Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    *chuckle*

Unfortunately, the LC has been marginalized in the last ten years because (A) it has been luxed up to the point of no return - there is no more expensive Toyota, and (B) it is outcompeted by its own twin - the LX470, which has the Lexus cachet to go with such a high price tag, and also the air suspension etc to complete the lux package.

I think it is so cool that Toyota makes such a competent offroad truck in this day and age, but why have all that frou frou crap in it? Why not sell the version that sells in the rest of the world - plastic dash, cloth seats, manual air conditioning and all - for half the price? Well, because it would compete too much with Toyota's own Sequoia, for one.

I bet when the LC finally goes (and that will be a sad moment - this is another of Toyota's storied lines, like Celica and Corolla) the LX470 will continue on - can you say LX540?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I don't think you understand. This future SUV IS THE Toyota Land Cruiser of the future!

The REAL CRUISER dies. And is reborne on this iteration. The name, and theoretically, the heritage lives on.

The 2006 will have 2 Toyota Land Cruisers.

There will only be one for 2007.

DrFill
    If you believe that the true LC is the heritage, then the true LC has been dead for some years now in the U.S. The heritage: a rugged, tough truck with go anywhere appeal, and easy serviceability. The current LC has been covered in so much luxury garbage since the FJ62 retired in 1991 that while it is still rugged, it is completely unaffordable to anyone who would need a vehicle for rugged trucky things. And with all that leather and wood, why would you want to mess it up doing anything rugged anyway? What a shame that would be, LOL!

The new FJ is the LC, back from the dead, were you just to see it...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's just sold in Australia, and other parts of the world. It's the Land Cruiser 78.

http://lc78.toyota.com.au/LC78/InDetail/GradeTypeGrid/1,3797,13,00.html

I would love to see Toyota bring it over here, but I think that's unlikely.

Bob
    yeah, I know, that is what I meant by my "cloth-seated LC" remarks...but they won't bring that truck here, too much internal competition, and besides the FJ is a pretty good substitute. I imagine if it takes off and beats the 40K per year forecast, they may eventually offer a 4-door version. An awful lot will depend on price. Price it like a 4Runner, and a lot of potential buyers will just get a 4Runner instead. Not to mention you will lose the "youth" purchase this thing is chasing.

• mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Yeah, but it is still $45k US dollars. Not exactly a cheap utilitarian 4x4. At that price, I do expect a luxo barge. Anyway, has there been any update on when the FJ will be in dealers?
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Those prices probably include taxes which are rather hefty on vehicle in Australia. The actual before-tax cost might be much more reasonable...
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    "This leads me to believe this will be the last year for the REAL one. When this thing comes out, the REAL on will disappear Fall of '06."

I don't have the link at my fingertips, but I saw a post elsewhere with descriptions and stats for the LC 130/LX550 to debut as an '07 model. I'll try to find it and post it. The attached artist's rendition included with the article looks a lot like the new Durango.

Remember, the demise of the LC wagons was rumored when the 80 was replaced by the 100.
    At that price, I do expect a luxo barge.

Not necessarily. Many "commercial-duty" trucks are in this price range. Just because it costs a whole bunch, doesn't mean it has to be a luxury yacht. Think Land Rover Defender, Hummer H1, or Unimog; not Lincoln Navigator.

Bob
    "Anyway, has there been any update on when the FJ will be in dealers?"

Well, it is still a year away...it is a 2007 model, not an '06.

I can't even imagine the scolding from my wife if I brought home a $45,000 vehicle with a snorkel sticking out of the side of it.

If you bought a Land Cruiser 78 as a family vehicle, you deserve a scolding. :)

Bob
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Where does it say that the prices shown are in US dollars? I would think that an Australian website would show Australian currency.
    It is in Aus. $ on the site. Converted, it is about $45kUS.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Wow, that seems extremely expensive. Does the average Australian make that kind of money?
  • interceptor07interceptor07 Member Posts: 19
    The May issue of Motor Trend has a small article about the production FJ. In the article it states: "No other paint scheme for the top will be available---this is a retro model evoking the FJ40 of the 1960s and 1970s."

It also mentions that a TRD off-road package will feature roof-mounted flood lamps.

:shades:
    Wonderful. Here we go with all the "packages." Sport this, off road that, SR-5 whatsis, ka-ching ka-ching. It'll be $30k once you get what you want on it.
    there has only been one package annonced - the off road package, complete with skid plates, those flood lamps, a locking diff, and even the winch? Who knows. I know Toyota is the king of packages and nothing is ever standard, but in this case I think they were merely trying to make the point that lots of offroad gear will be available right from the factory.

• rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I predict that there will be a mass frenzy of buyers for the new FJ when it comes out. People will be paying OVER sticker for these trucks. It will be the same senario as when the Nissan Xterra's came out. There won't be enough to go around. It'll take 6 months to a year to get any sort of substantial discount off one of these puppy's.
    I think toyota is making a mistake offering the FJ in 2 wheel drive. On the one hand they say you can only get it with a white roof, as a tribute to the old FJs. And then they turn around and offer it with 2 wheel drive for the sorority girl set. Why not sell it only decked out with 4 wheel drive, with no options except for maybe a winch. Simple as that. Instead Toyota is tarnishing the brand with lesser FJ versions. Heck, why not get a Highlander, a 4Runner or a RAV (or a honda CRV for that matter) if you want something in 2 wheel drive.
  • togloondatogloonda Member Posts: 16
    they really screwed up with the center console
    Well the HL, RAV, and CRV are all cars and drive accordingly - take them off the pavement and try to control the bouncing and hang onto the steering, all this as you listen to pieces fall or break off the car.

The 4Runner is HUGE, costs more, and is limited by large overhangs front and rear from being the stock offroad champ the old one was.

So the FJ fills a niche, hence the niche-level 40K per year sales forecast from Toyota for this model.

Some people will always buy vehicles based on looks, and the FJ's looks are certainly distinctive, so 2WD models will sell - why not make them if you are Toyota? And plus it occurs to me I have never really thought about it - I suppose all the original FJ40 Land Cruisers were 4WD? There wasn't a 2WD version was there?

All good points, and I am sure they will sell. But I still think offering the FJ in 2 wheel drive is like Chevy offering the new Corvette with a 180hp six cylinder. Yes, it would handle great, and look fantasitic, and it would sell too. But it doesn't do much for the prestige of the model.
    I'd go 4WD only too, but at least they have a manual AT LAUNCH!

Rather have a Supra, doh

DrFill
  • rad3rad3 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the old FJ came open top kind of like a Jeep. It doesn't look like the new FJ's will have that option. Does anyone know anything about that? It sure would be nice to have Jeep like vehicle with Toyota quality.
    Has Toyota indicated what they plan to use for the seats? I am hoping for a durable high quality vinyl (leatherette?) or some type of easily cleanable space material type stuff. Please, something other than cloth.
    why do I strongly suspect they will just use the seats from the Tacoma? It is the most logical choice. But perhaps they will use that neoprene-like material they use in the Matrix. It is good - durable and breathes well.

rad3: I have not heard a peep about them offering an open-top version. I don't even recall if I've heard anything about a moonroof. If they did a glass-roof option like Scion tC and an increasing number of cars have, I think it would be cool. But I have no idea how rugged such a design is.

• abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    It would be nice to see something new, practical, and innovative for the FJ interior. The interior for the prototype certainly seemed to do that.

However, given the cost and economies of scale issues that Toyota is facing we are not likely to see something far different from the Taco interior. If we are lucky, we will get something different for the rear seats. However, I am not holding my breath... :blush:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Wow, sometime ago I thought Ford had the best SUV lineup. They had the Expedition, Explorer, Escape and Excursion, and now the Freestyle. However, the Excursion is dead after 2005 I hear. None of Ford's SUVs are good off roaders.

Now I see Toyota. They have the RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser. Now they're getting the FJ Cruiser. Wow, that's six SUVs. Guess Toyota makes more trucks, and ones with better quality and better interiors.

About the FJ, has anyone seen any interior pics? Not that it should be anything to worry about, Toyota always build high quality interiors.
    speaking of Fords, it has been on again, off again, as to whether or not they will do that Bronco concept they had last year. If they did, that would certainly be a return to offroading for Ford, and an almost direct competitor for the FJ.

As for FJ interiors, I don't think there has been anything more realistic than the concept's wild interior touches so far. The interior will be the last thing they do, I am sure, and will be finished much closer to the actual release date.

• interceptor07interceptor07 Member Posts: 19
    The May issue of Automobile Magazine has an article about the FJ.

There is a small computer generated photo of the interior that was provided by Toyota. The photo is a computer rendering, but a close representation of the production interior. It shows a near-flat dash with a clean and functional layout. White face gauges, three spoke steering wheel with aluminum trim on each spoke. The steering wheel has either cruise control or radio controls on the left spoke. The center stack has a body color surround and the doors also have a body color insert. Center console is full-length with a coverless large storage bin at the rear. The seats cannot be seen.

This is the only photo I have seen of the interior that actually looks realistic. A caption above the photo states "The interior wasn't shown at Chicago, but we're told it will be close to the rendering below, color-keyed and utilitarian." :D
  • stephmanstephman Member Posts: 4
    Is this the article you're refering to?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/suvs/0505_toyota_fj_cruiser/index.html

They also have a few nice desktop backgrounds of the FJ
    http://automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0505_toyota_fj/
    I can't wait until some real photos of the FJ in something other than gumball blue come out. I've seen photoshops that look good, but I really look forward to seeing it in some more conventional colors, maybe silver, or charcoal, or dark blue.
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    Any dealers accepting deposits/orders?

Also, any word on when the interior will be officially unveiled?
  • vgvandervgvander Member Posts: 8
    I haven't heard anything on the interior, but in a recent article, I read that the FJ Cruiser should be out in early 2006 as a 2007 model. I may be one of a few on this forum, but I decided to wait and test drive the vehicle first before committing myself to purchasing one. As with it being a first year model, I'm a bit cautious. But if I get one, I get one, and if I don't, there is always next year. Just my 2 cnts.
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Truck Trend mag had an article about the FJC where it was mentioned that it will be out in Feb as a 2007 model priced from 22-26K, stating this was info from Toyota. Yes dealers are taking deposits as read on the ih8mud.com forum...

