Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    Well guys, I know this is a little off-topic but why don't Rav4 buyers consider the Kia Sportage. I know,I know it doesn't have as much reputation as the Toyota brand name has-but seriously, it is not a bad car.
    I think it's great, for the price of a base 4cl Rav4 you could get a fully loaded 4cyl or V6. Both engines are sufficiently powerful and it has a really adorable interior. Superb materials used. I am telling you, Kia is not as bad as it seems. ;)
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I finally saw the new Rav, and I was not that impressed. They had one parked next to the Highlander, and the Highlander was noticeably wider and larger. The rear of the RAV is a no go for me given the spare tire and the way the rear tailgate opens. I am looking for a vehicle with dimensions the size of the Highlander, and I just hoped for more with the RAV.

My dealership had six units at their main lot, and probably some more in back. They are beginning to get them in, so I'm very surprised that they were not already sold. I received an email quote for $1,000 off of the MSRP ($23.5K for a base 4*4), plus ttl.

I would recommend not purchasing one until dealers have more than a few units on the lot. There is a big price difference between other compact SUVs as noted by the other posters.
  • era174era174 Member Posts: 67
    It's good to know some people saw side & curtain airbags on the base model in America.

When I looked closely at Toyota Canada's RAV4 specs, I couldn't find tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) anywhere, not even on the most expensive model with the side & curtain airbag option.

If TPMS is deleted in Canada, it's another shame on Toyota Canada. Canadian buyers have to pay $10,000 more (not 1K but 10K!!!) to get side & curtain airbags (along with other options) and still they can't get TPMS??? Oh my...
  • rsaltus1rsaltus1 Member Posts: 43
    Now that you mention it, I haven't seen the TPMS on the Sport I saw here, and no dealer has mentioned it. I bet they don't have it in the US either.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Its standard on all models.
    Go to the Toyota website and look under models, then interior, and you'll find it where they talk about opitron cluster, gauges, etc.

I hope by summer we find out this is a good car.
  • themaynelinethemayneline Member Posts: 4
    I have been in contact with about a dozen dealers in the Philadelphia area. All but one said they are selling at list price. One dealer int Turnersville, NJ is 500 under list.

As a result, I have put a deposit down on a car I have yet to even test drive.

joe
  • kjhwkjhw Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for one vehicle to replace two vehicles (a minivan and a Miata) with one. We have been interested in the AWD LTD 2006 4 cylinder. We drove a base model and had similar impressions -- interior a bit sparse and unappealing. Also, we thought that it was a bit noisy. Is the LTD quieter? Also, we would like to get leather without a moonroof, but it appears that if you want leather, you also have to get a moonroof. Anyone know if it is possible to get leather without a moonroof? Besides not wanting it, it is an issue of headroom since my spouse is 6'5" tall and even an inch of headroom makes a significant difference. We looked at and ruled out the Honda CR-V and Honda Pilot because there was no way to get leather without a moonroof and the headroom difference was enough to make it not work. Does the power seat in the LTD go down further than the one in the base model? We also found that the seats seemed to be tipped forward a bit when adjusted down.

On the leather issue, we have Siberian Huskies and we find the leather works better with pet hair.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Leather can be added by a dealer subcontractor as easily as a LoJack.
  • edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know if it is possible to get leather without a moonroof? I second that question.

BTW, since I was ripping on the fabric in the base, I just noted a few sites that say that the Limited DOES have upgraded cloth fabric in it. However, my salesman said it did not and i can't find anything about it in the 2006 RAV4 brochure. Has anyone seen both the base and limited together to know for sure? Thanks.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    It may seem odd to cross shop the new RAV4 and the Scion xB but that is what I am doing.

For those that have sat in both, how does the interior size compare?

My wife and I have one child (18 mos) and another on the way and I am tall enough to need whatever seat I am in to be all the way back. The two children will be in car seats. One front facing for a while.

