Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• snowman12snowman12 Member Posts: 7
    You are right. I checked the pressure. All tires were 37. Adjusted them to 33.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well keep us posted on gas milage etc. and good luck with it
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I'm located in northeast Illinois. Snow has not been much of a factor around here for many years. You're right, I should just wait till I get the AWD Rav4. Today it was raining and I even got wheelspin starting in second gear and putting the pedal about a third of the way down. I have Michelin Pilot XT tires, which are supposed to be very good on wet roads. At the nearby dealers, the RAV4s in stock are about 90% base models, with very few Sport or Limited. Pleanty of V6's, but they are all FWD only. At one Toyota dealer, there are only two 2006 RAV4s on the lot. They must be selling very well.
    Well I keep track of the RAV4 deliveries in the SE region as that site (build and buy with zip 34423) provides more info than most. That region has between 600-1400 RAV4s in or coming over a two week period. Of that less than 5% are V6 AWD Liimited or Sport so with demand high they are hard to find. But I notice at my local dealers the Limiteds seem to stay for sale the longest. I will buy a 2007 since I don't need it until December and if they never bring the Sport V6 with side curtains into the NY region then I will end up at Fitzmall I guess. One guy here flew there from AK and drove it home so it is possible.
  • hendobombhendobomb Member Posts: 2
    I finally decided on the Sport V6, but I'm unsure if the 4wd is a worthy addition. I drive in the snow and mountains about 10 days out of the year, and drive in the rain about 75 days in a year. I'm wondering if the the VSC and traction control are enough or is the 4wd drive a great addition in any type of road? Does every one agree that V6 is also the way to go? Thank you.
  • hendobombhendobomb Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the 2007 will arrive and if its true they are adding bluetooth?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Probably Sept/Oct. I believe yes the '07 RAV will get BT since the JBL 440w 6 disc + BT option seems to be well accepted on the new Camry. I'd also guess that Navi will be offered as well.
    Well the V6 Sport will be the answer for me as I like the extra performance when I need it but it is $1800 or so extra so if you are pinching pennies you might think it over. You really should drive both engine versions.

The AWD is good to have and on resale I have convinced myself I will get 50% of the cost back and the vehicle will be easier to sell but that is your choice. I think the V6 will return some of the cost to on resale also but it is just conjecture/rationalization here!
  • fistandbonefistandbone Member Posts: 3
    The V6 Sport 4WD is available in Massachusetts and side airbags are part of the standard package, along with moonroof, 6-Disc CD Changer, and Tow Prep package. I picked one up in late March for $1000 over Edmunds' invoice.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    I JUST got back from picking up my V6 LTD 4x4 w/ 3rd Row Seat. I have been searching through multiple dealers over the past month and a half, and have only learned of less than a dozen in existence on the East Coast. I made the trip down to MD from NY to get this one that had everything I wanted. Driving it home to NY this afternoon was a dream, even MORE power and nicer ride than I remembered from the test drive.
    You got it from Fitzmall and if so how did it go dealing with them? Keep us posted on MPG etc.
    Good luck with it
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    The tire pressure transmitters are indeed on the inside of the wheels on the vlave stems. I assume if you put them with the existing valve stems on the new wheels the tire pressure monotering system will work, otherwise the light on the dash will be lit all the time
  • tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    Congrat's what arrangements did you have to make with them for out of state registration? I'm looking at them for a Sport V6 while I'm down for a wedding.

:confuse:
    I dealt w/ DARCARS not Fitz. They did very well for me. If you want the V6 LTD w/ 3rd row seats, good luck. There are so few out there right now. I would recommend DARCARS as they were fair with me, and the service when I arrived in MD to pick up the car was very thorough.
    The gave me a temp MD reg., and I am out the door to DMV to get it registered in NY now. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • toxtox Member Posts: 3
    flyingn:
    Thanks for your assistance.....I sent the questions to tirerack.com but have yet to hear back from them. If the transponders are on the valve stems I could be in luck.
    Cheers! Tox
  • tnrunnertnrunner Member Posts: 5
    This is my first post, but was moved to do so by the posts re BMW. I drove 3 series BMWs for five years until traded last week for a RAV4 Ltd.V-6, 2WD. Love the RAV. The RAV 6 cyl. is smoother, quieter and more powerful than the 6 in the BMW 325i. I'm 6ft., and I have plenty of headroom, even with the sunroof. Yokohama tires are excellent. Only odd thing I have noticed is that the outside temp. gauge is about 10 degrees off, on the high side, in sun or shade. Guess I'll call the dealer. By the way, purchased from Fox Toyota in Clinton, Tennessee, and couldn't have had a more enjoyable buying experience (although I did have to wait a month for the vehicle to arrive).
  • hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    For those of you who purchased the remote start, can you share some opinions on what you think of it, how it works, and what you paid for it? A dealer quoted me $700 for the remote start and that seems really high.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Clinton is big enough to have a car dealer...??

