Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Yeah, they are comfortable. If you pull back on that lever, the seat back will recline to wherever you want. With that arm rest...if you extend the headrest section out all the way, it rests on that so the whole thing levels out.

• 01mdx01mdx Member Posts: 45
    Just a clarification on the Pilot/RAV4. The Pilot was redesigned (at least cosmetically) in 2006 so it will not change until at least 2008 (probably 2009).

I really like the new RAV4 (I have a 1997 right now) and the V6 looks really nice. But I have a couple of kids and use the 3rd row fairly often so it's really a concern for me. When I priced the RAV4 V6 with 3rd row, it's around 29K and I cannot get a few options that are standard on the Pilot. No doubt it handles better than the Pilot and is better on the gas. But I really need the space so I am looking at a pretty-well loaded Pilot EXL for around 30K. The space and features vs. cost is in the Pilot's favor.

If I only had one kid, I might go for the RAV4 as it's a nice package of utility/sportiness. I briefly looked at the Highlander Hybrid, but it seems like you are paying around 10K for the hybrid and since the RAV4 is almost equal size and gets decent mileage it does not seem worth it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds like you need to be looking at the dreaded M word, minivans, if space is a concern. The third row in the Sienna and Odyssey provide much more room, easier access, and much more cargo space behind the third row than the Pilot, and especially the RAV4.

Just a thought.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Life IS short. If you can afford it BUY it/.

Now if we could just convince my child of the depression Mother of that. :P

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    with the upcoming Acura RDX....
  • 01mdx01mdx Member Posts: 45
    I have been looking at the minivans but cannot quite feel comfortable with spending the next 7-8 years of my life with one despite all of the practical reasons. I have driven the Pilot and Ody back-to-back multiple times and can't keep from feeling that the Ody is just too large (although it definitely has some great advantages). Wish I could look at the RAV (and RDX, Murano) more seriously but I cannot. I certainly have been happy with my RAV4 for the last 9 years. :)
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    cool!!!! My 4 banger cannot chirp em :) We were down th eJersey shore yesterday and again we got 30 mpg on the way home.. all highway driving..

Frank
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    I was looking at the gear ratios since I might use it to pull an 18' boat to the water in the spring and out again in the fall. 1st gear in the V6 is even lower than the I4. Not much but lower. It does move out even with moderate throttle from a dead start.

I get a kick out of the comments here... "your getting a Toyota for a Lexus price." Tell me what Lexus SUV you can buy for $26550? (Price of loaded V6 Sport) And it can do 0-60 in less than 7 to 9 seconds depending the RAV engine you buy!
  • silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    For a couple months now, we have also been looking very heavily at the RAV4 V6. In the process, we have also considered the Odyssey, Sienna, the Pilot, and the Highlander. Minivans, IMHO, have a lot of great benefits(especially on long trips with a couple of kids--the interior room is great if you remove that middle row of seats). However, my wife has been driving one for 7 years now and wants "something different." Thus--bye bye Ody and Sienna. The Pilot was nice and roomy--but drove very truck like and "big." The Highlander was very quite, smooth and comfortable--but let's face it,its somewhat lacking on eye appeal. Enter the V6 RAV4---very powerful, zippy, and easy to maneuver in traffic/parking. The interior is roomy enough for us (granted, I'm short (5'6") and my wife is even shorter), but we liked the power and maneuverability and the style of it. The middle seat allows adjustability forward and backward as well as reclining---nice features to increase comfort for those who may not be so tall. Test drove a V6 RAV4 a week ago and it handled very well and was fairly quiet. IMO, the Highlander was more comfortable, but I couldn't help but "enjoy" the peppiness and sportiness of the RAV. I got it up to a steady 80mph on a freeway and it was at very low RPM and was still very quiet and smooth.

Now the question----we have one ordered that the dealer is holding for us---its a V6 limited, with third row seat, moonroof, side-airbags, towing package, roof-rack, auto-dimming mirror, upgraded stereo, bumper guard, wheel locks, etc (nearly all options expcept no leather and no DVD system)--MSRP is $28,848 and we are getting it for $27,352---or $1500 below MSRP. From what I have read, this seems to be a pretty good deal at this time---any thoughts?

