Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Strange I haven't ever seen a barebones Ridgeline over $28250 here. They are now discounted to 24k. Toyota always gouges whenever possible. Ever heard of the Toyota Prius?

The price of the Ridgeline started too high, but the Ridgeline RTS at 25.5 - 26.5k is a bargain when compared to a Tacoma Crew Cab SR5 4 wheel drive comparably equipped at $27-28k.

Toyota is taking people to the cleaners every day with an Extra Cab 2wd 4cylinder SR5 manual transmission priced at $20k. Others price their comparable trucks at $17k (see Nissan) or you can get full size US models with Auto and V8 for just over $20k.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Someone broke down the number of Tacomas being sold with the CC/short bed and 4X4 configuration a while back. The figures more or less matched what Honda is selling for the Ridgeline. So, comparably equipped, the Ridgeline is doing fine. The people who want all that stuff are willing to pay for it.

The fact that Toyota sells several other variants is how they gain all those extra sales. And that's why the Ridgeline will probably never be a volume seller.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    Interesting...

Locally, it is hard to find a non-4x4 style (4x4 or Pre-runner) Tacoma at the dealer.

Wayne
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I would say that someone was smoking something when they did your survey, but maybe things are different in other parts of the country. I have seen 5 times as many black 4X4 TRD Off road double cab (is that what you mean by CC) shortbeds with hitches installed driving in this area then all of the Ridgeline models combined. It may very well be that they are not marketed as well here for some reason. I saw the second Ridgeline since the first of August on the road yesterday. It also is probably a reflection of the high prices in this area. As much as I think that the Ridgeline is an ugly duckling, if they lower the price to the mid to upper 20's where the Tacomas are, they will find them rolling off the showroom floor in unbelievable numbers. Honda has built a reputation with the Accord and Civic, just like Toyota has with the Tercel, Camry and basic truck, that will attract buyers just for the name. I am guilty as any. When I looked for a new truck I shopped all over, but only at Toyota dealers (the pickins were thin to put it bluntly. If you missed the truck delivering them, they were taken. I loved my 96 Tacoma (my first Toy) and my 02 Tundra was so far superior to the previous 20+ vehicles I have owned, that I did not even consider anything but Toyota. I have met Honda owners that feel the same, and quite rightfully so. Had I known the Ridgeline even existed (poor marketing) and had the price been more comparable, I may have crossed over to the dark side myself. Maybe!
    Trucks and SUVs are like that. Here in north Alabama, I would say 90% of pickups and SUVs are 2WD. Just one state north in the mountains of east Tennessee, it is probably just the opposite about 90% 4WD.

If the Ridgeline had a 2WD (rear), the truck would sell much better here. The Pilot is a perfect example. Just about all the Pilots on my dealer's lot are now 2WD.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Toyota always gouges whenever possible. Ever heard of the Toyota Prius? "

ALL car dealers do that with hot cars, Toyota dealers don't exactly own the procedure. Any car dealership will attempt to sell every car at whatever price the market will bear. Markups can even be regional. What flys off lots in NorCal or Boston won't move in Dallas.

Remember the original Accord with the 12-18 month backlog? How about the Mazda Miata? Plymouth Prowler? Then there were the first "new" Mini Coopers... Subaru WRX... Naw... none of those were ever marked up when first released... :surprise:

On the flip side there were the Lincoln Blackwood, Pontiac Aztek, and Subaru Baja... :D
    Where in north Alabama are you from?

(I lived for years in Hunstville)

Wayne
    Huntsville it is. I have started to see many more Ridgelines on the road here. The local dealer has about 5 or 6 on the lot now. A two wheel drive version would sell even better here with a lighter curb weight, better fuel economy, and a lower price.
    Interesting the number of times one bumps into someone who lives where you used to live...

You know, the first new 4x4 I ever bought for myself, I bought only a few weeks before the big blizzard in early 1993.

It stayed parked for two days. I learned to drive in upstate New York, but most folks there didn't. ;)

Wayne
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    My wife and I are close to buying a Tacoma, however, my wife thinks that being too high above ground the truck is liable to turn over easily. We are both senior citizen and she is little concerned, and I'm fine with it. My question: Is this the new fashion/style for all pickup trucks or is't just Toyota. We live in a tiny town and Toyota is just about the only thing around, also, is there any issue of worrying that the truck could easily turn over. Your detailed answer is very much appreciated.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    The Tacoma is one fine truck, however it sits very high of the ground, and it's older models tipped during the rollover test. According to www.crashtest.com, the 04 Tacomas have a 19% chance of rolling over. I'm extremely suspicious why no rollover test has come out of the 05 Tacoma models, I hope it doesn't tip over just like the 04's.