As in the Clinton between Savannah and Waynesboro...?
  • toxtox Member Posts: 3
    I received a response from a local Toyota Service Manager:

If the RAV4 wheels have a rubber valve stem - the TPMS is controlled by the ABS system and there is no problem installing "non-Toyota" wheels.

If the RAV4 wheels have a metal valve stem - the TPMS transponder is bolted to the wheel...but it can be removed (unbolted) and fastened to the new (non-Toyota) wheel.

I may have to go to a tire shop and have them remove one of my tires (spare) to confirm what's going on in there.
    Cheers! Tox
    Was near impossible to find, but here's what I got:
    2006 RAV4 LTD V6
    FE - 50 State Emission
    TO - Tow Prep
    SR - Moon Roof
    RL - Running Lights
    MF - Mud Guards
    EJ - JBL Radio
    GY - Side Air Curtains
    TH - Third Row Seat
    CF - Floor Mats

$28547 OTD, before taxes/title at DARCARS in MD.

I'll let you know when I get some MPG figures.
  • toyzruletoyzrule Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any special hints on how one can go about finding one of these gems on the west coast? Good grief... I've been on the phone to multiple dealers and hearing a lot of laughter on the other end.

Any inside tips would be appreciated...:)
    So what do you think of the handling of the RAV4 vs. the BMW 3 series?
  • carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I'm trying to decide between the two engines and could use some current owners' input. I do 80% of my driving in the city (CT), so I'm leaning towards the 4cyl with 4wd for mileage reasons, but am wonder if it will feel underpowered/too heavy with that setup. I've read several posts that make it seem like the V6 gets fairly similar mileage. So, if anybody can weigh in on the 4cyl 4wd vs the V6 4wd in terms of performance and mileage, that would be great. Thanks!
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    Does the toyota rav 4 engine run quietly on city street and on the highway?
  • clementosisclementosis Member Posts: 3
    Don't take this the wrong way, keep calling every dealership in your general area. I called dealerships every week for two months, and on every trip I took. I finally stumbled upon my RAV 550 miles away from home and purchased it sight unseen. (it was delayed at the freight yard)I had to get home for work the next day. One dealer will laugh and the other guy down the road wil have three coming in that day. The only issue is that you have work the dealer because they don,t have to worry about calling you. P.S. Walser toyota in Minneapolis was awesome they drove the RAV to me in Rapid City SD for free...If you find one buy it.
  • clementosisclementosis Member Posts: 3
    I thought the 4cyl was fine, it did everything I asked of it... but I suggest splurging on V6, I your like most toyota owners and plan on keeping the car for a while, go for it. The V6 is like a rocket, and even though I don't get on it alot, I enjoy knowing I have more than enough power for any situation. I suggest the V6 definitely
  • toyzruletoyzrule Member Posts: 5
    Hey thanks for the encouragement.

I did just find one down in Oregon, (I'm in AK) but I'm a little leary 'cuz the dealer won't commit on the mileage. He found it at another dealership, and they have to do a vehicle swap deal. I'm worried I'll get stuck with miles I don't want after spending $30,000+ and $1000- to ship it up here. It's a hurry up and give me your deposit situation that freaks me out a bit. :( :lemon:
    Goes without saying, but YOU should testdrive both. I did and the 4 felt "adequate", but then I drove the 6, and never looked back. Only had it 2 days now, but LOVE the 6, and the MPG according to the book isnt supposed to be that much of a loss to go for the gusto.
    What are the benifits of remote start? The only one I can see is if you live in a bitterly cold area and want to allow some warm up do you don't have to get n a frozen car.. Otherwise it seems like a lot of money for something that results in extra gas use and wear on your engine going no place while it "warms up"?
  • hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    I've heard rumors that when using the remote start the vehicle turns off when you unlock the doors to get in or when you put the key in the ignition.
  • sweathogsweathog Member Posts: 6
    I too am in Connecticut. I had great luck, I was thinking about getting the V6 RAV and I wasnt sure about the Sport or Limited. Personally it didn't really matter as long as it had the Moonroof and 6 CD changer. I happened to stop by Hartford Toyota on Monday afternoon and they had a V6 4x4 Sport in Black just sitting there. It had just rolled off the truck an hour before, so 2 days later my Subaru Impreza WRX matured into a 4X4 V6 RAV4 Sport. :) So far I love the RAV, getting abou 22MPG average, but It's still under 1000 miles.
    So what equipment and what did you pay?
  • tecsol1tecsol1 Member Posts: 7
    What options and price verses MSRP. Can't wait to hear! I'm 15 miles south of there where I work!
  • orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Got mine last night.

FE, GY, RL, SR, TO, CF

Sticker $28,439
    Invoice = $25,718 (via nadaguides.com)
    My price = $25,990 ($272 over invoice).

If you are in the Chicagoland region, don't waste your time with any other dealer than Grossinger.

