Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Warranty Claims Administration

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No but God have mercy on your soul if you don't keep detailed receipts with dates, mileage and type of product/service performed on the letterhead of a credible service facility.
  • t140dt140d Member Posts: 2
    Hi, John. I'm having the same problem with warranty on a legally imported canadian Odyssey. The tranny's shot but the US dealer said they can't help. Could you get me the phone number so that I might try and get this resolved? Thanks!
  • ladyspurladyspur Member Posts: 1
    just found this site it is awesome,seems sometimes there is no one to help us warranty administrators.my problem is this, i have 18+ yrs exp in ford and gm warranty,but i was recently employed by a gm-dodge dealership and i have no dodge exp,but i am giving it my best. my problem is that i have been entering chrysler claims to no avail,everything i enter into claims submission comes back rejected.anyone with chry warr exp knows that there is no longer a helpline,you just have to wait on the warr district rep to come pay the claim.there has got to be another way to do this and i just dont know how.i recently started bringing my claims home so that i can do them here on my pc since chry claims have to be submitted on the website (daimler chrysler dealer connect) anyone with chrysler experience... please help,i've $30,000 in claims sitting on my schedule with less than 90 days to get them paid, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bboucherbboucher Member Posts: 1
    I have a honda 2002 odyssey with transmission problem,this van has had problem with the transmission from the day I drove it off the dealers lot .I have had it back to 2 other honda dealers to look at and they all try to fix but poblems come back. The van has 97.789 miles on it now can anyone HELP ME

Thanks Bill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Hi bboucher,
    The best place for your question is in our Transmission Traumas? discussion. This one is more about the claims administration process, and we probably can't help you with a specific problem with your vehicle here.

Please visit the topic linked above and post as many details as possible about your problem.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tschneider7tschneider7 Member Posts: 1
    Im a GM warranty administrator and my dealer also just purchased saab. I am in the same boat as you and I have to learn things as they come. I havent been able to find any classes or CDs yet but the Policies and Procedures Manual in dealerworld is a goldmine of info. It is new for 2006 and has all Saab info offset by yellow highlight. Its really easy to read. Im finding saab warranty extremely irritating compared to GM, but I learn to things every day. Also, I found out that the help center is filled with a bunch of temps and they are learning as they go also. Eventually, they will transfer everything to the GMhelpline to make it easier. Cant wait until everything merges onto a new claims system, but that wont be until 2008. Its supposed to be alot easier. Basically, printing out the manual is well worth it.
  • kateysfolkskateysfolks Member Posts: 1
    We are currently thinking of purchasing a 2001 Honda Odyssey which we know was manufactured in Canada; currently has 91,500 miles. Everything that we've read about the 2001 transmission is concerning us. Any advice/suggestions? Is it actually a positive that the transmission is at 91,500 and it's ok? How do we find out if this particular one was recalled?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Get the serial number and call your nearest Honda dealer (ask for Service dept). They should be able to look it up by VIN (serial number). You'll have to ask if they can do recall work on it since it was built in Canada.
    I can do recall work on Canadian GM vehicles, but I'm not sure how Hondas work.
    Either way, have the Ody checked over by your favorite mechanic before you buy it.
  • 6lines6lines Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a Nissan Warranty Administrator with 10 years of experience. I also handle Hyundai, Subaru, Isuzu and Suzuki.
  • hardthardt Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same issue with our "grey market" Honda Odyssey. It is having the transmission issue and they tell me at the dealership that it would be covered, but not since it is a "grey market". I am okay with paying some of the bill, but this is a known quality issue that they are turning their backs to. Do you have the contact information available? Tim
  • hardthardt Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I am right in the middle of dealing with this exact issue. All I get from the client relations people is technicalities regarding the vehicle being "grey market" instead of standing behind their product.
    Some manufacturers, like Honda, have taken a hard line about vehicles purchased in Canada and brought to the States for resale. It's a cash cow for these dealers, selling nearly-new cars cheaper than a legitimate dealer could. In an effort to stop this behavior, Honda has voided the warranties on these 'grey market' vehicles. They won't stand behind their Canadian product if it was sold in the U.S. You're probably shucksoutaluck. Hopefully, you got a great price on your Odyssey when you bought it.

