Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    I see what you mean. The rpm was just around 3300 or so.
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "Since my first Camry in 1989 and Chryslers and GM's and several thousand vehicles in our inventory over 6 years, I personally have never even heard of a leaking sunroof... even once... on any make or model."

Like KDH I have never had a bit of water come through the sunroof of our 94 Civic and we have owned it since new (12 years) and it has spent its entire life outside getting sandblasted, baked and pelted by the big weather in OK. My garaged 92 MR2 has the infamous T-Tops, but I have never had any leaks from any of the seals on those either, although I am happy to keep it out of harms way.

My biggest complaint about sun/moon roofs is the added expense and loss of headroom, particularly if you are tall and/or rarely use it. Our Rav4 doesn't have one and I never miss it, but others will feel differently.

Gogiboy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool, so then by my math, at 50mph it would be at just 2143rpm (the engine would downshift for a hill).

Peak torque comes up at 4700rpm, and I bet if we can find a torque curve it's a steep slope climbing up to that point.

-juice
  • windgoldwindgold Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my new RAV4 on Tuesday and after 3 Dodge Caravans (yes, I know, I'm stupid!), I am totally in love with this car! There is nothing I don't like about it. The controls are very intuitive; the ride and driveability are tops. For my dog-hauling lifestyle it is perfect. Yes, it's the ultimate "cute ute", yet my 6'3" husband fits in just fine.

I really like the red, too!

- Jo Ann
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Plus they're probably cheaper.

Congrats on the new RAV4.

-juice
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    congrats Joann!!!!!! What color and trim level???

Frank
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    I have been keeping an eye on the www.fitzmall.com site for a month or so as they have RAV4 at good prices. They have two places with the best price place chargeing $670 over invoice and the other, Chambersburgh, asking about $400 more than that. When I asked about this they said things were less competitive in the Chambersburgh PA area. So just now I see that Chambersburgh prices on Sport have dropped to $600 over invoide. They have several sports that have been listed for 2-3 weeks. They show 29 RAVs in or coming in.

So maybe the demand situation for RAV$ is easing up. Wishful thinking here maybe. I consider $600 over invoice a reasonable price for a new model.
    Good thinking Juice.
    Hello did you ever get your V6 from Fitzmall or is it coming in or what? They had 2 listed as coming in but then after a few days they were gone.
    Jim D
    I had seen more like 2800 RPM when I drove sport at 70. So 3300 seems high at 77 unless it had shifted to 3rd.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Or unless you're going up a hill.
    well 77 mpg at x rpm in 4 th gear on level ground is 77 mph at x rpm on a hill too unless the transmission shifts down or something is slipping.

What am I missing?
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    Not yet. I called today and they said it is supposed to be in the port 2/8 and at the dealership on the 13th.
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Made a trip to Twin City Toyota (Festus/Crystal City, Mo.) this afternoon. Looked at an 06 Limited and an 05 Base. Size difference is apparent. Question: looking at the brochure I picked up, it would seem that unlike Honda's AWD the Toyota's drive system does not automatically shift power to the rear wheels if the front wheels lose traction if the car is doing more than 25 MPH. Is this correct? If not, then what is the Electronic On-Demand 4WD? Thanks.
    When did you place your order? At Fitzmall right?
    It was my understanding that it put up to 45% of power to rear wheels when needed .
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations! Be sure to visit Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. :)

tidester, host
    Jim,
    I know on a level stretch of highway I had 2600 at 70 mph.
    On that hill I noticed the rpm were slightly higher to maintain that 70 mph.
    Nudging slightly closer to 3000.
    So, I slowly pressed the gas just a bit more to get up over 75mph (still staying in high gear).
    I guess the rpm can increase somewhat before the transmission downshifts.
    Welll it sounds like the I4 is pretty good.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    When the torque converter unlocks, the RPM's rise (from 2600 or so to around 3000). A downshift from 4th to 3rd gear would result in a much higher rise in RPM at 77 mph.
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    ordered about 2 weeks ago, from Fitzmall.
  • tpkrotpkro Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: !!!