I have always admired Toyotas reliability, however the company is expanding by leaps and bounds and I always believe quality control would never be the same.I have personally witness an old Toyota Corona breaching 750,000 kms, but was disappointed when an 04 Camry clocking in at 19,000 miles in arbitration because of tranny metal grating problems which no delearship can repair. ALTHOUGH THIS MAY BE AN ISOLATED CASE, PRIUS RECALLS HAVE REINFORCED MY SUSPICION THAT TOYOTA THE GIANT COMPANY AINT AS RELIABLE AS WHEN IT WAS PRODUCING LESS CARS AND OWNED THE BENCHMARK FOR QUALITY CONTROL.

Finally, let me say I'm bias to Hondas because I like their fair treatment to all buyers by making almost all the safety features for every car model they sell available on the strip and top of the line models. Toyota on the other hand will force you to buy the top of the line models if you want the safer model.The V4 Tacoma for instance doesn't come with side and curtain airbags, and it's difficult to get a V6 Tacoma (in Maryland)with the Side and Curtain airbags.SIMPLY PUT TOYOTA COSTUMERS WITH LESSER MONEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A SAFE VEHICLE COMPARED TO MONEYED BUYERS.

As a healthcare personnel in the operating room , I would recommend you get the one with side and curtain airbags if you insist on the Tacoma, and that would be the top of the line models. I've seen enough accidents to last a lifetime and those side and curtain airbags are really life and limb saving and well worth it.

Before I forget, the Ridgeline even on their cheapest models have identical safety features with the more expensive Ridgelines. I'ts got a 5 (the highest) crastest rating front and side. I'ts rollover percentage is 14% (the best among trucks, compare that of a Minivan the Toyota Sienna is 15%.For details check www.crashtest.com. :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Ridgeline has a lower center of gravity due to its being a unibody chassis. The Tacoma is a body on frame truck, which puts its weight up higher in the air, making its center of gravity higher and likelihood of rolling over higher.
  • goondagoonda Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

I spent a LOT of time debating between the Tacoma and the Ridge. I have owned 3 Hondas, and our family has nothing but Hondas and BMWs. I love Hondas, and know the owners of the Honda & BMW dealerships I buy from. I searched the web for every single comparison I could find - including comments on these forums. I registered and asked questions on the Ridgeline owner's club, and Toyota Nation.

I drove the heck out of both - I went to several Toyota and Honda dealers, and drove several models. I must say that after all my research and personal experience with vehicles from these companies, I knew I could not go wrong with either. I liked the ride on both. The Ridgeline was a bit smoother - but not incredibly more. The Ridgeline had a nicer interior (the leather, and nice dark finish), but the Toyota interior was very "perfect" in the location of controls, etc. Both have lots of cup holders, but the Honda has a few more cubbies. The Honda has a nice storage space created by the "pop up" back seat (the Toyota's just folds down, so you can store stuff on top - still pretty roomy). Both felt SOLID. As far as "rollovers", I drove both pretty hard. I took freeway onramps at speeds close to 50mph or more. The Honda sat nice and firm, with little roll. I expected the Toyota to experience some body roll, but I was astonished at how flat it sat!

For me, I knew both vehicles were excellent, and icons of the best of the 2 best automaker's technology and skill. What it came down to for me was use. I knew both would comfortably seat 4 adults on a road-trip. Being in the Canadian Rockies, I know I'll be going hiking, taking pics, and fishing, on some mountain trails. I also know that I would use at least a 6 ft box. This made my decision easier (but by no means easy). I chose the Tacoma. It does anything the Ridge does (minus the rear trunk/swing gate), has the same quality, but also does what I need it to do - and has a long track record of being an indestructable "tough" little (not so little any more) truck, on and off the road. I can't wait to take this black TRD crew cab offroading in Bragg Creek next week!

