Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    It will probably list someplace in that range but given the typical discounts on 4Runners and Highlanders that have been here for a couple years it is likely that its pricing will settle somewhere around $4k after all the hoopla has worn off.

This month '05 4Runners start at under $26k and V8 models are selling for upto 7k off MSRP. :D Given this contrast, who would buy an FJ for the same price?
  • mrsabermrsaber Member Posts: 6
    Rear windows? Look at picture 28 of the blue FJ - Is that a power cable running out to the rear door? If so does that mean the windows move?

Silver model has a slot for the third wiper its just not there.

I need to replace my 85 runner with this FJ but don't no if I can stomach full MSRP.
    Not to mention my father inlaw works for FORD and will not talk to me if I get another Toyota, oh well.
  • verbotenverboten Member Posts: 18
    The rear side window cannot be lowered because there is not enough room due to the angle of the lower part of the door.

There are only 2 wipers on the silver FJ and the spot for the 3rd is an air intake.
    Maybe you can lower them 1/2 way? back set windows that is.
    What is that compartment you see the hand opening above the stearing wheel in pictures 24-25 of the blue one?

I think if you look past the black air intake on the silver one you will see the same triangular cut out for the third wiper.
  • fjjrfjjr Member Posts: 12
    Good point!---I hope you're right.-----The base on the X-terra is about 18-20K, Same with the Element--------FJ could be in that slot as well if we're lucky.---I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath!
  • hawmanhawman Member Posts: 19
    Everything that Ive seen has said that the $27K mark is the top of the price range. I hear they will start right around $20K. Word is that the production is going to be limited enough to keep demand high. I wouldn't hold my breath for rebates. The 05 Tacomas still don't have them with 06's arriving now. and I would think this FJ will be atleast that popular. As for 4runners selling for $7k off the sticker...not happening on a regular basis...maybe in a newspaper add as a "loss leader", but good luck getting that ONE. (the largest toyota rebate I've ever seen was $2500 and I can tell you that it is a FACT that there is not $5000 of dealer markup in any 4 runner) Toyota simply isn't that desparate to get rid of inventory...good for the product, good for toyota, but we will have to pay a little more for the superior vehicle.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Does anyone know if you have the ability to order a Toyota from the factory. Any time that I have purchased a Toyota the salesman always attempt to dealer locate or sell out of inventory.

When I have asked the manager of the dealership about ordering they were evasive and said they could find what we wanted at the port or throughout the region.

I know that BMW is happy to place an order for a new car.

Does anyone have any experience ordering a vehicle from Toyota?
    It is extremely difficult. The way toyota's allocation works is the dealer can "preference" a vehicle a certain way but there is no guarantee. It takes a ton of jumping through hoops of fire to guarantee exactly what a customer is looking for.

I am told this is because of their production process. And interuptions or deviations in the line to make a special order would in theory cause a drop in quality.
    FJ should not top $30K if Toyota truly positions it below the 4Runner as it should. Thus, it would be logical for 2WD plain-Jane to start at $20k in order to compete with the Element and Xterra. As is typically for Toyota, expect to pay through the nose for highly desirable options.... like side air bags... or the off road package...

Hawman, I suggest you do a bit of surfing before you jump to conclusions. '05 V8 4Runners have been selling for close to $5-6k off for weeks now. BTW: those models currently carry a $3k rebate but it is also clear that there exist additional (year end) incentives. Simply surf over to one of the no-haggle dealerships or even try out carsdirect (in a CA zip) and you will quickly get a pretty good idea of the current market pricing. In fact, carsdirect pricing is typically ok but not great.

'05 Tacos do not have rebates but carmax currently lists them at $250 below invoice. The auto industry is having a tough time moving vehicles that do less than 20mpg with price of gas around $3/gal and the FJ is likely to suffer the same fate within month of its debut!
    there was no jumping to conclusions in my comment and if I've offended you in some way I appologize. Rebates do vary from region to region so if yours is $3000, then it's $500 more than ours. At $3000 rebate your "close to 5-6k off of sticker" becomes realistic. But you said $7k before. NOT TRYING TO ARGUE JUST CLARIFYING WHY I DISAGREED!

