Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• hardtop1hardtop1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how you can disable or work around the Daytime Headlights? The owners manual directions leave the parking lights on? I need a work around for this vehicle which has the daytime running lights feature?

Thanks for all help and or direction to the answer.
  • componentcomponent Member Posts: 7
    Beavis laughs.
  • canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    I got lucky and got a loaded 4WD auto for invoice. I still can't believe it. It's more than I wanted to pay, due to it being loaded, but I couldn't pass up the price. I deal with the extra payment for all the extras at a minimal price.
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    You could also just wait a month or so. The local dealer here has 18 on his lot. Think he (or anyone else) won't be quickly dropping their price as soon as people come in who are willing to wait a little. This same thing happened when the Miata and new VW Bug came out. People went wild, spent way over sticker just to be the "first". Take a deep breath, walk out of the dealership and keep your money in your own pocket. You will kick yourself when you could have waited and bought the car 2k cheaper in 6 weeks
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Forget their crap from these :lemon: stealerships. FJ is no longer commanding those kinds of premiums. :surprise:

Check Carmax or Fitzmall and you will see that these no-haggle stores only ask a few hundred over invoice now! As you may note, there is plenty of stock too. I still contend that the FJ will sell at the same discounts as do the 4Runners (Invoice less $2-3k). Give it a few more months and it will be easy to pick up an FJ for well under invoice.

Print out an example and if they still give you the run around, fly into one of these places and pick up a unit...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I didn't price one with your options, but TMV for a FJ in my zip code is about $20 off MSRP. That's not a lot, but indicates that prices have fallen a little, at least in the old line haggle dealerships.

Check the Toyota FJ Cruiser: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Steve,

Frankly, TMV is totally useless because it is often thousands above prices posted at no-haggle dealerships. Even a couple of emails will show that that TMV is rediculously high.

Of course, not all markets are created equal but if your area dealers are marking vehicles like FJ up, it is not hard to buy from anywhere else in the country and ship it home for under $1k.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    That's why I quote from Cars Direct. Punch in your zip-code and get a "buy it now" price.
    totally useless because

I think that's a bit overstated. TMV is based on many sources and to judge on the basis of a few "data points" from a single venue is a stretch.

Check out Edmunds.com How We Calculate New TMV

tidester, host
    TMV is defined as method that "utilizes a complex proprietary formula". Basically, we have no idea how this number is derived. However, none of my friends, whom I helped with information collection process, have paid anywhere near that mark. Clearly, it is ALWAYS too high!

I encourage you or anyone to compare TMV to prices from places like fitzmall or carmax and you will quickly see that TMV is NOT at all accurate ("worthless" may have been too harsh). Interestingly, it always errors on the same side!

In MD where fitzmall and carmax are located, the FJ TMV is right around MSRP but those dealerships are posting asking prices that are at least $1,500 below MSRP. I checked the the disparity for the '07 4Runner it is even more unreasonable...
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    You dont mean that you have friends that have bought an FJ do you? I would have thought you would have persuaded them to buy an Xterra, H3 or anything but an FJ. Would you ever buy one?
    I paid sticker 6 months\9000 miles ago. Would I have been better off to wait and possibly save a grand? I dont think so. It,s much like buying a plasma tv. The price slowly gets lower but if you never buy you never get to enjoy.
    The formula takes into account things like color. A big source of data comes from actual sales however.

That's not to say that someone who's done their research can't beat TMV. You're here so obviously you are schooled in buying cars, and it's nice that you are helping your friends get good deals. Keep it up! :shades:

A great place to cross-check used TMV values is the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion.

For new prices, you can compare recent deals in Toyota FJ Cruiser: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.
    You dont mean that you have friends that have bought an FJ do you?

Yes... I have friends, do you? FYI: My friend paid about $500 over invoice a few months ago.

I tried to convince him to buy a 4Runner... I own an older model... that needs replacing. I like the concept and guts of the FJ, the interior/exterior are only so-so. The price is a no-no for me, not at this level of utility. I could buy one (today) but I probably won't in the current form. I think that there are too many better choices for me. FJ was right at the top of my list but...

