Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

191011121315»

Comments

• 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    What was the fuel pressure w/ the engine running?
  • msb624msb624 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem!! I have a 2007 suburban with 151,000 miles sitting at the dealer not drivable and in pieces with a price tag of +/-$4500 to replace lifters and CAM shaft ...
    this is a huge problem I have found with our Cars... This should be a recall.!!!
    I don't know what to do ..Fix it??? Get a new (USED) engine..??? Trade it in..??
    The dealer here in Texas said he will give me $10K to trade it in?
    SO FRUSTRATED!!! Please let me know if you have had any luck with recalls.
    You can get a crate engine for a lot less than $4,500 and it has a 3 yr warranty.
  • zboaterzboater Member Posts: 17
    My passenger side rear-view mirror does not return to the "saved" / auto setting. The interriror controls will adjust it and it works fine, but no matter how many times I re-set my seat/mirror driver preferences - all works and changes except the passenger mirror. Any ideas what may be causing this?
  • markj2153markj2153 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    the rattle is your front shocks, they're loose and there's a recall on the instrument cluster. I have a 2005 Tahoe and I'm a GM ASE certified mechanic.
  • ferfridayferfriday Member Posts: 6
    well... mines an LT2 and guess where it is...sitting at the mechanics and i have to put another motor in or pay $3500 and up to get this one fixed. And then Chevrolet is gonna email me from their Socialmedia area and want to know all my info before I find out this is what it is...guess who won't answer me back now. They troll this forum and act like they are gonna help you and then disappear when it comes to something like this. They need to do a mass recall. What can we do to get this started!!!! I am furious. I will NEVER buy another one of the $43000 pieces of junk. :mad:
  • offroad707offroad707 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Tahoe 5.3L Z71, Cylinder #5 was was misfiring, stuck valve, i took it apart replaced the valves and had the head cleaned, it still ran rough and the check engine light was still on, then the ABS/Parking Brake lights started coming on randomly while driving. I took it to Les Schwab to have them check it out the system and brakes are good but when they scanned it they got a bad ECM code, i brought it home, scanned it and got a P0300 code I'm also getting Catalyst Monitoring not complete, Evaporative System Monitoring not complete, Oxygen Sensor Monitoring not complete, and Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring not complete. Can a bad ECM cause all of these symptoms or are they not related and the thing is just falling apart? i'm running out of ideas and money! lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • freebirdjffreebirdjf Member Posts: 2
    I've read a lot of posts about Tahoe owners having to replace the cam shaft. I have an 07 LTZ with nearly 104,000 miles. At 99,750 I got a pat on the back from the dealer when I went in for my 100k mile service for taking such great care of the Tahoe. "Everything looks great!" they said. Less than 5k miles later I'm quoted $4,000+ to replace the cam shaft. Ridiculous. The service guy said we can't rule out oil maintenance, to which my wife replied that we regularly service the vehicle. He looked at the history and said "Yeah, I see you've taken great care of the car and gotten most of your work done here." So we ask again why this happened out of the blue and he again defaulted to "Well, we can't rule out oil maintenance." After reading the posts I am convinced this is a total sham by Chevrolet, who obviously has enough consumer data to recognize a legitimate issue. The guy said he'd check with GM to see if they can knock the price down. We will see. What gets me the most is that they are so nonchalant about it. Anyone ever get the dealer to bend on their ridiculous labor charges.
    For $4K you could get a new engine.
  • freebirdjffreebirdjf Member Posts: 2
    GM ended up covering a lot of the cost. Got it back today and paid $1,400. Still concerned that it happened and could happen again, but sure glad they ponied up. Got the work done at Stonebriar Chevrolet in Frisco...and no, I don't work for them.
  • chubbs2chubbs2 Member Posts: 1
    On a resent vacation trip in my 1999 Tahoe my Service Engine Soon light came on and I soon discovered I had lost reverse, second & forth gears on my transmission. Had the transmission replaced by dealer and was sent on my way. Approximately 650 miles down the road the Service Engine Soon light came back on and shortly after that I heard some really bad noise coming from under the hood. Had the Tahoe towed to a shop. The shop thought maybe the bolts on the torque converter or flywheel might have come loose since it had just been replaced or it could be a rod was knocking. They checked for loose bolts but said they found none. Tahoe has only 112,000 miles and was serviced properly. Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?
  • chevydaddychevydaddy Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem on my 2002 Z71. The problem only occurred when I had a full tank of gas. Ended up needing a new fuel pump to fix the problem.
  • fshoreyfshorey Member Posts: 1
    it will be the fuel injector poppets, the wierd spider feet looking things that feed the fuel to the cylinders
  • deadtahoedeadtahoe Member Posts: 1
    The exact thing happened to my 08 5.3l Tahoe. Cam issue with a thrown rod. GM
    has serious issues with this engine due to the AFM. I have owned other GM 5.3's
    with no issues. 07-08 have a quality issue which is the same years GM was having financial issues. Bye GM. Hello Toyota, now the largest car maker. GM was the largest auto maker. I wonder why GM lost #1?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    deadtahoe,
    Do you still have your Tahoe, and if so are you planning on getting your cam concern looked into? Keep us posted - we're available to you if you should need any assistance in the process of working with a dealership.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • daveportdaveport Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2004 Tahoe 2wd LT that I bought new. At about 35K miles, I noticed the same "airplane" noise at the drivers side. The dealer claimed the tires were defective and replaced all 4. At 45k miles, the sound was back, and the service technician said that the front wheel-bearing hubs needed to be replaced. Done, and the noise is gone! At 70K miles the noise is back again and I can't believe the dealer said the I needed new hubs again. These items are not cheap. I went to a different Chevy dealer and was told that these GM parts were defective from the day they were manufactured. Not good for GM.
  • indiananormindiananorm Member Posts: 2
    I have a 09 Tahoe that has started smoking blue when you first start it in the morning. Has only 85000 miles. Any ideas what the problem is???
  • indiananormindiananorm Member Posts: 2
    I am not real happy with GM. Tahoe is smoking now and just had to replace the transmission is our 06 Monte Carlo SS(only 79000 miles).
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited March 2013
    indiananorm,

