Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• stephmanstephman Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone else received an email from Toyota about a chance to win trip for 2 to Vegas this Nov. for the SEMA show?
    ====================================
    We know you're waiting for the all-new FJ Cruiser -- a true off-roading vehicle with the strong heritage of the FJ40. In the meantime, we want to know a little more about the kind of people who are interested in the FJ Cruiser -- that's you!

Answer a few brief questions about yourself and you'll be entered for a chance to go to Las Vegas, November 1-6, and attend SEMA.

6-day trip for two to Vegas including:
    Round-trip airfare
    Five nights' hotel accommodations
    Ground transportation to/from airport
    Exclusive access to SEMA
    See FJ Cruiser in person
    VIP access to a party hosted by Toyota
    $1000 Spending money
    Just answer a few questions and you could be on your way to Las Vegas to attend SEMA 2005.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Yeah, I just got it but when I click to enter in the sweepstakes it says that the case studdy is closed. Hopefully the link will be re-linked and we will be able to enter.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Yea, I got it earlier today & completed the survey. I'll let you know when I win! :)
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    did the survey this morning! :-)

I wanna go, sounds like fun.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Got it too, filled it out. Survey seemed to ask mostly lifestyle questions (are you responsible? spontaneous?). I was hoping for more questions about the FJ (Which looks better - outside door handles horizontal or vertical? Want a winch in front, in back, both?), but I suppose it may be too late for design changes at this point. At one point, the survey asks what ONE question you'd ask Toyota about the FJ. I basically wrote "How much?" Anyone else care to share what they put down?
    I asked WHEN can I walk into a Toyota dealership and purchase one.
    How much is a good question too.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    I asked if a premium sound system will be available.
    That is crap, what was the studdy open for only a few hours??? What kind of study is that??? I will probably be at SEMA anyway doing photos but I would have liked to share my two cents. OK OK, 5 nights in vegas and $1,000 would be nice too.
  • lwholeselllwholesell Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys....I've been interested in the new FJ for several years...I even have a desposit on one at my local dealer...my problem is...I cant seem to find out which colors it is coming in other than Ugly Blue. Any info as to the colors that will be avail? Thanks
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    well if i had to guess i'd imagine that the FJ would come in lighter, more "earthy" tones like every other vehicle in their lineup, even similar to the old FJ colors. I found the quote in the web-link below and it supports this. Hope this helps you out some.

"The modern FJ Cruiser retains design and styling cues from the original FJ40, such as the round front headlights, exterior rear tire carrier, upright windshield and white roof cap. The original "Toyota" badging on the front grille appears as it did when Toyota first entered the North American market, and the first colors are expected to include yellow, tan and light blue, as they did in the original."

http://www.nctd.com/sneakpreview.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Toyota_FJ+Cruiser&ReviewID=79
  • cookiocookio Member Posts: 1
    I filled out the survey as well - there seemed to be a fair number of "pricing" questions. Toyota may still not know exactly how they will price the loaded FJ models.

I spoke with a member of Toyota's FJ testing team "off the record" a few weeks ago. He is a 4X4 enthusiast and is extremely enthusiastic about the FJ. He says the 4 liter 6 rides like a dream offroad and the suspension has been beefed up from the original test vehicles to make it a serious off-road contender. The design engineers from various groups feel very good about the quality of the initial production vehicles, since most of the critical components have been borrowed from the 4Runner and Tacoma. Good to hear it from the source!
  • marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!! TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
  • mcb74mcb74 Member Posts: 13
    Any idea whether leather interior will be offered with the FJ?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    I asked how a rear seat passenger is supposed to see out of the rear or how a driver is supposed to see over his shoulder for lane changes with a 2 foot wide blind spot
    With mirrors... In all honesty, I don't think that it will be that big of a deal. You have a large back window and large side window before that gap. You will be able to see a whole lot better out of this compared to a crossfire or an S2000 with the top up. If people can drive those people can drive this. Just back into parking spots to make your life easier.
  • verbotenverboten Member Posts: 18
    I really wish they kept the power rear window. My dog has to look out and it is way cool to drive around with the window down (no glare and people can see in just like a convertible.

