Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please use the "feedback" link at the bottom of this page if you think the numbers are in error.

Thanks!

tidester, host
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Good choice, glad you didn’t settle for less. I basically stumbled into my deal as well. I absolutely had to have the Everglade Metallic with ash interior 4x4 (4 cyl) nowhere to be found in my area. I sold my 05’ SE Camry private party, it was coming down to the day, the title was in hand and the deal needed to get done!

I would have had to drive 200 miles one way to get what I wanted, however the dealer I was working with in town had a Blizzard Pearl like yours coming in that weekend. I drove up and looked at it once it came in off the truck and decided it was worth settling for the different color and the upgrade to the V6. I used the same logic passed onto you about the difference in price. The $3K addition amortized over the duration of ownership was the main reason I submitted to the deal………sometimes things happen for a reason, I sleep well and enjoy it more every time I drive it, the engine is very user friendly, much better than my 04’ Sienna AWD LE.

Have fun with it, glad you’re happy as well. Now go on EBAY and get some mud flaps to keep that paint shiny and new! Although I haven’t seen the Black Limited in person, I’m sure it’s very “tight looking” as the kids would say ;)
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Check out this and see exactly what the maintenence is for the new Rav4
    http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?v=15&y=2006&int_id=1
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well I know they are supposed to be reliable But your approach seems to be don't check anything until you hear a noise or the car quits. When you take it in every 5000 miles for an oil changes, is there not a charge for labor for basic checks they do for things wearing etc like belts, brakes, leaks or do you just assume it is all good till a light comes on or the engine quits? Also in 5 years it is possible a car needs tires ($500-600), balanceing etc.
    $1000 is not much for 5 yrs I think even with good luck and reliability.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's not a complete laissez faire attitude but rather than let the store 'up sell' me on what 'should be' done I tend listen more to the vehicle. In 500,000+ miles in Camry's ( which required timing belts ) I've spent precious little after the first vehicle.

Oil & filters
    Once a year winterization
    80,000 mi tires ( Michelins )
    AT fluid change if necessary
    Rotate tires and inspect brakes

There isn't a whole lot more to do on the new vehicles especially since the timing chains were introduced a couple of years back.

After 150,000 miles ( 5 yrs for me ) things do start to wear thin so seals etc may have to be replaced.

With coupons - and buying from the right location - a lot of the maintenance costs can be reduced or eliminated.
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    Does anyone know where I can find a hood protector (bug shield) for this 2006 RAV4? I searched high and low on the internet and can't find place that would even acknowledge that they exist. What gives?
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I have had my RAV4 for two days now. Today, I took the tollway to work about 11 miles away. I parked in a parking spot on the end, as usual, and no-one could have parked to my right. I left work and a short time later noticed that the outside mirror was folded back. I stopped and put it in the right spot. I can't imagine anyone walking by could have bumped it when it was parked. All I can think of is that I had hit about 75MPH on the drive in. Is it posible that the air pressure folded it? I've had foldable mirrors before, but have never seen on fold back at highway speeds. The mirrors are a nice size. Has anyone else seen this happen?
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    It takes a fair amount of force to move the mirrors. There is no way that air pressure moved them.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Someone may have bumped it out of the locked position and it folded after driving a while. I've hit just over 100mph for a short sprint and mine never folded. IIRC, Car and Driver tested it to its top speed of 129 mph with no mention of the mirrors folding. Car washes will fold them, tho.
    Thanks!!
    :shades:
    Thanks to quickdtoo I now have my hood protector on order! I'm now looking to buy a Gentex Homelink mirror but was wondering if anyone know if there is a harness or power already provisioned under the headliner next to the stock mirror. I have the 4X4 "Limited" RAV4 trim. Does anyone know?
    There's a sticky on installing a mirror w/Homelink in the 4.3 Interior forum at Rav4world.com
    See the other sites mentioned here for extensive info. If you have the sunroof, the install is easy as power is available in the overhead where the lights are by tapping into the sun roof power source. See links

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2714

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2523

No sunroof, then you have to run the wires around the windshield and down under the dash per the mirror instructions.
  • hhartzehhartze Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I have a 06 Limited Silver 4x4 4 cyl (very happy with it so far :) ). Question-i'm thinking of taking it through the car wash for the first time-what do i do with that wrongly placed antennae??? It doesn't seem like I can fold it down or anything and I don't want it to brake....any other car wash advice to save the Rav from scratches would be great too-thanks!
    You can remove the antennae simply by unscrewing it for the car wash, turn it counter-clockwise to remove. that's the recommendation in the owner's manual on page 171. But, I've been thru twice with it installed, it worked fine. I asked the car wash owner, he said it shouldn't be a problem.
    Uh oh, just got an email from Protrim, the hood protector is back ordered 4-6 weeks! :cry:
    Thanks! I found that last night too and ordered the Homelink mirror for $189!

re the Hood protector that I ordered - I received a note this morning that it's back ordered (6 weeks or more. Of course, that wasn't apparent when they took my money yesterday. I'm trying to cancel the order. Any idea who else may carry these? Thanks!!
    Me too! I just found this reply after posting my last reply... Any ideas? If I find something I'll let you know!
    There's a small one from Toyota, but I don't know if it's available yet.

