Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    Not to mention, the FJ is WAY cool and the 4 Runner is just a ride... ;)
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    That's not what mine looks like - it's all black and has a rubber thingie in it that has Toyota printed on it. I could shoot you a picture, but don't know where you are.
  • johnnjjohnnj Member Posts: 14
    OK, I'm thinking of trading in my '01 Yukon XL Denali for an FJ Cruiser which my wife will be driving. I just want to know what are your complaints or your likes of the FJ. I know I'll be losing alot of room between the 2 vehicles but in a short version, GM does not stand behind their vehicles.

Thanks

John
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Johnnj, the truth is that many automakers, including Toyota, Honda and even Infiniti and Lexus, do not stand behind their vehicle, not as much as joe-consumer would like. For example, try having them do something for warped rotors after 20-25k miles of "normal" street use (my last Toy went to 95k on its front set; it is a stick... ). A friend did not succeed with this problem on his Lexus!?

However, with many Toys like the FJ you may not have to take in for much beyond standard maintenance: fluids, filters, battery, bulbs, etc. In my view that reliability is the biggest difference! Typically, Toy dealers are seen as some of the worst but selling some of the best "quality" products.

On the flip side, FJ is in its first year of production and even though it is derived from the 4Runner and other Landcruisers sold overseas, they may be some "imperfections" in the body & interior which are new; however the drive terrain should be rock solid because it is has been around a for a few years.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I agree w/you on the mfg'ers not always standing behind their product, but a warped brake rotor is the wrong analogy. You can easily warp a brake rotor 15 minutes after leaving the car lot in a brand new vehicle. All you have to do is heat the rotors up real good w/a few hard stops and then drive through a deep puddle of water. That'll usually warp a rotor every time.
  • lab_guylab_guy Member Posts: 1
    I heard about your FJ!!! I was there the same day picking mine up. I live north of detroit and was in town to pick up my black cherry FJ that came in at the same time. Your FJ was the talk of the dealership. Not to mention the distance you had to travel to get it. I had no trouble finding mine on the lot because of the crowd of onlookers surrounding it. I have done business with Jim White Toyota for years, they have always treated my family well.
    COOL!!! I had a blast going up there to get it and had a great trip home...I was planning on spending the night in Lexington KY, but got there at 5PM...I was having such a good time I just kept going and got back to Hotlanta at just after midnight!!

What a fun weekend that was..

Regards,

Gypsy Jon :)
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    The longer I own my FJ the more I like it. Yesterday I tried going up a very steep sandy slope [I could not walk up without using my hands]. I got stuck after a few yards then turned on the A trac. It really sounds weird [I'm told that is normal] but the result was fantastic. Within seconds I was crawling to the top. My wife said it looked strange to watch how the drive moved from wheel to wheel. With IFS I doubt the FJ will make a great rock crawler, but, with the right tires, it will be awesome in snow, mud or sand. For those of you without A trac all you have to do is buy a switch. All the necessary hardware is already in all auto trans FJs. I'm not sure about manuals.
  • detourdetour Member Posts: 4
    I test drove the FJ in April and liked it, but I've got a few reservations about it that are making me lean towards the RAV4 instead. First, there's the gas mileage. I can see the EPA estimates, but I'm wondering what sorts of mileage FJ owners are really getting. Most of the driving I do currently is in the city, mostly for short trips, so any information about actual city mileage would be very helpful.

The second reservation with the FJ is about the cramped back seats and the flip-out doors. What do people who have travelled in the FJ's back seats have to say about them?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Toyota FJ Cruiser: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage over there.

We can stick with this discussion for the back seat and the flip-out doors responses. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    It does not look like anyone is interested in a forum dedicated to gas mileage. As for the back seat and flip out doors I would not want to sit back there very long but its ok for short trips. The FJ is not a great family vehicle. Thats why I also own a Camry.
    Last weekend I used the FJ to tow a pop up tent trailer and the mileage dropped from about 18 to 14.
    lol, it just opened about 15 minutes ago, and on a Sunday no less. Give it a few days at least. :P

Steve, Host
    I have read my FJ manual from cover to cover and need advice in regard to towing.

In the past every vehicle I have owned, stated clearly in the manual, not to tow with the tranny in overdrive. In other words tow with the torque converter locked out.

In the FJ manual, it says to tow in 4th I believe it is, but only for the reason of increased engine braking. I plan on towing a pair of Sea-doos to Florida and do not need engine braking while on the freeway and I am not sure if I need to tow in a gear down from highest or not.

Does this thing have a torque converter that will be damaged if I tow in the highest gear?

The manual is very unclear on this point.