Also, there is no way the window can hinge out with the rear wheel mounted. If it folds up into the ceiling, that's awesome!
  • sephirothsephiroth Member Posts: 1
    Do you think the 2007 Toyota FJ-Cruiser will beat any of the hummers off-road?
    H1 - NO
    H2 - YES
    H3 - Don't know but I saw one a couple weeks ago and I hated the fenders! Similar to the front fenders on a NEW Durango.
    Any new web sites in the FJ?
  • lovemy4runnerlovemy4runner Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading all the reviews for the new FJ Cruiser (needs a new name!) and they automatically assume young men will be the major buyers of this vehicle. I feel a little insulted because I love the security of knowing I can get out of anything I get myself into with my 4Runner. The people that write the reviews are the same people that think womens bathrooms have to be pink and filled with foo-foo pictures of bears in lacy hats...holding hands! Yuck! The majority of women I know have an SUV and and feel safe driving around Colorado in them.

It has been found that the majority of people that purchased the new H3 Hummer have been women. They need to rethink the FJ Cruiser's marketing plan if they don't want to offend anyone. I am sure there will be a lot of older men that will enjoy the new car as well.
  • patrix7patrix7 Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with a six speed Tacoma. Since this is the tranny that is going in the FJ, was just wondering how it shifted...is it smooth, short throw, light clutch etc?
    At first I read that the FJ would be coming out in Tan, Yellow or Blue as was the original FJ 40. Then I read somewhere that it would also be coming out in a red and a silver/titanium. Anyone know for sure?
  • 00120012 Member Posts: 8
    In response to the final thought in #476, I am 67 years old, and I have placed my deposit on an FJ Cruiser at a local Colorado dealership. The Cruiser appeals to me because I think it will be good in snow, and it is a Toyota. I have always liked the Jeep Wrangler, but I've never bought one because I have felt they are not as safe or reliable as I wanted.
    I wish Toyota would periodically put out further information. As far as I can tell, there has been nothing since its Feb 9 introduction.
    Even though everything I have read in this forum is mostly speculation, it's still interesting. Thanks!
    Yeah, I hope they don't wait till' SEMA to release any info. Because by SEMA they should be releasing it all. A few things here and there over the next two months would be nice!
    By the way I am the market they are targeting (26, Male, Southern Cali) and I am just praying that I will atleast be able to afford to LEASE a TRD 4x4. I will be offorading this & taking snowboard trips with it.
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    Wouldn't going off road with a lease vehicle be a bad idea???? I thought they penalize you(charge you extra at the end of your lease) for any dings, scratches, doo-hickies, and other things that can happen to a car. I would think going off road would be just asking for trouble.....

-SiK99
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    I would not expect too much info from Toyota on many of particulars. They were so tight lipped with the '03 4Runner release, it was ridiculous. :mad: Any release of information could cannibalize current sales of its other offerings!

Frankly, I am not certain why :confuse: somebody would put a deposit on a car without even seeing the interior. We only know what the concept interior was and that was clearly way "out there" and the final version will certainly look more like that of a Taco than the '03 FJ concept.

With gas currently hovering close to $3/gal in some parts of country, I wonder how much demand there will be for an offroader like the FJ. Given that this vehicle is likely to have an EPA city of about 18 MPG (6 cyl 4Runners get 17), it will not be that attractive to many buyers... Given current market conditions, it is highly likely that FJ will struggle in the marketplace like many other heftier SUVs for other manufacturers. I am not saying that it going to be a bad vehicle, I just think that the FJ demand is not going to be "all that" Toyota is hoping to get. I think it will likely be the same kind of semi-disappointment as what we saw with the '03 4Runner.
    I could hit a tire tread on the freeway, that is what insurance is for. Just as if I were buying the vehicle I am gong to want to fix any damge I do to it. So weather I am buying it or leasing it I am going to use it! And if they lease me a TRD 4x4 what do you want me to do with it? Date a socer mom!
  • lovemy4runnerlovemy4runner Member Posts: 2
    Wow, you're a brave man! Can you really put a deposit on a car that you've never seen? I can't even seem to be able to find colors other than blue or see the interior. I think I would rather drive it first because the blind spot might be too big in the back, or the price might be too high. I had an Amigo briefly and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see very well out the back.

I heard from a dealer that it will be priced in the high 20's to low 30's ( between the Highlander and 4Runner). I might be tempted to buy my third 4Runner instead of the FJ Cruiser.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Ditto! With current pricing on the 4Runner running anywhere from $1k-3k off invoice (the bigger discounts are reserved for the V8s), it is going to be tough to pay more for the FJ than a 4Runner which can be currently had for under $28k.

