Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, the one I drove was a bit over $25K. The main option was the Power Package which included power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, remote entry and security system. It did have a few other options too, unfortunately I don't remember what they were. In any event, the total options on the one I drove was around $2K. If you go the Nissan News site you can find pricing on the Xterra. 4x4 models actually start ~ $22.9K.

Bob
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    plus the Off-Road xterra goes for close to $27K, which if supposed to competitively priced is WAY too high IMO. I'd go for a Rubicon TJ b/4 paying that.

I am hoping Toyota comes in around the low to mid 20s max. Currently researching for the purchase of a new TJ Unlimited but now I will wait for the FJ-C to come out to compare.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Like the Mini, I hope toyota offers both the white roof, and the option of no white roof. The FJ would be a compromise for my wife. If its only available with the white roof, which she thinks is a little too unusual, ir could be a deal breaker for us. Otherwise, when it comes down to it, if it looks just like the pics released, it would be just fine with me. I even find the 3 wipers interesting. It would also be nice if they offered a factory winch, like in the concept pics.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    does it have three wipers anyway? Is it just because the glass is wide but short in height?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

plus the Off-Road xterra goes for close to $27K, which if supposed to competitively priced is WAY too high IMO. I'd go for a Rubicon TJ b/4 paying that.

I don't see it as a Rubicon competitor. I see it as a Liberty competitor. I'd buy the Xterra over any Jeep.

Bob
    isn't $27K bordering on Pathfinder territory? I agree that is overpriced for XTerra, and will be for FJ too if Toyota prices it that high.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

isn't $27K bordering on Pathfinder territory?

I'm sure there may be some overlap; top Xterras & base Pathfinders. I don't have problem with that. They share most of the same running gear.

Bob
  • nymphetaminenymphetamine Member Posts: 54
    "The FJ would be a compromise for my wife. If its only available with the white roof, which she thinks is a little too unusual, ir could be a deal breaker for us."

haha. I feel the same way.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It is worth more than the "FJ".

Comparing any 2-door SUV to a 4-door is not well thought out.

SUVs are for friends and family too. Your friends and family will say "Why did you get a 2-door?" And "What's with the white elephant, I mean roof?"

And you'll say "Hey, it looks like this!"

And they'll laugh.

And point.

And laugh.

DrFill
    I believe the FJ Cruiser is 4-doors, with the rear doors being the suicide-type found on extended cab pickups and the Honda Element.

Bob
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    And consider this: how often do you really have more than one adult-sized passenger? I have a four-door SUV now and use the back seat to carry an adult maybe once per 100 times I drive the car. As Bob mentioned, the FJ does have rear doors.

The first time I saw a pickup truck painted red over light gray, or a tan Wrangler with a dark brown top, or a blue convertible with a tan top, I might have looked twice. But not in a bad way. They definately grew on me.
    "SUVs are for friends and family too. Your friends and family will say "Why did you get a 2-door?"

And I will say "Because I don't have to drive you around. Now get your own."

And I will laugh.

And point.

And laugh.
    LOL
    Toyota may not score with the mom crowd who has to deal with putting little kids in car seats in the back, with the door situation on the FJ. But, I still think it will do very well with others who don't have little kids, singles, dads who don't usually take the kids, and people looking for an interesting third car that is durable, well priced, and compliments their "active lifestyle." Liberty, xterrra, wrangler unlimited, will get a run for sure. Again, I'd be surprised if you can only get one with the white roof. In any event, by the second years, I'll bet the color situation will be flexible.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    Exactly. Plesase Moms, no car seats allowed in this cool SUV.
    is an appropriate comparison because despite the door situation, the two are:
    - the only two models out there that are fully body-on-frame compact SUVs (Liberty claims to get the same torsional rigidity from a "frame-in-unibody")

- both have about the same passenger space inside, and very similar running gear

- both target younger buyers, generally male, generally NOT family folks (similar to the Element in mission)

- both are much more capable as offroad/4WDs than any of the other similarly sized SUVs on the market.

"the only two models out there that are fully body-on-frame compact SUVs....both are much more capable as offroad/4WDs than any of the other similarly sized SUVs on the market."

^ Someone else forgot the Kia Sorento.

And the upcoming Hummer H3

That makes 4.
    thanks, but I haven't forgotten the Kia. It runs around on passenger radials, and despite its very heavy design for a people-mover, is only a people-mover in mission. No available locking diff, no raised suspension, no wide tires. If it truly has a low-range as someoneelse mentioned to me, I am surprised that Kia would choose to put that in given the Sorento's obvious on-pavement bias.

As for H3, well I haven't forgotten it, it just isn't here yet. When it does get here, you are right, the class will expand to three.