The interior space on the xB really appeals to me. My local dealers (central Ohio) do not have any RAVs yet so I am trying to get an impression of the size.
    Hi - I'm in total sympathy on the height issue, being nearly 6-5 myself. We drove a RAV4 Sport last week, I was pleasantly surprised that even with the moonroof, headroom seem perfectly adequate when the seat was at its lowest position (manual adjustment, same as the base). Overall it felt it was a bit roomier for me than the CR-V, and also had a more comfortable space for my left foot while driving than the CR-V. Another big plus: I find the RAV4 easy to get in and out of because of the way the doors open - lots of knee space climbing in.
    Of course, I would prefer not to have the moonroof, but the way these packages are configured, it's hard to know what variations are possible.
    rs in boston
  • ss1967ss1967 Member Posts: 3
    I have been back and forth with the local Toyota dealers here in NW Ohio on pricing. Looks like 28+ for a limited 4cyl with heated leather seats,DRL,SAB etc. With tax, it puts the Rav into the low 30's, a 4cyl suv over 30 grand!
    so I test drove the Escape, got it to 80MPH and it shook so violently I thought the car was going to fall apart. Researched the Kia and saw the MPG, off to test drive the CRV......
  • adobianadobian Member Posts: 3
    in July, there will be a new 2007 Santa Fe.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Since you were lucky enough to find a RAV4 Sport version to drive, any comments on handling, noise and smoothnes compared to other models.
    Jim D
    Jim D: I have only a short test drive to go on, and I havent driven the other models. The Sport seemed fine to me - I wouldn t call the ride harsh - it seemed pretty much the same as the 2006 CR-V I drove recently, but somewhat quieter in terms of road noise. I could only go on surface streets "our insurance won t cover us on the Mass Pike," the salesman said - that seems weird to me. I really like the handling and the 4-cyl seemed more than adequate - a lot better than my current 6-cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also love the dark charcoal interior on the Sport; it s maddening they don t offer it on the Limited (you pay more for LESS choice of interior colors? I don t get it.) that s about all the wisdom I can offer until I check out the base and limited versions.
    richard in boston
    Thanks for the input on the Sport. My local dealer says he has one in flow for January. Price is MSRP-minus $500 maybe. Claims Side Bags come only on Limited in NE but I have see 3 base models with them so I am not sure these guys know for sure. They are getting cars but no choice of what they get or we get! Some dealers have RAV4s with stickers "Fleet Unit-not for Sale". Not sure what that means.
    Jim D.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I wonder why no navigation system is offered.
    I want factory NAV.

Also, what's up with the radio antanae on the fender?
    Retro look?
    I had a chance to drive a RAV4 Sport AWD 4cyl today. Definitly different feel from Base but good if you like crisp handling. Not noisy but a little choppy over rough spots. Suprised by acceleration of I4 engine and would say it is adequate for most driving unless maybe fully loaded or steep mountains etc. If I did not know better I felt maybe the Sport had different gearing or shift points than Base. Who knows? Car must realy rip with 104HP more with V6. Sale price is MSRP of $25500 roughly! Lease quote was terrible at $479/MO with NY sales tax in lease and $795 fee outside of lease and zero down. Residual looks like 61% so they must be charging like 9%+ interest it would seem! Dealer says you do not order these things. You tell them what you want and they see if it is located anyplace or being shipped. Sport did not have Side Airbags.
    The saga continues.
    Jim D.
    Wow - that sport must have been loaded up with extras. I've been quoted a price for the Limited of $25,800 before TTL, if I remember correctly. The Sport should be cheaper than that.
    They're going to turn off a lot of buyers with these prices, it seems to me.
    rs
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    How is it that Edmunds and MSN both have prices for the v6 version and Toyota's website doesn't. In fact, the Toyo website doesn't even acknowledge that a v6 exists. Oddly enough the 06 RAV literature is loaded with V6 version photos.

When are the 6 cyl versions supposed to be available? The salesman I spoke to said April but he was misinformed on several other issues.
    - hutch
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    what's the hurry. never never put down a deposit there will be more rav,s and the prices will come down in a few months.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    Just drove the Tucson on Saturday and was really surprised. I own a Pilot and was surprised at the quality of this vehicle. Hyundai actually offers a decent package and the feel is very high-quality. I was most surprised with the quality sound, feel and acceleration of the V6. I was expecting it to be a 'dog' but it was very smooth and peppy. I took it up to 85 and it had a solid feel. I am interested in this vehicle but am concerned about reports of 18-23mpg which is better than my Pilot but should be considered its a 2.7 vs. a 3.5 V6. By the way, I couldn't buy a Limited Tucson V6 as the demand is too great and I have to wait til one comes off the boat....1 week or so. Who woulda thunk it that Hyundai would have supply problems?!
    I want a a V6 which rules out a RAV 4 cuz sales said it would be 'several months'. Who knows what that means when a salesman says it!
    The RAV4 prices being what they are, the only thing that keeps me from really seriously considering a 4 cyl Sportage or Sante Fe or Tucson is the mpg. That's where Toyota has a significant edge - unless their estimates turn out to be way off.
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    In Canada at least, a comparably equipped Tucson is almost $10,000 less than the Rav4 limited.