One other question----does Toyota offer Leather at all if you get the third row seat. Their site is a little confusing. Its difficult to tell whether you cannot get the leather on just the third row seat itself or whether you cannot get leather on any of the seats if you have the third row?
  • bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    From what I have seen on this site, you got a good price. By the way, my wife and I went through a similar selection process. I was wondering what region of the country you are in? It seems that prices may vary depending on regional supplies V demand.
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    My understanding is you cannot get leather if you get the third row.
    If you think the RAV 4 suits you.............Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From everything I know after looking at plenty and driving 5 different ones including a V6 last Friday no one is getting a better deal than the price you quoted here. About leather with 3rd row, no idea. But you can get leather from the dealer via aftermarket install if you need it. Do you really need 3rd row? It is heavy, expensive and ...well get it only if you need it. Only you can make the final decision. You can probably get one with leather and no third row soon.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It does seem that you got a good deal. If you want leather you can get it at the same store at the same time by asking them to get one of the local installers to put leather into it. I've done it maybe a 100 times including my own Highlander and next Spring in my Prius. It's well worth it and you will like it.
    What do you mean when you say the 3rd row is "heavy"---are you referring to actual "weight" (i.e., as in pounds?) If so, does it really make that much of a difference in the overall weight.
    If I have a local installer put leather into it, what should I expect to pay for it at a fair price? How long does the installation process take? (days/weeks?) Also, can/should I have them install it on the third row? I am just wondering if Toyota doesn't offer leather on the third row because perhaps the leather (for some reason) makes it so the third row doesn't quite fold down flat properly with the different material? Any thoughts?
    Well, I cannot find any Toyoto seat spec numbers but I see the gross vehicle weight is about 300# more with 3rd row. That is a lot to lug around if you don't need it.Also it is at the end of the car which cannot help in handling. That weight takes gas everytime you speed up and brakes every time you slow down. If you need it buy it. If not, think about it. It lists for $700 more and uses up useful storage space. My dealer told me $1300 to add leather on a two seat Sport. That $700 is half of what the dealer will charge to do leather or more than half of factory leather costs. Also I do not know if it affects how far back you can move the 2nd row seat.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Can you still get leather done in the aftermarket if you have GY side airbags?
    Also how difficult is it to care for?
    In our region it takes one day to order and receive the package from the manufacturer and one day plus, depending on level of business, to install it. It should be 3 days max.

I didn't install it on our 3-row Highlander, just the first two rows. How much will you use the 3rd row? Will it be exposed all the time? Children/drinks/food?

The price depends on whether it's two or three rows. On two rows I'd estimate $1200 +/- on 3 rows maybe $1600 +/-
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I heard that the turning radius on the 2006 RAV 4 is an incredible 34.6 feet on the Limited and Base model, and 36.6 feet on the Sport. I can't remember where I read that. Can anyone confirm this? Also, why would the Base and Limited have 2 feet shorter radius than the Sport? Is it the wider tires?
    I recognize the V6 has towing capabilities up to 3500 lbs--However, does anyone have an understanding on the break down of the "tongue weight" capabitlies (i.e., the weight on the actual hitch") in relation to the total weight of what you are towing.

We own a Coleman Pop-up camper that has a total trailer weight of approximately 1500 lbs (approximately 1800 when loaded and ready to go camping). I know the V6 should pul this total weight fairly well--however, I don't know about the total tongue weight. It seems the frame on the Rav would not be as strong/sturdy as my truck that I have been pulling my trailer with.

Also, does anyone have any input on getting a two hitch on it. Should I go with factory installed (they are charging approximately $800, or can I go with aftermarket (they will charge about $270 installed)?
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    I would rather have the factory hitch, but I refuse to pay that kind of money. I'm sure there are other options.
  • defrancedefrance Member Posts: 17
    at 2200 miles my mpg started around 24, went to 26, down to 22, now back to around 24. I really expected to see better numbers. I do ALL highway driving. Usually around 80mph. Maybe the speed is killing it. I have even started to fill up at the same pump to verify my results. BTW, has anyone noticed that the shift from park or reverse to DRIVE seems to occur harshly when the engine is cold? It is so harsh that I wonder if something is wrong. Oh, one final update. Some of you may remember I was rear ended a couple weeks ago. Well the dealer still has NO CLUE as to when they will get the replacement parts in. They are all backordered. I hope all of you drive carefully and have better luck than I did, otherwise you have a nice long wait...
    One of the key items that has come up regarding all the controversy on FE ratings on the Prius and other hybrids is all the variables that few if any of us know about.

