Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    I made up my mind,(due mainly to all the helpful info. I read on this website) to order a limited V6.
    I ordered it last wednesday and got a phone call today that it was in, and I am picking it up tomorrow--I can't believe how quick the dealership was.{7 days}
    I really had given up hope of getting the new RAV4 before summer,especially from what I've heard about the two- plus months average waits.
    Anyway I am so EXCITED TO SEE IT TOMORROW-just wanted to share that.

P.S. don't know what I was thinking when I had the 2006 ford escape as a runner up.
  • rayjay1rayjay1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm ordering - through my credit union car broker - a Toyota 06 Rav 4. It may show up in August or September. It will be the limited with 6cyl AWD and the factory instaled tow package. I've owned Toyotas' before and they have all been trouble free. I still have a '95 T-100 pickup and after 11 years there's been no problems. Price wise there are similar 'less expensive ' makes that I've cked out but for me, cutting edge engineering, Japaniese made, Toyota known quality count high on my balance sheet. Ray Jenkins - Sacto Calif.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Wow, in a month or two you could order a 2007!
    See below
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    Yes, jimd4, but when would it actually arrive? Do you have any reason to believe that there will be any substantial changes made from the 2006's?

I struggled to decide whether to wait for the 07's or else just buy an 06. Our '96 4Runner was still acting like a new vehicle but it was on the cusp of turning over 200,000 km. We bit the bullet and bought a 6 cyl Ltd B package (leather, all the air bags, no 3rd row) and now the only problem is trying to wipe the smile off of my face. The ride, handling, comfort, everything is a dream come true. Just filled up for the first time and got 29.3 mpg (Canadian gallon; ~24.8 American) which is at least 33% better than what I was getting in my 4Runner. I felt myself falling into the "yes but wait until the next 07's comes out or the '07 CRV comes out" trap. I have no regrets whatsoever about not waiting for the '07's.
    Enjoy!
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Just ordered my new 2006 Pacific Blue Limited I4 4WD with Sunroof, JBL audio, cloth upholstery, Side air bags and daytime running lights MSRP=$26,704 for $25,691 and what I considered a generous trade-in for my 2002 RAV4L. :D
  • nomoretaurusnomoretaurus Member Posts: 8
    EPA on the Taurus sticker is 20/27. On a city tank I would get 20 on a pure and "perfect" highway tank I got 28. Over 200,000 miles I documented an average 24 MPG.

Same territory, Same driver, Same speeds, Same EPA. This RAV4, that I am much happier driving by the way, is hovering right at the City rating regardless.

That said, I am not giving it back, this thing is way too fun to drive.
  • samsidsamsid Member Posts: 4
    Congratulations! I ordered the same vehicle. It should arrive any day now; I've been waiting 4 weeks so far. How long until your new RAV4 arrives?
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    I ordered the same in black 4 weeks ago in CT. Any word on arrival time for yours? There are not many or any limiteds with sunroof anywhere.
    I was told (and I saw the listing of available vehicles either arriving in port or at different dealers) that it would be anywhere from a couple to 18 days. Congratulations on your purchase, too! I test-drove a sport model today and if that is a firmer ride, I can't wait to see what the LTD is like.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Considering the 2006 RAV4 has only been out for 3 months, I doubt if there will be much effect on resale value between 2006 and 2007. If you want to wait for a 2007 over a 2006 in order to avoid "first year problems", look at what the repair rates were in Consumer Reports for the first year RAV4 (1997)as of 2006. They are near perfect. I doubt if the 2007 will have much difference than the 2006 except for minor styling difference. I've ordered a 2006 and plan on keeping it for at least 10 years, so I'm not concerned with re-sale value differences between 2006 and 2007 models. The 2006 looks good enough for me. I'm getting tired of waiting for it. It's been 7 weeks so far. It should be here in about 2 weeks, a Flint Mica, Sport V6 4WD with a sunroof and auto dimming mirror.
    I noticed the 2007 Camrys are now on the dealer lot. Whatever happened to waiting till September to release the next year?
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    After months of following this forum, I finally bought my rav4 V6 sport tonight. It's a 4X2, Flint Mica color which we think is indeed nice. It has JBL 9 speakers, Cargo net with poles, side airbags (Curtain airbags), Daytime running light, Slide moonroof, and floor mat. The out-of-door price is $27660. What do you guys think, is it a good price :)

The deal is in Southern CA. The sales person is very nice. One thing I am still not clear is that is the spare tire cover removeable simply by pulling it?
    Relax, buy it, enjoy it! I am waiting till Nov because that is when my present lease ends and I do not need a new car now. If I did I would have bought a RAV4 by now.
  • 2sachse2sachse Member Posts: 5
    We're looking to buy a 2006 V6 2WD either base or limited with third row seat, tow package, and air bags. The Toyota dealer here in Dallas said no dealer in the GUlf States Area is ever going to get a RAV4 equipped with those three things (3rd seat, tow, and side air bags). Has anyone seen a car like this on the lot?