Many people are unaware they have grey market vehicles until a situation like yours comes up, that's what really stinks about this thing. The customers get shafted, the shady dealers get little penalty. (they can be fined, I think, but it's rare)
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I have a place along the US/Canadian border.

I see a LOT of ex-Canadian used vehicles.
    A lady at our local bank had a warranty issue with her
    "grey" market GM vehicle. The US GM dealer would NOT
    cover the repair under warranty because of this.......

Simple solution was to take the car BACK over the border
    to a Canadian GM dealer and have it repaired for N/C under
    warranty.

I don't know if honda would do this. But its worth a
    phone call or 3 to honda to find out if this would work
    in your case..............
    Honda is a bit more hard-nosed than GM on this issue, but it would be worth a try.
  • nnawarrantygalnnawarrantygal Member Posts: 2
    There was recently a message board put up not hosted by NNA but they shut it down already.... :( it was a big help since I am a CAD dealer and cant call the CCC for help.....hopefully this board could be of some help?!
  • tabula56tabula56 Member Posts: 1
    John - who do you contact at Honda to resolve the warranty problem for a Canadian grey market vehicle innocently purchased in the U.S.??????????????????????
  • januszbjanuszb Member Posts: 1
    >>Some manufacturers, like Honda, have taken a hard line about vehicles purchased in Canada and brought to the States for resale<<

Honda manufacturer has no reason to take hard line about grey market. It is very beneficial for them to have market that they do not have to service. That it is why they voided extended warranties/recalls and not "authorization" for Honda Dealers. If Honda wanted to stop grey market they could do it easily by refusing to give dealers status of "authorized Honda dealer" and taking away some incentives for those dealers that sell their products through grey market route.
    I have bought my Odyssey 5 years ago in authorized Honda dealer, at time of purchase my vehicle had only 100 miles on odometer. At 44 k miles tranny needs replacement. I babied my car never tow anything. Both Honda USA and Honda Canada refuse to send replacement tranny despite the fact that acording to vin number I would be eligible if vehicle was not sold as grey market. As a customer I was not aware how authorized dealer aquire their cars I was convinced that I am buying genuine brand new Honda product and I did not care if it was manufactured in California, Ohio Canada or Japan in fact I was thinking that my car is Japanesse product. Honda divided itself into different entities to take advantage of diiferent laws and taxation and to have some excuses to not service or be responsible for faulty components but profits go to one huge corporation and their shareholders.
    It is time to end lame excuse of "grey market" If hundreds screwed up consumers would raise their voices and sue Honda in class action suit even if not won reputation of standing by their product would be tarnish. All those screwed up by Honda should not be sitting quiet.

Janusz
  • rusdawgrusdawg Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Dodge Ram pickup recently broke down while traveling out of town. The engine locked down and the dealer where I had it towed told me my warranty wouldn't cover repairs because of lack of maintenance on my part, which I disagree with. I called the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and was told that Dodge would send in an independent auditor to give a second opinion. However, when I called the number I was given, I was told that the dealer's decision was final. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Any one out there with any suggestions?
  • joepcar2joepcar2 Member Posts: 2
    You might try contacting your state guarranty association for assistance, they can only say no luck!!
  • hawaii101hawaii101 Member Posts: 10
    Are paint problems covered under the original bumper to bumper warranty? I have a 2003 Honda Element that has orange peel in the clear coat of most of the exterior. I went to the dealership and the service manager first tried to tell me that "all the Hondas were like that because that's how they paint them" The look on face told him I wasn't buying that story so he told me it was overspray. I informed him I had tried every product including a clay bar to remove overspray. At this point he got really grumpy and started talking about industrial fallout and explained that he was not an expert and I would have to talk to a representative from Honda because he did not want to have to carry the claim. I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific so these guys are the only dealership I have access to. What should my next step be? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.. :confuse:
  • tophamtopham Member Posts: 2
    My ford f-250 v-10 engine locked up on the road. After being towed to a certified garage it was found to have two bad rod bearings. Nether of my extended warranties would cover the repair. They claimed contaminated oil. The oil was not tested and all other bearing were immaculate. I performed all of the factory recommended servicing myself.

