Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Once again, I'd suggest the Civic Hybrid.
    I know you're a Corolla fan, but it gets 50 MPG!

Then again, the Prius does 60.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Looking into the Civic Hybrid as well, and hope to test drive one soon. Too bad corolla is not hybrid yet. Maybe in 08.......Don't really like the instrument panel in the Civic, but will look again in person to see if it grows on me. I really do like the upscale look on the interior of the corolla though.....
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    In addition to introducing a 6 cylinder Rav4, has anyone heard if Toyota is adding more power to the 4 cylinder for the base MY06 models? I test drove an AWD 05 with auto several months ago and it felt a little underpowered - that or the gearing was a lot different from my 01 Corolla.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Forester and looking to buy within a week or two, but I'm liking the looks of the new Rav4 - not sure I like them enough to wait 3 more months, though.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Toyota has a pic of the new body and of the driver dash area on its websire www.toyota.com
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Automobile magazine says it will have a 300HP engine, though I would guess it is from a 3.0LV6 instead of 3.5LV6 in Avalon.But, hey, not a bad idea.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    A RAV4 with a 300hp engine is totally NOT going to happen. What are those ppl smoking? A RAV with more HP than the Highlander and the 4Runner - nonsense.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    That's a joke right, a Rav4 with 300hp? Thats more than any Toyota SUV, whether it's the Land Cruiser/LX470 or Sequoia.

That is definetly a bad idea. Putting such a powerful engine in a small SUV will make it price itself out of it's market.
    If you like the upscale interior in the Corolla, then go ahead and buy it.

It gets good gas mileage too. Not the 50 in the Civic Hybrid, but still somewhere in the mid to high 30's range.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    I am not make this up. Please see the following link:

http://automobilemag.com/2006_new_cars/0509_2007_toyota_rav4/

Maybe there is a typo? Or maybe Toyota wants to produce a mini Cayenne?
  • yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    Who needs 300 hp? I need 30 plus mpg!!!!

Yooper
    that they meant 300 HP? I was under the impression that they meant 30.0 MPG.

I think Autoweek has a typo. 300 horsepower in a RAV4 isn't realistic,(since it'd have more horsepower than the entire Toyota line, plus it'd be more powerful than even a few Lexus models) but 30.0 MPG is.
    I need 30 plus mpg!!!!

I need 30 MPG too. 40 MPG would be even better.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    300 hp must be a typo. A compact to midsize SUV needs 300 hp like I need a hole in my head. Then again, it would stand alone in that particular market, but maybe with good reason - is there even a market for a setup like that to begin with?

It's only potential competitor would be the Forester STi (265 hp?), which isn't available outside of Japan (yet). The class-burning Forester XT is rated at 230 hp, so for Toyota to smash that by 30% would seem to be overkill.

The magazine did go on to mention it would be the fastest Toyota since the Supra, however. Is that just an assumption based on misinformation?
    My 05 Rav 4 as stated on the window spec sheet that the mileage would be around 24 city, and 29 highway. I only drive city, and I'm not a lead foot ( Most of the time, unless passing ) and twice now I calculated my city driving mileage to be 18 mpg and 20 mpg. Don't like the number's, so I'm looking at the Corolla again. Prius is too darn expensive ( Trade up every 2/3 years anyway ) for my taste. I like Invoice, and not MSRP prices. I'll also look into the Hybrid Corolla when they come out in the future. Gas around here is now $2.80 per gallon and going up. Time for a reality check
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    If you trade that often, especially if you trade an '05 RAV in, you will lose far more than you will ever gain in fuel savings. False economy IMO.
    Yep, you are right, but I'm thinking of the long term this time, with the new Corolla. Like the interior of it as well. First bought the Rav, for my father having problems getting into a lower to the ground vehicle, but now he is in a nursing home, and I'm thinking of when the gas prices go through the roof.
    Just get a Corolla LE and call it a day. It still gets pretty good mileage.
    Corolla on order :)
  • ma16101ma16101 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Ive got the Toyo Rav4-L. Over the last 5 years of my ownership Ive gotten the check eng light come on 4 times in this period. The dealership says its the Oxy Sensor, and while it was under warranty replaced it 3 times. In the 4th year, I switched gas and it was fine, now in the 5th year its come on again. I was told by a gear head friend that the sensor might not be bad, it could be the gas isnt burning well and to try new spark plugs before investing another $169.00 on the Oxy Sensor.

He suggested I try the "Split Fire Spark Plugs". He has them in his Chevy truck. So I was wondering if anyone of you have tried these in your Rav 4's? Would this type of spark plug work in the Rav ??

