Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The color matches perfect, they don't have any markings on them or on the shipping box, just part number labels with Toyota Canada on them. They're marked special order on the invoice, so I don't know who the supplier is, but they are offered as an accessory on the http://www.toyota.ca web site in the accessories configurator which is pretty kool, you can choose the vehicle model and color and see what each accessory looks like.

You need to open a UPS Occasional account to allow the Toyota dealer to charge shipping to. You'll need to register at UPS to do that, everything is explained on their web site http://www.ups.com

The hood protector was normally $100, but I got a new car discount at my dealer, $65 plus tax. Easy to install, just follow the pretty good instructions.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My wife wants her Disney Plate back on the front of her 06 RAV. My dealer said there was no license plate bracket kit; just to buy a frame and use self tapping screws....does this sound right? Anyone try it...is it secure?

THANKS quickdtoo for the moulding info. I must contact them. Perhaps they can get the chip guard for the hood too!
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Thats the way it is on both my 03 and 05 Highlanders, and my daughter's 03 Camry. I hate to spoil the clean front end look with a plate if my state doesn't require a front plate.

For what it's worth, if you have to put one on, it IS secure.
  • doctyphoondoctyphoon Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone found a color & model combination that they really consider a headturner, one that would draw you eyes in a crowded parking lot, for example? The closest I have seen was a Sport in black, with the larger silver wheels seeming to stand out nicely. The other one I have seen that is worth mentioning is the Blizzard Pearl Ltd., it had a refined look that caught my eye.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    None of the RAV4 colors are anything to write home about.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    NY requires a front plate. I hated to do it, but tapped into the front grill. It is very secure. I put 4 screws in so it isn't going anywhere. If you only put the top 2, it could potentially flap around. There are 2 dimples for the top 2, but measuring up the plate I had to adjust down a tad, so the bottom holes would like up with the grill on the bottom 2.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    The only headturner in my book would be "School Bus Yellow" kind of like the X-TERRA or the Isuzu Vehicross.
    Here's a pic of what it might look like.... :surprise:
    http://www.japcar.ru/autowallpapers/isuzu/isuzu_vehicross_1024x768_4.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :shades:
  • 2sachse2sachse Member Posts: 5
    We finally got this vehicle. 2x4, V6 limited, third row, tow pack, air bags, mud flaps, day time run lights, and a ridiculous dealer fluff package 'Extra Mileage Package B' (carpet mats, superfulous edge trim and pin stripes I made them remove, first aid kit, 100k mile tire warranty, other misc dealer profit). I HATE that, but Gulf States adds it to everything. Paid $26,000. I've never had such a hard time finding a vehicle, but it worked out in the end. Seems one RAV4 equipped this way per color per ships to Gulf States region and most are presold. Well, we bought a barcelona red one at the end of April when the original presale fell through.

First tank of gas got 21 MPG 100% city and lots of jackrabbiting. That gas pedal takes some getting used to. HUGE change from my 2002 Suburban. Obviously.

Still need to deal with the fact that the 'tow package' doesn't actually include anything you need to actually tow - like the hitch or wiring harness. That's irritating. The tow package on my Suburban included the alternator, wiring, transmission cooler, AND the hitch and wiring, so I assumed that was the way with Toyota too. Wrong. I just installed a tow hitch (Hidden Hitch) brand ($135 w/ $15 shipping) Took 30 minutes tops to install with 4 bolts and 20 minutes of that was spent rounding up my tools. Still need to deal with the wiring harness.

Anyone know if you can get a wiring harness with a 7 plug? That's what's on the pop-up camper I tow. Everything I've seen available from Toyota is a flat 4.
  • battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    I think fint mica is outstanding, its beautiful from a distance and is intricate up close!
  • silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    Do you mind me asking where you purchased your hitch from? That seems like a pretty good deal. Was it really that easy to install? You did not have to cut through the bumper did you? Does it look nice? What brand was it? I want to install the same thing on my V6 RAV4 Limited. Thanks.
  • silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    As promised, I'm back to report my MPG. I have not been following these posts real close, so I don't know the latest on the MPG, but here's my info on our 2 1/2 month old V6 Limited 4x2. (This has been all stop and go city driving)

First Tank: 20.1 MPG (However, I now know this was NOT a full tank of gas from the dealer--so I don't put any credit on this tank)

Second Tank: 21.4 MPG
    Third Tank: 22.7 MPG
    Fourth Tank: 23.1 MPG
    Fifth Tank: 22.1 MPG
    Sixth Tank: 23.0 MPG
    Sevnth Tank: 22.3 MPG

Its been averaging about 22.5 over the last couple of months. Not too bad for a powerful V6 in the city. We're happy. (And to think, I was trying to talk my wife into a minivan because I thought the gas mileage would be better!)