TIA
  • ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    I have a 4x4 auto FJ without the roof rack and get about 16 to 17 mpg in the city, I haven't really done any long term highway driving to get an accurate hwy count! The few adults who sat in the back seats like it back there no complaints. I'm 21 but the ages of folks in the backseats have ranged from 20 something thru sixty something. Okay I had to help my sixty something aunt out of the truck :blush: !!!! The RAV 4 is cool too but I perfer the FJ Cruiser for the strength, appearance, performance and cool factor. Right now I'm really not tripping on gas mileage. If that was the case, I could have kept my 2005 Corolla S. :shades:
  • tacomaownertacomaowner Member Posts: 5
    I just Washed My FJ for the first time. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use on the all the Black Plastic surfaces ( Fender Flares & Bumpers ) to keep them from fading and preserve them? I am familiar with armor all and son of a gun., but has anyone found a superior product? My Tacoma doesn't have the Black trim so it has been a while since I have had the need. :)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    http://www.novuspolish.com/

There is absolutely nothing better. Armor All and the others actually destroy the vinyl and rubber over time as they leech out oils from them in order to make it that shiny. This product works on fiberglass, clearcoats, and of course, pastic. Rubber and vinyl won't work at all.

Gaming supply stores and boating stores tend to carry it(it's widely used for pinball playfields as well), though you cna order it online. #1 is a spray with *zero* grit in it - it's what you want to use. #2 is semi-abraseive, like typical liquid car wax - just rub gently as it'll make scratches otherwise. $3 is essentially plastic polishing compound.

As for application, use a random-orbital buffer with #1 - it's very much like pure Carnuba in that it's watery/thin and requires working into the paint a tiny bit. BY hand, it takes a few minutes per secotion of the car - with the buffer, seconds. :)

It's also good for plastic headlights - it'll keep them from ever turning yellow.

**edit** - if the car is brand new, hand-wiping it should be sufficient. I personally use a Dremel with a buffing pad for smaller areas.
    Early part of July Toyota will be contacting some of the first 9,000 FJ owners to bring in their trucks to have the mounting checked in the tires. Notice was announced today 6/26/06 :confuse:
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    Toyota will initiate a Special Service Campaign (Safety Recall) on certain early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles.

On June 26, 2006, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles. During the tire-to-wheel assembly process for the 2007 FJ Cruiser equipped with either Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70R17 113S or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S tires, there is a possibility that the inner bead of the tire may have been damaged. If the bead is damaged, a bulge may develop on the sidewall of the tire and/or air may leak from the area of the damaged bead.

Toyota will contact the customers. Toyota will begin mailing around July 5th.

Not all VIN's are included. If you wish you may certainly contact your local Toyota Service Center and they can verify eligibility over the phone.

VIN Ranges:
    VDS: BU11F Range: 0001029 – 0011264
    VDS: ZU11F Range: 0001017 – 0002528

As this is not a tire manufacturer recall, but a Toyota recall, customers will be instructed to bring their vehicle into an authorized Toyota dealer.

There are approximately 9,000 FJ Cruiser (early 2007 Model Year) vehicles involved in the U.S

All customer inquires should be directed to the Toyota Customer Experience Center
    at 1-800-331-4331.

Steve, Host
  • o6chevyhhro6chevyhhr Member Posts: 6
    Aumorall works great for that i detail cars thats what i use on the Dash and plastics inside and out, plastics that look old look new after spraying some of it one, hope this helps.
    Regarding rubber, I once called Michelin about this, and they strongly advised me to never put anything on their tires to makes them shiny, etc. The reason given was the same as a previous poster stated in that these products leach out the oils and ultimately destroy/weaken the rubber.
    :mad: I just stopped at Cobb County Toyata here in Georgia to get a set of locking lug nuts. They ONLY come in sets of 4!!!

We need 5, 1 for the spare tire...What's wrong with these guys?? Must be the marketing guys have never looked at an FJ???
  • mrandersonmranderson Member Posts: 2
    I believe Toyota's thinking is that you only need 1 locking nut per wheel to prevent theft. My landcruiser came with only 1 lock nut per wheel. After, the socket becomes warn, you'll wish you hadn't put these locking nuts on. They'll strip and the only way you can get them off is to bring them into a tire dealer where they will charge you anywhere from $5 to $20 per nut to remove them. If you're not in a high theft area, I'd save your money and not put them on.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    GM does not stand behind their vehicles.

-------> Welcome to the club...
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Folks, can anyone think of anyone they know, who had tires stolen off their vehicle?

