Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 07 Tahoe and I want to change the wiper blades does Chevy have the original ones. ? Or do I have to go to after market ones ?
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    You can get the OEM blades from ur Chevy parts dept or you can get a similar one from aftermarket like Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, etc. But those will look a little bulkier. Interestingly GM went back to the old style.
  • knorwoodknorwood Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Tahoe 2wd. It's been a great car...until now. I have this noise coming from the engine area. It sounds like when you get new or oversized tires on your car. It starts at about 20mph and gets louder the faster I go and quiter the slower I go. It doesn't make the noise in park or in Neutral while driving. ALSO if I'm driving around a curve to the right it stops but as soon as I straighten back up you can hear it again. I've had my oil changed recently and I do NOT have any engine lights on. This noise is driving my crazy....PLEASE HELP!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2010
    Hard to diagnose an airplane noise over the internet. You're going to need someone listen to it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I keep waiting for more people to link to MP3 files or YouTube videos.
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    ok thanks
    If it goes away when moving and in neutral, would seem like it was tranny or rear end related. Since it changes going around a corner then maybe a rear wheel bearing. Just a shot in the dark.
  • d1extreemd1extreem Member Posts: 9
    I'd be looking at a CV joint, it's a high-tech universal joint, located inside the black rubber boot behind each of the front wheels. It transfers power to the front wheels, while allowing them to turn as well. If that boot is cracked or torn, it's a sure giveaway of problems to come.
    An expensive, but crucial fix.
    edited June 2010
    Except for the fact that it's a 2wd, and wouldn't have CV joints up front.

It really could be many things, we could all randomly pick a different part that might sound like an airplane. Just need a mechanic to listen/drive it.
  • opcartopcart Member Posts: 1
    i have a Chevy Tahoe 2007 that i bought used.
    As soon as i took it home i could hear a whistling noise when i turn the climate control on.
    If i open a window just a little the sound goes away.
    It looks to me that its negative pressure created by the climate control and when air is entering
    the cabin it is whistling somewhere.
    Any help would be great since the dealer where i bought it already had the car for 3 different occasions and still didn't fix it.
    Make sure all of your dash vents are open. They will whistle if a couple of them are fully closed. Do you notice any change in the flow from the vents when you crack the window?
    It's probably the same thing as they fixed at 12K. Most likely it's the "intermediate shaft". My dealer replaced my wife's (2004) w/ the new design part and even tho out of warranty, they didn't charge me. Called it "customer satisfaction". I do treat them right. :)
  • tahoess2004tahoess2004 Member Posts: 9
    Have an '04 Z71 w/high mileage. Has been performing great for (6) years, perfect maintenance records. Noticed a "puffing sound" when going uphill or when the engine is under any strain. As long as you are traveling on a level grade or going slightly downhill, no sound. Asked the dealer about it on the last service and they said they couldn't hear anything. Is it possibly: fouled plug or bad plug wire?, muffler or catalytic converter going out? Just had the injectors serviced. Any suggestions?
  • blowtieblowtie Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I have a 2001 Tahoe with about 145,000 miles on it. Lately, it often idles very rough at start up and has a loud tapping noise. Coinciding with the tapping and rough idle, the oil gauge bounces severely. After several minutes, the tapping slowly subsides and the oil gauge bounce slows down relative to the noise and the engine smooths out. The noise and the gauge bounce are definitely tied together, but I am totally stumped as to how. It seems to be worse the colder the weather gets. Originally I assumed I had a sticking lifter because the engine ran so roughly and flushed the crankcase a couple of times to dissolve any buildup of varnish, etc., but that doesn't explain the gauge bounce, . . . . . does it? Any ideas?
    Stuck lifter(s), oil pump, sludge buildup. All I can think of right now.
  • blowtieblowtie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks 73shark,

I forgot to mention that I also use about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze every 1,000 miles or so. My mechanic has assured me that my water pump seal is leaking as that is very common on this engine, but there is absolutely no trace of leakage. There is absolutely no residue around or under the water pump indicating the antifreeze evaporates without being detected. I thought that all of these problems may indicate a blown head gasket or worse.
    Any ideas?
    edited June 2010
    I'd be more inclined to think ur antifreeze is either getting into the oil (most likely considering the noise & the bouncing oil gauge) or getting into combustion chamber and going out the exhaust. Antifreeze ruins bearings. :cry: Look at the underneath side of the oil fill plug and check for moisture or a gray, jelly-like substance. Sure signs of water in the oil. If so, then ur engine will need an overhaul. :sick:
  • thomt01thomt01 Member Posts: 1
    Group,
    I have a 2004 Tahoe which recently started making a vibrating sound while idling. It is especially loud when I am backing up and apply the break. Any thoughts?
  • knorwoodknorwood Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    IT'S FIXED!!!!

