Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    They seemed to know their stuff, but,I guess I'll never know, cause I settled for the savanna metallic.
    It will probably be easier to keep clean or so I've been told.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Good luck, read some of the VW and other posts here.
  • markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    For some reason steering wheel would not lock on my new 2006 Limited.
    Is steering column supposed to lock or this feature is no longer available/required due to immobilizer system installed?

Thanks!
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    Interesting to see the RAV4 on this video without the spare tire mounted on the back. This is the way I prefer.
  • moose24moose24 Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my new Rav 4 Saturday Night. I got the Limited V6 in Pacific Blue. I was able to get $1,779 off MSRP. I offered $26,100 on-line and they took it (http://www.koons.com) . The car only had 2 miles on it. I will need to get sunroof, leather, and heated seats done after market. The car is fantastic and the V6 is smooth. I sold my 5spd '04 RAV4 for the new '06 V6 and couldn't be happier. The '06 version is better in every way; well, except the cupholders. The cupholder design is horrible. Just say no to a Starbuck's Venti (too tall)...say no to a coffee cup from home with a handle (no room for a handle). No 12oz cans, those slide around, unless you place a sock around the can. This car is really perfect in every way; just don't drink and drive.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hope the guys over at the Subie forum don't disown me .. they're a great bunch of people

That's it, we disown you. :mad:

Just kidding! ;)

My choice in vans would be a Sienna, for instance. Though I'd love to see them put in the new 3.5l.

Hey, Toyota is now part-owner and certainly a Subaru partner. Hopefully they can combine HSD with Lamilion battery technology from FHI and work wonders.

Having said that, did you change your e-mail? I tried to send you a link to an article in the NY Times where I was quoted. They even put a photo in the print edition, from this past Saturday.

-juice
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    Aftermarket sunroof? Uh oh.
  • nomoretaurusnomoretaurus Member Posts: 8
    2006 RAV4 I4 FWD. Plenty of highway miles, odometer at 2,200. Best tank 25.1, worst tank 23.4. From reports on your AWD V6, I'm not getting any advantage at the pump over yours.

This is a great car, but it doesn't come anywhere close to achieving the Highway EPA.

This is my first foreign car. All of my previous sedans, minivans, and pick up trucks would at least come close to the highway rating with the cruise control on. Why so many on this forum tell us we are naive to go highway speeds and expect highway mileage?

For those of you researching the 2006 RAV4, your I4 real world mileage will please you in the city and disappoint you on the highway.
    Why? I have one, as does my wife's car. I had one previously, too. Two friends of mine had them.

None of those 5 roofs ever had any problems. ASC certifies installers to do the work. Just stick with a reputable shop.

My wife's is cool - you can even program it to close all the way from any position when you remove the ignition key.

-juice
    I guess your right.

You probably bought the wrong engine and maybe the wrong truck. At 70 plus the I4 is turning 2400-2600 rpm. The V6 is turning 1950 RPM. 70 is not the EPA highway speed. My car (Audi v6) has an instantaneous reading of MPG. Once you get above 60+ you can see the MPG drop fast.

Maybe I am confused, but I am surprised that people here expect to get 27 MPG at 70+ with a 3900#(with fuel and driver)flat faced truck (drag) that rides basically high above the ground (more drag) with roof rack (even more drag) etc.

What am I missing?
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Just got an internet price for a RAV4 V6 Limited 4x4 in Blizzard Pearl with Tow package,Moonroof,Side curtain airbags,Daytime running Lights and carpeted floor mats for 26,859.00 just wondering if this is a good price dosent include tax and title. should i take it or talk try to talk him down some?
    Doesn't the EPA highway test average something like 45 mph? Even top speed is very low.

It just doesn't represent today's driving on interstates, where 70+ is the norm.

-juice
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    3.5L plus possibly a hybrid option next Jan/Feb. Good call
    Simply because of drag there is a 20-20% decrease in FE on all vehicles. It's just physics nothing more.

If you drive 55-60 you will do about 25% better than driving at 75 mph. You are correct, jim
    Why so long a wait? Is it going to be the last V6 model to get the upgrade? Seems like it.

-juice
    Yes it will be the last right after the Highlander in the Fall. I saw on Donlen's website that the new Sienna is due in Jan/Feb 2007 I believe.

Toyota is nothing if not plodding in certain ways. 'We will change the model when it's due to change, not before'

'Unless it's the Camry and then we will do whatever is necessary to protect the position the Camry has.'

It does make for a stable environment - with a few surprises thrown in like the V6 RAV or 268 hp Avalon.
    Sounds like you were better prepared, going in with knowledge that the hwy EPA listing of 30 couldn't be true.

I went through two Aerostars(talk about drag), a Villager, and a Caravan in the 90's and when you set the cruise at less than 5 over the limit on the highway, each of them came reasonably close to the sticker on the window. Add a couple of Tauruses into the mix and my experience has been that the EPA ratings were pretty darn close to the real world.