NOT!!! I LOVE IT! Classic Silver Limited with sunroof, curtain airbags, JBV stereo, running lights. Paid $25,500 at the local dealer. I have noticed pretty SLOW sales at the local Carmax (Laurel, MD)...they have 41 of them. They origionally listed them @MSRP but a week ago they started offering a $1000 discount. I wanted a v6 but drove the I4 and loved it. First two tanks of gas yielded 24mpg in mixed driving. I did notice some rough shifting on cold mornings the first few days, but have not noticed it since. My choice was between the CR-V and this. The CR-V was cheesey, this car is SU-WEET!
    Ok so small progress. The V6 is now listed under the build and price section of the Toyoto site. For the limited only though so far. Also the options are updatd to included the towing package.
  • edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    With our limited, I have never been over 2500 rpm when going 70mph on the highway. At 75 it is around 2600 rpm. We have a 4cyl 2000Camry and in our opinion the rav has more giddy-up than it does. It has been more than good, we've been pleasantly surprised by its ability. I wouldn't use the 4cyl to haul a boat or anything.
    great tpk!!! Same options as our Limited.. These trucks are wonderful huh?? :)

Frank
    I remember one salesman telling me the shift points are different on the sport. I have not been able to get any more info on this but he had a color chart that he had that showed transmission operation or something and he said there was a differnce with sport.
    Must be...because I noticed at 2600 rpm it will stay right on 70 mph (on a level road). But, once I let it down to 2500 rpm I start drifting toward 68 mph or so.
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    The sport has larger tires, so the speedometer and shift points are calibrated differently. I did 80mph in a Limited at 2800rpm.
    You have a Sport or? I know the sport has 18 inch wheels but lower profile 55 so I had thought the diameter would be same. I need to measure at Toyoto next time I see a sport. Or I can take a look at tire rack for a similar tiere spec. The G91A is nowhere to be found on the net.
    I spoke with my local dealer this AM. He has two V6 RAV4s due in on Feb 20 which tracks with what he said a few weeks ago. One is a Sport and one is a Limited. He says he does not expect to get more than 2 or 3 V6s per month anytime soon and he believes they will only be sports or limited. This is a pretty big dealer.

One thing that is crazy is he claims no Sports in the Northeast Region are coming with side curtan air bags. I have seen 6 sports in NY so far but none with those bags. On Fitzmall, they all seem to have side curtain bags.
    Toyota does strange things.

RAV4 base and Sports seem to move fast, Limited slower. He has two Limted ones sitting there for over two weeks. Nothing else.
    incorrect. larger tire BUT lower aspect ratio, so all th etires onall models are same overall diameter. All shift points are the same in all 4 cylinder transmissions. Your sales guy ws mistaken

F
    Well maybe but I do remember a color brochure he had that showed a graph that indicated they were different. I am not saying the grear ratios or tire dia. are different. I am saying maybe the shift points are. I do know that when I drove the Sport it did seem more peppy than the base. This could have been marketing at work since I was driving the BIG BAD SPORT if you know what I mean.

The dealer guy I spoke with today looked me like I was nuts when I mentioned this. But he said they will eventually get a source book that has all the details and minutia of each model. Actual the sales guys are guessing just like us in some cases
  • r6riderr6rider Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a small suv, test drove an Rav4. I immensly liked the vehicle but don't know how much interior room it has for cargo space when second row seats are folded. I still need the utility value of an SUV. If anyone of the rav4 owners can check if it has interior space to fit a 4x8 plywood that would be great! I forgot to measure it when i was at the dealer
    Well you have hit upon one of the few short comings of the new RAV4 for some people. It is about 43.5" wide at the floor, about 51" wide above the wheel wells and about 50" if you put somthing in at an angle so one edge is on the floor and the other is on top of one wheel well. So I guess you could get somthing 48" wide in at an angle if was not deep, thick like a book shelf which might then hit the overhead. BUT......from the rear door to the back of the front seats is 74 to 79 inches depending oh how short your legs are. The distance from the rear to the dash is 100" so if you can drive without seeing out it would work? So you cannot get a sheet of plywood in BECAUSE the RAV4 rear hatch does not open up or down but sideways. I made these measurements because I do big model airplanes and need space for them.

Having said all that, I doubt if any of the small to medium SUVs can take a whole sheet of plywood. And do you really need that capablility? If you do, you might look at the Ford Freestyle, it seems very big back there. Or maybe the Honda Pilot or a van.
  • jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    V6 isn't listed when I put my area code in. I live in Iowa. I put an area code in from NY and it then showed a 4X4 V6. Just FYI. They are apparently very slow rolling these out.
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for your reply.
    OK I thought Toyota was just slow but they are slow and tricky I guess. Thanks for the input. But my dealer showed me his computer screen of incomiing cars and it shows a Sport V6 and a Limited V6 coming 2/20 to NY 11769. We will know in a few weeks I guess
    I am in NY where toyota site says only limited model V6. I entered zip for MD, 20882 and then site shows V6 base and Limited prices. If I put in Long Beach CA it says nothing of V6 and does not show even Limited I4 models.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As you can guess. the regional sales for every vehicle is controlled by the regional sales department. Toyota has no say at all in what the regions decide. Prius for example: toyota makes 8 packages, most regions only allow the stores and the clients to order a limited number of these.