Don't worry about "rollovers". If I wanted to be an idiot driver, I could roll my 2" lowered Acura EL, or my BMW 3 coupe... I drove my Taco "briskly" and it didn't flinch. The Ridge is a great looking truck too. I was smitten by it when I first drove it. People say, "it's new/not proven", but remember - it's a Honda. Honda hasn't made a lemon in forever. Even comparing fuel economy - both are almost exactly the same. :) Either way, you win. Just pick what you need.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    I agree with you. The hardest thing for me to pick the Tacoma double cab was I feel alitte cramped especially the back seats. I was touching the front seats and pretty bent when seating in the rear seats compared to the Ridge. The Ridge rear seats had plenty of room for adults compared to the Tacoma, I see for 0-15 yrs olds. I like the ground clearance on the Tacoma and skid plates.
  • silversvtsilversvt Member Posts: 7
    I think that I really want a 2007 Tundra. However I need something to drive soon. This will be my first foreign truck. The Tacoma and the Ridgeline are at the top of my list (since new Tundra is not out yet). I have not driven either of them yet. I am already leaning towards the ridgeline though. I wonder about two things with the ridgeline.

Now that the 1000 dealer cash is gone, will it be back soon? I would hate to think that I have to pay 1000 more than if I bought one 4 days ago. Second I worry about the resale value of the ridgline. I know Honda's resale is good with their cars, but this is their first truck. It has been speculated that it is overpriced and I know they have been selling for below invoice.

Does this mean that there will be a quicker rate of depreciation and possibly lower resale value than that of the Tacoma? I may want to dump it in 18 -24 months and get a new tundra. I worry about resale value. This is the primary reason that I have finally decided to go Japanese.

I would appreciate a response from someone with knowledge on these subjects.

Thank You,
    SilverSVT

P.S. My last truck was a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning. I loved it.
    Finally, let me say I'm bias to Hondas because I like their fair treatment to all buyers by making almost all the safety features for every car model they sell available on the strip and top of the line models. Toyota on the other hand will force you to buy the top of the line models if you want the safer model.The V4 Tacoma for instance doesn't come with side and curtain airbags, and it's difficult to get a V6 Tacoma (in Maryland)with the Side and Curtain airbags.SIMPLY PUT TOYOTA COSTUMERS WITH LESSER MONEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A SAFE VEHICLE COMPARED TO MONEYED BUYERS

But then again the base v4 is about 13K less than the "safe" Hondas. It is simply a matter of deciding how much the buyers are going to want to spend. Pricing them lower and allowing the customer to decide how much safety he wants is what meets Toyota's target. Honda decided to price considerably higher and not leave the buyer the oportunity to choose. Guess that says that Honda thinks their customer is too stupid to make their own choice.
    I think that I really want a 2007 Tundra. However I need something to drive soon. This will be my first foreign truck. The Tacoma and the Ridgeline are at the top of my list (since new Tundra is not out yet). I have not driven either of them yet. I am already leaning towards the ridgeline though. I wonder about two things with the ridgeline.

Now that the 1000 dealer cash is gone, will it be back soon? I would hate to think that I have to pay 1000 more than if I bought one 4 days ago. Second I worry about the resale value of the ridgline. I know Honda's resale is good with their cars, but this is their first truck. It has been speculated that it is overpriced and I know they have been selling for below invoice.

Does this mean that there will be a quicker rate of depreciation and possibly lower resale value than that of the Tacoma? I may want to dump it in 18 -24 months and get a new tundra. I worry about resale value. This is the primary reason that I have finally decided to go Japanese.

Up here in the Northwest, the same Ridgeline that was selling for 34K when I bought my Tacoma in August of last year is now selling for 26K or less in the 06 model. Take a wild guess of what that will do to resale prices. The same Taco is still above 28K. I just checked Kelly Blue Book, which shows I lost $1400 on mine for private party value. Think it may retain it's value quite well.
    Guess that says that Honda thinks their customer is too stupid to make their own choice.
    -------------

Guess what, a similarly priced baseline any Honda vehicle would still have more safety features than any Toyota.Toyota will only match those safety features for more dough.DON'T PLAY ME BY USING AN APPLES TO ORANGES MATCHING, PLAY FAIR AND LET'S DO AN APPLES TO APPLES COMPARISON.

Guess what, everybody needs health insurance, a lot of people skimp on those few dollars because they think they don't need it. Honda kind of obligates you to get the health insurance WITH MINIMUM MARKUP because you are gonna need it one day.While you think Honda treats it's costumers as stupid, I see it as taking care of them by making some decisions for them especially when it involves life and limb.