My conclusion:

All extended warranties are a rip off !!

Reply for names.
    1. read your manual, it will detail paint warranty procedures. Most paint problems surface within the first 10k miles, I'm surprised you're just now finding orange peel or overspray. They might say you've 'sat on your rights' by waiting till your car is (give or take) 3 years old to complain of a paint problem.
    2. are you still inside 3 years? IIRC Honda warranty is 3/36.
    3. call Honda customer service and ask.
  • signman1signman1 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone with JEEP problems with dealerships/DC refusing transmission (automatic) warranty issues-I started to sue them last year-they dragged me around for over a year-won in district court-they appealed- won again-they appealed to New Hampshire State Supreme Court-I WON again!
    Had a 2000 Sahara brand new-transmission failed less than 30k miles-after rear axle had been replaced due to water/rust TWICE-local stealership refused immediately because I didn't buy it from them-had it towed to my dealership-and it was already on the DC computer as refused by area factory rep. Forced to pay cash, extended warranty refused to pay it also...after 2 years-finally nailed them down in court! I will post word for word judgement to help others-this sets a PRECEDENT that can be used in other courts!
    So who paid? Chrysler or the Service Contract? Your 4 year old car should have been covered under the service contract. Anything Chrysler would do would be 'goodwill'.
    The 2000 Sahara had less than 23,000 miles on it-and was at that time less than 3 years old....Daimler Chrysler factory REP for New England outright REFUSED TO HONOR THE TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT WARRANTY...said 'it had to by (MY) fault that it went wrong'...
    in COURT, the lawyer for DC kept trying to say that I had pushed a jetski into a lake and went into water...BECAUSE THE DC PRINTED BROCHURE SHOWS THAT BEING DONE!!! The JUDGE himself finally told her to GIVE IT UP...if it was SHOWN IN THE BROCHURE then it MUST BE OKAY TO DO...and also, I didn't own a jetski or even a boat- IN COURT pulled up my pant leg and showed HER my LEG BRACE from toes to knee! Effectively preventing me from even RIDING a jetski. And, HER 'star witness' WAS the Service dept manager for the dealership that refused to fix it-and HE, UNDER OATH, testified that there was NO DAMAGE under or anywhere on the Sahara, it was in prime condition, no leaks, scrapes, dents, dings, OR ANY SIGN OF ANY ABUSE. He then went on to state that the ONLY SOURCE of this problem 'could be' a faulty VENT on the transmission vent line-and HE DID NOT TEST IT....end of case...Judge nailed them right there.
    a week later, we got FULL JUDGEMENT, and the lawyers for DC appealed it immedately. Another week, APPEAL DENIED, JUDGEMENT AWARDED AGAIN. A month later, THEY APPEALED TO THE NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE SUPREME COURT. A couple more months, my lawyer had to file or we would have lost by default. The case was then AWARDED TO ME AGAIN by SUPREME COURT because DC had NO CLAIM TO PURSUE APPEAL. They were ALSO chided BY THE JUDGES for failure to produce documents, and trying to introduce 'new' evidence that was unsupported.
    NOTHING Chrysler would do would be considered "GOODWILL"...if they give you a WARRANTY, THEY HAVE TO HONOR THAT WARRANTY.
    It is the DEALERSHIPS that do 'goodwill'...many of them will do warranty work even on vehicles that have been altered or modified...
  • rusdawgrusdawg Member Posts: 2
    My Ram 1500 also broke down while traveling, 150 miles from home. I had it towed to the nearest DC dealership which refused to honor the warranty due to "lack of maintenance." They said they found sludge in the engine, and subsequently charged me $243 to tell me this.
    I then had it towed to the DC dealership where I purchased the vehicle from. After @2-3 weeks, they denied the claim and gave a corporate denial number after supposedly having a corporate auditor come to take a look at the truck. They only charged me $40 to do this.
    I don't understand the discrepancy in cost between the two dealerships. Also, the service associate at my dealership said that an auditor must be called and a denial number given when a claim is denied, although neither happened at the first dealership.
    I've since paid to have a motor put in myself, in addition to the $400 I spent to have the truck towed back home. Any ideas as to what my next move should be?
    My dealership (the good one) was able to prove with computer printout that my Sahara had been properly maintained at the correct intervals, oil changes, filters, etc. and each time the mechanic had noted any 'other' problems if they existed-so my lawyer had this printout as evidence of 'proper maintainence and no damage or abuse'.
    If you hadn't been getting the services done at the right times, you may have screwed yourself...but if you can get the computer printout (and ALL dealerships will have access through your VIN number to this) and it shows proper maintanence..then you have a case like I did. Your first dealership may have screwed you for an engine flush or something to try and fix it-I got a 'tranny flush' and second dealer found NO evidence of it having been done but its not worth another lawsuit for $200....
    The factory rep had put in the denial claim on the first dealership-so my dealership couldn't make the claim-that's why I got stuck. So if there wasn't one the first time, I'd be thinking lawyer time! BUT make sure he files FOR LEGAL FEES in the first lawsuit...mine forgot to and had to eat most of it...we split the fees.
    If you can get a lawyer to take the case, he can contact me to get the court case docket # for proof that DC has been held accountable...they do NOT want anyone to know about this! It was in NH State Supreme Court this year...so it can be used to help in any state as far as I know!
    Sorry. I got confused between the 'two years later', and the fact it was a 2000 vehicle.

