Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• drmelfdrmelf Member Posts: 4
    Good to hear that after break in the gas mileage will get better. I think the clunk is more in the brakes than the drive train. Anytime the truck has been parked in the driveway and I back out, I hear a small clunk and can feel a bump in the brake pedal. Dealer told me it was normal with the "free floating pads" used on the brakes.
    Not sure of that.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    If you have ABS that is probably the system resetting itself.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    This the first truck that I have ever owned. I need this truck to tow my 2300 lbs race car to the track. Total weight of car and trailer will be around 4000 lbs.

I have had this truck for 700 miles and I am really begining to see what people enjoy about trucks. I will simply list the one thing that I DO NOT like about this truck. Everything else is excellent

The stock shocks are WAY too soft. Toyota made it that way since marketing shows that 2/3 of truck drivers use them for their daily commute and they want comfort. I like my truck stiffer than the Tundra can offer. I could not find the TRD option with the LSD option in one package. So I got the regular shocks and then I bought the even stiffer than TRD OEM shocks HD Bilstein shocks. These are 30% stiffer than even the TRD OEM shocks. The cost was $130 more than the TRD package. And I do have the fog lights and the alloy wheels and better tires that come with the TRD package.

I love the way the truck handles now. It is simply awesome. It is stable and does not wallow on dips like before. Steering input has also improved. The truck is more composed and you feel in control. I just love it.

Aside from the shocks, this truck is perfect. It is the right size for me and fits in spots that Fords and Chevys will not. It is much easier to drive in Urban areas than other bigger trucks.

As far as gas mileage, I got 17-18 mpg in the first tank that I used. And the truck is not even broken in yet :-)
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    I had a 1993 Land Cruiser that made that clunk sound too and I would just grease the drive shaft and other parts of the LC and the noise would go away.

My neighbor's Ford Bronco 4x4 has the same clunk sound that my LC had and he just greases the drive shaft.

It appears that the clunk sound is related to 4X4.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    That clunking sound you describe sounds like the ABS diagnostic test that occurs first thing after you put the truck in gear after it has been sitting for a while. Can you feel the "clunking" in the break pedal? Does the sound come from the right front fender area where the ABS unit is located? If so, then that is considered normal because that is the way the system is designed.

The other clunking sounds describe here involve the slip yoke on the driveshaft. These occur after you come to a rather abrupt stop as the back of the truck settles down and compresses the driveshaft slip yoke. It kinda feels like someone tapped your rear bumper. The 4x4 Tundra uses an exteranlly greaseable slip yoke near the rear differential (the 4x2 models have the slip yoke in the tailshaft of the transmission). It takes quite a bit of grease to get from the zerk fitting to the splines where the friction is occuring. I fixed mine by pumping the slip yoke full of grease (it takes about 20-40 pumps), then bouncing the rear bumper a little to force more grease into the splines, then removing the zerk fitting and allowing some excess grease to come out, then put the zerk fitting back in. No more clunks in 20,000+ miles.

Alan
  • drmelfdrmelf Member Posts: 4
    Another conversation with the dealer and he confirmed the ABS diagnostic. Thanks for the information.
  • controlgodcontrolgod Member Posts: 14
    I have a printout with the charges for a '02 Tundra Access Cab 4X4 and it has 2 charges that I'm not sure about.

One is the dealer holdback of $526 as a built in profit on the invoice of each unit - which I thought that the Factory gave to the dealer, it seems as if they are adding it into the price of this vehicle. To me, it appears as if the dealer is getting this amt. twice, once from the factory and the 2nd time from me. This doesn't seem fair. Shouldn't I be able to tell them to take it off of the price they have down, or am I missing something.

The 2nd questionable item is called Whsl. Financial Reserve - $263 (1/2 - the amount of the holdback). It is being added into the dealer price. What is this and can I negotiate a way of not having to pay it?

I have dealers in my area offering me a new Tundra at $0 - $200 above invoice plus Toyota's financing or an added $500 off if I do a straight cash deal.

Thanks in advance for any info on the 1st 2 items. Does $0 - $200 above invoice sound like a good deal on a Tundra?