My disappointment comes in finding that the 30 mpg rating doesn't appear to have any basis in reality. On the bright side, the boring Taurus got an average 24 mpg with my mix of driving. The RAV is tracking right there and maybe a little higher, so all I've lost were expectations.
    Never mind, it just needs 1/3 turn to get locked. On my other cars it is a little different.
  • jbucarjbucar Member Posts: 1
    I am close to buying the 2006 limited Rav. I have some questions. How is it in the snow? Is the car heavy enough? Someone told me they had one years ago and it just didn't cut it in the snow.
    Also what kinds of problems have you had with yours? I am selling my 2005 almost brand new Subaru LLBean outback because I don't like driving it. I'm hoping the 06 Rav Limited will be a different experience. Your feedback will be very helpful in my making a decision. Thanks, Jacqui
    Well in the end after holdback I guess the dealer is $1000 ahead. Probably a good price in today's market but if that was the first offer you may want to try to get them down a little more. Depends on how much of hurry you are in. Not an excess of V6 limiteds around especially if it is a color you can be happy with.
    Good luck.
    I have my own rationalization for all this MPG stuff when it is not perfect as I have posted here before:With 15,000 miles a year and $2.65/Gal(NY)the difference is about $6.00 a week for 5 MPG. Not enough to get really strung out over I hope....:)

By the way, I filled up the Audi tonight.....$3.24 a gallon for premium...YIKES. And wait till all the Chinese start driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Yeah i talked to the guy on the phone he said they would have to dealer trade for it and it would have about 200 miles on it when it arrived.it's the color i want and everything i'm a little scared of the 200 miles though
    And wait till all the Chinese start driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the absolute truth but worse yet...while China is 5 times bigger than we are, India is also 3 times bigger than we are and both are just into puberty so to speak in consumer development.... and we are reaching the Peak Oil point.

We essentially will pay for gas whatever the Chinese and Indian's decide that we will pay simply as a result of their respective HUGE consumer demands.

$5/gal without additional taxes is definitely realistic in the not too distant future. It'll make me change jobs. :(
  • tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    Trying to make sense of the MPG figures I see posted on the 4 verses 6. What are the final drive ratio's? looking to compare the RPM's at highway speeds.

Trying to make an economic and informed decision

Thanks
    Video link that demonstrates snow performance,
    link title
    Respects to RAV4WORLD

No personall experience in snow, it does stick to the pavement.
  • cornmonkeycornmonkey Member Posts: 2
    hi, i'm in the market for the exact same trim/options. unfortunately, i haven't been able to find one nearly anywhere the price you got yours for.. would you mind emailing me the contact info for the salesman at rancho santa margarita? you can find my email addy in my user profile.
    Well I know the V6 is 1940 RPM at 70 MPH as I drove several. Don't remember the I4 numbers but I think closer to like 2500-2600. There are I4 owners here can tell you.
    My guess is with a light foot the V6 will do close to I4 numbers at 70 but still that will not be 30 MPG! Around town the I4 will do better with a lite foot. The V6 power and response is very nice.

The I4 4 speed AWD final drive ratio is same as V6 but the 4th gear ratio is 1.019 and the V6 5th gear is .756 or 26% lower!
    The 200 miles is nothing! This is common when they trade cars. When I got my Audi they had to trade with a dealer in CT and it came with 149 miles.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    I just picked an 06 Limited. No snow to test it in but I had a 1997 Rav4 for 5 years and it went through everything here in CT. Assuming you are getting the 4wd version I wouldn't worry. It's a blast to drive.
  • tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, sorry was looking for both the final ratio and the 4 gear ratio, for the 4 speed and 5th ratio for the 5 speed. Would seem on the surface that a v6 with that 5th ratio would be pretty good in comaprision to the I4 on highway driving without tromping on the gas all the time. Thoughts? Where did you get the trany spec's?

Rich
    In December I found a set of preliminary RAV4 specs on the net. Try a google search on "2006 RAV4 prelininary specs". It has much more detail than what Toyota site provides now. It is a pdf file but no way to send it from here easily.