BUT, there is not really much room between Highlander and 4Runner because 4WD V6 Highlanders start at about $26k. I would expect the FJ prices to quickly stabilize between Rav4 and 4Runner/Highlander prices.... IMHO. If they do not, many more of us will be back to driving 4Runners. Then the only reason to buy an FJ will be the manual tranny...
    I got in on the survey this time.
    The questions seemed to be different this time. They asked how interested you would be in more info on the FJ. I of course said VERY!!! Then they asked what would be a good name for the sound system. Those were the two major questions besides what TV channels you watch and mags you read. Obviously for advertising purposes. So make sure you check you e-mail for that chance to win a trip to SEMA to see the FJ. :shades:
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Yes, the last survey was about the FJ, this one was about how they should market it.
    I thought the question about what they should name the radio was odd.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Regarding the prior comment about gas milage being a deterent to buying the FJ. The FJ will have a very strong emotional pull due to its fantastic styling.

It reminds me of a cross between a Hummer 3 and a Mini Cooper.

The media very much over hypes the affordability issue regarding gas. The sky is always falling, we are always running out, gloom doom etc.

If people really are having a problem with affording gas they might want to upgrade their job skills, work harder, and live below their means. Save for a rainy day.

I would bet that the FJ is a major hit and I am seriously considering buying one.

With auto passion,
    "If people really are having a problem with affording gas they might want to upgrade their job skills, work harder, and live below their means. Save for a rainy day."

Wow, what an asinine statement
    let's not be mean! :-)

praxis: I have driven a 6-speed Tacoma, and it is a nice box. Much shorter throws than my own 1990 4Runner, although it is no sports car stick. It is nice and smooth, and the clutch is so light on engagement that it takes a little getting used to: it is not easily apparent at first where it is actually engaging. It certainly does not fit the stereotype of a "truck manual" though - it would be easy to use in commute traffic for instance. The clutch has a long travel, with engagement a little high for my tastes, but not enough to kill the deal by any means.

As for fuel economy, has ayone seen the numbers on the XTerra? THAT won't be a high bar for Toyota to hurdle! But I agree, with gas prices what they are now (and going up rapidly), FJ's sales are going to be impacted.

I am assuming that FJ will weigh about the same as the Tacoma V-6, and that thing is WAY faster than I would need. Now I know there are plenty of folks out there who will want the speed, but for me it would be fine if Toyota made a smaller engine optional, that got better fuel economy. I hear they will have an optional V-6 for the RAV for '06 - perhaps they could make that same engine the optional lower-power V-6 in the FJ. EPA numbers in the low to mid-20s would have me a lot more interested than the high teens I am expecting.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello Step and if $40.00 a month of increased gas price pushes one over the financial edge, I would generally conclude that the individual is living beyond his means. If an individual has had a personal tradegy in his life than that is the exception.

As you know, it has always been wise to live below ones means and plan for a rainy day. You know, the concept of personal responsibility.

If this does not make sense to you then the logical part of your brain may not be working and I wish you well.

For the prior poster you have raised a great idea regarding more engine options.

For the rest of you good luck in winning the contest for the Vegas trip.
  • mmaestrommaestro Member Posts: 1
    Hola,

I've been searching online for any rumors about a hybrid fj cruiser without success. I makes sense to me that Toyota would come out with one because of their emphasis on dominating the hybrid market and the esculating gas prices in the U.S.

I would wait to get a hybrid fj if I know that one is coming out. 17 mpg is not doable anymore. 35 o.k. 50 oh yeah! Toyota could clean up the hybrid suv market.
    mmaestro....good point, though I wouldn't expect anything like that in the too-soon future. But maybe in a no-nonsence machine like this a diesel, might be a nice option...
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    BPraxis is right. If you can't swinbg 40$ in gas, you are driving the wrong car. Or truck. Check out another forum and stop wasting our time.

As for mmaestro...

Quote:

"I've been searching online for any rumors about a hybrid fj cruiser without success. I makes sense to me that Toyota would come out with one because of their emphasis on dominating the hybrid market and the esculating gas prices in the U.S.

I would wait to get a hybrid fj if I know that one is coming out. 17 mpg is not doable anymore. 35 o.k. 50 oh yeah! Toyota could clean up the hybrid suv market."