BTW the reason for the larger rebate is the slight change in body style the 06 4runner is getting. They are simply trying to offer incentive enough to people who notice the cosmetic differences. (which are many) believe me, I know how to negotiate a car deal and I also know toyota it's all I will own, so I have learned to recognize when they hold the cards...on the FJ the hand is theirs.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    I just got back from the Expo and I am working on downloading the photos and uploading to my site. Unfortunately the FJ was up on a stage and the only thing you could touch if you had a good reach like myself was the front corner of the bumper that sticks out squaring it off. By the way it's plastic like everything else in this automotive world. The doors weren't even open, it was the silver one, and the people knew nothing. I asked them about the rear passenger window and they didn't know and I asked about the front seats folding flat and they didn't know that either. They also didn't know a price range. They were pretty much there taking e-mail address' from potential buyers. OK gota work on the photos now. Will post again in a few!

OK photos are now up but I don't want to take up a whole bunch of space here so just visit my site "vehicleshoot" and click on the FJ Cruiser link at the bottom of the main page on the right.
    For all the other photos from the show you can join my Yahoo Group and I will have them up in there tomorrow. Yahoo Group link is alson on the main page of my site.
    By the way you can plainly see from my photos that there are three windshield wipers. I don't know what you guys were seeing in the other photos on SOR but I always saw 3 of them!
  • allen101caallen101ca Member Posts: 16
    and nice site!

To bad they didn't allow hands on!

Thanks agian!
  • joesmithejoesmithe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to put these up for the rest of us. I'm glad I didn't rearrange my day to try to get over to Pomona.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In the Mid Atl region there is a temporary glut of '05 4Runners this month. The Mid Atl region has put $3K rebates on the V8 4R but only $1500 on the V6's. Getting $5-6K off a V8 4WD ( incl rebate ) is very doable this month.

The Marketing of the FJ will be like that of the Scions 3 yrs ago as evidenced by the O/R show just visited above. Word of Mouth - no advertising at all - suddenly the FJ's will show up a few at a time.

kdhspyder
    The 4runner is 3 yrs into a product cycle and one can expect discounts. FJ's will not be significantly discounted for at least 2 yrs.

This is a low end low margin vehicle. There is nothing expensive in it. Most will never go off-road, but adorn many suburban houses. Like mine. Eventually, after the plastic has cracked, the color makes you sick and the thrill of hosing out the inside to clean has worn off, they will get into the hands of young adults for cheap offroad fun.
    Obviously, as a member of any discussion: "we agree to disagree"!!!?

FJ was a grand idea that dates back to the days when SUVs with real offroad capabilities were the norm and the crossovers where just hitting their stride. Nissan got it right when it released the Xterra 5 years ago, but Toyota missed the boat with this segment (interestingly, they nailed the crossover segment with their HL).

Today's landscape is significantly diffirent! Look at all the dooms day predictions that are current floating around about the GM's Tahoe and Suburban? Did know that GM is predicting 20 mpg (city) for these models? Same dooms day predictions could really apply to FJ and even the current 4Runners and larger SUVs. Frankly, if GM can get their full size SUVs to achieve 20 mpg-city, it is unlikely that Toyota's current engines in the 4Runner or FJ or the Nissan SUVs will get much traction in the market place.

The SUV market segment has topped and the non-crossover sub-segment has already started to shrink. Obviously, that segment is still way too overcrowded and it is only getting more crowded: more models, more competion, less demand all lead to the same conclusion! Prices will have to moderate! As it is the MSRP pricing on many SUV has continued to climb but the street prices have actually come down; the slide is already on the way.... Why and how is this possible? First and foremost, SUV have overly high markups and are one of the most profitable sectors for the automakers. That has remained so because the market was expanding but over the last few months and even years, the consumer preferences have started to shift.... you get the idea....