While it is not a GM website and GM is not responsible for its contents, this article on the Top 5 Signs of Engine Trouble may be helpful for you.

If there is anything further that we can look into for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Regards,
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • nokobillnokobill Member Posts: 1
    Clicking-ticking, similar to the directional blinker noise. Not all the time but more then not. Please help!
  • mom2znamom2zna Member Posts: 1
    So I bought this 2009 Tahoe brand new, after having leased two new suburbans previously. I figured I was ready to settle down with this size and had loved my two Suburbans, no problems at all.

My mileage is about 50K now and in the last six months my engine light came on requiring a $600 fix at the dealership because without it, my power start wouldn't work. When i brought it in, I also advised them that my Onstar wasn't working. No blue light. I was told they could replace the unit for another $500. I can't afford that. My driver's side automatic mirror won't tilt up and down. That will cost me $400 and I can't afford that either. Finally, sometimes when I start my truck, the blinkers don't make blinking sounds and at the same time, my stereo system won't play in stereo. Turning the truck off and waiting about 15 minutes will reset that but it is a pain. They won't even give me a quote on fixing that, except that they will replace the speakers and check the connections, but don't know if that will fix it. Tonight, the rear hatch stopped opening with remote, or handle power button. Was I stupid to buy a Tahoe rather than leasing another one? Are they no longer built to last? This is a 4-year old, garaged, back and forth to work 25 miles round trip truck. We take it on family trips because it's bigger than my husband's Hyundai (a 2003 with no problems, ever ever). The warranty is up so everything starts going? I am still paying for this truck and though for sure I would be able to count on the systems to run at least through my final car payment. Is there anything that would cause all these things to just "go" in six months? I'm afraid to take it back into my dealer, I just can't afford all these repairs.
    My 2004 Tahoe LT has a dual zone aircon system. The passenger side air is always warmer than the driver side regardless of the temperature you select. The dealer says that all you have to do is turn off the engine for awhile and this will reset this condition. Once while driving on the interstate hot air started to blow out of both driver and passenger side. I got off the interstate and turned off the motor for 1/2 hr. and then started the and all was well again. Can anyone tell me what the actual problem is?
    Dave.
  • spritemanspriteman Member Posts: 25
    Is your vehicle the 4.8 or 5.3 liter model? And is it flexfuel? It probably doesn't matter but it helps when trying to look up specifics for your vehicle.

It sounds like you either have a blend door actuator failure or an iced up evaporator core causing the a/c blower to not blow into the cabin well enough.

There are blend doors for both the driver and passenger side of the vehicle - they open and close based on temperature input from the a/c controller - which blends the cold air coming from the evaporator box with outside/ambient cabin air to make the air temp you've commanded on the climate control panel.