HAVE YOU EVER COMPARED PRICEWISE, FEATURE FOR FEATURE A SIMILARLY EQUIPPED RIDGELINE/TACOMA, OR CAMRY/ACCORD? HANDS DOWN, HONDA WINS, YOUR LESS SAFER TOYOTA MAY EVEN COME OUT MORE EXPENSIVE AFTER A TON OF OBLIGATORY ACCESORIES ARE FACTORED IN.I knew that Toyota con game very well because I was it's victim, I bought an 03 Rav4 because it was advertised cheaper than the CRV. Guess what, when everything was added up, I overpaid around $590 more on the Rav compared to similarly featured CRV.I got rid of that RAV4 coz of it's lack of safety features, sideairbags specifically, and it was only rated 3 stars for side crashtest.

GUESS WHAT,after testing the waters of the truck market, I believe the Ridgeline will come up with more configurations to be more competetive in the market.The Ridgeline was configured as such to appeal to the most number of buyers, minimum Honda investment,and less lost to Honda if it would tank in the marketplace.

Take the Pilot for example, it now comes with 2wd only mode,i'ts a tad bit cheaper now.The Civic SI will come next year with 4 doors.The Ridge is also slated to get a V8 in the next few years.Honda is a very cautious company, it won't join the fray without testing it first.

By the way, try to build a Tacoma by matching everything found in a BASE Ridgeline RTS.GOOD LUCK COZ IT WILL CERTAINLY LEAD YOU TO A TACOMA COMMANDING A PREMIUM PRICE, and lets see if that 13K deception of yours would hold water.

Apples to apples comparison please, don't deceive anyone by mentioning a 13k difference when you are comparing infact Donald duck and Donald trump. :shades:
    Guess what, a similarly priced baseline any Honda vehicle would still have more safety features than any Toyota

The baseline Ridgeline is 30K, while the base Tacoma is 18K. That is apples and oranges.

GUESS WHAT,after testing the waters of the truck market, I believe the Ridgeline will come up with more configurations to be more competetive in the market

When I went looking, Honda had a total of three configs to choose from. I don't recall seeing a 4 cyl option, 2 wheel drive or 6 speed manual option. All they had was over priced basic, overpriced mid level, and fully decked out jacked up priced car with a bed.

Apples to apples comparison please, don't deceive anyone by mentioning a 13k difference when you are comparing infact Donald duck and Donald trump.

I am not the one that compared the base Toy to the base Honda. I just mentioned that the base Toy has less gagets and 13K less in price. That has nothing to do with Donald Duck, but everything to do with his rich uncle Louis who was a miser.
    When I went looking, Honda had a total of three configs to choose from. I don't recall seeing a 4 cyl option, 2 wheel drive or 6 speed manual option. All they had was over priced basic, overpriced mid level, and fully decked out jacked up priced car with a bed.
    --------------------------

Sheesh, do I have to repeat myself again.

1. Honda is on it's first year of it's truck production, several configurations would cost more in terms of investments and a big loss if the Ridge is unaccepted in the market.

2. It ain't right to compare Donald duck and Donald trump.

Does Toyota have these many 2006 configurations when they made their first truck? Just curious.
    ------------------------------

I am not the one that compared the base Toy to the base Honda. I just mentioned that the base Toy has less gagets and 13K less in price. That has nothing to do with Donald Duck, but everything to do with his rich uncle Louis who was a miser

Yes you did imply that Honda is the more expensive, unaafordable vehicle compared to Toyota.However bang for the buck, the Ridge is still reasonable, straightforwardly priced and accesorized.At 50,000 units sold only first and foremost to the Honda faithfuls, it does not need to copy the dizzying and deceiving array of Tacoma configurations.Makes business sense to take calculated risk, rather than get to the fray both guns blazing then run out of ammo.

FYI. HONDA HAS THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF AUTOSALES INCREASE FOR 2005, MAYBE THEIR CAUTIOUS BUSINESS APPROACH WORKS WELL FOR ME AND THE OTHER 50,000 RIDGELINE OWNERS, BUT NOT FOR HONDA HATERS.
    Up here in the Northwest, the same Ridgeline that was selling for 34K when I bought my Tacoma in August of last year is now selling for 26K or less in the 06 model. Take a wild guess of what that will do to resale prices. The same Taco is still above 28K. I just checked Kelly Blue Book, which shows I lost $1400 on mine for private party value. Think it may retain it's value quite well.