Tony (aka - Controlgod)
    Don't read too much into the name, I just work as a supervisor in a Control Room (Command Center). :)
    While I do not know what the WFR is, I can tell you with certainty that it is factored into the invoice price that you get off Edmunds or KBB.

kbb/edmunds invoice = dealer cost + option cost + destination charge + holdback + Wholesale Financial Reserve.

Since it is factored in, I do not see how you are going to get out of paying it. You have a better chance negotiating the TDA (advertising fee) out of the deal.

I paid $257 over the KBB invoice for my truck. That is 1% over invoice and I got a 4x2 SR5 with VP, LD, CF, LF, DH, DZ, CC, AL.

I think you are getting an excellent deal. I chose to take the 4.9% Toyota financing for 60 months. I know that I will pay off the truck way before then and that will save me even more on interest.

Good luck.

PS: You will love the Tundra, except for the soft stock shocks. But I replaced mine with HD Bilestin shocks. They are even firmer/better than the OEM TRD package.
  • eng208eng208 Member Posts: 10
    I am not positive about the Tundra but I do know that on a Tacoma, which uses a twin piston caliper on the front brakes, you will get a light tapping sound coming from the calipers when the brakes are lightly applied, especially in reverse. It is what the dealer said, the pads are seating against the rotor and not a problem or a cause for concern. It is better than having the pads riding on the rotors all the time.
    Chris
    I got the answers to all of my questions and just put in an order on a new SR5 Access Cab 4WD with the following options and color: RC,AB,CK,DZ,LD,OF,PX,VP,DH,CF and Sunfire Red Pearl with Oak interior. The dealer came down to $100 over invoice and I'm taking the 36month 0% financing. Final price just over $27K (including TDA, etc) plus TTL, doc fees.

The build date is supposed to be 12-10-01 (next Monday - I know what they used to say about Mondays & hope that it doesn't apply as much to Toyota) it should be at the dealer around Xmas - New Years. If Xmas, I may have to buy a bigger tree to put my truck under...lol.

Wish me luck and I'll update people down the road. I should have it broken in by my first planned road trip in mid March. I'll be taking it up to the North Shore of Lake Superior and probably try out a few of the logging trails in the Boundary Waters or Superior Natl. Park area. Boy I just can't wait.

The info that I've gleaned from here and other sources online has been very helpful. Thanks for the help and encouragement, especially Steve and Dianne.

Wish me luck, :)~

Tony
    this price of your truck as optioned should be $26,810 at invoice according to KBB. That price includes the holdback and wholesale financial reserve but not the TDA. How much is your TDA?

And what is option RC? It in not listed on KBB.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Don't worry about the Monday thing. That isn't the actual day of production. It is the production week. When we get a report from Toyota, they tell us only the week that the thing starts on the production line, not the exact day, although some dealers don't realize this.
    The TDA was $250 plus the $6 gas fee. I think that RC is the tow receiver, it was the only thing that I didn't think I will really need, at least for the forseeable future. But they are being added on the vehicles built with my config. up here.

Steve, do you have any idea how long it takes for a vehicle to be shipped and travel time (roughly) once it's built?
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    ObyOneKenobi (a young Skywalker wannabee) FarmerJed52 (where's Ellie May and Grannie) can't find anyone to talk with them about their own vehicles, so they come in here and spit out their smart [non-permissible content removed] remarks when everyone else is engaged in a serious talk...

Go luck on this one now, good luck on that one then, Merry Christmas, Happy Halloween, Have a nice day... whatever...

Long live the king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Nope - judging from your last post - he just showed up!
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    BTW, in the context used, "its" would be correct, not "it's" as you wrote. "Its" with no apostrophe denotes possession (which you were trying to do), while "it's" is simply a contraction of "it is."

Maybe you should come down to Mexico for some English lessons...
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    Just go and buy a Tundra and get it over with... You obviously want one because you spend more time engaged in the Tundra discussions than you do in the discussions you should be engaged in (ie Silverado discussions).

You're in here trying to convince loyal Toyota owners that their vehicles are bad, but there must be a few brain cells left in your head, so please, please come to your senses and understand no one is going to trade their Tundra in on a Silverado (or their Tacomas for S10s). It just isn't gonna happen... You know it and we know it...