I have said this before: FJ will get a couple of months of overpricing but it will slip right below 4Runner very quickly. Does everyone remember the '03 4Runner release? In the first month, some paid over MSRP but it quickly came down to invoice and was selling well under that by that summer. If FJ pricing does not fall far enough, many of us (like myself) will simply get yet another 4Runner because it is much easier for me to sell the 4Runner to my family. If the price is the same FJ will always come a very distant second.

My $0.02!
    No way in HELL can GM squeze 20MPG CITY out of the new Tahoe and Suburban. I'll believe 15 City, 20 Hwy. Which is close to what the current models do... 14/18.
  • mcspice2001mcspice2001 Member Posts: 1
    Hey i was wondering if you could help me get to your site
    I don't know if this site will leave my link up but it is VehicleShoot.com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sure, that can stay up - nice site. I enjoyed looking at the Portfolio section!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Cool thanks, I luv what I do and I just wish I could do more of it!!! Never can shoot enough and I can't wait to shoot my first Magazine feature! Maybe my very own FJ will be my first mag feature? That would be a double bonus!!!
    How do you all feel about the color choices for our FJ?

1. Voodoo Blue
    2. Atomic Yellow
    3.Titanium
    4. Cherry Pearl
    5. Black Metallic

The yellow would be a very fun color but a little to subtle for me so I would probably go with the safe titanium. The color contrast with the roof would be nicer with the other colors though. Silver would provide a more monochromatic look.

What is your best guess for gas milage? Given the fact that the FJ is about 11 inches shorter than the 4runner I am hoping that the weight savings will translate into gas savings.
    Are you sure about those color choices?-----I've heard they will have a tan model as well.----I think a Tan FJ would look great, my first choice, then it would be the Black. Black does look a little bit like a cop car though, at leas here in CA, but at least you can see the contrasting body colors. I'll need to see the silver in person to decide weather it's too monotone or not.------I like the blue, but I'm sure I'd get sick of it, and yellow, come on, only those desperately seeking attention will be sporting these.---just my thoughts
    I'll take the tan or the orange color one.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I figure 19/23 automatic, 18/22 manual, based on the Tacoma, which should weight about the same. Maybe a point less on the highway, because the FJ will be less aerodynamic than the Tacoma is. Those numbers are for the 4WD.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

There will also be a limited Moab edition in all black including wheels and top.
    The silver looked good in person at the off-road show Saturday. My FJ Link
    After talking with my girl, deciding what we would want in the future we might have eliminated the FJ for the Taco.
    At the Off-Road Expo my girl spotted this very versitile pop-up tent triler Link We were diggin' it and thought it would go great behind an FJ. But then we realised paying $5K for a tent would be kinda stupid so then I priced out some small 18' trilers in our area and found one from 99 for $4,500. Now we would have a dumper and shower wich we really miss on our camping trips with our friends who all have toy haulers. But I don't know if that V6 in the FJ is going to hack it on the hills out of Borego back to San Diego. So I think I might be jumping ship to the TRD Taco crew.... :(
    The only downside to the taco that I can see is that our luggage won't be enclosed. But there are a number of upsides. We could carry some little 70's in the bed of the truck, it has a V8, I will get better pricing deals on a taco, and last an most important, it is already a proven vehicle.
    So what do you guys think about an FJ towing an 18' trailer :confuse:
    If you are going to do a Taco + tent trailor, I would recomend just a Taco + Bed Tent. Nothing to haul around, it just pops up in your truck bed.

The TJ would never be able to pull a 18' trailer, but that light wieght 6x8 trailer you linked it will pull that all day long.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "But I don't know if that V6 in the FJ is going to hack it on the hills out of Borego back to San Diego. So I think I might be jumping ship to the TRD Taco crew..."

