Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Driver's Ed Online - experiences?

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
A request came in to start a discussion on this subject.

Drivers education courses can now be taken online or using a self-paced book and taking the tests online. The DMV doesn't accredit the online courses, but there is quite a bit of difference between the different sites and companies regarding what they offer.

Has anyone had any dealings with any of these online courses?

Comments

• highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I think there should be some kind of state monitoring of these schools/classes.

seems to be a poor way to learn if it is just a one way learning experience..with no instructor and no feedback and no dynamic real life discussions....

sort of like getting CPR training. We have to get certified, and practice on a rubber dummy...with an instructor watching and giving advice as to the proper / improper techniques....

but there are ON-LINE CPR certification courses....now how in the world would one practice/simulate CPR with a computer ??!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    While a lot of testing can work online, I'm not sure that driver's ed would be one of them. Having motivated students helps, and as excited as my 16 year old was about getting the process of getting her license started, I don't think she would have taken an online class nearly as seriously as she had to take an in-the-classroom experience.

She started out gung-ho, and by the end of the classroom part of driver's ed, it was just "school" again. She DOES say that she learned some things in the class... and now she's seeing how those things play out on the roads!

Next step, the on the road part of the course!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    All we did in driver's ed (not online) was watch bloody videos. And occasionally we would get an anedcote or two about the teacher's driving experiences, and an explanation of the diagrams in the driver's handbook.

If that's common, they might as well put it online.
  • needhlplzneedhlplz Member Posts: 1
    hi all i need help i need to find a website that gives you free online practice written tests any one no of any???
    I found a bunch of pay sites. Here's one that seems to be off free sample questions from the different states.

http://golocalnet.net/drive/

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I dont think our schools do a good job of driver ed let alone having kids do it on line. seems crazy to me.
  • driveteachdriveteach Member Posts: 1
    Would you learn to fly a plane online....become a brain surgeon? These are skills, and make no mistake about it...driving is a skill. Do you realize that, statistically, driving is 3 times more dangerous than combat? Would you like to learn to be a soldier online?

The comments made about driver ed above are, sadly. true. Too many "instructors" use videos and books to "teach", without getting into the WHY of things. Why is there a yellow light between a red and a green? Why do we even have right-of-way laws? Why does a small increase in speed equal an algebraically larger increase in the kinetic energy of the car (kinetic energy, by the way, is what kills you!)? As students, you should INSIST that you be taught, not baby-sat, and that you want to learn to live, not drive to a grave.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    After looking at the quality of drivers the schools in my area crank out, I have decided to purchase a parent taught program accredited by the Texas DPS. It cost $80 with a cd containing many of the videos. I have gone through much of the curriculum and it looks good.

My dad was amazingly smart, though I didn't realize it at the time. In addition to the standard drivers ed and behind the wheel training, he taught me high performance driving and high speed vehicle dynamics. At the time I thought it was just too cool, but when I grew older I asked him what he was thinking! His answer showed a lot of wisdom. He told me that he was aware that I knew the laws, but he also knew my love for driving and sports cars and didn't want me to hurt myself or someone else or worse.

It is interesting to note that 35 years later I am one of very few of my peers who never has had more than a minor bumper-tap accident.
    Except Dad made sure I knew what it felt like to be in a car that was doing funny stuff on snow and ice. I got to do some of that with my daughter towards the end of winter when she finally got her license, but we'll still head out to somewhere with plenty of snow and no people this winter to work on recovering control!
  • drivereducatiodrivereducatio Member Posts: 1
    Hi if youre looking for Driver Education I can recommend www.teendrivingcourse.com Driver Education and also they have a Driver Ed Home Course Its all good
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    The only way anyone ever learns to drive is by getting behind the wheel and driving. Of course you can learn the "rules of the road" online or in a classroom or simply by studying the driver's ed manual. The written tests are reasonably simple and you don't even have to be literate to take them. If necessary they will provide someone to help you read the questions (which raises the question: If they can't read the test, then how do they read the signs? :confuse: ).

But sooner or later you've got to get behind the wheel. I don't know how many hours of practice driving are required to pass driver's ed nowadays, but you can't do that at your computer. Computers and classrooms may produce smarter drivers, but I believe what we need are SAFER drivers - and safety increases with practice.

Moreover, I think everyone should learn to drive the way I did - in a beat up old pickup truck with a three on the tree in cow pasture. AND I think everyone should have to take their road test in a vehicle with a manual transmission. The whole process is too easy for kids (and everyone else) today.
  • green5green5 Member Posts: 22
    dmvonline.com can give some practice tests and material to learn from. But they should be supplemented by the practical aspect of driving.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    She got a ticket a few months back and if she takes drivers ed, she can get it removed off her record. Does anyone else besides Texas, have this in their state ? I know Michigan doesn't. A few state politicians are trying to get rid of this loophole. :mad:

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Rocky -

I think you're talking about taking Defensive Driving online to get rid of the ticket. They're talking about online versions of DRIVERS ED (you know, that course you took in High School before you got your driver's license).

Personally, I think that Driver's Ed courses should NOT be online because the best education is from actually IN the car (I don't think the offer online PILOT training, do they?).

But I see nothing wrong, in any form, with online Defensive Driving courses. I need to take one myself for a ticket I got just last month.... :blush:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new tv show seeks bad drivers who want to receive free, unique and, yes, televised, driver training. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than December 15, 2006 with your city and state of residence and a few words about why you think you or your loved one will be a good fit for this opportunity.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Speaking of weekends in a "classroom."

"The value of the school is a little like taking karate classes; if you practice these techniques before trouble hits you'll be prepared to defend yourself when the time comes."

Driving: Free Toyota Teen Driving School
  • regijm5regijm5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any differences between the various driving schools that offer California drivers education online?
This discussion has been closed.