Besides, your insurance should cover that
    I bet you are right in thinking you only need 1 per wheel..but my FJ has 5 wheels that need locking including the spare hanging on the back all free and easy to swipe..
    You're right about needing to lock your spare cos otherwise anyone with a lug wrench could steal it in 2 minutes but what is the point in putting locks on the other wheels. Ask anyone that works in a body shop or tire shop and they will tell you how they bust lug locks off in 30 seconds or less. A thief will take the whole vehicle to a nice quiet chop shop and dismantle it at leisure. Like another poster said I've never heard of just the wheels getting stolen.
    I hate to disappoint some of you but: I had my rear set of tires stolen and the bastards dropped my the rear end of car on the the pavement :mad: . It was many moons ago but it really did happen. Insurance did give me a few bucks but I still had to come up with some money too: the stolen parts were "depreciated"! OUCH! Furthermore it took a few weeks to get the money and it was pretty difficult to drive with only 2 tires... :cry:
    I had the same thing happen on my Blazer only they took all 4 plus the spare, which hangs underneath....its pretty easy to be sanctimonious whe you have never had the experience.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Heck, they stole my whole truck and used it to haul illegals across the border. It was trashed when they found it. $2200 to get it back in good condition. Insurance would not cover any of the stolen contents. all my tools and a camera. You just cannot protect against all eventualities.
    "Sanctimonious"? An odd word word to use. It mean to show piety, false or otherwise, or to be "holier than thou"?.
    I admit I was wrong about wheels only being stolen, but its rare, probably kids, and locks might have been a deterrent. They [locks] will make no difference to a pro, especially since most people put the key either in the glove box or next to the jack. If you ever lose the key take an old socket, slightly undersized, and smack it over the lock. Then remove the lock with a ratchet. This can be done quietly using a rubber mallet.
  • psouthcanpsouthcan Member Posts: 1
    I would recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's much better than Armor All IMO. It offers UV protection and can be used on the black exterior trim and on the interior trim. It also works well on the rims as a dust barrier.

For certain plastics (i.e. clear headlights, tinted windows, etc.), I would recommend Plastex. It's used on the stealth bomber canopy to clean and protect.

You can also check out autotopia for more detailed discussion on car detailing.
    I've used 303 for years but Vinylx seems about as good and around here it's a little cheaper.

Steve, Host
    Personally, I still think those locks are more hassle than they are worth. They are very very prone to failure! If you get a flat (very common on trail)and you strip the unit, you could get stranded... :sick: that is a no-no for an offroader where KISS is more appropriate.

I would think that wheel locks are more prudent for a street car that spends too much time in the dark alleys.

Do some of you also find it amusing :surprise: that there a discussion on tire detailing for an off-road vehicle?
    Why not? Sometimes a person might want their truck looking clean and and well groomed!! It's okay for the FJ to get dirty but lets get real. The truck really does clean up well !! I'm 21 and if I take my lady friend out on a date, I don want her getting in a dirty truck! :shades:
    I agree with Abraindrainer. I'm sure we all want to keep our FJs clean, but how many posts are there here on vinyl dressing compared to posts on say best off-road tire? I thought my post on A Trac would get a few responses but not one. Sadly it seems that many of the earlier posters were correct and most FJs will never go anywhere a 2 wheel drive cannot. Have any of you even put your FJ in 4 wheel drive?
    A friend told me he was trying to wait until the fall to purchase a FJ. If FJ's sales keep a good pace, Toyota probably won't discount them. I've put my fJ in 4 wheel drive, it's great! ;)
    I just saw my second FJ a short while ago (I see my neighbor's in his drive all the time). Today's sighting was one of those yellow-orange colored ones (Sun Fusion?). Either it was brand new or the owner had detailed it this morning. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I see either one silver colored one a lot or there are half a dozen all the same in the Lakeside area of San Diego County. He must drive up and down the road all day long. Maybe he thinks if he never stops no one can steal his wheels and tires.
    Well....they ARE fun to drive!!!! :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    it would be better if the wheels/tires got stolen.
    anyone get an email from toyota yet?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Is it just my FJ or are all the factory subwoofers crap? I dont notice any difference when its on.
  • cloned_2_deathcloned_2_death Member Posts: 22
    >>> Heck, they stole my whole truck and used it to haul
    >>> illegals across the border. It was trashed when they
    >>> found it. $2200 to get it back in good condition.

Yeah, Border Patrol's problems with illegal Canadians constantly sneaking across the border is getting ridiculous!

;)
  • noidnoid Member Posts: 5
    What can you plug into the iPod jack besides an iPod?
    >>> Is it just my FJ or are all the factory subwoofers
    >>> crap? I dont notice any difference when its on.

They ARE crap. The subwoofer is just a waste of space and money. (Reason # 37 to wait for Toyota to start selling FJ Cruisers that aren't loaded with $5000 worth of useless options. (Gotta love that hideous inclinometer instrument cluster and the just-waiting-to-get-trashed-the second-you-head-off-pavement alloy wheels they put on this supposed OFF-ROAD vehicle...)
    >>> What can you plug into the iPod jack besides an iPod?

I can't wait to hear the punchline for this one...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What can you plug into the iPod jack besides an iPod?

iPeanutButter? ;)

tidester, host
    I think you're pretty much stuck plugging an iPod in - but you can get other stuff to plug into the iPod headphone jack (cameras, more speakers, phones, FM radio receivers, voice recorders, etc.).

Steve, Host
    I plug my iRiver in there as well as my XM satellite radio..I have the Roady and I just use the same cord that I use for my iRiver..in my earlier vehicle I used the cassette thingy to play it
    It seems to make no difference with the radio, but it does enhance the bass with my iRiver and with my XM radio...not sure why it is so different with the differnent audio sources....I have not tried playing a CD in there yet...