The Canadian version is bigger, part #PT427-42060, it covers the headlight brows, cost is about $105 plus shipping which is high compared to domestic shipping. I live on the west coast so I order from Peace Arch Toyota in Surrey, BC. Will probably wait for the Benevento, tho.

AutoVentShade has one, part number is #24139, telephone number is 1-888-588-6049, last time I looked it wasn't in their online catalog yet. It's not as wide as the Benevento or Canadian version, but wider than the US version and fits real close to the hood which would make cleaning under it a pita.
    Thanks once again. I do like the Benevento but every retailer/re seller is listing it as "back ordered". Not sure if there are production problems or what, but I'm guessing that the 6 weeks estimate will be off (worse, not better). Until your post, I haven't found anything else...
    Here's a post on the AutoVentShade unit...

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35019&highlight=#35019
    Found one - I started calling local Toyota dealers... no one had any. Then I called the place where I bought the car and they had one in stock - they sold it to me at cost, $80+tax! I've already installed it on my new rig! Thanks for your help!
  • mackronmackron Member Posts: 2
    I would like to install an aftermarket overhead system but have been told that the model I am interested in (Sony 8")would pull down the headliner. The retailer suggested I select a lighter weight model from a different manufacturer, but I was not impressed with the others. Has anyone installed an aftermarket player........what brand/model, professionally installed?
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Well, after 4 days, I filled up my 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD. The fill-up took 12.433 gallons. The odometer said 274 miles, but the it had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. Therefore, if I base the average MPG on the 274, it got 22.04 MPG. If I just use the 263 miles I drove it, I got 21.15 MPG. The miles were about 50-50 Hwy/City. I got a very consistant 21 to 22 MPG on my 1999 Camry V6 5 speed manual which used premium fuel (reccomended). With the RAV4, I'm back to regular fuel, so I'm saving about 20 cents per gallon. So, I am getting the same MPG with 76 more HP and about 400 more pounds of weight. I'm very happy. In about 2 weeks, I will be driving a 300 mile round trip almost entirely on expressway. I'll then report my HWY MPG.

One more note. I used the fog lights today. They are very bright, much better than the Camty's were.
  • ahhhondaahhhonda Member Posts: 2
    I've got a V6 Sport 4x4 and have filled up twice now. On both tanks I have gotten 22mpg. I know that I'll end up a little lower than this after I have it broken in, but I'll be happy with anything over 20mpg and these V6's are certainly capable of it. Love this vehicle so far!
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Go to new car section of Edmunds and look up consumer reviews for the RAV4.
  • garyweissberggaryweissberg Member Posts: 14
    Hi, Let me clear the air. Toyota marketing and engineering :mad: blundered the interior design of the 2006 RAV 4 when the 3rd seat is included as an option. The 40% seat will not collapse to a flat posistion and therefore you cannot fit a sheet of plywood to lay down flat inside of the car upon closing rear door the locked mode. No one knew as to sales and service that this was the case for this specific feature therefore I am asking Toyota to retro a normal 2nd seat used on the 2 row version or take the car back. Gary
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    I have a V6 with the 3rd Row seat. Mine folds flat. Are you sure you are using the correct lever?? On the 40 split side, there are actually 2 separate levers in one. One you pull and the seat slides forward and folds to about 45 degrees to make it easker to get in the back seat. The other lever you pull on and the seat folds completely flat. Let me know if this helps.
  • hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    Ordered a 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 4x4 with the following options for $28,137 + Tax & Tags. Basically has everything except DVD.