I appreciate any feedback .. Thanks. :shades:
    I'd try the owner's board. Very few of the posters here actually own a RAV.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please try our Toyota RAV4 discussion about model years that are currently on the streets.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Toyota webpage for 2006 RAV4: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4.html

Press release from Toyota on 29 Aug 2005: http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/future/pressrelease8_29.pdf

You can also submit your email address, and they'll keep you informed of website changes and annoucements.

Bud H
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You don't suppose the RAV4 is getting the 268 HP V6 hybrid system.....???
    Does anyone know what the MPG will be for this 06 model ? My 05 Rav 4 is getting me only around 18/20 in city driving only.....
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's propably the best gas mileage of any SUV (non-Hybrid) available at this time. It just seems worst because of the current increase in gas prices. These are SUV's. They weigh more, they have 4WD systems that negatively affects gas mileage, they are not streamlined. For better gas mileage, a small station wagon would be a better choice. The 2006 RAV seems to be lower to the ground. Also, maybe Toyota will change the RAV's 4WD system (to something that is similar to what is in the Matrix) that will improve the gas mileage. Time will tell.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    just think how expensive it would be if it did! Can you imagine paying $28K for a RAV, even if it was faster than the wind and returned 30 mpg?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    If anyone has seen pics of the new (future) Highlander, it looks like they are changing it completely from something that looks more like an SUV to something more like a Pacifica. Toyota may very well be putting the new RAV4 into mid-size territory, with the Highlander as more of a cross-over vehicle and leaving the 4Runner as the only true mid-size SUV offering. If that is the case, third row seats and close to 300hp may not be too far off.
    Where have you seen pictures of the new Highlander? I've seen pictures of the FT-SX (concept vehicle), but it's no guarantee that it will be the Highlander replacement.
  • maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    It is optional on not only the V6, but also I4.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Looks as though 2006 RAV will have the Matrix's digital dash insert which includes the outside temperature. Does this mean the new RAV (07 perhaps) would have automatic climate control?
    Edmund's lists the FT-SX as the Highlander's replacement.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    I presently have a 2002 HL and judging by the couple of photos of the new RAV4 I like what I see so far. Personally I’m hoping it will be equal in dimensions to the present HL because it’s the perfect size for my needs and I have a feeling that the next version of the HL will be much bigger.

Guess we will find out soon if Toyota releases the RAV4 vehicle specs at the Frankfurt auto show on September 13.
    That would be nice.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I have read that the 2007 Camry Hybrid will be using the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine and not the V6. Does anyone know if a RAV4 Hybrid is also planned? If Toyota keeps the price down for the hybrid, that would be the way to go.. Also will the new RAV come with a 5 speed automatic on the 4 cylinder?
    neumie, I believe Edmunds stated that they would like for some of the FT-SX's attitude to be added to the next Highlander (not a replacement). It would be nice if the next Highlander did resemble the FT-SX.
    Just saw some spy pics of the new RAV. There was no spare tire attached to the rear door. It also appears that the door will still swing open like the previous one (based on the handle location). Based on the wiper location, I wonder if the rear window can open on its own. Looks the RAV has grown-up.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    petl check out the www.toyota.com website- the actual RAV is right there.

~alpha
    Thanks. The last time I looked there were only 2 pics available (a side view and the dash). The spy pics showed it from the front and rear. I will give it another peek.