• robmatt54robmatt54 Member Posts: 11
    Seems that the F J Crusier will be at the New York Auto show at the end of March so I can see it in person. Would they show the interior or is it going to be the same vehicle as Chicago?
  • dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    Blog entry on FJ Crusier at Autoblog:
    www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000050030908/

I'm excited about this vehicle... I've owned 3 Toyota Trucks, 2 Tercels, 2 MR2's, 1 Sienna, 1 Echo - but always wanted an FJ. I'm seriously considering this vehicle to replace my BMW X5. When I bought my X5, I really wanted to buy the 4Runner - but just couldn't warm up to it's appearance. Sacrificed off-roading ability since I really just needed something to get through snow with no chains.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Considering that the FJ is a bit bulky, I think that it'll be a safer ride than the Xterra.... also, 2-doors (ok it has 4 but 2 of them are rather small) seem to always be safer than 4 doors, crash tests aside.

As for the Kia/H3.... I really wouldn't consider either of them as real contenders.

-The H3 will have the 220 hp 5 cylinder from the Colorado, and you can bet that it'll weigh more. Also, it's set to start over 30k.... not a good value

-The Kia is just a people hauler. Period. It's cute, but it lacks certain stuff that off roaders need. But, it'll probably be better on road
    Please, somebody go, ask questions about how close what is there will be to the real thing, the price, and release date, and post some good pics!
  • dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    A guy over on autoblog.com just posted that his dealer is already taking $1k down payments, and he made his deposit. This poster is a 50 year old FJ enthusist, ready to turn in his old rig for this one. I have a feeling this vehicle will sell well to the same market the Honda Element does - the 40 and 50 somethings. Much of the target market just doesn't have the cash for a new vehicle - reasonably priced or not. This just may be my 10th Toyota!
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Went over to toyota.com and registered my preference for the vertical door handles and the double hung side mirrors.

The FAQ section has a question for more info about the FJ Cruiser, which Toyota answered mainly with mechanical specs and safety features.

When I buy a vehicle I have to be able to fit in it since I am 6'3".

So I asked Toyota about internal dimensions which should be final by now whether or not everything is production ready:

1. driver legroom
    2. cargo length when rear seats are folded down.

and other questions.

We shall see if the ?s are answered. If so, I will post them here, and it will encourage others to take a shot at toyota.com for their questions.

gringo1
    "I have a feeling this vehicle will sell well to the same market the Honda Element does - the 40 and 50 somethings. Much of the target market just doesn't have the cash for a new vehicle - reasonably priced or not"

I don't know about that. Im 33, the FJ will be my first new car purchase, and its not because I never had the cash, its because everything out there (besides the VehiCross) made me yawn, everything was a compromise between appearance, quality, price, and size.

So all I can say is, its about time! Easiest purchase ever.
    Is it just me or are prices already creeping higher? Notice at the start of the article it mentions an estimated base price of $23,000 (probably a stripped 2-wheel drive) and then later states "..an Xterra-like price in the mid-$20,000 range, at least to start." Xterras have gotten pricey IMO. This is starting to sound like a 4x4 with the 6-speed manual and a few options like cruise and side airbags might be pushing $26,000 with destination and delivery... not good!
    I'm sure it will be priced within pennies of the Xterra.

Bob
    If the FJ comes in at no more than $26k even, completely decked out, and obviously less for more basic versions, it will sell well for the long haul. Much more, and I think people will balk at what will be high monthly payments for a somewhat specialized/quirky vehicle.
    "I'm sure it will be priced within pennies of the Xterra."

$23K minimum. XTerras have gotten pricey - I agree. I am hoping that the fact that FJ is a 2-door and more basic in equipment levels will mean it is a couple thousand $$ less than XTerra.
    I am also hoping that a basic 4x4 6-speed FJ will go for $22K, with offroad and "luxury" packages each going for about $1500. The luxury package can have all that stuff like side airbags and cruise, etc etc. The offroad package can include better suspension and tires, and the locking diff.

It's a 4-door with Element-like rear suicide doors. Knowing Toyota, they're likely to nickel-&-dime you to death with optional packages. Yes base models may be cheap, but it likely won't have the equipment you want.

Bob
    If you can find a base model.
    I am sure they will play the usual games with the packages half-full of crap you don't want. They are Toyota, after all.

But I have been encouraged to see that Toyota is making a lot of Camrys available now in standard and LE trims with no options except the curtain airbags, so who knows - maybe they have turned a corner?

I am sure they will build most of the 4x4s with the "optional" offroad package, which is OK by me since I would want that stuff (well, not the cosmetic frippery Toyota always seems to include with the offroad packages, but the actual hardware, yes). And if they build them all fully loaded with a $28K sticker, then they will have shot themselves in the foot - way to go Toyota.