FE - Fifty-state Emissions Package
    EJ - JBL Audio System with 6-disc CD Changer, MP3 Capability, 440 Watt,9 speakers
    GY - Side- and Side-Curtain Airbags
    HD - Heated Seats
    LA - leather Trim Seats
    RL - Daytime Running Lights
    SR - Power Moonroof
    TO - Tow Prep Package
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    does it fold flat or not...I understand the second row seats are split 60 / 40 and one or both can collapse flat. The 3rd row seat is not split at all, or so I thought. I thought I understood the 3rd row seat completely folds flat. I'd assume both the 2nd row AND 3rd row can be folded flat atthe same time. I think klunkman needs to be more descriptive.....please...is he saying that with the 3rd row option collapsed into the floor you can not collapse all or part of the second row....that would be a major blunder and likely eliminate my desire for the third row seat......anyone else with a 3rd row ever try collapsing both the 2nd and 3rd rows?
    I own one w/ 3rd row seats. The third row, is actually 2 separate 50/50 type units. They both collapse into the floor. You can just pull one up if you like, and have the other half flat for cargo. They can both fold flat into the floor for 5 passenger seating and a ton of room for cargo behind. You can fold both the second row 60/40's completely flat for 2 passenger seating and even MORE cargo space. OR you can fold the 40 side completely flat for 4 passenger seating and cargo. OR you can fold the 60 side completely flat for 3 passenger seating and cargo. We traded in a Kia Sedona minivan, and we really have more usuable space with the RAV4 because we have 7 passenger seating AVAILABLE, but only rarely use. With our old van, to get the extra cargo space, you had to physically remove the third row seats and leave them behind in the garage to get much useful cargo space.
    With the seats all folded flat, I measured out about 42" x 68" flat floor space between wheel wells, a bit more on width if it was plywood tilted, but don't think you could fit a full length of 4'x8' inside. 4' x 4' sure.
  • wijhwkwijhwk Member Posts: 7
    i am looking at similar options, what area are you in? thanks.
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    hells
    that seems like a good deal. I got all that and remote start for $28,800, with an invoice of $30,800.
  • mc94087mc94087 Member Posts: 6
    Hi - I ordered a RAV4 LTD V6 4x4 with LA,SR,GY,HD,EJ options in Pacific Blue from a dealer about 6 weeks ago. At the time, they said to expect delivery in 6 weeks. To date, they have said that there haven't been any RAV4 LTD V6 4x4 with leather delivered to the SF Bay Area.

I haven't called other dealers to verify this yet, but was wondering if any of you know if this is truly the case. Additionally, what does it mean when they order a car for me? Is there actually an order in the system with my options? Or, do they just look for a car that's shipping to the area the meets my requirements and sell to me when it arrives?

Sorry for all the questions, but starting to get a little impatient with the process. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hi Sayers1
    Thanks so much for the up date but one of the levers appears to be releasing the seat to move forward and both allow it to go to a 45% posistion. No matter what lever or sequence I move them in I can only get the 40 split seat to collapse to a 45 degree angle.
    If yours works then I have a factory defect which was maybe corrected before you took delivery. When did you receive your car? Is it a USA version?
    I got mine in January M. in CA USA
    I just got off the phone with Toyota Customer Car and since I moved to SD in CA they are arranging another dealership to inspect my car and the details of my complaint. If they BS me again that the 2nd row 40 split seat is stationary to 45% max then maybe I could ask if you could email of the seat collapsed. I hope your car is the true example for all versions of the 3rd row seat option
    Wariest rgds Gary
    The lower of the 2 handles should be releasing it to go completely flat. May be a defect, or maybe even a cable that isn't hooked up right under the seat somewhere on yours. The dealership should be able to fix it, but as it is a new feature, they may need to research a little to figure out how to do it.
    I picked mine up from Maryland April 17, USA version.
    If you need a picture of it laying flat, let me know, I'll email you one, but it sounds like whoever you spoke with before didn't have a clue about what they were talking about. Of course it's supposed to lay completely flat!
    Hi Yah,
    Again thanks so much. Ill update ASAP when I meet with the SD Sevicing dealer.ttyl Gary
    How do you like the remote start? Does the car turn off when you open a door or insert the key?
    I know I'm being picky, but has anyone else noticed the rampant use of "V4". Isn't the 4 cylinder an inline, "I4"?
    Well I have seen pictures on the net of 3rd row seats collapsed flat (both) and stowed in the well (both).
    I think at the www.tundra. site or something like that.
    Toyota is not so dumb as to make the stow half ...as...ed.
    You are picky....and it is an in line 4. Actually if it was a V4 then they could put more cup holders under the hood maybe....:)
    http://prg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/2006_Rav4.pdf

This is the Reference Guide on the Toyota website for the 06 RAV4. If you didn't get a hard copy of it when you got the vehicle, maybe you should print it up and take it with you to the dealer to show THEM how the seat is supposed to work.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just load it on the roof rack. I doubt there is 4' between the wheel wells anyway, and it's only going to tear up your interior carpet and cloth.

-juice
    Well was not the guy with the seat trouble but thanks for the info.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Nothing wrong with fixing incorrect statements.
    44" between the wheel wells, 52.5" wide above the wheel wells. About 74" from the door inside to the back of the front seats with them set at a normal driving position.

Not enough room in any dimension for a sheet of ply. Use the roof rack.
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    I ordered it on Feb. 23rd and the dealer called last week and said it would be here in two weeks, so I don't know yet, but I have read that it turns off when you get in as a security feature?
    I used the remote start for the first time today, the weather turned cold last night, windshield was froze over, so I used used it, worked great. It shuts the engine down after 10 minutes automatically or when the unlock button or key is used to unlock the car.
    quickdtoo (or anyone else),

What's the range of the remote start?