EPA HWY tests are done at an average speed of 48 mph on flat terrain in 75 degree weather..after 10 min of warmup.
    If you match this criteria in your driving you too will attain EPA test results. The EPA test results are the only ones by law that an auto maker can state in any press or advertisement. No matter how out dated!!!

As you mention in your post, speed kills!! Another well known fact to auto engineers and aerodynamic engineers is the effect of drag and speed. Correct me please if I misstate this. The amount of power needed to increase speed is the square of the increase in velocity.

While 45-50 is the sweet spot for HWY driving increasing your speed by 60% to 80 mph requires an increase in power of 150% or it almost triples your fuel usage ( cuts your FE by two thirds ).

Essentially driving over 65 is bad for FE but driving over 75 mph on a regular basis kills all hope of any FE.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The amount of power needed to increase speed is the square of the increase in velocity.

The drag force varies with the square of the speed so the power required to maintain a given speed varies as the cube of the speed (i.e. proportional to force times distance per unit time).

tidester, host
    Thus it's even worse...is that correct?

Is there a quick reference? I used to be a physics major back in the dark ages, but I never used it. It still interests me. tho.

Tks
  • kremerbkremerb Member Posts: 7
    Can you still get leather done in the aftermarket if you have GY side airbags?

When I looked into doing that with a CR-V, I was told doing that was a no-no. Something to do with tampering with a safety system that aftermarket upholsterers didn't want to risk.
    Well your asking alot when you expect high MPG at 80mph. On my Audi which has a trip computer with instanteous MPH readings the MPH goes down real fast once you go over 70. 80 is like 18.mpg compared to 25 at 66. That is with a 2.5 liter V6 with turbo. So you have a 2.4 liter 4. I would say 24mpg at 80 is real good. Try 65 for one tank and see what you get. Also if you want good MPG you need a lite, smooth foot to keep speed/throttle changes small. Buy a scangauge trip computer and you will see what I mean.
    Yes and Yes One of the nice features of the RAV4 is it is very nimble to drive especially around town. The steering is light and quick and the front view is good so those runs to Home Depot and McDonalds will be more fun.
    It is interesting to note that the www.fitzmall.com site has lowered prices and is showing many RAV4s both V6 and I4s at $500 over invoice.
  • pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    I heard somewhere that the V6 requires premium fuel. Is this correct?

Or do I have a choice as to which type of fuel to use?

Also, if I choose to use regular and then fill up on premium, will that adversely affect my vehicle?
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    The v6 does not require prem. fuel. It has been suggested (not varified) that the EPA ratings for the V6 were obtained using prem. fuel and accordingly may not be obtained using reg. Is that true? Who knows.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    So it looks like my brother in NJ got the best RAV deal to date - $700 BELOW invoice including dest + tax.
    Tongue weight spec's are usually determined by the hitch mfg'r. not the vehicle. I've used a "jiffy hitch" for years with no issues. Quality hitches are designed to mount to the OEM specified locations. What I would be concerned about, not having seen a hitch on the new RAV, is if the hitch penetrates (goes through) the bumper. I wouldn't want some aftermarket outfit messing with that.
    What did he get and where?
    There are lots of nice hitches shown on line in the $200 range. Just google "Class 3 hitch". From what I see they pick up existing frame nuts that are already in there from Toyota. None that I see attach to bumper. Many of the sites allow you to see the install instructions online. I think if you buy the V6 with the tow prep package ($140) you get the wiring connector at the rear of the car to tie into for the trailer.

One example is here: http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-9041&bool=AND&category=c- - 34_receiv-01&maxhits=1&keywords=gl0692&GO=GO%21
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Going 80 vs 65 gets you there 23% quicker. Time is money, at least in my business dealings. I'll spend the money every time to save the time.