MSRP within the first couple months of launch is reasonable and I am not passing judgement on timing because not everyone is flexible enough. If your wheels get totalled or die, there is not much opportunity to wait things out.

I am glad you are enjoying your FJ, I am enjoying a few extra dollars to be spend on something else later...
    Thank you for the compliment but I am actually only schooled in information warfare as well as information economics! :shades: I wish more consumers could understand the current state of affairs... :confuse: then there would be much less price discrimination on a good that is almost a pure commodity.

You are right, forums such as Prices Paid & Buying Experience are a much better resources than TMV.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Condiering a 4x4 auto with convenience pkg and upgrade #2, and a roof rack. The best I've found is $700 under MSRP. Is that fair or should I be able to do better? I'm in the LA area. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Tidester,

There was a short article a few weeks back highlighting some SEMA modifications to the FJ Cruiser, including a sun roof. Do you know where I can find it? I did a brief search and found the story about the TRD FJ Cruiser, but not the store I was seeking.

Thanks for your help. ;)

Murphydog.
    Murph, would this be it?

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee956f3?@@

tidester, host
    Yes it is.

Thank you for your efforts on this! :shades:
    There was a picture of a yellow FJ that had the "bob" tail, that is it was made into a small pick up bed in the SEMA article. Not my cup of tea, but the same vehicle also had a sunroof. The hint was that some of the modifications to the yellow FJ were just for SEMA, but others were upcoming factory "options".

Does anybody know if the sunroof is an upcoming options?

I really like the FJ, however it really needs a big sunroof to be complete!
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    This vehicle suits every mood of me. Alot of my friend who are my age love this vehicle and can not believe that the makers only thought it would appeal to 20 something guys

I am yet to see a 20-something guy driving this SUV. How many 20-something guys can really afford this vehicle?
  • slanislani Member Posts: 5
    Which one rides more comfortably and smoothly, 4Runner or FJ Cruiser?
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    What they don't point out; and I should have realized. There is no storage in the FJ.

I picked up my new FJ Saturday and then found some time on Sunday to stock it with the usual stuff I put in cars that seems critical to have and yet I never use, (which does not deter me from putting it in the car by the way). The panel on the left side rear is mostly filled with the jack and tools; although I found room for work gloves, etc. in that small space. The right side has a panel I can't get open, (What’s in there?); perhaps I can’t get it open because the subwoofer is mounted on top. I got a few things in the glove box including a flashlight that wouldn't fit anywhere else. Then stuffed things in door pockets and put some CDs in the open bin between the seats.

Suggestions (other than don't carry so much). :P

Roll
    I'm new to this and asking for patience for several questions. :blush:

I read the FJ can ford up to about the bumpers, (27.5 inches?), which was a surprise and amazed me.

Two questions: :confuse:

Does water come in the doors at that point?
    And, what about the exhaust; it would appear that the exhaust system would fill unless the exhaust pressure keeps it out.

Thanks,

Roll
    I am completely confused about the various 4wheel options and systems on the FJ.

They seem to do similar things; I suspect they are not intended to all be used at the same time, (I need some help with this).

VSC: I assume is stability control; senses slipping wheels and applies brake or reduces engine output to correct. Do I have it correct and does it work whether I am in 2H, 4H or 4L?

A-Trac: Manual reads as if this was another system that controls spinning wheels. ? Works with VSC or use one or the other? I don't get it.

Auto LSD: Limited slip differential? An electronic version of the old mechanical limited slip rear ends?

RR Diff Lock: Probably the most confusing of all. When can I use this and do I have to turn other things off? Is this for 2H 4H and 4L? or is it's use limited? Why do I get a blinking red icon on the dash with an X over the rear wheels?

Also tried shifting from 2H to 4H to neutral to 4L and had difficulty. Hope the neighbors didn't hear the grinding coming from the transfer case.

Manual (and dealer) said I can shift into 4H from 2H as long as I am under about 50 MPH. Haven't tried that yet, but have tried shifting in the driveway sitting still with the engine running. Worked okay I guess. Then dealer and manual say I should shift into 4L while at a stop. Can't do this; gears grind. I think I need a clutch. Had to shut down engine to shift into 4L.