Now go along and go talk with the boys from your own "club" and let the men talk business....
    for a rado when and only when CR and JD Power start recommending the Rado and stop recommending the Tundra.

Will this ever happen? NOT...
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Just thought I'd let controlgod know that when I ordered almost eaxactly the same truck in Oct. it showed up a week early! Good Luck!
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    Everyone has their opinion, ford-chevy-dodge-toyota-nissan. My Tundra V8 is the best ( ride, comfort, quietness, torque, acceleration, braking, quality of build ) 1/2 ton pickup that I have ever owned or driven. If you really want to make your best friend, who owns another brand late model truck, go "Wow", make some excuse to go somewhere and take them for a ride, or better yet, ask them to do you a favor and run an errand letting them drive your Toyota. As an aside, I got a loaner Dodge truck, before I got my '02 Tundra and drove it about 100 miles and thought, this is the worse V6 that I have ever driven, very under powered. Well, I opened the hood and there sat a V8.
    That is really funny. Dodge's are known for their underpowered trucks. The 5.9 L produces 240-245 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. For an engine that size, it is embarassing. This is the same hp figure as the Tundra, but torque is higher.
    if the V8 Tundra will be offered with a manual transmission? In some ways, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Tundra, but it HAS to have a 5 speed. As much as I hate to admit it, some of these guys have a point about the Tundra's very limited options. No 5 speed option is keeping me from buying one.
    The 2002 model DOES NOT have a 5 speed with a V8. I will wait until the 2004 model when the new Tundra is slated to be introduced.

Look for a quad cab and around 300 hp from the new Tundra. I do not know about the 5 speed
    The Chev only has a 5 speed available on the 4.8L V8. What kind of a choice is that? You can either get an underpowered pushrod V8 coupled to a 5 speed or you can get a 32 valve DOHC V8 coupled to an automatic. Tough choice?

Why would Chev only offer a 5 speed on the 4.8L? Could it be that Chev knows that their 5 speed is just a little WEAK?
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I don't know why oby is always defending the rado; he admittedly owns one of the worst rados ever built. Complete Lemon. If I bought a POS like that I sure wouldn't defend them like oby does. Apparently the marketing works because their trucks sure don't.
  • hatrickhatrick Member Posts: 1
    anyone purchase a tundra sr5 4x2 in nor cal (sacramento) recently? specifically w/VP, captain chairs, and in dash 6-cd changer? i see carsdirect.com offers a price of 22300, or roughly 100 over invoice, but they don't list the VP as an option package. anyway, looking to buy in the next couple of weeks and was curious how others did. thanks for your help.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    What is the VP? I live in the San Diego area and purchased my Tundra 9/00. It is a Jade green 4x2 SR-5, captains chairs, gray cloth interior, bedliner, alarm & a single in dash CD player. I have almost 30k miles on it now and it has been a delight to drive. I purchased it new for $23k.
    10 (out of 10)
  • hatrick1hatrick1 Member Posts: 1
    the VP package is listed as the convience pkg, w/power windows/mirrors & slide through privacy glass. did your $23K price inc. tax & lic? thanks.
    Can anyone share their opinions/experiences with the Toyota installed Security system vs. an after market system such as Viper. My vehicle is due within the next week or so and I'd like to decide which way to go.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • bige22bige22 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when Toyota will introduce a Quad Cab Tundra?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    With the new redesign in 2004 or 2005.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    New to this topic - like some of the characters who post here!

Got rid of my Ford Ranger in DC for a sedan, and now want a full-size truck. I'm moving to Omaha and buying a house, and I just need a truck. Will eventually tow a boat. I tested '02 Tundra and '02 Silverado, but not F-150 yet.

Based on the '99 Sienna I own, Toyota has the edge on quality, and the Tundra's smooth powerplant was a joy, even if hp/torque not up to Ford/GM.

Are there any Ford/GM/Dodge converts out there who love their Tundras? I see their downsides being smallish x-tra cab and lack of features. How would you rate its overall utility (ride comfort, kids in back, hauling, off-road manners, reliability, etc.)? Thanks for your input!
    I would steer clear of the Ford F150 >

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news_releases/2001/pr060401.htm

Be careful there, jmsintx!!! You don't want to upset all the die-hard Ford and Chevy guys who want to believe their tough, American-iron (in many cases, Mexican iron) trucks collapse like styrofoam cups compared to those weak tin-can "Toys."
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    If you can pick through the drivel from folks like plutonius you'll get some good info! He can't touch the keyboard without boosting his ego by bashing Ford or GM trucks and their owners.