Just a couple of small little quirks I wish were different. The overhead dome lights in the car are a little too bright. I wish the park shifter had an actual red indicator down by the "P, R, D, 4, 3, 2". At night especially, its a little difficult to tell which gear you are in when you shift because the letter/number does not light-up by the shifter. Instead, you have to look in the dash to tell. I also do not like the fact that side bumpers are not a factory install---these should be standard---at least on the Limited Editions. Finally, I don't like the fact that a rear compartement overhead dome light does not exist. It would be nice, at night, to have an overhead dome light when I open the back door to unload things. It's a little dark back there--that little light on the door lights up the ground, but the interior very well.

Overall though, we are very happy thus far. Its a very fun car to drive.

By the way, I love the steering wheel mounted audio-controls.
  • markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    Recently I pressed brake little harder than normally while standing and waiting for green light and "Slip Indicator" light came on on my 2006 RAV4 4x4 Limited.
    I tried to reproduce it and it happened again. Is it supposed to be like that. Would other RAV4 owners confirm it?

Thanks
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    That seems pretty weird. I'll give a try to see if that happens with mine. But, I did see Slip light on twice when I started from a green light making a turn and acceleration at the same time. And the acceleration was not that harsh either.
    Nice pics! I see you put on a front license plate. Did you just use self tapping screws? What did you do for the bottom 2 screws...seems like it was not meant to have bottom ones?
    We just took delivery of our 06 RAV. Is it safe to wax it? What should I use? I have Nu Finish and just got something called Meguiars NXT Spray Wax?
    Thanks!! The front plate holder was put on by the dealer, they're required here, just two screws in the top, none in the bottom.
    Read the manual. I think that is the up or down hill holder coming on. I had that on a test drive. I think if you press the brake hard for 2 sec while stopped it puts on the brakes or something.
  • lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at base models of the 4 cylinder 06Rav4 and 06CR-V. With the Rav4 having the most recent redesign,

I'm leaning towards it, but the older CR-V design has a 5sp Automatic, and standard side airbags, and these are major features that I'm suprised the Rav4 doesn't have.

Am I missing something here? What makes the new 4cyl Rav4 better than the old CRV? Pricing on the CRV seems better as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is one of my favorite posts around:

Mr_Shiftright, "Teflon Paint Sealants Revisited" #7, 10 Jul 2003 10:33 am

For that extra nice look though, skim through these discussions:

Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)

Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I removed the bulbs from the "dome light" in my 2001 RX300 and wired/mounted a Ford style dome/map light back over my right shoulder in place of the rear passenger dome light. Used diodes so that all three bulbs illuminate with open door.

10 watt halogens in each of the individual "projector" style map lights for driver/passenger w/switches.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    The side airbags are an option on the RAV, but most have it...when you consider the price of the CRV and RAV (with option side airbags), price is pretty much the same. I was also considering the CRV, but after I saw the RAV's interiors I was sold, they were much nicer than the CRV's. I also prefer how the seats fold down flat on the RAV as opposed to the CRV where you have to fold them behind the front seats. My price on the CRV special ed. would have been 24,600, I got the RAV Ltd. with 5 options for 23,600. I'm happy, especially that I would have been sick if I bought the CRV this year with it's new upcoming change for 2007.
  • lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    Well, in Canada, you simply cannot get the side airbags unless you pay for the highest trim model, with the V6, which is ridiculous. And the 5spd automatic is only on the V6, which I don't want.

I just can't understand why Toyota would completely redesign the vehicle, and leave it without major features that its OLDER competition already has, and expect it to be competitive.

Surely I'm missing something here.
    I do agree that some of the options should be a standard feature, like the side air bags. I obviously wanted that option for safety, but got stuck with other options that I didn't particularly want (JBL stereo and carpet/floor mats which I could buy on my own for much less). I didn't however want the 4 wheel drive that the CRV offered, no 2 wheel drive, and was able to get it on the RAV. Basically it's a trade-off. I am surprised though at how limited the choices are in Canada. If in doubt still, wait for the redesigned 2007 CRV.
    Well it is not easy to understand some of the Toyota option things or at least the USA regions approach to them. Here in NY we cannot get Sport with Side Curtain bags even if your willing to pay unless you buy from out of the NY region. But 150 miles away in RI you can get them.