Is looking for volume sales on this model, and if it is priced like the bigger, 4-door Xterra, it won't get much volume.

If you guys think this thing is so great, $26-28k should be no problem! You'll be the only one in your neighborhood (or the next neighborhood) to have one.

Although, I know a guy with a Geo Metro Convertible.....

DrFill
    I asked Toyota to re-consider the vertical door handles, the double hung mirrors, and the more expansive grille, all on the concept vehicle but changed on the latest Chicago show vehicle.

Here is the response. Maybe if enough people give their opinions on the FAQ Toyota.com site, they will re-consider.

Gringo1

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate the opportunity to document your comments regarding the FJCruiser

The information on our website regarding the FJ Cruiser is still pre-production information. We have no information on whether or not the features you described will be "added back" to the final version of this vehicle.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200502281122. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience
     If you guys think this thing is so great, $26-28k should be no problem! You'll be the only one in your neighborhood (or the next neighborhood) to have one.

Not me. I'm not in the market. I'm just commenting, like most people here.

Bob
    If you guys think this thing is so great, $26-28k should be no problem!

I thought it was great at $20-22K base.
    it's pretty great either way, but I won't have one at $28K. At $25K I will think about it. At $22K it is a no-brainer. (4x4 6-speed)

But would they sell any of them at prices approaching $28K? If the answer is yes, then we can expect them to price it accordingly, as I am sure they would rather make a large profit per vehicle than to try and sell a higher number of vehicles for significantly less profit.
    If the pricing of the new tacoma is any indication ($30k+ for a "loaded" model, w/o leather of course), I am sure I will be also disappointed with the FJ.
    "I am sure they would rather make a large profit per vehicle than to try and sell a higher number of vehicles for significantly less profit."

If the price approaches 30k, the total profit will be much less because much fewer will be sold, and I am sure Toyota realizes this which is why they used the term "extremely affordable".
    no way could you call $30K "affordable" for a two-door compact SUV.

• bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    We may all be in for a surprise give the very reasonable pricing of Scion products which undercut even the Koreans regarding price to value.

The FJ has the chasis and engine of the 4Runner so if the price is lower than $26,000.00 it is a grand slam home run.

To have the very distinctive fun styling with the robust Toyota underpinnings will be in a class by itself.

Who says that Toyota produces boring products has not been paying attention.

By the way the interior of the FJ is a work of art, so once again the price to value should be very attractive IMO.
    it will be a great value at $25-26K, but when you give a vehicle edgy styling like this one has, you are chasing a younger buyer, which Toyota has come right out and said (someone apparently took notice of the fact that at the FJ concept showing in 2003, more kids were circling it than the cars on the Scion stand). Problem is, the younger buyers will not be dropping $25-26K on their trucks, they will be buying Hyundais and pick-ups instead.

I still say if Toyota can make a 4WD V-6 6-speed XtraCab Tacoma for $23K, they should be able to do the same for the FJ. So I am hoping for a $23K 4x4 FJ with a manual shift.

• robmatt54robmatt54 Member Posts: 11
    what are the exterior differences that were made from the 2003 concept to the 2005 prototype and should they put any of those changes back in the final version??
    This rig won't sell more than 40-50k, at the VERY outside.

Even if it shares a platform with others, the interior is totally unique, and it's lack of volume will hurt it in production costs.

Toyota builds 150-180k Tacomas, just for the US, plus has a relationship with suppliers for it's parts.

Such a new vehicle will not have that advantage.

Will there be a 2WD? If they make just one trim level at $24,995, that's your best shot.

DrFill
    there will be a 2WD. It will get a limited slip for the rear. And knowing Toyota, there will probably be an SR5 with more equipment, like power mirrors, cruise, and privacy glass, that gets left out of the base model.

I am betting on a base model 4WD or a 2WD SR5 both being priced at $23K.

• bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Some of you have mentioned that you feel the FJ will appeal to younger kids and pricing may be a problem.

As 46 years of age I love the FJ and feel that many others my age will be drawn to the styling.

Witness the popularity of the Honda Element and Scion models with the middle aged.

The FJ just may cross a wide swath of demographics IMO.
    What do folks think of the interior?

The concept showed some non-comfort hard plastic back seats like you'd see in a school cafeteria.

Also, a rhino-lining look to the cargo area.

I think these spartan features (which I like) may narrow the FJ appeal.

Which means I won't have trouble finding one at a reasonable price.

Worst thing that could happen for pricing is for some mania to develop about grabbing the first 40,000 units.

Enough ramble. Any thoughts?
    that was just for show. The real thing will probably have seats similar to the Tacoma/4Runner. Or maybe exactly the same - economies of scale, after all.

Now the cargo area probably will be very spartan - they are going for that "hose it out" look of functionality, even if it can't actually be hosed out.