As far as towing with the Tundra: A Truck Trend magazine article from this past summer rated the Tundra excellent for towing. The test was a Tundra and a Silverado pulling a good-size boat/trailer which weighed around 5000lbs (if I remember correctly). Both trucks performed great and the magazine the magazine gave the Tundra a thumbs up due to it's smooth ride and handling. They felt the Tundra was just about at it's comfortable suspension limits but said the Chevy could handle more if necesary. So both trucks have their strong and weak points. Either truck would be great for pulling a boat in that size range.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I'd tow no more than about a 23' ski.pleasure craft (no more than 5000lbs. I guess).

How about lack of options on the Toyo? Chevy has things like lumbar, pwr/heated seats, heated mirrors, auto 4WD, rear air vents, air temp display, etc. that Tundra doesn't offer...I know, I know - how did we ever survive the 70's w/o any of these things, but we're used to the gizmos these days!
    After owning 4 Ford tucks over the last 20 years,
    I am now a stedfast Tundra convert. The Tundra IS a little bit smaller than the big 3, but that's one of it's best qualities IMHO. I don't have to scout out parking spaces at Home Depot anymore... my "Toy" will fit into almost any spot. And it fits in my garage! Of course I'm still waiting for it to start falling apart like my last F-150 did...
    I too see the smaller size as an asset rather than a liability. The truck is extremely easy to drive in the urban jungle.

Since the overwhelming majority of us live in urban/suburban areas, then the Tundra makes perfect sense. Since 2/3 of those who drive trucks drive them to commute and on occasion aul stuf from Home Depot or tow less than 7000 lbs, then the Tundra make perfect sense.

Yes it is smaller than the big three. The only real problem is the rear seat. But I am a single man and I hardly use it.

Toyota did the right thing by making this turck ride and drive like a car and making it smaller. That is why the Tundra is meeting its 100K annual sales target.

Now that the Tundra has established a foothold in the truck market, the next step is to widen the Tundra models. The most needed is a quad cab and maybe a bigger engine.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Here's a full size truck made for tight parking spaces. Turn radius as tight as Honda Accord.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/january/200201_shorttake_gmcdenali.xml?&page=1
    A GM owner who has bought a lemon Silverado is posting in this group. He surely must realize that he is posting off topic. Just sour grapes?

My Tundra has been flawless for the 2 years I have owned it. It has been the best quality and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
    steering will fix the shaking steering column in those Shakerados!
  • jferrendellijferrendelli Member Posts: 2
    My wife started up the tundra this afternoon and there was some heavy smoke from the exhaust. I didn't see it when it exited the pipe so I couldn't tell if it was white (coolant) or blue (oil). It's a 2000 extended cab with the V8 and I have been religious with the maint. Has anybody out there seen this problem? I know what causes both types of smoke but with only 36K miles I am very concerned.

I will update the board after I get it in the shop. This board helped me get the brake/vibration taken care of so I owe a follow up to the rest of you.
    Regards,
    Jeff...
    Quad, WHY would any red-blooded American want to buy a pickup made in Canada (no offense to Canadians) ALL Tundras are made in the US.
    And so-called "American" Silverado trucks are built in Canada. During the 4 months that your truck spent in the shop, did you worry about where your truck was built?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    bama what state was your truck built in?
    Why would any red-blooded american want to buy a foreign built truck? I would rather buy a Tundra - all Tundras are built in the US. All Denials are built in Canada (A foreign country).

If you buy a GM Denial - You are shipping jobs out of the US!
    STOP. Please keep this thread about rating the Tundra. If you want to flame, go to the ride and mpg thread.

Personally, I do not give a sh*t where my truck is built as long as it has quality and reliability engineered in it. If Afghanistan made a reliable quality truck, then I will buy it.
    You are ridiculous, go F*UCK yourself, you F*UCKING pig.