Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• hawmanhawman Member Posts: 19
    I believe the "mystery button" on the door is the "WINDOW LOCK" button. It prevents kids from messing with the power window switches. The location is right and the button appears to be a small square which is the same as the rest of toyota's lineup.
    the lowest button in the center of the dash could possibly be the DAC button...just like the runner that Downhill Assist comes in handy off road.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    by the edges of the windshield, cute.

Wish that gauge pack at the top of the center stack were standard, but knowing Toyota, will bet it is not.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    The low range would most likely be engaged by the shifter ahead and to the right of the automatic tranny selector.

I doubt FJ would have a DAC - too much for a "utilitarian" vehicle

bowmar9 sounded confident about an AC outlet, but that's the first time I've heard of it, and, again, it would be too much for a "utilitarian" FJ.

The three buttons we see could be Locking Diff engagement, TRAC off, and Stability Control off

What's puzzling are the four squares next to the actual buttons. It appears as if more buttons could be placed there. What would those be? Also, to the right of the stereo unit there are two circles for possibly two more buttons. Unless Toyota made those squares and circles for aesthetic reasons...

I find the entire interior color scheme a bit too tacky. Perhaps, other colors would match a bit better. What do you folks think?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    It looks like it has a very small, drop-down glove box at knee level. I wonder what's behind that huge expanse of blank plastic where a normal glove box would sit?
    airbag?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, I see an air-bag blow out panel in the TOP of the dash (over where the glovebox would sit). Seems like there would be a LOT of volume behind that big, blank expanse of plastic; more than should be necessary for an airbag.
    Anybody locate the power mirror controls? They're usually on the door panel just in front of the power windows/locks buttons but I don't see them.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Would you really need a window lock for just two windows? Usually that is on a 4 power window vehicle
    Yeah that is HUGE. They should at least put a cool FJ emblem to add a little to it.
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    The info that I posted was based a seeing a hi-res pic of the dash posted on the ih8mud.com fj cruiser forum, the thread is interior pic, different angle, post #8 on 9/28/05. I may have the engine on vs off wattages reversed, It is clear that the button is marked AC, 115VA. While it was posted that the Tacoma has the same feature, but I can't verify that.
  • derail1derail1 Member Posts: 10
    Here is some more info about those option questions...
    "For the first time ever, FJ Cruiser enthusiasts will be able to view its modern and rugged interior features, including the sporty instrument panel, color-keyed door trim panels and center cluster, double folding rear seats with removable seat cushion, and water repellant seats fabric and floor mats. Available options include a compass, outside temperature indicator and inclinometer. The FJ Cruiser is also available with A-TRAC and rear differential lock for off-road driving fun. The vehicle will be on display at the Toyota booth and go on sale next spring."

Looks like that gauge cluster is an option...and what is the A-TRAC they are talking about?
    stands for Active TRACtion - a 4 wheel electronic traction aid
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    I love the looks of this truck! Has anyone mentioned the size yet? Bigger than RAV 4, Wrangler?
  • jrzzjrzz Member Posts: 2
    Does it appear that you can plug in a MP3 player into the head unit? Hope so. :)
    OK so it does look like the 4th button on the door is to child proof the windows.
    And what we thought were two blank spaced next to the stereo are actually an indicator for the passenger air bag. and some other indicator that lights up.
    The three sticks coming off the steering column are 1.) Turn signals and lights 2.) Windshield whipers and 3.) Cruise control.
    Now what is that below the Aux? I hope it's a switch so that you can either have it work with the car on or off. My chevy stay's on all the time and I cilled a battery once when I left something plugged into it over night. So hopefully they give you the choice!
    Oh and I luv' the toyota logo on the head unit! Not sure about MP3 but it looks like the AM button can also be use for Serius or MX Satelite radio.
    FJ is based on a 4Runner platform, the wheelbase being 4 inches shorter, while the overall size is 11 inches shorter, which would give better approach and departure angles, than what 4Runner has
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Without getting into a range war over nits.. I will grant 2.4 is the 'pure' average.. IF.. the volume is 45000 units but it could be in the 35K range too. The Prius was initially 35000 units until they found that they needed 100K/yr.

But for round numbers lets say 3 units is the average expectation per store initially. Frankly all stores are not equal. The mega-stores like Longo and the second-tier stores like Carmax in MD sell 10-20 times the volume of a typical store. They are Toyota's best customers. They will get well over an average allotment of 3 per month ( 15 to 20/ mo?). This means that the local stores will get less than an 'average' allotment. As I said previously maybe 1-2 per month.