It was the Hub bearing on my front driver side. Thanks to all of your thoughts on the subject. I know this one was a bit hard by description only. I finally can hear myself think again.... :D
    Congrats, glad they found the problem.
  • g8trtahoeg8trtahoe Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid with 5400 miles. Last night while driving simultaneosly the service stabillitrak/brakes/traction control warning lights and warning messages came on and the brakes did not function. Car at dealer now. Anyone have any ideas as to what would have caused this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What do you mean "not function". If they didn't work, how did you ever stop the car?

Perhaps you had a bad sensor or loss of hydraulic pressure boosting. I'd certainly read the trouble codes for further diagnosis.
  • dantheman3dantheman3 Member Posts: 14
    After many strange noises, I took my 2003 to the dealer. They changed the AC compressor and its seized over after start up. Changed another one, same thing. Changed condesor and accumulator still not fixed. They contacted GM tech support and they are reccomending changing out the lines or the computer itself. I already paid for 1 compressor and told them I wont pay for anything else. Tahoe only has 68k runs perfect (except for this issue). I suggested this could be a service bulletin or recall. They have had it for 4 days. Anyone else out there with this issue.
  • 44woot4444woot44 Member Posts: 2
    My gf's 2006 Tahoe makes probably the same noise. It emanates from under the car, rear-ish, possibly passenger side. She is very worried about it but the best I can relate it to is a metallic vibration, very quickly, very fast, somewhat loud, but doesn't seem ominous. It is not a "grind" or "squeal". It seems it may be a bracket of some sort. I have had the car up and used a rubber mallet to knock this or that, including the exhaust system and everything is solid. She passed the recent state inspection.

Recently, while in a parking lot, another Tahoe pulled in the vicinity and we heard the exact same noise. I should have went to the owner and asked about it. That I heard the exact same noise from another Tahoe eases my mind on it a bit, but not my gf. It is, after all, her truck.

It is only reproducible some of the time. Very slow speeds, barely accelerating, or when coming to a stop, but is NOT brake related. It is heard when the accelerator is pressed lightly. This would make it seem some kind of metallic bracket picking up vibration underneath. It is a very distinct sound, but certainly hard to describe in type-written form!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello 44woot44,
    Have you had anyone look at the vehicle to find out what the sound is? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    The culprit was a fan clutch which became inoperative and was knocking out the compressor. Runs perfect again.
  • 44woot4444woot44 Member Posts: 2
    No, Mariah. Haven't had the vehicle checked anywhere other than state inspection service. It is such a randomly occurring noise / vibration, that a shop would have difficulty finding the culprit I believe. I can drive her truck for long or short distances and hear the noise only once.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello 44woot44,
    If the noise is a concern you want to get checked I can set up a case for you with an agent. They will require you to take it into the dealership to be diagnosed. In order to set this up I will need you to email me your contact information, VIN, current mileage, dealership and best time to contact you. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • pirateopspirateops Member Posts: 1
    44woot44, you describe the same issue we recently started experiencing with our 04 Tahoe. We hear a loud metallic vibration in short bursts, sometimes when accelerating, sometimes when decelerating, sometimes not at all - very random. It sounds like it's emanating from the rear of the vehicle.
    We took it to a Chev. dealer for diagnosis and were told it was the rear brakes and proceeded with replacement of the pads, rotors, and parking brake shoes etc. The sound did not go away and before we could return it to the dealer, the transmission went out. We just picked up our Tahoe yesterday from an independent repair shop (I do not trust the service at the Chevy dealer), running great - except . . . we still hear the intermittent metallic vibration. Needless to say, $$$$ later we're very frustrated. We now know the metallic vibration noise is NOT the brakes nor the transmission. Any clues from your experience??
  • cyoung1202cyoung1202 Member Posts: 1
    what is ghe problem if the leak is coming from the opening where the driverside axil is going in the front differential
    Bad bearing and seal.
  • tuco33tuco33 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have the same exact issue. I have a new exhaust (cat and muff), filters, fuel regulator and filter (pressure is good), plugs, wires, cap and rotor. On high rev engine gets rough and if I stay on it it trips the service light with P0300. I saw that someone sent you an email suggesting bad coil/ignition module,or bad pcm. Did this fix your problem? I have complete lost my patience with this!!!...thanks
  • tahoess2004tahoess2004 Member Posts: 9
    Just replaced my transmission, so I haven't been able to worry with anything else. Had it at the dealer's for the repair and they could never trace down the noise, so I have just learned to live with it. Thanks for asking.
    1999 Tahoe...I have a new exhaust (cat and muff), Mass Aire Flow Sensor, filters, fuel regulator and filter (pressure is good), plugs, wires, cap and rotor. On high rev engine gets rough and if I stay on it it trips the service light with P0300. If it starts to misfire and I let off , bringing down the RPM, it goes back to normal. Private mechanics, dealers have no answers. I joined this forum because quite honestly I am out of options....HELP!!!
    edited September 2010
    Possibly intake manifold leaking ?
    edited September 2010
    In addition to kiawah's good suggestion------Here's what GM says:

"Recommendation/Instructions:
    If the published misfire diagnostic does not isolate the cause, perform the following suggestions as necessary:
    Perform a fuel injector balance test for all 8 cylinders. If a fuel injector concern exists, it is possible to misfuel an entire bank of the engine, causing multiple cylinders on the same bank to misfire even though the root cause is a single fuel injector.
    Inspect O2 sensor connections on the misfiring bank for corrosion or water intrusion. If water intrusion is found on the right bank, it may be due to the AC Evaporator Condensation dripping onto the O2 sensor harness. If this condition is found, reposition and shield the harness to prevent a repeat concern and repair the connections.
    Check for excessive exhaust backpressure using the restricted exhaust diagnosis.
    Swap the Position 1 O2 sensors side to side to see if the misfires move to the other bank of the engine. If so, replace the O2 sensor.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed."
    Intake was leaking a year ago and that issue was corrected.
    O2 sensors were checked, one replaced. Fuel injectores were already checked and one replaced...no other fuel concerns at this point
    I think switching the 02 sensor side to side is a clever diagnostic that GM suggests.

Just because something was replaced doesn't mean it's any good---this assumption has tripped me up before. I don't even presume something new out of the box is automatically "good" and can be discounted.

Hard problems need a strict attitude I think--that is, very methodical, even tedious, if you will.
  • chek2chek2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Suburban and I recently began hearing a flutter like sound when I accelerate. It is similiar to the sound you would hear if you put a index card in a oscillating fan. It's not a very prominent sound when I'm driving in traffic, but when it's quiet or if I'm driving along the side of a building or in between buildings, it's a lot more noticeable. I have taken it to the repair shop, but it was noisy and hard to hear....and trying to describe it is difficult so they haven't been able to help me. I thought it might be a fuel injector or fuel system problem so I added some fuel injector cleaner, but no change. Any ideas on what could be the problem? My big girl has been good to me and I want to be good to her, and keep her running. :shades: I just need to know what to fix. :confuse: Help!
    This sounds familiar. I had a similiar sound in my 03 Tahoe. After many troubleshoots at the dealer it came down to a fan clutch. Have the dealer check you AC system to include the compressor and compressor bearings and fan clutch.
    Sounds also like an exhaust leak.
    @dantheman3...thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to ask the service tech to check those things for me.
    @Mr_Shiftright....exhaust leak? that sounds like trouble.... :surprise:
    maybe not so bad...could be just a loose bolt or clamp.
  • ronfrerichsronfrerichs Member Posts: 4
    I have had cabin leaks every winter since buying my Tahoe new in '05. Sometimes I notice it around the vents in the rear headliner. Sometimes it seems to be running down the walls in the cargo area and soaks the carpet. On first trip to dealer, they said it was a drain that got clogged. Next few trips, they can't get it to leak, so can't find the problem. Any thoughts on what else might be causing this? If it is a clogged drain, anything I can do to stop it from happening, or fix it myself?
    edited October 2010
    Assume you have a moon roof?

Is this a factory install, or aftermarket?

And/or....was anyone messing with the roof rack?
    I have a 2005 LT. The climate controls blow very warm air when the system is supposed to be turned off. If the temperature outside is anything warmer than about 50 degrees, I have to either turn the a/c on, or roll down windows to stay comfortable. I have never had a car run this warm. Dealer says it is normal and there is nothing to do to change it. Anyone else have the same experience? Was there anything you could do to fix it?
    Yes, factory moonroof. Rarely opened.
    sure sounds like a clogged sunroof drain, or in the worst case scenario, the rubber tube inside the headliner or roof trim has dislodged. It's always good to clear the sunroof drains with modestly applied compressed air, NOT a stiff wire.

Also, if there is a roof rack, you want to suspect leaking at the mounting anchors.