If say the passenger side fails - whatever position it was in when it failed it will stay that way. If it was more to the outside air position then the passenger will feel mostly warm outside air in the summer. Of course in the winter the air coming from that side would be cold because the outside air is cold and the door isn't allowing any heater air to come to that side of the vehicle.

I'm having trouble finding exactly how many and where the actuators but I did a quick search on google for tahoe blend door actuator and found quite a bit of good info in the form of text, images, and video.

The other possibility might be that your evaporator drain is clogged which causes the a/c evap box to collect water in the bottom which then causes the evap core to freeze blocking any cold air from coming into the cabin. If you continue to feel cold air blowing out on the driver side when the passenger sides stops blowing cold air this is probably not your problem.

The actuators are cheaply made and fail all the time in many GM vehicles - in my 98 Buick park avenue there are 5 of them and only one is still working. Luckily for me the doors failed when they were in a good position to cool.

SM
    Thanks for the info. It seems that the dealer will be the way to go. I spoke to a different dealer about this problem and they basically described the same possible failures as you did. My Tahoe just turned 90,000 miles and aside from this actuator failure, everything works just fine.

Thanks for the info.
    Dave
  • daveinstldaveinstl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe that I have owned since new. Recently it was taken to a detail shop and on bringing it home the driver side window rolled down by itself and wouldn't go back up. We took it back and they replaced the switch on the rear door. It seems to have the same problem again. It will go down by itself occasionally and can only be raised from the rear door switch, but not all of the time. Sometimes it won't roll up, but then later it will. The switch on the front door seems to be able to lower it, but not raise it. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help that you can provide.
  • mzc2mzc2 Member Posts: 2
    2004 Tahoe 160,000 miles, well maintained. Started hesitating as if not getting enough fuel while traveling across country. Stopped at autozone, no codes found. Gas treatment and changed fuel pump relay (looked burnt). Continued without a problem for 600 miles. Finally stalled, went completely dead. Towed to 1st dealer who charged us 1100$ for new fuel pump. Stalled in parking lot. Techs ran all the checks, test drove. Stated it was computer recharging. Believed them and left. Went 107 miles, stalled again, same problem. Dealer #2 says air flow sensor $550. NOPE. Stalled on test drive. NOW ECM need replacing. Just picked up. Another $1100. Made it 70 miles before stalling again. Now stranded on side of road.

I've always always had Chevys. But I am convinced they don't know their product. If the computer can't tell them what's wrong, they can't figure it out and just start replacing things while I hemorrhage cash.

Ideas?
    Can you hear the fuel pump run up when you turn the key to the "Run" position w/o starting? If so, then you need to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the next time it stalls. Harbor Freight carries them. Also check the fuel pump relay.
  • mzc2mzc2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. Yes. Can hear fuel pump priming. Service tech at 1st dealer said pressures were ok--after replacing pump. Car wont start now. Need to get trailer to drag home. Already replaced relay
  • aucastleberryaucastleberry Member Posts: 3
    So disgusted with my new Tahoe. I do not have 8,000 miles on it and it will drive OK for 5 mins then will not accelerate, sputters when I hit the gas. It feels like it will just stop. I barely got it home. What in the world would cause this? I have the 5.3 engine. I am afraid it will not make it to the dealer without stopping and leaving me on the side of the road. It is under warranty for sure, but I hate to see it start staying at the dealer and not in my driveway.
    Forgot to add I already checked the gas cap, etc. It just stutters when I hit the gas going up a hill, etc. Feels like it will stall out. Slows down, makes a loud noise from underneath when this happens, but nothing is falling out.
    Could be the fuel pump going Tango Uniform. But it could be a myriad of other things. I'd get it to the dealer soon.
    The Tahoe left me stranded. Fuel pump failed. Can't believe I had less than 8000 miles and fuel pump failed. The dealer it was towed too was so rude. Really need to watch the fuel pumps in these vehicles.
    Try not to run the tank below 1/4 as the fuel keeps the pump motor cool.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Have to wonder if something else is going on. It's hard to "fill-up" a gas tank (mine's a 20 gallon tank and it's rare that I can get 18 gallons in, even after the low fuel light has been on a while).
  • suburban1996suburban1996 Member Posts: 2
    o2 sensor was our problem.. dealership even replaced transmission thinking that was the problem.. new fuel pump etc.. Once we replaced the o2 sensor never had a problem.