Time will tell and its almost on us..

Peace

kdhspyder
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Wow! That's pretty cheap for a 4runner, Highlander, and Tacomas. I sell Toyotas in Va and we sure don't sell them for those prices. Where are you getting this info from? ;) And my suggestion to those wanting an FJ cruiser is to put a deposit down on one otherwise you'll be waiting for a looooonnngg time to get one from the looks of what is going on now at my dealership.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
    We've waited that long, what's another couple of years :P

I figure, when the new Tundra comes out in 2007, Toyota dealers will make good profit off it, and let FJ go for a few hundreds bucks over the invoice
    besides me wish that the blue panel surrounding the stereo were metal like in the original, but suspect that it is in fact shiny plastic? :-(

• shaggyfreshshaggyfresh Member Posts: 6
    This is what I DO NOT LIKE about the new FJ:

1. No apparent input for an iPod or mp3 player.
    2. Plastic fake metal on the dash (near the air vents on both sides). This would look so much better in brushed aluminum or steel.
    3. Blue panel surrounding the stereo... is is metal or plastic? If it is plastic, bad move.
    4. Ugly bright Toyota logo on steering wheel (should have been black).
    5. White interior above doors and ceiling.
    6. NO SUNROOF???
    7. Ugly looking shift handle.
    8. No way to roll down mini passanger windows.
    9. Wish the rear window would go down like my 4-Runner rather than flip-up.

I definitely think they made some mistakes with this one... I am guessing to keep the cost down.
    I love the mechanical specs and really like the exterior, but the interior should have been slightly
    more "rugged" (metal, not plastic) and definitely more functional (windows, sunroof, etc.).
    If they address this in future models I will be the first to buy one.

Thanks for the detailed pics!
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    I have been able to verify that the Tacoma does have the 115V power outlet. See the 2006 Tacoma options at http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options.html
  • verbotenverboten Member Posts: 18
    If you wanted all the things you don't like it would probably add about $5-8K more to the price!

Maybe the FJ isn't for you.
    I've a slightly different slant:

1. Inputs for mp3 player should be next to nothing cost wise. All I want is a jack for aux input. Why is this so difficult?
    2. Agree with you on the cost of steel/aluminum on the dash. I think it's fine the way it is.
    3. See #2 above.
    4. What's wrong with Toyota logo on steering wheel? That's a heck of a nit.
    5. I like the white interior above the window line. Lighter colors help the interior feel bigger.
    6. A sunroof should be an option. Cost about $700.
    7. Auto shift handle does look goofy; how much could a more conventional shift lever cost? (Not that I care, I prefer a manual).
    8. What's wrong with the windows in the 1/2 doors? They've never rolled down (AFAIK) in the Tacoma; do the windows in ANY manufacturer's 1/2 doorlets roll down?
    9. Agree the window in the rear door should retract ala 4runner. This feature has been one thing to set the 4runner apart from the competition over the years and should be retained for the FJ. Cost couldn't be more than a few hundred $.
    I think plenty of people would pay for a nice big sun/moon roof as an option on this vehicle. I also love the way my 4Runner rear-window retracts. I could just imagine the FJ with all the windows down and a big hole in the roof... nice!

The side windows going down, well that was just a request from the dogs.

The other things were more just design/cosmetic concerns. However these days I can't believe they even make stereos without mp3 inputs. I guess we are lucky that it plays CD's instead of cassette tapes!

I will probaby get one anyway, if the price is right. I was just thinking about how to make it even better.
  • allen101caallen101ca Member Posts: 16
    The auto companies with iPod connections do it through the back. Nice 1/2 hour of dealer time to charge, on top of the 100 bucks for the cable to the glovebox.
  • joesmithejoesmithe Member Posts: 4
    Are any of you going to be able to make it to the Off Road Show in Pomona this weekend to see what they present? Hopefully they will allow full access to crawl around and through. I won't be able to make it... so am hoping one of you fine folks will get the full scoop and lots of pictures!!
    I will be leaving San Diego around 8:00 so I will be there about an hour after the doors open. I will post photos when I get back that evening.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    These were the prices at Carmax before Oct 3. Currently they are bit higher but only on some of these models because Toyota has yanked some of the incentives for this month. Check out Fitzmall too because they also post their prices. VA dealerships are a pain :sick: and MD seems to be a more open and competitive market place. For example, MD limits the doc fee to $100 whereas VA dealers do not have a limit and many charge a few hundred in junk fees... :mad:

If you are in NVA, it is often worth the drive across the river! ;)
    If you have a chance to sit in the car please turn on the interior lights. I hope they have kept the YELLOW gauge lights!
    And new developments:

SS FJ door sill plates
    Huge sub woofer right rear 1/4 panel
    rear pop up window is curved to avoid spare wheel
    Spare wheel is bolt on, not swing out
    Silver exterior color
    Blue exterior color had SS oval tail pipe
    Set up for Police/Ranger with light bar on top

Awesome!!
    So if the tire doesn't swing out how do you open the lower part of the hatch?

Light bar, so we are going to start seeing rangers cruising the back roads in FJ's!!! NICE!
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    http://www.sor.com/Misc_05FJ_Leno.html

By the way, does this one only have two windshield wipers?
    I just figured out exactly what one of the buttons is. The lower button on the left center of the dash has three different positions. It is the Iverter for the AC power outlet that will be located in the back. This outlet appears to be exactly like the one found in the bed of the 05 tacoma. Should run 100W with vehicle going down the road and 400W idling. HANDY. Outlet can be seen via the www.sor.com link about...go to the FJ page and then the picture set titled "FJ visits SOR" (or somethin like that) picture #30 bottom right below huge subwoofer

One of the other buttons...top rightish...very well could be the switch for the roof lights.
    Nope 3rd picture you can see the middle wiper behind them.

OH and never mind about my comment above asking how the door opened. I just remembered before that it's a swing door. WoW Brain Fart!
  • fjjrfjjr Member Posts: 12
    Ya, Silver for sure!----What's up with those wipers though? They look really off center?---Seems like the drivers side is covered only!-----I'd like to see a double wiper that covered the whole windshield, come on Toyota don't F this one up!----I just got on the list at my local dealership, don't wana have to back out. Everything else look great-----Hopefully we'll be able to through a couple inches of lift and a new exhaust system. I'll put some white rims on if I can find them.-----not a fan of the black.
    Thanks that's exaclty the link I was trying to describe in my incoherent rambling...picture # 30 shows the power outlet...after reading back in the forum a ways turns out that BOWMAR9 was way ahead of me, I tip my hat to you. So really all I found was the picture of it.
  • patrix7patrix7 Member Posts: 7
    Hey great pics...but what is that round thing in picture #30?
    It also appears that the rear seats are of the "stadium" type which should give passengers a bit more to look at.
    I didn't notice any additional speakers in the roof...wern't there supposed to be?
    Also couldn't tell if the rear windows at least flipped open since they don't seem to roll down.
    Well, looked all over those pics---still can't see the third wiper??----#3 is a shot of the rear tire from the side??------the wide angle shots show only two, way offset to the driver side? What's going on!
  • allen101caallen101ca Member Posts: 16
    take a look at the pics on blue test fj from yesturday:

http://www.sor.com/FJ_atSOR.html
    Looks like the rear seats do not fold completely flat? Rats! Also, I think the triple wipers are going to be just fine, it was just an odd angle.

Thanks for the pics and links.
    It doesn't look like the passenger seat folds flat either, or does it?-----I thought Toyota was going to allow ALL the seats to fold down, creating a sleeping area for two. They seem to be missing the mark in some key areas on this one. Wish the options included a modification of the rear window, allowing it to roll down like the 4runner. The Dogs are real bumed! :(
    Photo 12 makes those back passenger windows look pretty big. Plus I did not notice a little button on the outside of the window in any photo wich would allow them to pop open. So I can't imagine that these windows will be fixed and that large. I HOPE THYE GO DOWN!!!! Because they sure don't pop out like my Extra Cab.
    Oh and we probably won't be opening that rear glass door once the FJ has a much needed 2in lift and a 31 or 32" tire bolted to the back! I doubt that the window has that much clearance from that stock joke of a tire.
    Picture #19 http://www.sor.com/FJ_atSOR.html leaves no doubt - the seats fold just like in 4Runner, and only someone very short would be able to camp inside. I hear XTerra's seats fold flat, including front passenger seat?
    Just saw something that said the FJ will probably go for around 25-27K!-----doesn't fit in with the comp.?----That's a little steep for me! :surprise: I hope they're wrong.