You will never be able to offset that by mileage savings! Although the toyota will retain more of its value. Still, that's a shockingly high differential.
  • bstinmanbstinman Member Posts: 6
    Speaking of price differentials...In NE Ohio we have yet to receive RAV's in the local dealerships. Since my vehicle was totaled by a drunk driver a couple weeks back I didn't have any more time to wait so I went with a 2006 AWD Pontiac Torrent. At first I was dissapointed to not get the new RAV, but after driving the Torrent for a few days I think I made the right decision. The interior is both sporty & roomy, it rides nice and it cost much less than the RAV's which must be bought at MSRP right now. I paid thousands less than what it would have been to pre-order a V6 RAV plus I was told a by various Toyata dealerships that they couldn't guarantee I'd get the exact options on a pre-order and it would be until March before it arrives. Sorry Toyota.
    Well if you look at prices at site such as MSN you will see Sport and Limited are not far apart in price if you do not get leather on limited. The Sport I priced had side airbags at $640, floor mats and another bunch of little odds and ends that brought total options and accessories to $992.
    Jim D.
  • fblackfblack Member Posts: 26
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The Torrent looks like a nice little SUV. I just wish they would offer stabilitrak to sweeten the deal. Not even an option???? Come on GM!!
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Hyundai's/Kia's are infamous for having poor gas mileage for the first 3-4,000 miles. After this break in period, the engine loosens up a bit and mileage should get better. I get 31.5 miles/gallon on my Elantra city/hwy driving. Although it's mostly city these days(Los Angeles). We Californians should stop buying so many cars... Anyhow, hope it helps. btw I've had nothing but good experiences with Hyundai.

-dan
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Welcome to the club.
    The RAV and the CRV are very close. My wive drive a CRV and I drive a 05 Tacoma DC and I could tell you that the baby car seat take a lot of room on top of that you will have the stroller (umbrella or regular), lil suitcase,diaper/baby bag, and most of the time you will have all this on the way to the mall or the store or vacations. We have a regular stroller and the space in the CRV is good. I had seen the xb and I do not think that It would be a practical Vehicle plus THINK SAFETY the xb is tooooo small. this is my opinion.
    fig.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    V6 in Mar/apr is about right..
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    We picked up a new RAV4 over the weekend from Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg, MD, for about $1300 below sticker. It was a pretty much fully loaded LTD, including leather, heated seats, moonroof, 4WD, side curtain bags, and DRL (MSRP around $27.9k).

I think the car is great; A world of difference from the '05 model. Much larger and more refined. True, not as isolated and hushed as the Highlander, but that's not necessarily bad; it handles and maneuvers better, yet is still very comfortable. The power is certainly acceptable from the 4-banger (my last car was an Infiniti G35 6-sp). I find the styling and interior environment more pleasing and refined than the CRV.

All the storage space is great (especially with the thoughtful hidden compartment, the moveable cargo net, the tonneau cover, and the grocery bag hooks). I was able to easily move a 3x5 wallboard and some 8-foot long crown moldings yesterday.

About my only complaint is that Toyota doesn't include floormats; it's an annoying way to save a few bucks. Also, I encountered an annoying hiss with the AUX audio input using a MyFi XM satellite receiver (when using DC power), but solved it easily using a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator connetor.

Looking forward to the next snowfall to see how the 4WD handles...
    Thanks for the report, we are going to try a Tucson too as a lower cost alternative to the rav. We looked it it awhile back but never drove it because the Santa Fe was larger (also we found out that the Tucson Limited does have auto temperature control). We drove the Santa Fe and were not impressed with its ride at all, so it was crossed off the list, and then we sort of forgot about the Tucson. Note that the Tucson is almost a foot shorter in length than the new RAV4, and you are giving up something like 8cf of cargo room. Still, it's also at least $5000 cheaper in this area to get a limited Tucson than a limited RAV, even if they discount the RAV, so we are going to try it out. Tucson gets excellent reviews, better than the Santa Fe.
    Amazing! How in the world did you negotiate that price - what's your secret? The conventional wisdom around here is that no one will sell the car below sticker because of short supply and high demand.
    Keep us posted on how you like it.
    RS in Boston
    Most people have trade-ins and the dealers make up "lost" money there playing around with numbers in the trade along with dealer add-ons, financing mark-ups etc..
    So, prices paid quotes are pretty meaningless when all details are not provided.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually, you may be surprised to hear that Fitz is a no-haggle dealer. Their prices even include freight. There's a $99 processing fee, but that's it.