4x4review.com has the most comprehesive int/ext pics of the FJC yet, all in blue however.

Also read in a rag that there will be three color options from the manufacturer based upon the original FJ 40s, blue, tan and I think yellow?
  • samiam2samiam2 Member Posts: 1
    I spent a few hours on the internet last month, all looking for interior photo's. I finally found a site with two pictures, but alas, I'm out of state on business and using my laptop (site saved on home computer). The interior shot I observed showed an interior finish that was blue and yellow, very sharp, very retro. I can't wait to see more and will post the link when i return home in a few weeks.

sam
    our auto show was coming up, so I could see the concept in person, interior or no interior.

• endoriceendorice Member Posts: 2
    I have loved all the Toyota vehicles I've owned, including my current Tacoma TRD. I was initially excited to hear about the FJ40 concept, but have been disappointed with what Toyota has done with a vehicle that has so much potential.

Toyota has vehicles that covers the spectrum, but does not offer a serious, but fun, off-road vehicle. Give us something closer to the original FJ40. Give us something that would compete with a Wrangler Rubicon. Short wheelbase, front/rear lockers, good clearance, good approach/departure angles. Something with a removable top.

I was really hoping to buy another Toyota (FJ40) soon, but will lean towards the Wrangler for it's off-road capability and soft-top.
  • vgvandervgvander Member Posts: 8
    I just recently noticed that Edmunds has updated their information on the FJ Cruise as well, here is the link link title .They also indicate a release date of February 2006 but this is as a 2006 model. If this is true, I anticipate Toyota to launch more press releases and learn more info between now and the end of the year...
    I don't really get you here - the FJ would seem to have most of what you asked for, except the removable top and probably the front locker.

I am sure the offroad ability will be there in spades, certainly enough to go head to head with a stock Wrangler Rubicon. But it sounds like what you really want is a soft top, and in that case Jeep is pretty much where it's at.

• marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    I've been searching the net for these answers. Can anyone help me?

1. Will the interior look as cool as the concept's, with the springs in the seats and metal jeep look inside?
    2. What are the colors? I know they will INCLUDE the original colors but wil Toyota offer any others?
    3. When can I officially order one?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, even if these questions can not be answered as of now.
    Thanks guys,
    A enthusiastic young buyer
    these questions cannot be answered as of now! :-P

1. Interior is not yet finalized, but I bet they will stick to the themes of the concept, if not every detail.

2. I am sure Toyota will offer more than the three colors that have been announced to match the original. But I don't think there will be a rainbow of stock colors, or anything.

3. Once it appears in finalized form at a show, you should be able to start laying down deposits.

• marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much much for your response. If you hear any more news please let me know as I will do the same. Also, when will there be a show?
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    Interior is still a big question, however, the exterior are Titanium Metallic, Black Diamond and Black Cherry Pearl, Atomic Sun and Voodoo Blue, per Toyota owners site article from March 2005, here's the link: http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/news/enewsletters.php?id=30&show=archive&month=3&year=20- 05

Based on some of the forums on the internet, some dealers are starting to accept deposits
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    The only things I would change would be to give it a larger ground clearance--more like 11 inches, say with optional 33" tires. I like the design and the simplicity of the concept, the 245hp V6 and 6-spd combo, the rear locker, and the FJ40 styling cues. If Toyota can price it in the $21-25k category, we have a winner!

I say ditch the current TLC (keep the Lexus LX), and return the "Land Cruiser" name to a truck (like the FJ Cruiser) that deserves it
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    I am also impressed with the writeups on the new H3 which bases at $29,500.

It is more attractive to my eye than the H2, almost the same length, much nicer interior and ride and $25,000 cheaper than the H2. The H3 will be about 10 inches longer than the FJ Cruiser. Hopefully the competition will create lower prices for us for either vehicle.

Of course we know that the Toyota will blow away the GM Hummer3 in quality and resale but the Hummer is now marketing itself as a luxury vehicle and will offer a 50,000 mile warranty.

We have some great exciting choices and these are two compelling vehicles for 2006. I understand the FJ will be labeled a 2007. Both should be extremely competent off road.

I just purchased a new suv but I want my girlfriend to buy the new FJ. She has a boringly competent Honda CRV.

Cheers
    I wouldn't worry too much. That's been the plan all along!

I'd much rather have a Supra (it was either this or a $30k Supra-successor), but at least this has a stick and a strong V6.

Bpraxis

Well, if you love 5000 lbs. SUV's with 5-cylinder engines, you'll LOVE the H3!

DrFill
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    I wouldn't worry too much. That's been the plan all along!

You mean the price ($21-25k) or the options I spoke of (33" tires & 11" clearance)?
    I'd also shrink that huge B-pillar--that's a parking lot fender-bender waiting to happen!