Every other dealer was giving me an internet price of $500 below sticker, one was $900 below sticker.

They said they'd deal on the 4X2's but not on the 4X4's because they were so hot and hard to get.

Grossinger beat everyone by $1,600-$2,000.

Here is a cool search engine for inventory in the Chicagoland region.

http://www.drivechicago.com/InventorySearch.aspx?Type=new

This vehicle glides down the road like it was in a controlled ice slide...very smooth.

Very nice acceleration from 60-70 mph when attempting to pass other vehicles.
  • g00b2g00b2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Stealth! I'm from Toronto too and I was wondering if you could pass along some of the information you got from Car Cost Canada? Is it useful?
    Thanks!
    Went to register RAV4 in NY that I bought in MD, and found out that I have to wait couple weeks for the paperwork to include the certificate of origin, arrives. My understandiing is that the dealership will cut me check for the tax that I paid, that I have to turn directly over to DMV in NY. Odd how it works, but I guess they HAVE to collect the tax at time of sale. Until then, I'm still good on my 60 day temp tag.

I also found that the tires were at 37 PSI, so I brought them back down to specs. Wouldnt have thought of that without this site.
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    The I4 is definitely NOT underpowered/too heavy!
    That I can guaranty for sure. Anyone who drives both engines will NEVER say..."man, the 4 is way better than the 6!!!" But, since you're talking 80% city driving,
    you're not going to be able to burn much rubber with the V6
    anyhow. On my last trip with the I4, I got 27.25 mpg on
    50% highway (65 mph), 25% rural two lane roads(50-60 mph), 25% small towns (at
    35 mph with stop lights etc.)
    --------------------
    I would agree. While I prefer the V6, it is a mini hot rod, highway hauler choice. In city stop and go etc, you can't really take advantage of it and the I4 will be more economical with more than enough power. How much power do you need to get to 35-45 MPH in stop and go traffic...not 269HP.. Unless your 17!
  • implicatedimplicated Member Posts: 1
    I've gone through 3 full tanks of gas on my 2006 RAV4 LTD 4wd 4cyl and haven't cracked 17 mpg yet. Very disappointed, especially since every comment I read has people doing much better.

Dealer's giving me the "still breaking enginge in come back at 5K miles" line, but I don't buy that. I'd expect to see fluctuation if that were the case, with an improving trend. I'm getting a consistent 16.5mpg.

This is a 60/40 mix between city/highway. Definitely not a lead foot or stop light dragster.

Anyone getting similar performance to my car.
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    Hi implicated. I'm not sure if you meant to direct your comment at me or not. Your mileage sounds suspiciously low. I would see what others say on this matter and then go after your dealer again if things don't improve soon. If it's any consolation, my fuel economy has actually gone down some since that first fill-up. The last two fill-ups have been ~22 mpg (U.S.) although I've been doing almost exclusively short-run, city driving. Good luck with this.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    'suspiciously low....' agreed.

Similar first time posts on the 2007 Camry forum recently. Hmmm. ;)
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I just filled up for the 2nd time. 1st tank = 24.2 mpg and 2nd tank 26.1. Both tanks were a mix of highway & local driving (I wouldn't call it city). I have to admit that I've been driving like an old lady so far trying to let the engine break in. I'm sure if you put your foot down a change will be seen in mileage.
    - hutch
    Wow! I would consider that very good milage for the V6 with a new engine. The lite throttle foot approach helps I am sure. Keep us posted after you break it in and smoke the tires every day for a while...:)
    Well now that the RAV4 V6 is here do you think NASCAR will establish a small SUV racing class?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think 26.1 is the best so far.

By my recollection, we still have half the V6s reporting below 20mpg, the other half above 20mpg. So 20 is the median mileage.

-juice
    Clinton, TENNESSEE, twenty miles from Knoxville
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I attribute the excellent mileage to an "Ol' Lady" driving style. However, keeping your foot light on the gas is not going to be possible over the long haul. It's just too tempting to step on it a little. I noticed today that I'm becoming use to the driving dynamics of this vehicle and as a result my speed in corners is picking up. It has been a radical re-think from the WRX. Juice, you know me .. this slow and easy stuff won't last.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    So you're saying that after the 1000 miles break-in, you'll be back here reporting the worst numbers we've seen so far? ;)

And no, I don't remember your driving at all. I try to block out any traumatic near-death experiences like that. :D

(inside joke: at Edmunds Live in 2000, Hutch had the mini-SUVs doing 4 wheel drifts in the slalom, setting land speed records in the process)

-juice
    The handling of the BMW 325i was better, but the RAV is close enough that I don't miss the Beamer, if that makes sense. The biggest difference I notice is in the braking, where the BMW rules. I needed the extra room of the RAV for a three year old, car seat, etc., and for that sort of thing the RAV is perfect. I test drove a 4 cyl RAV, and it was fine. But the V-6 was just too sweet to pass up.