Sorry for all these questions. :blush: The only other 4 wheel drive vehicle I had was completely automatic, moving from 2W to 4W without my doing anything.

Thanks all for any help,

Roll
  • oliverwinstnoliverwinstn Member Posts: 5
    Hi

Water should not come in the doors and I've not heard any reports of water filling the exhaust. Not sure of the technical explanation but it hasn't been a problem.

Thanks,

Scott
    scott@fjcruiserowners.com
    This link has some information that may be helpful for others who are confused, (as I am). Apparently I'm not the only one, the manual is vague and confusing and the systems overlap somewhat.

Roll

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/6254-making-sense-trac-a- uto-lsd-atrac-vsc-rear-diff-lock.html
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    To shift from 4HI to 4low you have to be stopped AND trans in Neutral.

VSC
    VSC works with the electronic throttle control system (ETCS-i) and the ABS actuator system, measuring relative wheel speeds plus vehicle yaw and steering wheel position to determine whether a dangerous condition exists, Understeer (pushing) or oversteer ("fishtailing") can both result in accidents. Should VSC sense a problem, the system will reduce engine power and apply braking to one or more wheels to try to regain control and a proper line through the corner.

Note: VSC is not a substitute for safe driving!

Trac
    TRAC senses wheelspin in slippery conditions and reduces engine power to the wheels to help regain traction, and can apply braking to regain traction and control.

The electronic limited slip system works on the rear axle, only, using the brake system without reducing engine power, giving better off road performance than TRAC by allowing the vehicle to maintain a higher speed in loose soil or sand.

Technical Comments

Like VSC, TRAC works with the electronic throttle control system and the ABS system, reducing engine power and applying braking to the spinning wheel or wheels (rear, only on 2WD vehicles, front and/or rear on 4WD vehicles) to regain traction and/or send power across the open front or rear differential to a wheel with better traction.

Engaging the electronic limited slip system (Auto LSD) overrides the reduction in engine power if wheels slip, and provides a limited slip function to the rear differential only.

Auto LSD
    Auto LSD uses brake pressure to slow a slipping wheel and send power back across the rear differential to the other wheel, providing traction.

Technical Information

TRAC functions in much the same way, but reduces engine power to regain grip, and can apply brake pressure to one wheel to send power across the differential.

Button activated, Auto LSD allows the vehicle to accelerate normally while providing traction to both wheels.

Rear Diff lock locks the rear axles together, so if one wheel moves the other wheel moves so you don't lose power in off road situations and get stuck. You would only use it off road and would be only below around 15mph

VCS helps when you are cornering and traction control is more for driving straight line
    Thanks Dreasdad! :)

Very helpful.

I read a comment somewhere in a forum that the automatic should not be driven in 4H at speeds over 50 to 55 mph or for long periods of time. That seems counter intuitive to me. Certainly you wouldn't drive long distances or highway speeds in 4L but I thought that was what 4H was for? :confuse:

Thoughts?

Thanks again....

Roll
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    In S. Connecticut the dealers dont seem to have more than about three FJs at any one time - and they demand full price and then some. I paid sticker when the Landcruiser FJ80 first came out a few years back - when everyone else was paying $5,000 over sticker. But times have changed and I will not pay sticker+ or sticker ever again - I have always gotten good discounts on my other cars including BMW. So for me the FJ will have to wait ;)
    one thought is why you would want to drive in 4H at 55? gas Mileage would be less, vehicle wear would be more. 4Wd is for weather or off road conditions that require better traction

The Mechanical reason is that the drive shaft can bind over time, thats why the 6 speed manaul full time 4wd has a center limited slip diff
    Might save a few bucks if you do:

"The base 2007 FJ Cruiser, which is equipped with a 239-horsepower 4.0-liter V6, gets a base price increase of $200 for a bottom line of $22,755, including a $645 destination charge."