I don't have 3 months to wait if I order it. Any chance it'd eb here quicker than that?
  • 2sachse2sachse Member Posts: 5
    EXACTLY the problem we've been having in DFW. Sport City Toyota on LBJ told that tow package with third row seat wasn't available to GUlf States Toyota (TX, OK, LA, MS, AR) I believe those are the five states...

I'm looking to purchase out of the area or order but I need the vehicle before the end of June.
  • neox223neox223 Member Posts: 8
    Congrats Johan1! I think that's a pretty good deal you got yourself. :) I bought mine last saturday at the Garden Grove dealer. Which dealership did you get yours at?
  • beth10beth10 Member Posts: 15
    For the Midwest Region, the only way the 3rd row limiteds come is w/ the tow package, air bags, and moonroof. They may not be sitting on the lots, but a dealer found me one that has just been built but not shipped and it's supposed to arrive any day, which would be about 20 days from when I "ordered" it. You may have to be flexible on color.
    If you go to the Toyota web site, enter your zip code and do a "build and buy" on the model you want, you will see what options you can get in your region. If they are not listed your probably never going to get one unless the dealer finds it in another region and is willing to bring it in for you. Or you can buy it from another region if you find one yourself and drive it home.
  • beth10beth10 Member Posts: 15
    Try zip code "66209"
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Dealer called today. The limited is in. Black, moonroof, side airbags. Picking up tomorrow. :P
    Enjoy! I only got to test-drive the 'Sport'. It was amazing - I can hardly anticipate a nicer ride in the LTD. Can't wait for mine! :D
    Well at least where you are you can get the Sport with side curtain airbags on the Sport. Not in NY!
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I have been waiting for a loaded Ltd., V6 w/ leather since Feb 7th. Just got a call this evening ... IT'S IN !
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    disappointed with my milage. I live in Hellinois where its very windy. I easily do 80% highway, 20% city. When on the freeway, I do 70 mph on avg.

I have been average 24 mpg. Tell me again why I bought the I4 and not the V6? Seriously, one is foolish to get the I4 unless they ONLY do city driving.
    Just what do you expect to get at 70 MPH? WOW
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    yeah 70 is'nt a good speed to judge mpg.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Typically at 70+ mph you'll lose about 30% of your fuel efficiency in any vehicle.
    Just received a call from my salesman that they were able to arrange a trade for the Blizzard White Sport RAV4 that I test-drove this past Thursday for one exactly like I ordered. It is now sitting in Port (NJ), will be delivered to "me" within 3 weeks (likely much sooner). :surprise:
    What are you getting on it and what did you have to pay? Where are you located?

Good luck with it
    By the way, the Sport does not come in Blizzard White
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    yeah i don't think the sport comes in blizzard pearl. I'm tryen to get the limited in blizzard pearl and have to go to Indiana to even find a limited V6. In ohio they have'nt came in yet.
    Seee my original post #2974 for price info.
    As for the "Blizzard", I just know it was white -the RAV4 Sport that I test-drove, not the one that I'm getting. I'm in Windber, PA.
    (further info) The Sport white is called "Super White".
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Neox223! I got mine at Rancho Santa Margarita.
    Still not clear about the spare tire cover. Openned the rear door, didn't see any latch from beneath. :confuse:
    Check www.fitzmall.com each week. They get Limited v6
    Well when I looked at the limited, the latch for the tire cover is outside under the bottom of the cover just above the bumper. ">
  • mayestrmayestr Member Posts: 1
    I am 6'4". I just returned from the dealer. This car has plenty of headroom and legroom for me. However, there is not sufficient space for my right knee.
    This is a terrific car, it is really too bad that the Japanese cars are leaving out us taller guys with such an easy to remedy problem such as this. Simply making the console narrower would enable tall guys to buy this vehicle. Oh well, I guess the Japanese arent interested in anyone that isnt short.
  • martymacgyvermartymacgyver Member Posts: 30
    From one Purdue Alum to another (go Boilermakers!), I'm not sure you did all that bad really. I got my 4x4 V6 Limited just the way I wanted (and drove it all the way from MD) because, well, I'm crazy that way. ;) But I see mountains in my future and so the V6 will be an important part of that. Otherwise, it's just burning more gas than necessary in Flatland USA here (so is the de facto 70mph speed limit but that's another story...) Others are right, the speed itself is your limiting factor, not the engine. If you had a V6 your mileage would be a bit worse, not better. And I've found that the V6 lends itself to a rather heavy foot at the starting line - er, stop light - so it probably ends up eating even more gas because of that as well. :D

All things considered, I think you're better off with the I4 for general use and commuting.