We've bought several cars from them, not just me, my dad, my sister, my brother. The price is the real deal.

$26.6k, then, seems pretty reasonable. Even if a V6 adds a couple grand, $28.6k loaded up like that is not bad. I think if you can stay under the $30k psychological barrier, you'll be better off.

-juice
    Tucson is a bit smaller, the upcoming Santa Fe should be about the same size as the RAV4. Sportage is a clone of the Tucson. I drove the later, with a 2.7l V6, and liked it OK, just not very exciting. Competent for sure, though.

The Scion xB has amazing passenger room, but no cargo room. If you have 2 kids in the car, where are you gonna put the stroller, port-a-crib, back pack, diaper bag, toys, and never mind your luggage. You'd need a roof top carrier, at least.

-juice
    The current Santa Fe is about the same size as the 2006 Rav. I've heard that the new Santa Fe will be significantly larger than the current model.
    Ya know with the shuttle from Boston to DC it might be worth the trip to Fitzmall to investigate. Fitzmall is on the web and all their vehicles are discounted. Except the Prius. AFAIK.
    They sell the Prius for MSRP as their "value price", but that includes 6 free oil changes and a few other little extras.

Their internet price is below MSRP even for the Prius.

-juice
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    we are picking up our new Rav 4 this afternoon! Its a barcolona red/taupe Limited without leather.. Has the sunroof, side bags, drl's, JVC stereo.. I like the 4 cylinder too. Perfect for a SUV & great mileage.. The 6 will never be close to it no matter whats it rated at:)

If I wanan go fast I drive my 87 Grand National:)
    Frank
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    ateixeira is correct; Fitz has 'no-haggle' prices. It may not be the rock-bottom lowest prices on all models, but it certainly works well for new, limited-supply models. Their online inventory listed my car a couple of weeks ago, so I put in a refundable deposit to secure it, and paid their asking price when it showed up over the weekend. No trade-in was involved, and the transaction was straightforward.
    Similar to ours .. Prius at MSRP but all new vehicles have oil/filters/inspections free for life, plus engine guaranteed for life.

LOL.. I am going to get my money's worth on my Prius. I put on 5000 miles every 6 weeks!
    You know, that's not a bad idea. Thanks.
    rs
    Holy cow, do you ever park?

-juice
    ;) Can you imagine I've done this for 20+ years in two different lines of work and it's mainly just the commute. 25000 miles a year is a weak year.

A couple of Prius clients drive as much or more and they dont park. Their vehicle is their office.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    TMV for an 06 RAV, 4 cylinder, 4WD, auto, 3rd row seat, styled wheels (not sure what that is)& roof rack is $22.6!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the 4cyl is a dog that seams pretty good. My question is: where can I get one! Seriously, I'd expect that to be the going rate (midway between invoice and MSRP) but not this soon. Where does Edmunds get its price from?

I wonder if the 4cylinder is a dog.....anyone drive one...
    Automatic is standard equipment and I wonder if you ever would find one on a lot with the only options being the 3rd row seat and roof rack?
    Why don't you test drive one? Adequate power is highly subjective in comparison to what and how you are used to driving.
  • vrooommmvrooommm Member Posts: 10
    My wife wanted something new. We were just about to pull the trigger on a CR-V, but she saw the Rav4 as they were unloaded from the truck...she fell in love and declared the RAV "cute"...so she bought it.
    The little truck seems very grown up and offers a great level of equipment. No convincing the dealer on invoice+/MSRP-...good luck!

I am surprised at how quick the 4 cyl engine performs! I guess the not so little RAV is 'cute' :blush::)
    Check back a few pages, I drove a 4cyl and reviewed it.
    For those of you who have seen a cloth Limited, did you get a chance to check a base model and see if the cloth was any different in base vs. limited? I hated the cloth in the Base model, just wondering if it's the same cloth in the limited. I have heard varying things, would love to hear something definitive.