Yes I know that toyotas hold their value well. However I believe Hondas do to. I am not loyal to either brand. What I really want to know is now that prices have stabilized for the Ridgline for about 27K (give or take), will it retain its value like that of a traditional Honda? I'm going to drive both Ridge and Tacoma first.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I would have to spend about $31k to get a 4 door tacoma 4x4 with side airbags, here in SoCal, if I could find one that is. You pretty much have to buy a completely optioned out tacoma with multiple packages to get the side airbags. The Ridgelines however all come with side airbags, even the $25k rt. Toyota is behind the curve on side airbags (a must for my next vehicle), I believe. I hope toyota catches up on this in their 07 models.
  • joblowjoblow Member Posts: 11
    Hmmmmmmm,I own a Honda and maybe I will get another someday,but it most certainly won't be the Ridgeline...that is one ugly son of a *****! Its one thing that its got to be a good mechanical vehicle but it also has to have some appeal,its got to look good,but that thing is one of the ugliest looking vehicles I have ever seen in a long time,reminds me of something out of one of those bad Mad Max movies!
    I would have to spend about $31k to get a 4 door tacoma 4x4 with side airbags, here in SoCal, if I could find one that is. You pretty much have to buy a completely optioned out tacoma with multiple packages to get the side airbags. The Ridgelines however all come with side airbags, even the $25k rt. Toyota is behind the curve on side airbags (a must for my next vehicle), I believe. I hope toyota catches up on this in their 07 models.

Guess it is a regional deal. Up in the NW the 4X4 Toyota is offered with SR5, TRD O/R and TRD Sport. No option of muliple "packages". Of course you can still get three different cab configs as well as different engines. Also, my TRD O/R was $28K with the side bags compared to $31K (or $32 as you posted on the other post). And, the RT was $32 compared to the $25K you quoted.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    By multiple packages I mean an SR5 package and the TRD off road (or the sport) package. I have never seen a tacoma on a lot here with side airbags that was anything but completely decked out. For instance, go to Longo Toyota's (HUGE dealer) website and see if they even have a 4 door 4x4 Taco with side airbags on the lot. If they do, it'll sticker at about $32k, and probably sell for not much less since they are so rare. Regarding the Ridgeline, I see RTs advertised in the paper every weekend at multiple dealerships for $25.6 to 25.8k. The Ridgeline forum has people reporting buying them for as low as $24.7k. Heck, you can buy an RTL (leather etc.) for $28,7xx per ads in the paper every weekend in LA and San Diego. An RTS goes for half way between the two. If people where you are are paying $32k for a Ridgeline RT -- which is the base package, they are getting ripped off. (ps, thanks for pointing out my inconsistency between $31 and 32.)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    There is no such thing as a "V-4" engine in today's production cars. They are inline-4s. If you go shopping and tell the dealer you want a V-4, they are liable to take you for a financial ride. Be aware (say: inline four). :)
  • lijuicelijuice Member Posts: 3
    The base model goes for about 25-26k. i have the rts model and its by far the best mid-size truck i have ever driven from foreign to american inside and out. ever manufacturer has its problems, but honda is still up there. i drove the toyota's and i'll still take my honda any day. plus how can you beat having a trunk in the rear bed, lets see if toyota steals that idea?
  • lijuicelijuice Member Posts: 3
    i didnt like the ridgeline at first, but after looking at it a few times i bought one. i drove ford's(rangers,150's, etc.,chevy's, gmc's and dodge)they have no comparison to the honda. a way better resale value plus american is junk.
    "plus how can you beat having a trunk in the rear bed, lets see if toyota steals that idea?"

How do you change a flat, or get something else you need out of the trunk with a load in the bed? :surprise:

I test drove an RL as well. It's very nice but didn't fit my needs. I didn't want a quad cab truck, and I wanted a minimum of 6 feet of bed with the gate closed.

Folks have different wants and needs...

Be careful with the smug, or you'll become the subject of a South Park episode. :P
    How do you change a flat, or get something else you need out of the trunk with a load in the bed?