I've been shopping for my next vehicle. I been checking out the Avalon, Camry, IS, Highlander and now the RAV. It's unfortunate that Toyota doesn't make some of their nice wagons available over here in North America. My preference would be a 4WD wagon based on the Camry (not a Highlander and the Matrix is too small). I know I asking for the impossible, a 4WD (for snow and ice conditions) that can pull my small fishing boat (1200lbs.), roomy enough for 4 adults, rides as quiet and comfortably as my 4cyl. Camry and gives decent gas mileage. It doesn't have to win any races.
    I, too, hope the new Highlander resembles the concept. I looked under future vehicles, and the FT-SX concept is pictured as the future Highlander. I could be misinterpreting the "replacement" issue though.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Based on the few pics that are out, including some new shots from Frankfurt, there definitely seems to be a long & short version of the new Rav4. The short version retains the rear-mounted spare but a teaser pic of what I assume is the longer version shows it without....one can only hope, as the long version's rumoured 3rd row seat would be filled with shattered glass from the rear window if rear-ended with a spare on the rear door.
    Could you ellaborate. Not sure I understand your comment on the shattered glass. All vehicles are surrounded by glass (safety glass).
    Our Sidekick with rear-mounted spare was rear-ended, causing the rear door window to shatter and spray all over the inside of the car. Glass ended up in the rear seat area, so I can imagine how bad it would be with a 3rd row seat. When the rear-mounted spare is hit in a rear-end collision (and it most always is, as it sticks out well past the bumper/non-bumper), it causes expensive, unnecessary damage to the rear door and invariably causes the window to break as well.
    Isn't the Sidekick on the smallish side and older in design? I'm sure the newer vehicles with rear-mounted spares are designed a little better (in terms of spare tire positioning). I think that the size of vehicle hitting you would also make a huge difference. The new RAV looks like it has a rear bumper. This will help absord the impact in a rear end collision. Every SUV (with or without rear-mounted spares) and Van will sustain substantial damage if hit hard enough from behind (particuarly if it's a large vehicle). If there is enough stress on the rear door the glass will be damaged. Vehicles with trunks have don't have this problem.
    Incidentally, checked the 2 versions of the RAV (with and without the rear-mounted spare). Although the rear door is different, they appear to be identical in size and length (IMHO).
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    ..that the version with the outside spare would be the 3rd seat model, as they need the room inside the passenger compartment for the people, and their legs.
    ...on Toyota's Press site....the North American version will have a longer length/wheelbase than the Euro version. WB is 105" and overall length is 181" and yes, there will be V6 (268 hp) and 3rd row seating options. Sadly, they seem to have left the rear spare on the door, an extremely and probably deal-breaking move IMHO. Reportedly, the Euro Sport version will be available with 18" runflats and no outside spare. Like the option of no outside spare but 18" runflats on what is supposed to be an affordable family vehicle? I shudder at the cost of replacing those suckers. Toyota, can we PLEASE have the option of more reasonable 16 or 17" tires, no outside spare and maybe a can or 2 of tire inflater? Otherwise, you'll forece me into Mitsubishi's new 7 seat Outlander or Hyundai's new 7 seat Sante Fe. BTW, the new Rav4 looks good from all angles, except that massive, ugly, impractical,dangerous, damage-inducing rear door-mounted spare. (Have I made myself clear?!)
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Wheelz4 -- I couldn't agree with you more. I've been following this forum very closely for many weeks hoping to find out if the otherwise excellent RAV4 would shed the rear-mounted spare. I was very disappointed to see the newly released pix on Toyota's website today showing the rear-mounted spare in tact.

This is absolutely a 100% deal breaker for me. Consumer Reports, NHTSA, and IIHS have all demonstrated that all trucks with rear-mounted spares suffer horrendous damage even in low-speed fender benders.

This is why the Subaru Forester remains the best all-around car-based compact SUV. I was hoping to upgrade from my Forester into a new RAV4 with a nice V6, Bluetooth, a little more room, etc., but this will now not be happening.

Elliot
    Just so I'm clear, can someone show me where vehicles with rear-mounted spares are less safe. I know that "some" may be very costly to repair. In rear crash testing the IIHS rates the RAV and the CRV as "Good", the same as the Santa Fe, Outlander, Vue and Grand Vitara and better than the Escape, Wrangler, Element and Freelander. The Forester had an AR (Active Restraint) rating. The RAV equiped with side airbags was actually the highest ranked small SUV. CR doesn't crash test vehicles. I'm not sure if the NHTSA tested these vehicles for rear-end crashes. If they have, please direct to the results. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer that the new RAV not have a rear-mounted spare, I just don't see any evidence that it makes it less safe.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    disappointing that Toyota continues to make side curtain airbags an option. Like trying to find a 4Runner with SAB, almost impossible.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I used to own a Honda CR-V with a rear-mounted spare. It was great to have the storage space opened up inside, and the wheel made a great spot to mount a bike rack (Thule's model Spare Me).

The knock against this idea isn't any safety issue - in fact, I always thought that having that extra cushioning would yield a safer vehicle.

I think what the earlier poster is referring to is the extra sheet metal damage that the wheel/tire causes to the tailgate. It makes a rear-end collision a much more expensive thing to repair. This has been documented in Consumer Reports testing in their "bumper-basher" testing.

Something has changed, though. Looking at the 2005 and 2006 RAV4 pictures on www.toyota.com, and the 2005 CR-V pictures on www.honda.com, you see the new RAV is very different from either earlier vehicle. There is now a real bumper on the new RAV that isn't there on the 2005 RAV4 or CR-V. Also, the spare tire is mounted higher - it appears that the bottom of the spare is nearly at the same height as the top of the rear tire. I'm guessing that another vehicle's bumper would now hit the new RAV square in the bumper, without hitting the spare at all. Backing into a light pole or parking lot post would still cost you, though. And the higher spare appears to sacrifice some rear visibility.

There are lots of new pics & info at www.toyota.com for the new RAV. They confirm the extra storage space, the extra 14 inches in length (Highlander territory now!), optional 3rd row seats, and an AUX input on the sound system. Oh, and the new 3.5L V-6 specs - 268 Hp ! That might be a deal-MAKER for me. Can't wait to drive one.