Toyota Hikes Prices on 2007 Models (Inside Line)
    Is there anyone who posts here with inside knowledge of Toyota? I would love to see a factory sunroof for the FJ. Do we know if one is in the works? :shades:
  • danw59danw59 Member Posts: 2
    4H is for off-road use on a loose or uneven surface. Never use it on a hard flat surface. I wouldn't use it in the rain either--snow or ice, yes. Using 4H for regular driving will cause mechanical failure--expensive failure--in time. On the road drive in 2WD.
  • danw59danw59 Member Posts: 2
    The X over the rear wheels means you're in 4WD--your VCS and ABS are off in this mode.

The locking rear dif -- RR Dif Lock -- is for use only when you have a spinning wheel. If you try to use it for driving you'll discover that you have very little steering control. Before you activate it make sure the wheel has stopped spinning. Turn it off as soon as you're unstuck.
  • trd_setrd_se Member Posts: 2
    Got a TRD Special Edition for $1500 under MSRP. Asked them to trhough in the XM radio (not on the sticker) and they made the deal. No money down lease (didn't pay a dollar to take the car off the lot).
    The detailing on the car was sloppy and they suggested I have it detailed locally, up to $100, and send them the bill and they would cut a check to cover it.

Very happy with purchase. The dealership is obviously trying for ALL 'excellent' ratings on satisfaction survey from Toyota.
  • j_starj_star Member Posts: 1
    TRD SE, I'm also looking into getting a TRD in SoCal. If you don't mind me asking, which dealership did you use? It sounds as though you were able to get a good deal!
  • aseenjaseenj Member Posts: 5
    I've been holding out for the new FJ and I'm finally seriously looking at on line inventory for the best deal. The only must have option is the tow hitch, which has been frustrating enough because most of the inventory searches don't list if it has the option. I emailed to ask a dealer if it had the tow hitch and he responded that "installation of this option shouldn't be a problem". Does anyone know if the dealer can add the factory tow hitch or should I even consider adding this as an aftermarket purchase. Thanks for all the great information... I've read thousands of posts and feel like a well educated buyer! Alex
    Hitch is not a factory options, dealer or Port adds it always
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Question for those who have already purchased an FJ -- does it have an integrated key (the buttons are on the key, not on a separate fob), like the RAV4?
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    No..it comes with a fob...
    Accelerating to merge on the freeway I get a vibration that comes through the turn signal stalk, (of all things). I also feel it somewhat in the steering wheel and a little in the floor. It goes away when just cruising.

This is a truck, not a luxury sedan, so maybe the vibration is to be expected but I would like to know if others have noticed it too or this is something specific to my FJ.

Thanks,

Roll (2/4 whl automatic)
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    Only on acceleration? Or at a certain speed?
    On acceleration; which is the reason I think it's drivetrain related.

If it was showing up at a certain speed range I'd would probably look at tire balance first.

So I gather you don't have this?

Thanks,

Roll
    I'll reply to myself on this one.

Dealer said bring it in, we'd like to drive it. I did just that today. The wrench says it's normal. That with reduced sound proofing material some engine vibration will leak through. Not to worry.

Roll
  • dyotadyota Member Posts: 1
    I have had my FJ since April 06, replaced windshield 2x already and now cracked again. The angle is so vertical that items hitting it are like a brick straight on. I dont think there is much you can do about it, but I hope Toyota makes them more affordable. At $1800, it gets quite expensive and very aggrevating. Love the vehicle though and will keep trucking on, cracked or not.
  • bft4x4bft4x4 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for answering Aseenj's question. I have been having the same dilemma, I must have the tow pkg to haul two ATVs. I currently drive a Honda Element which I love. I am sad to trade it in. I have a German Shepard that I take every so I like the suicide doors and utility. I am thinking the FJ will also be easy for my German Shepard to jump in the rear side doors. (She is two and has hip dysplasia). If anyone has an FJ that their dog loves, any feedback would be appreciated. Our other family vehicle is a Jeep Rubicon so maybe we'll get to compare them off-road for fun! Thanks all.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I've been following the FJ for quite some time now, and have been waiting to see what changes Toyo is planning to make on the 2008 FJ before I make a decision on what to buy next... anyone heard anything about any new features/changes in the 2008 FJ? Anybody heard when a 2008 will be available?