Simple, don't use it like a truck. I asked the dealer the same question. He said that 95% of people buying them never put anything in the bed. Why buy a truck? I can only imagine the look on the driver's face when he has a pile of dirt in the bed and the tire goes flat on the highway. I remember a few times that we had to empty out the rear of our wagon to get at the spare, but it was bagged stuff like groceries that didn't cause many problems. Of course you can get a subscription to triple A to go with your truck. That way it is someone else's problem. Or you could jack up the truck and walk to the repair shop to get the tire fixed (or is the jack in the trunk too). I think that trucks with trunks is a fad that will go away, but I thought the same about cv joints on trucks. After alot of mods, they became the standard. Go figure!
  • fmontanafmontana Member Posts: 3
    "How do you change a flat, or get something else you need out of the trunk with a load in the bed?"

To change a flat it is simple. Before you load the bed of the truck, remove the spare tire and mount it in the bed in the provided mounting holes. You have to think ahead obviously. While you are doing that you can move any items in the trunk you might need to the area behind the front seats.

Simple.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    He said that 95% of people buying them never put anything in the bed.

........which is just like the rest of the truck buying population. Stop pretending even most truck buyers use their trucks. I live in the heart of truck country and seldom see anything in the bed of that full size domestic truck that wouldn't fit In my Fit just as easily.

sighting of the day: some woman hauling only a baby stroller in a HD Ford 250 turbo diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think my Fit could have done that and got 33 mpg doing it as well.

America, gotta love it, and super size it as well.

You want to haul gravel? The lanscape people will deliver it for practically free. I wouldn't dirty and ding my F250 if I had one with that stuff.

Want to haul thousands of pounds of 4x8 anything? Guess what? Professional builders just have the supplier deliver it to the building sight.

I had some contractors at my house the other day and they flipped over my Ridgeline. Especially the tail gate and trunk. They looooved it. They couldn't believe how cool it was. Just goes to show ya, people that really use truck appreciate the ridgeline greatly.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Silly, but relevant.

I was talking trucks with my neighbor, who owns a big Silverado (dunno which specific model). He's had a hard tonneau on for the 4 years I've lived there. I was telling him about the trunk under the Ridgeline's bed and he just couldn't picture it.

He goes to open the tonneau so I can point out exactly where the trunk would be, how big it is, etc. But he can't remember how to open it. Best I can figure, nothing has touched the Silverado's bed in years. :sick:
    "had some contractors at my house the other day and they flipped over my Ridgeline. Especially the tail gate and trunk. They looooved it. They couldn't believe how cool it was. Just goes to show ya, people that really use truck appreciate the ridgeline greatly."

Great!

I'm also a contractor, and it didn't float my boat... :D
    So I told you that I really wanted a 2007 Tundra. But since they don't make them yet, I was trying to decide between the Tacoma and the Ridgeline.

I researched each truck. I wanted leather and I now live in San Diego. (If I still lived in Oklahoma I could order a Taco with leather). I drove each truck and was not overly impressed with either one. My last truck was a 2002 Ford Lightning and every other truck just feels slugish compared to it.

I wanted 4 doors, rear seat leg room, leather, and good resale value. The slow sales of the ridgeline worried me a bit, but I thought that the rear seat leg room in the Taco was Unacceptable. I even like the styling of the Taco a bit more. I went with the Ridgeline thinking it would be a good compromise.

I had negotiated a deal of $27,600 (in mid April)for Silver RTL no moonroof. I told the salesman that on average I like to get a different vehicle every 18-24 months. He mentioned that I could get a 24 month lease. I went with the lease. My payments are almost exactly what they would have been if I bought the truck. But I do not have to worry about resale. I,ll just give it back to them in 24 months, or trade early for a new tundra.

Suprise, Suprise. I love my Ridgeline more and more with each day. For somone that was not impressed with his first drive, I am now quite taken with it. I actually enjoy driving it now. I open all 5 power windows and enjoy the cool San Diego Breeze. It is a real attention-getter as well. Everyone wants to see the Trunk and the two-way opening talegate. I might even regret having to give it up here in 2 years.

Silver SVT
    I'm also a contractor, and it didn't float my boat...

It's not supposed to float your boat. It's supposed to tow it.
    I might even regret having to give it up here in 2 years.