By the way the V6 throttle was very sensitive to me, especially at tip in when starting off.
    My '06 I4 FWD turns about 2,500 at 70.
    On long moderate inclines (western Missouri prairie and central Kansas, so we're not talking mountains here) it will downshift with just me and a briefcase in the car.
  • rukindrukind Member Posts: 17
    Anyone know what changes will be between 2006 and 2007 models?
    If your in the NY area and looking for a V6 Limited,I saw loaded one at Sunrise Toyota on Long Island tonight. Silver and seems to have every thing including leather. No 3rd row seat.
  • battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    F.Y.I...If you are near the Orange county area ,check on two other places. I got a great price at "Cabe Toyota" of Long Beach.
    AND..
    "Power Toyota" in Irvine off of Research and Lake Forest, had both comparably prices and actual RAV4's to test drive. Just a thought!!
    I cannot locate 115V power outlet in my 2006 RAV4 Limited.
    It is not in the central console where I expected it to be.
    I camp a lot and it is important for me.
    I would appreciate any help. Thanks
  • ahhhondaahhhonda Member Posts: 2
    I believe that the 115V power outlet only comes with systems that have the rear seat DVD option installed. I'm guessing that would be installed somewhere accessible to the rear seat passengers.
    Everything I have read says it is only with the DVD option which I believe is "nonobtainium" as of now.
    Whatever is on the picture - 12V and AUX outlets. That is exactly what I have.
    How about other RAV-4 Limited owners. Can you confirm that you have the same thing as I do?
    Thanks!
  • gracejoangracejoan Member Posts: 11
    I recently acquired a new RAV 4 Limited 4 cyl...leather, power, heated seats and other goodies. My 4th RAV.

I looked at the specs for both the RAV and the Highlander and can't believe that Toyota would have two vehicles with such close specs. It would seem that they would be thinking of eliminating one of them. What do you think??
    gracejoan,

Read back in this thread going back to Nov/dec. Next Fall the new Highlander will be out and it will be much bigger and much nicer than the current one. The V6 will be the same as the RAV but it will likely start where the RAV stops; i.e. ~ $29000 and go up to just under $40000. In Toyota's 'utility vehicle' line you now have the choice of
    xB starting at $12900
    Matrix starting at $15900
    RAV starting at $21900
    Highlander starting at $28900 ( next year )
    Rx350 starting at $40000 ( next year )
    So for a Toyota buyer there is a vehicle for just about every budget.

Toyota does this with all it's vehicles. It 'preps' the new vehicle with the addition or major revision of the vehicle just next to it. Essentially the RAV replaces the dead Highlander 4c and prepares the way for the revised Highlander next year.

Both the Avalon and the Camry XLE both support the new Lexus ES350.
  • bali3bali3 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered V6 LTD 4WD SILVER with the following options.
    Side Curtain Airbags.
    Sunroof/Moonroof
    Towing Package(dont like but it comes with the package)
    carpet floor/Cargo mat
    Daytime running lamps.

MSRP price : 29,829 after couple of hours in the phone talk and one hour personal talk agreed to give $26,000..
    IS it a good price??
    If your deal is for real it's $1000 under invoice. Since I imagine that you did your homework beforehand I guess you know it is and would like a pat on the back. Very very well done!!

But....

$1000 under invoice???????? Really? On a vehicle that many can't even get to test drive, yet you find a store that suddenly rolled over and played dead and let it go at a $1000 loss? Hmmmm... truly excellent negotiating. Well done sir.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to take a look at Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience -- and post yours! :)

tidester, host
  • karlzunikarlzuni Member Posts: 20
    If you don't mind saying, how good a price did you get, before I drive all the way up from San Diego. Thanks
  • llkc04llkc04 Member Posts: 10
    I just got an invoice faxed to me and want to know what a few things are.
    TDA....593.00
    dealer hildback....489.00
    Whol. Financial Reserve...244.00
    What is TDA? What is Whol. Financial reservve? And I didn't think I was responsable for paying dealer holdback? These were listed as things that would be included in the cost of the car. Total invoice including all the normal things 25414.00 Limited v-6, sunroof, side air bags, toe prep and running lights. also what would be good to offer. msrp 27039.00
    thanks for help in advance...never bought a new car before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looking up True Market Value will give you the real invoice. Toyota used to list holdback on their invoices; not sure if they still do. Holdback is repaid to the dealer by Toyota, not the consumer (link).

TDA is an ad fee and Edmunds considers that to be legit. It's not included in the invoice because it varies by region (but is accounted for in the TMV number). There's a whole discussion devoted to it:

Toyota Advertising Fees

I think financial reserve is just another name for additional dealer profit ... it's easier just to see what others are paying, check the TMV and make an out the door offer. That way you don't need to worry about or waste time negotiating the various line items.

Don't forget to visit Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too.

Steve, Host
    Steve: It seems the only way to get to the prices paid forum is always via your link. If I go to RAV4 forums, prices paid is not listed.
    What is up with that?
  • sweathogsweathog Member Posts: 6
    I have the 4x4 V6 with about 600mi.

First Tank - 21.5mpg
    Second Tank - 22mpg
    Third Tank - pending...

I too traded in a Subaru WXR and I was averaging about 23 with that, but on premium. I got a decent deal.

They gave me 15000 for a 2003 WRX Wagon with 54000 miles
    and I paid about 26000 for the sport w/moonroof/towing package/6CD stereo