Now driving to the beach for some time off is a different story. Don't need to haul butt as much.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Some upholsterers will do it because they can get the same break-away fabric for airbags used in the factory.
  • defrancedefrance Member Posts: 17
    Yes, I may be asking alot, but it does not seem so extreme compared to the guy, I think it was flyingn, who has a 4x4 4 cyl. and said he was getting 30 mpg at around 65mph. I don't think I can do the math but is a 15 mph increase equal to the 20% loss in fuel economy? And, yes, when I am driving 80, I am on the clock and have to be at court on time, I can't stand waking up too early. I don't even know if I could go slower the way traffic moves. I don't want to get shot ;) or cause an accident. All that aside, I am going to try to drive a little slower and see if it makes a difference. Anyone notice the transmission clunk I mentioned?
    That is all very true. But if you do it you should not asks why you only get 24mpg at 80mph. Enjoy!
  • pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    What if you mix the two, premium and regular?

I mean what if I have some regular in the tank and then I want to top it off with premium. Is that bad for the engine or does it really matter?

I think, I may want to fill up on premium for longer trips and just use regular for everyday driving. What do you think?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's one of many: The Aerodynamics of Drag and Power

tidester, host
    I octane mix frequently. My WRX requires 89 octane but you can't find that exact octane in my area. I usually run premium but sometimes mix mid grade with a partial tank of prem. Never had a problem.

If you mix 5 gal. of 93 octane and 5 gal. of 89 octane you effectively end up with 91. I researched this prior to starting this practice. It all sounded logical but I wanted to make sure before I had a problem.
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "The price depends on whether it's two or three rows. On two rows I'd estimate $1200 +/- on 3 rows maybe $1600 +/-"

We bought our 02 Rav4 used, but got the original window sticker. The previous owner(s) had aftermarket leather installed before delivery in the front/back seats, which includes the inserts around the 4 door handles. The price penciled in on the window sticker was $1300. I think the company is called classic car or something like that and it's the same company Lexus uses in Tulsa.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money if buying new simply because I find them much harder to keep clean and they require conditioning to reduce wear and cracking. I also live in a hot climate and even with dark window tinting all around they get hotter to the touch than any cloth seats. I will grant you that they smell nice, but doubt that you'd ever recover the added expense at resale because how many people expect to find leather on a Rav4? Now if it was a luxury or sports car where it would be expected I could see springing for it. Like KDH we tend to drive are cars until they turn to dust so I'll be interested to see how well they hold up. We don't have kids, but we do have dogs and thatshould play a part in one's decision as well.

Of course, in the end, it's a personal choice.

Gogiboy
  • shaggnasty1shaggnasty1 Member Posts: 11
    We got the leather because you have to have it to get heated seats (I will not own another car without them), and leather seats, at least to me, are easier to care for if you have kids.
    Toyota's manual for all V6 auto's states that premium fuel is recommended for better performance but any fuel is acceptable. Most, me included, use midgrade 89.
    thank you.. :D
    Thanks for the website--it helps. I know what the above writer is referring to, however. I have seen a few vehicles that have installed hitches which actually have to cut through the bumper to make it fit---it looks terrible. The site you provided looks like the hitch it designed specifically for the RAV4 to fit snug underneath the bumper without cutting through it.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    As thecat stated, there's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing grades. In fact, that's how gas companies usually extract one or two "mid" grades: they simply blend the 87 and 93 in whatever proportions they need.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    true. I was the one that gets 30 mpg on the highway. Did it again this weekend going down the shore. 30.4 mpg at 65 mph.. Gearing also makes a difference on gas mileage. Its impossible to say what speed is the best mileage because gearing can change all this.. Suffice it to say the slower you go the better the gas mileage.

Frank
    Since I am interested in adding a trailer hitch to a RAV4 V6 someday, I stopped on the way home and checked out a RAV4 that I saw on one of those raised outdoor advertising things the dealers have. This made it easy to see under the rear.
    Add the hitch will be very easy. There is a tie down bracket that I guess is used to tie the truck down in shipping and this has two bolts to remove it. There are two holes on each side of the frame with sturdy welded nuts inside the frame to pick up the four hitch bolts. My guess it is a half hour job to install it as everything is very accessable. Certainly would not pay $750 for a Toyota hitch when you can get get a nice one online for $130 and put it on in short order or pay a shop $75 to do it. This does not inlude the time to connect up the trailer light connector to the truck wiring at the rear.