You stated:

"but if you can get the computer printout (and ALL dealerships will have access through your VIN number to this) and it shows proper maintenance..then you have a case like I did."

All dealerships do not have maintenance records. We (GM dealer) only have our in-house records and the record of warranty repairs that we can look up on the GM website. If you get your OLF done at Jiffy Lube or another dealership, we won't know about it. Every vehicle owner should keep his records,and not rely on a third party to keep track of his business.
    I meant all JEEP dealerships have full access to all JEEP records-a service manager showed me on his computer that he had access to anything done by any JEEP shop (and on my rubicon that showed 2) but the Sahara had been maintained strictly by jeep dealerships-never an outside source!
    Same thing the lawyers for DC tried to disclaim-that it had not been maintained, but was abused, damaged, etc. and their OWN witness refuted that on the stand! Worst witness they could have provided-best witness for us if we had needed one.
    And yes, it is well worth hanging on to EVERY record for anything-from parts to oil changes to tire rotation.
    It boiled down to a FACTORY dealer rep that did NOT want to authorize the warranty claim...for the dealership we went to first. Had I brought it to MY original dealer, they said they would have had NO problem getting it done on warranty-even though they had the same factory rep! They would have authorized it on the spot-as they had already rebuilt the rear axle twice and knew the vehicle...and maybe knew something I DIDN'T about why there was obviously a problem with water where it didn't belong on this vehicle-it had 900 miles on it when I got it 'new' from them.
  • statstat Member Posts: 19
    I have a question:

I Just bought a Toyota Yaris. brand new. I'm also someone who does their own oil changes, spark plug changes, etc. I usually perform my own 30k, 60k, 90k service intervals at home. I buy OEM parts to perform the major service intervals.

By doing my own oil changes, servicing would I be voiding my factory warranty?

How do others handle this? How do you keep records of oil changes and such? How do you prove this to the dealership should a problem arise?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd definitely keep sales receipts and definitely add your own "service sticker" to the door jamb or windshield. Anytime you work on your own car, you are exposing yourself to a "loophole" that could be used against you---not saying it would be, but case in point:

If your engine blows up and the dealer finds a leaky oil filter that you put on, you are toast. If he doesn't find a leak, you are probably fine, with receipts and mileage recordings.