Silver SVT

Nah, just trade it in on the 4.0 litre, 300hp Ridgeline turbo diesel with cylinder deactivation. :D

...just trying to throw out some ideas to Honda here. They are working on a V6 diesel though. It will be interesting to see the specs on it.
    ........which is just like the rest of the truck buying population. Stop pretending even most truck buyers use their trucks. I live in the heart of truck country and seldom see anything in the bed of that full size domestic truck that wouldn't fit In my Fit just as easily

Truck country is down on the farm where the truck is used for what it was designed. You must be in wannabe truck country. The Ridge might work well as a commuter in the suburbs, but I will take a Toy or Fronty when I want to haul a load of feed home from the mill or a load of barbed wire and posts to the pasture. Would get tired of moving the tire on a daily basis. Plus triple A hates coming out to the farm.

You want to haul gravel? The lanscape people will deliver it for practically free. I wouldn't dirty and ding my F250 if I had one with that stuff.
    That is why they make bedliners. I didn't buy a truck so I could pay someone else to haul my stuff. Sure, if I am building a house, they can bring the materials out.

sighting of the day: some woman hauling only a baby stroller in a HD Ford 250 turbo diesel.
    Maybe she has a big camper in the yard and it is not cost effective to have 2 vehicles. I don't have my truck loaded all the time either, but when I need it, it is there.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Can't fake the four letter words either... not allowed!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • tacoking88tacoking88 Member Posts: 1
    Like any major purchase (or even small for some) one should research all available data. Also, one should outline the goals, needs, wants and desires of their purchase. Major automotive magazines, Consumer Reports, test drives, appeal, MPG, resale, reliability; these are some of the major variables/factors used in determining the worth of a vehicle purchase. What I tend to see on these blogs is some individuals take just one of these factors or maybe a couple and ride that to the ground when debating or making accusations. I can't debate with someone whether the Tacoma is better looking that a Ridgeline or not (though, to me, it seems pretty cut and dry) but I can talk gas mileage, reliability, resale, road tests, etc. I think you would be very, very alone trying to argue that the Tacoma is going to get beat overall in a ratings review competition (and I am talking about something objective by 3rd party evaluators). Maybe the Ridgeline is a very good truck however, that would be a risk as Honda is so new to the truck game. Toyota is a seasoned and leading veteran. Reliability is AVERAGE for the Ridgeline. Dealers can't seem to give them away (I am speaking from personal experience; as I was leaving the dealer just kept lowering, and lowering, and lowering the price to keep me from exiting). My point is; it is common knowledge amongst a somewhat elite core group of people to NEVER EVER buy a version 1.0 of ANYTHING. Whether it be software, mp3 players, tv's, or vehicles. Let them work the bugs out THEN make your purchase after the data comes back. Version 1.X is always the smart buy.
    Yes, the Ridgeline is new and definitely not the most attractive vehicle but you shouldn't argue that it is better than the Tacoma because most of the MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in and it definitely points to the Tacoma. Just say you like it because of what it has and it's different not better.
    most of the MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in

You are so right about that.

Honda Ridgeline awards

-Motor Trend truck of the year 2006
    -North American Truck of the year 2006
    -Detroit News truck of the year 2006
    -Consumer Reports top rated truck
    -JD Power & Associates 2005 APEAL award for the Honda Ridgeline
    -Autobytel 2006 Editors' Choice Award: Truck of the year 2006
    -Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Best New Pickup 2006
    -On Wheels Incorporated: Ridgeline 2006 Urban Wheel Award for the Urban Truck of the Year
    -Ridgeline wins Strategic Vision's coveted "Most Delightful" compact pickup award.
    -best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    -first-ever 4-door pickup to earn a 5-star safety rating for both front and side impact crash test performance from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
    -Society of Plastic Engineers 2005 Grand Award (composite inbed trunk)
    -Car And Driver Rates Honda Ridgeline #1 Pickup.
    - AutoWeek Editors' Choice Award as the 'Most Significant' new vehicle in the show
    -Maxim Truck Of The Year 2006
    -Autoweb.com top ten tailgater

The MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in and it definitely points to the Ridgeline. Just say you like the Tacoma because of what it has and it's different not better.

