    :surprise: This is really interesting...I just googled JM Fam. Enterprises, the exclusive Toyota distributors in Ga, Al, NC, and couple other states...anyway, it appears that they own the 2 Atlanta Toyota dealerships that are selling FJ's for MSRP + $2,500.

I may not have this correctly, but that is what it looks like...World Toyota and Stone Mountain Toyota...Hummmm anyone know for sure?
    Hard to say - looks like Stone Mountain is owned by The Harrell Companies and World is owned by Group 1 Automotive Inc. Whether there's a connection beyond getting their cars through SouthEast Toyota would require more digging, and JM is a private company.

Steve, Host
    This forum should be renamed "Prices paid and buying experience" unless Edmunds already has one of that name! How about devoting this one to questions about specs, best tires, suitable add-ons and stuff like that?
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    If they are selling Toyotas in Georgia they are getting them through SE Toyota and JM Family Enterprises. Jim Moran is extremely Wealthy. But the part that drives the prices up is that he adds many extras on the Toyotas he sales. They usually are not Toyota branded extras. They do silly add on and charge way to much for them. Even if you don't want them they're already added and they won't remove them.
    So I just drive up to Tennessee. If more people would do that JM would stop this nonsense.
    Good point - there are two related discussions for buying FJs:

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Lease Questions

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Steve, Host
    Lately this forum hasn't been interesting
    The stars are flying for the FJ Cruiser in the Government Crash Testing, go http://safercar.gov/ncap/cars/3728.html
    Exactly what I was thinking. Most of these posts are on the wrong forum. I would like to know about why things like "why is an O.M.E. lift better /or worse than a Rev tek". Or " what is the best all terrain tire for my FJ?". There is already an Edmunds forum about buying/or not evperiences.
    Is it normal for your compass text to be flashing on & off?
    No, :confuse: take it in to the service dept at the Toyota dealership :surprise:
    I must go this isn't the forum for ME!!!!!!!!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Before you bail out. Did Toyota get your FJ AC pumping out cold air?
  • mikeblymikebly Member Posts: 3
    How long would it take to order a base model, 6 speed , with the only options being side air bags?
    I felt stupid but when I took my FJ to the service dept he said I must push in the circulation button and the AC button. That's when the AC started blowing freezer air. It's GREAT NOW
    For NEVER
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Toyota ought to watch out for this distrbutor. Its looks to me that this distributor is creating negative value for their brand.
  • o6chevyhhro6chevyhhr Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone,

Who on here has the Diecast 1/18 scale replica Fj that they got when they bought theirs? Is anyone willing to sell it to me, i am looking for a blue one? Let me know
    Try eBay.

Steve, Host
    ebay is too expensive , i would pay 40 buck for one but not 150
    Well, the ones I saw were asking $55 - and eBay is set up for buying and selling (we're not).

There's some die cast companies out there too, but only saw one FJ for $80. Try an ad on Craigslist.com - they're free. And if you mark your email public in your profile, someone willing to sell could contact you off the boards.

Steve, Host
    thanks steve i posted an add on that site! :)
  • bbug1bbug1 Member Posts: 76
    Yes....that is, until you calibrate your compass. We haven't done ours yet--requires some sort of driving in a circle yada yada. Maybe this weekend we'll take care of this, but for now I've gotten used to the flashing compass text.

The FJ Cruiser: Campground Hero Scroll down in the blog for more camping photos.

Here's my version. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • chiefjojochiefjojo Member Posts: 39
    The FJC has slight advantages in engine power, departure angle (30 vs 28 I think), tires (32" vs 31") and 4WD traction goodies (4R had either ATRAC or rear locker, but not both like FJC). They are both similar dimensions, but the 4R is narrower, nimbler, lighter, has 4 full doors, more storage space, and is arguably more attractive. Thoughts?
  • oliverwinstnoliverwinstn Member Posts: 5
    I ordered it from the factory with the hitch and this is the one I received. Is that correct? Did everyone else get this one?

I'm a little concerned because of the brand and it decreases approach angle.

Scott

no , mine it Toyota