Personally, just for me, I take my Scion to the dealer for oil changes. It's so cheap and then they are responsible. I might do my own spark plugs at 30K however.
  • jessejames2jessejames2 Member Posts: 12
    NO, all dealers do not have records to ALL services. We all can acess warranty repairs but every dealer is different as far as customer pay maintenance repairs. Every Dealers runs a different system, wether it be ADP, Reynolds and Reynolds. They all run off differents servers therefore we do not have access to maintenance history thats was done by a different dealer. Sounds like a bad dealer up there but I have doubts on your credibility after your angry post and your assumption that we all know.

To all the other warranty admins out their, i have been thinking about making a website and message boards specifically for us, to help each other out, let me know what you think and if you all would be interested.
    The forum is a good idea!
    If you are a GM guy, there is a forum attached to ServiceGM.com. Sign in there. There is a ton of good information, as well as a section for warranty admins.
    It's mostly technician-driven, but has been very helpful to me as a SA/warranty clerk.
    well i do chrysler but we also have a GM store, so i figured i would set it up for all administrators, each with their own section
    It was the Service Department Manager that TOLD me that he had access like all JEEP dealers to the 'master' computer records of all work done by a dealer on the jeep-and the first thing that popped up was the REFUSED WARRANTY claim posted by the local stealership less than 2 days earlier, after I had paid to get the jeep TOWED down to them. Also, so much for the 'road service warranty'....no go with THEM for the towing!
    I didn't make this up-this is exactly what I was told AND he showed me on his computer screen- and it showed the service work I had done at another dealership when I was trying to find a local dealer to handle routine maintenance instead of driving an hour away.
    This second dealership had a supposedly FACTORY TRAINED MECHANIC run my poor rubicon up on a lift-with the hood flipped open-and promptly FOLDED THE HOOD RIGHT OVER THE WINDSHIELD FRAME...........
    and you thing I don't have a reason to be angry at some dealerships?????
    How about the dealership mechanic that put on differential rock guards for me-used the WRONG SIZE BOLTS and never checked to see if they were seated-and I had all the fluid running down the road?
  • blacksiblacksi Member Posts: 6
    I hope some one can help me with my situation. I purchased 2006 Dodge Sprinter recently. Few days after I took delivery, I noticed that rear passenger side panel had different shade of silver than rest of the body panels.

I took the car to the dealership and Chrysler authorized dealer to repaint the car. From the get go, I told my dealer that I do not want to repaint the new car nor I can afford to be without my car for 7 or more days to repaint the car for I use the vehicle for business.

So, I called Chrysler to see if they can credit me toward my loan or credit me with services upto cost of repainting the car. I am getting no where with the request from the dealer and Chrysler. Am I asking something out of ordinary or is this feasible?

Is there anything that can be done without painting the panel?

Thanks in advance.
    If the paint shades are different then it has to repainted and blended in to match the rest of the car.

Loan credit - not an option, wont happen

Rental - They could offer you a rental (rental technically not covered by warranty) it would be a goodwill situation and up to the dealer, some will some wont.

You'll have to have it painted or just live with the color difference
  • gamediva2112gamediva2112 Member Posts: 9
    I googled this forum and love it! Being a Warranty Administrator can be lonely because no one else at the dealership quite understands what you do. I do Chrysler and Nissan, as well as whatever 3rd party service contracts we get.

One of my undying frustrations is car sales people who gloss over the warranty without explaining it and then expect us to deal with irate customers who thought everything was covered, regardless of ignored maintenance. A woman told me the other day that the reason she bought a "new" car as opposed to a "used" car was because she "didn't want to deal with all that stuff". Not a single oil change that we could figure, in nearly 3 years. If the sales folks aren't going to explain this stuff to buyers, they at least ought to administer a quick IQ test...LOL :P
    A good chunk of my time is spent helping customers understand the bells and whistles their cars come with.
    I had one this morning: somehow she'd gotten the driver info center stuck on 'Spanish' and 'metric'. I had to help her back to 'American'. Yippee.