Doesn't the Taco and the FJ have the exact same V6? You can't get a V8 in the Tacoma; are you thinking of the Tundra?
    Oh wow, I don't know what I was smokn'!!!! Your right. My Bad!!! Damn now I don't know what we are going to do??? HMMMMMM
  • 00120012 Member Posts: 8
    Do you have any more details about the Moab edition? ?transmission?leather seats (seem to be common in most limited editions...even trucks..). Out of curiosity, how do you find out this kind of information?
    Anyway, the black vehicle really sounds neat. Since black shows scratches and dirt easily, I am not sure how appropriate it would be for off-road driving.

Thanks.
    that was a joke.
  • jayhoodjayhood Member Posts: 2
    Still have not seen any details here or elsewhere: Is the FJ more Tacoma like ("4X4") or 4Runner like ("AWD" or Multi-Mode 4-wheel drive)? (I.E., Will there be full time 4WD availability?) I would think that this would be a concern of folks interested in the FJ -- wanting one or the other, but not one of them. Anybody have any insights or hard information?
    It's based on the 4runner platform. selectable 4x4.
    There has been a lot of talk about the FJ having a Locking Rear differential and the picture a few pages back of the interior shows a button that looks A LOT like "RR DIFF LOCK". Based on the rest of Toyota's lineup that eliminates the AWD. In the models (4runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser) that offer the AWD/4WD there is a Locking center differential.

VSC/TRAC is going to be standard but expect that to cancel when 4WD is activated.
    Hey, anyone else notice the girl in pic 31 on the SOR.com site? That fit looks real tight and she can clearly see over the wheel without lifts. Until I saw a shot with someone sitting in the FJ I couldn't tell how small it really was. Maybe too small?-----The same girl in #31 also stands out in #32 as the shortest person there! If this cab looks cramped on her how the hell am I going to fit in there??---Anyone else feel like this might be a "mini" feeling vehicle? :confuse:
    Anyone see a middle arm rest?
    NO! Don’t like that ether. What about that big side mirror? I’ve seen some pictures that make it look like it comes half way up the side window. Combine that with the hefty A(?) pillar with that grab handle and I’m bitchen about my visibility like when I drive my wife’s explorer. Love the overall looks though and will replace my 85 runner with one in the spring.
    She's got the seat cranked all the way forward as if she were driving. You can see her feet are on the pedals. Plus she has the seat back almost straight. I think it's good for short people because they can see they will be able to drive it. And I am sure with the seat back and reclined a touch it will be comfortable for people up to 6'-2" just like the Tacoma. She has pleanty of headroom in there and with the window going all the way to the roof it should be fine for taller people.
    As for the center arm rest where are you guys seeing that? :confuse:
    I've seen the blue, yellow, silver, and black. Has anyone seen the red? Where did you find the colors listed above? And I would think that tan or gold would be offered...anyone know facts on colors?
    1. Atomic Sun

2. Voodoo Blue

3. Cherry Pearl

4. Black Metallic

5. Titanium

This information is from Toyota from a friend of mine that works at a dealer.
  • patrix7patrix7 Member Posts: 7
    I see that there is no consul and I haven't seen any seats with folding down arm rests...my 14 year old son says, "so what Dad, get a box to rest your arm on"...Good attitude eh?
    in the scion B the armrest is a dealer accessory. customer installs. wierd, i know.
    Toyota apparently has moved the expected arrival date of the FJ to late march...looks like we may be waiting a little longer than anticipated. :(
    where are you seeing that at?
    work at a dealership...gm showed us toyotas projection this morning
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Why don't they offer a dark green, like the Timberland Mica (formerly Imperial Jade Mica) that's available on the Tundra?

Toyota really shot themselves in the foot by not offering more color choices, IMO.

I still love the vehicle overall, however, and probably choose Titanium or Cherry Pearl (as long as it's not BRIGHT red). I still wish for a nice dark green, though...
    Yeah, I would dig an army green! Kinda dull.