The 'build your Toyota' program is developed by the regional offices. It's why you have to enter a ZIP..
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    That is the truth! Also, if you don't see a particular combination, that doesn't always mean that there is zero availability of it. Sometimes, if there is limited availability of a certain combination, it won't show up on the website.

Let your dealer know if there is a combination you want that they don't offer. If they get enough requests, they can pass it on to the regional office, which can then change their production ordering.
  • martin15martin15 Member Posts: 4
    I'm pretty close to buying either the 4 cylinder 4x4 Base or Sport. If a sport, then it'd have a sun roof. Can't figure out if the price difference is worth it, since the sport doesn't seem to offer that much more over the base, perhaps the wheels are important, or the suspension is different?

Do the larger diameter wheels improve performance in any way (better MPG, handling, etc) or are they just for looks? Same for alloy, is it just looks?

Is the suspension on the base really much different than the sport?

Any comments or answers are appreciated. Thanks
    Well two of the three local dealers I have talked to seem only to be interested in "this is what we have, if you want that at a little off MSRP good. If not, bye". One local dealer is more helpful with info and delivery etc but if it is not on the approved delivery list he says he cannot get it. Example of this is Sport with side curtain bags which are not on list for NE region. So this means a trip to MD and Fitzmall once I drive the V6 and decide what to buy. Not a real big deal but it does seem dumb that some areas can get an important option and others cannot.
    Suspension is firm and car handles a little better but a little stiffer over bumps. Actually the price difference from base to Sport is not big if you don't just want a very basic RAV4. By the time you add a roof rack, get rid of the little 16" steel wheels for 17" on the base and a few other things your close to the Sport costs. Also base has vertical antenna on fender which is great for the kids or car wash to break off. You also get fog lamps and heated outside mirrors.

Since the RAV4 is so basic in the first place, the Sport details make it a little more appealing to me

I am not an expert but the 18" wheels/tires are a little wider but lower profile so diameter is close to same as 17" I think. They probably will help handling and ride some but not help gas mileage. The sport has a little more stylish or unique interior in a darker grey. It also has less color choices paint.

So all of this is really handling and style things. Only you can decide it they are worth the extra cost.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Everyone seems to be forgetting about the roof rack. I hauled plywood a number of times on the roof rack of my old Forester. As long as it isn't raining you're fine.
  • bosi78bosi78 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone I am curious What type of accessories could I equip a RAV4 V6 Limited 4x4 with. (Tube steps etc.)Thanks the website(www.toyota.com) dosn't list them all. I don't think so anyway. Also I was wondering with such a small fuel tank is the driving range really short? I drive from NY to TN once a year in a volvo car with a 18.5 fuel tank.
  • prash1prash1 Member Posts: 32
    They say DVD player is available only in V6 RAV4.
    Do all RAV4s come prewired for DVD ?
    Is it possible to install aftermarket DVD player in RAV4 ?
  • r6riderr6rider Member Posts: 2
    thanks jimd4, that's good information. It is a charming vehicle but since I only have another car in the family, I would be better off with the Pilot, even though it is not an attractive vehcile as Rav4
  • bosi78bosi78 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone I am curious What type of accessories could I equip a RAV4 V6 Limited 4x4 with. (Tube steps etc.)Thanks the website(www.toyota.com) dosn't list them all. I don't think so anyway. Also I was wondering with such a small fuel tank is the driving range really short? I drive from NY to TN once a year in a volvo car with a 18.5 fuel tank.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    They say DVD player is available only in V6 RAV4.
    Do all RAV4s come prewired for DVD ?
    Is it possible to install aftermarket DVD player in RAV4 ?

Answers:

Yes, for the time being
    No,
    Yes, any vehicle can easily be retrofitted for a roof-mounted DVD or a seatback-mounted one.
    Well as someone reminded us here, you do have the roof rack for big stuff on the RAV4.

Also, Pilot is bigger but uses more gas and drives more truck like than the RAV4. But it is a very nice SUV if you want to be in the 4500 lb class.