I've driven the Ridgeline going on 2 years off road, hauling etc., and it is one excellent truck. The only area the Tacoma will edge out the Ridgeline is off road because it has more clearence. For on road very bad winter conditions, the Ridgeline can't be beat.
  • hondacomhondacom Member Posts: 1
    The Ridgeline and Tacoma are really in a different class and size. The ridgeline has a full size interior while the Tacoma is mini truck size.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I think that the Ridgeline is a wonderful truck, albeit a tad expensive. But, people should not compare off-roading abilities with the Taco. These two trucks are very, very different animals, and the Tacoma is a true off-roader.
  • bodybuiltbrockbodybuiltbrock Member Posts: 13
    Hondas are not going for anywhere close to sticker price. The last thing I remember hearing was a $1,500 rebate, that right guys?
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    As of March 1 ,2007 the dealer cash has been raised another $ 500.00 to $ 2000.00 now. Now seems to be a good time to buy a Ridgeline. I bought my ridgeline RTX last month, 1000 miles lovin every minute
  • roaddog2roaddog2 Member Posts: 13
    Since this is a comparison, here's a short list of the must have stuff my Ridge gives me that the Tacoma wouldn't:

leather, heated front seats, power driver seat, dual zone auto climate control, heated windshield glass at wiper rest point (very important where I live), traction control, Vehicle stability assist, air bags and air curtains all around, sub-woofer, power rear sliding window (a must for crew cabs), brake assist, full width bed for laying plywood and drywall flat, power sunroof, VTM-4 (call it AWD if you want),

The tacoma offers stuff that the R-line doesn't but I don't miss those. And that goes for the bed length. At 6' the Tacoma is 18" longer than the Ridge which makes it a pain to maneuver and you can't properly load plywood or drywall without modifications.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Serious question. Compare the pilot to the ridgeline for your needs excluding the extra ease of loading/unloading the sheet material,thanks.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    So how big do you think the Diesel will be? I vote for 3.0 liters. What do you think?
  • toytruck1toytruck1 Member Posts: 5
    I traded my 2006 Tacoma 2wd DblCab Off Road for a 2007 Ridgeline. I was worried regarding some of the "leaking" posts along with other problems (struts), but after hanging around the Tacoma forum, I know that ALL vehicles have issues, including my Tacoma. I decided to go for it. I recouped within $500 of price paid new for the Taco, and RL's being soft, $5,000 off the Honda. I know I'll have to keep this or face losing more $$, but I LOVE this vehicle. A trunk, dual climate control, power seat, decent stereo, wheel controls and I'm a happy camper. A lot of vehicle for 26K.

Mileage is within 1mpg of the Tacoma. Handling is far better although I am less inclined to "toss" this vehicle (4500# vs 4000#) around like I did the Toyota. Tacoma is more of the "sports car" between the two, but the ride was way bouncier. Room inside the Ridgeline is comparable to my 02 Ram QuadCab, but maneuvering is far easier.

I shall have my hitch and wiring in in about 2 weeks, so the next thing to report will be the towing behavior. From what I've read from others, the RL is a great tow vehicle. Honda should be applauded for taking this direction--a Hondamino.
  • felixdacat13felixdacat13 Member Posts: 25
    I'm looking to pick up a truck in December, so i've begun the process of test driving.
    In the past week, I have driven a Tacoma, a Frontier, a Explorer Sport-Trac, and today, I drove a Ridgeline.
    First of all, the Ridgeline is easily the best all around vehicle. The ride, the interior looks, the features, the noise level are all superior then the other trucks. Now the question is whether its worth the extra 3-5K.
    Before I began all the test drives, I would have bet that I would end up in a Tacoma. Now I'm not so sure.
    The Taco handled Ok, but I did not like the site lines, and felt the engine noise was loud. I'm actually thinking of trying another test drive in case I got a lemon.
    The Frontier was much better then expected. The noise levels were almost as good as the Ridgeline. It actually felt better then the Taco. And I may still be able to get a deal on an 07, because they are not moving at the local dealerships.
    The Sport-trac is now off my list. The engine noise was pretty loud for city speed, but was much quieter on the highway. The brakes were very squishy. The real problem is that the local dealerships are keeping a very low inventory of the trucks. I used an inventory search engine and found less then 20 Sport-Tracs for the entire metro area (which has over 8 million people). Not going to get any good deals with those kind of numbers.
    So, after this round of test drives, I would bet I end up in a Frontier, with the hope that Honda may have a good deal pop up for December (not a great possibility, but no unheard of).