Please don't waste our time, and please read this ENTIRE forum. This subject has been covered already. If you want to know something, research it. But allow me to help:

Batteries aren't yet capable enough to withstand the pounding a real off-road SUV is supposed to dish out...or take. The electrics/electronics aren't durable enough. Not yet,

In regards to thinking any SUV will get 35mph in any form...that's just a dumb comment. No SUV does or will. Don't mention either the Liberty diesel or the Ford/Mazda twins, or even the Subaru lineup. They struggle to get the REAL mileage that the EPA credits them with. I don't argue that there are better MPG choices than the FJ will be. I just don't think that you shuld expect more than 17mpg.

Let the arguments begin.

Dave Becker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everybody. I placed my "waiting list deposit" this morning....

I nearly crashed a few weeks ago when I saw a pre-production FJ on the streets of Carson, CA . It is not all that uncommon to see pre-production vehicles in L.A. due to the close proximity to all the Automotive Design studios in the area.

Like all the pre-release vehicles, the FJ I saw was wrapped in that infamous black fabric to hide its identity, but there was a small gap near the roof line above the access doors and I could easily see part of a white capped roof and blue body panels. Any FJ fan would know exactly what it was!

Because of the black wrapping, all I could really judge was the outer dimensions of the FJ. What really impressed me was the aggressive stance. I would describe it as looking a lot tougher/bolder than I expected, not anemic like a new Xterra, those nice BFG's really helped.

Anyways, I have been on the lookout for it ever since and a few days later my boss saw it too!
    Your assignment if you choose to accept it is to carry a digital camera with you every day and chase that bad boy down and share some photos. I will be happy to post them on the web for you! :shades:
    at a 4-cyl 4WD Tacoma tonight, and the thought occurred to me that I wouldn't mind too much if they made the Tacoma's 4-cylinder the optional engine for the FJ. It's a big torquey 2.7L four, it does 3 points better (EPA rating) than the V-6 - you could actually get low 20s out of that engine. And it might do a little better for mileage in the FJ than it does in the pick-up.

• lwholeselllwholesell Member Posts: 2
    Ok guys...good news! I work for a Toyota Dealership and my dealer, who is also my father, is in Chicago this week for Toyota's New Cars Show. He called this afternoon to let me know how amazed he is with the FJ. Toyota had three FJ's on hand and the colors were....Blue....Yellow....and silver.
    He said the interior of the vehicle is pretty plain...rubber floors and pretty basic insturments/gauges. But all in all an extremely kewl Truck. When he gets back in town I will get the pics off of his camera phone and will try to upload them to the board.
    Also, any one that is interested, Toyota had the new Tundra on hand that will go into production 4th qtr of 06. I think he also got some pics of that truck as well.
    I cant wait to see/share these pics
    Are the guages yellow as in prototype? Please post pics. Any pics with both doors open?
    If you have any trouble posting pics go ahead and contact me (e-mail in my profile) and I will be happy to post them!
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I am wondering if Toyota will offer a winch on FJ...

We want a winch! We want a winch!
  • kbirdsallkbirdsall Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Did you get those new pics posted. If so where are they i'm very curious to see the inside of the new FJ.
  • 00120012 Member Posts: 8
    I wonder what percentage of buyers will choose the 6-speed transmission? I suspect it will be similar to Jeep Wrangler buyers, but I don't know that split either.
    I hope "Iwholesell" posts those pictures soon!
    hardly builds any manuals because demand is low low low. But OTOH, Toyota builds a lot of 6-speed Tacomas, so people buying trucks DO often want the manual. Personally, I hope they put a healthy mix of manuals in once it arrives.

• theory2theory2 Member Posts: 7
    FYI: Just saw production and interior pics at "the car lounge" forums. Pretty close to the concept exterior.
  • sockr_momsockr_mom Member Posts: 1
    I'm a 30ish soccer mom that currently drives a 2004 Toyota Sequoia and a 2001 soft top Wrangler (my fun car). My hubby is strongly encouraging me to look at the FJ hoping it will cure my need for both of the cars and he swears he's seen the FJ showing that it has an open roof?? Can anyone say for sure?

By the time these are available my oldest will be driving (my Jeep, no less) so I might not be so inclined to insist on the 3rd seat (I'll have 2 kiddlets remaining). I do like the look of the new 4Runner and the option of the 3rd seat, but if the FJ has a pop top available, that wins out with me.

Anyone?