Explaning a service contract can take hours. Most people come in saying 'I've got a bumper to bumper warranty!' I get the funsy fun of explaining the fine print. :P
  • lasunshinelasunshine Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I am a Nissan Warranty Admin with 11 years experience. I just found this message board!
    I've been a Nissan Warranty Administrator at the same dealer for 11 years. I may be looking to move to a Gmc/Buick/Pontiac dealer. Anyone with any information on the difference or what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Glad I googled warranty administrator today!
    If the GMC job doesn't pan out, I would encourage you to also look into Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge. Their warranty admin software is a DREAM compared to Nissan's. You just plug in your parts and vin and a list of possible LOPs come up. Pick and choose, try different combinations, very user friendly. Labor overlaps and other errors are instantly flagged for correction on the spot. No guess and wait, calling India, waiting again, calling Claims approval, waiting again, and getting your error rate emailed to your boss at the end of the month. Its all payable that same day. Plus Chrysler's willingness to bend on slightly out of warranty claims, diagnostic time here and there, and willingness to acknowledge known issues (high numbers of claims for the same thing over and over again) is much better than Nissan's cryptic messages, antiquated software and stubborn resistance to allow extra time, extra operations or parts (as if every job were a cookie cutter duplication of the last one). How you have put up with it for 11 years is a testament to your ability to persevere! =D
    Wow. I'll take that compliment. Yeah, it hasn't been an easy 11 years, but I've managed. I'm salivating over the ease of Chrysler. I think it's time I mail some resumes out!
  • dcarasdcaras Member Posts: 7
    Warranty question about 2004 Nissan Sentra. Took to Nissan dealer due to transmission stuck. Stuck between 1st and nuteral. Dealer took transmission apart found out the there is a shifting rod and on the end of the rod there is a pin that broke. Dealer states that is was caused from operator misuse (jamming gear into 1st). How can they determine misuse or if it was not just wear and tear or poor workmanship? 2200.00 to fix. Still under factory warranty, plus have extended warranty. Dealer will not pay due to operator misuse? Any suggestions?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Is this a manual or automatic?

As long as you have kept up with the maintenance (even if you didn't), fight it. If you're still under original warranty, the only maintenance required is oil changes and some filter changes. Most manufacturers do not require transmission service until 30k miles. Ask how something "operator misuse" could cause this pin to break. If you know an independent mechanic, talk to him/her about this failure and ask if this is misuse or a poor design.

If the dealer does not fix it, move up the chain by calling Nissan Consumer Affairs and talk to a regional manager about your situation. I think the dealership is trying to get you to cover the cost. Hold strong.
  • dcarasdcaras Member Posts: 7
    its a manual and yes I am still under original warranty. They are stating that I shoved or tried to jam it into first gear therefore causing the pin to break. Which leaves me to believe that there might have been a defect there. They have already told me to call Nissan Consumer Affairs which I am going to do today. The problem is my word against the dearlership. Also I bought the car used with a little over 30K already on it and get this I've only had the car since Aug and they had to put a new engine in it do to the cataylic converter breaking apart and pieces of metal going into the engine. Well anyway thanks for the advice.
    Call Nissan Consumer Affairs and raise hell. After they get this vehicle back together, you might want to trade it in. Nissans are very good cars and for one to have had so many issues, something is DEFINATELY wrong. Don't give up on Nissan, but you might want to give up on that particular dealer. Sounds like a transmission overhaul might be more than they can handle.
    Being the second owner, you may not have much luck on this one. You can't say how the first owner drove the car. He may have damaged the transmission and you 'finished it off', so to speak. You could take it to another dealer for a second opinion, but be prepared to pay for reassembly and diagnosis. If you can get a certified mechanic to say it's impossible for the driver to damage the pin, you'll have some backup. Good luck.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Be careful before you do to much. There are allot of parts on a manual transmission that are considered "Wear Items" and are not covered under the factory warranty. Also allot of time clip, retainers, and pins are not covered. Don't know if your situation falls into this category or not
    As far as I know most car companies only cover the clutch and flywheel until 12,000 miles. Becasue of the variations in how people drive. Now an internal issue like a reverse gear or similar item i would think should be covered