- Marty
  • martymacgyvermartymacgyver Member Posts: 30
    I'm 6'5" with a little extra padding as well (*sigh*) and nonetheless I am finding my Rav4 to be a great fit overall. The door molding was initially annoying against my *left* knee but now it's no bother at all. I wonder what other parameters come into play here? Did you have the seat all the way down (the manual ones are odd - to me - in how they operate) and slid back? Was the steering column fully extended and tilted up? Not to assume otherwise but it took me a little while (and several test sittings) to figure all that out myself (I also figured out that a moonroof left almost zero clearance between my noggin and the solid steel moonroof mechanism, but that's another story). Power seats seems equally sized to manual seats after all that, so that doesn't seem to be a factor in fitting in.

Interestingly, the one other thing (other than the left knee thing) I expected to annoy me was the cruise control stick. But in practice it never gets in the way.

- Marty
    Finally, after 9 weeks I got a call from Fitzgerald that my car/truck was in - Silver V6 Limited w/leather. Had a little bit of a haggle over my trade in but we met in the middle. So, after 7 years of Subaru's I'm now a RAV owner. Hope the guys over at the Subie forum don't disown me .. they're a great bunch of people, but the RAV is wonderful. Without a doubt the smoothest vehicle I've ever owned.
    I have to confess that giving up the WRX wasn't easy but my geezer body needed something more comfortable.
    - hutch
    Well good luck with it. I have only seen two Limiteds with leather in NY. Keep us posted on gas milage and how you like it
  • mullismullis Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the oil filter on my 2006 Rav4 is located? Will I have to remove that vinyl cover underneath the car each time I want to change the oil?
    If it's the V6, it's easily accesable from underneath. It is not your typical oil filter though. There is an outer metal casing that you remove and the element inside is what you change. You may have to go to a dealer for now to get the new element.
    Oil change is $39, why risk your warranty if you have trouble later?
  • saqsalmsaqsalm Member Posts: 17
    Found an interesting video while browsing the web.. I believe its the British Road Test for a Rav4.. they gave it 4 out of 5 stars, but then, they didn't get the V6 269 horsepower version either. Link's below:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/video/test-drives/offroaders.html > click on Toyota Rav4.
    I like the Navigation system shown.. I wish we had this option in our US version.

I couldn't figure out why this video is of a left-hand drive SUV. UK's office Toyota website shows a right-hand drive RAV4 in its ad (link is http://www.toyota.co.uk > Click on Rav4 > Movies).
  • erin8erin8 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at inventory on dealers' sites around Colorado for the last few weeks and out of probably 8 dealers I have found a total of maybe 6 RAV4s in all! Is the shortage just in this region or is there a shortage everywhere (except fitzmall.com of course!)?
    Well here in NY it goes in cycles, dealers get cars every two week or so it seems. My local dealer will have 8-10 and most will be gone in a week except for the loaded ones.
    If your not in a big rush, talk you your dealer and he can probably get you one in 2 weeks to 2 months. They know what is being built and coming in and can also trade with other dealrs. The biggest problem is the regions decide on the options, not you
    I ran into the same problem in Orange county, Calif. One had a V6 sport and another had a V4 limited. I wanted the V6 limited w/ all the trimmings,less the tow pkg.,dvd,and 3rd row seat.
    I was assuming the wait would be at least two months w/ all I've been reading from other potential buyers. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to have it in 7days. Absolutely love it!
    I Don't know how I got so lucky w/the wait,I did have to drive up to Los Angeles, but had a blast coming back on the freeway. It has alot more "get up and go" than my Lexus RX300 that I've been driving for the last 6 years.
    I was told by two dealerships you can order any model w/any of the available colors, you just have a longer wait because its ordered direct from the factory I wanted a V6 limited in flint mica and they said "no problem"
    Huh ? What do you mean .. risk your warranty. There is no obligation to have your oil changed at the dealer. You have the right to do your own oil changes.
    That's interesting because the Flint Mica is supposed to only be available on the Sport. I hope these people aren't blowing smoke up your bottom.