But the thing is competitive for sure as the sales show. In my mind after test drives, the present CRV is not in the RAV4 class from a noise, handling, room and comfort point of view.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Front plates are required in Illinois also, but police will rarely pull you over for it. I went 15 years without a front plate till a county sheriff pulled me over and gave me a ticket for it. All I had to do was go to court and show them a photo of the car with the plate on. There was no fine and no court costs. I had got two new plates called organ donor plates. They looded great on the Camry, even on the front. When I bought my RAV4 two weeks ago, however, they had a difficult time removing them from the Camry. They ended up bending them up badly. So I then decided to remove the front plate from the RAV4, lest it scratch up the bumper. I'll take a chance.
    Well, my first 3 tanks, I averaged about 21 MPG. Yesterday, I had to drive a 300 mile round trip to pick up a friend at Illinois State University. After the first 70 miles, I got off the boring expressway and drove 60 miles down old Route 66, which parallels the expressway. I had the cruise control set at 55 MPG and was hoping to get over 25 MPG for the trip. Almost the entire trip was pure highway driving. I got to the university and got a shock at how much stuff my friend needed to bring back. We loaded up the RAV4 completely and drove it 2 miles to a storage facility. We then filled up the RAV4 completely again. The bags and boxes were stacked to the ceiling. We drove back at about 75 to 80 for the 150 mile trip back. I filled up before we got home and was surprised I only got 24.4 MPG. However, after I dropped my friend off and unloaded the RAV4, I realized the weight of the bags must have been near 800 pounds. Therefore, I drove all the way home with over 1100 pounds payload. That must have impacted my MPG some, plus the speed I was going at. Unfortunately, now I have to drive all the way down there next Saturday to pick up the rest of the stuff. The expressway is so boring in central Illinois, I'll drive down Route 66 again. The next load will weight much less than the first, so maybe I will break 25 MPG this time. I wish I had had a camera to take a picture of all the stuff that fit in the RAV4. It was a huge amount.

One bad note, I neglected to cover the rear bumper at first. A box of books came open at the bottom and I had to quickly pull it back out. The bottom of the box rubbed against the bumper edge, permanently scratching it about 8 inches along the edge. Black clear coat paint is incredibly easy to scratch. The bumper had some dirt on it from the drive down in the rain. I should have covered it while loading the back. I plan to purchase the bumper applique, but that would not have helped any. I'll get some touch up paint and spread a thin layer on the scratches.
    I got 26.8mpg on a recent trip with speeds between 55 and 65mph, V6 4WD, 1100 miles so far on the odo.

Just get the gulf region rear bumper protector from DeLand on Ebay to cover the back bumper, they go for $60-$75.

Am I crazy? On my 02 Camry I'd click the remote twice to open all doors. When I put the car in gear, all doors would lock. Well, on the RAV, the doors NEVER lock. Must I program this somehow....?
  • cougar06cougar06 Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a 2006, red, sport V6 4wd with some options such as sunroof, tow pkg, among others and really liked it. Asked the salesman if the V6 required premium fuel and he didn't know. Does it?
    Thanks
    That's not an available option in the programming. There are a few changes that can be made like unlock all doors with one press of the unlock button, and the unlock/lock beeps can be turned off as well as the hazard lights not flashing. All programming, except for passive arming of the RS3200 security system, must be done by the dealer with their scantool. Mine did it for free, but I've read that most charge for it.
    No, fuel requirements are on page 277 of the owner's manual and on the back cover, 87 octane is recommended.
  • karlzunikarlzuni Member Posts: 20
    All versions of the 2006 Rav take regular fuel. :)
    Read the specs on the RAV4 Toyota web site. Premium is for maximum performance. Regular is fine.
  • ktadrossktadross Member Posts: 1
    We are thinking about purchasing the 2006 Rav4 and we we wondering about the durability of the exterior spare cover. We are worried that this will take a beating in city driving and parking (street parking in NYC). If anyone has experience with this, give us your opinion. :confuse:
    so are you saying there is no way for all the doors to auto-lock on the RAV when the car is put in gear? Why would Toyota REMOVE a feature. This is very annoying, especially with kids!
    Not that I've found, it's not an option in the customize parameters in the factory service manual. You can look at em here...

See Ravman's post
    Where'd ya read that on the premium at Toyota.com?

Thx
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Actually, I find the opposite annoying. The auto lock feature is to prevent people from getting into your vehicle, not getting out. That's why they have child proof locks in the rear doors. If a kid can pull on the door handle, a kid can unlock a door (unless the childproof locks have been activated). If you wish to lock your doors, press on the power lock feature once everyone is in.
    Some where in my travels I saw an asterisk that says something about premium. But the spec fuel is regular 87 octane. Most all of the people here have mentioned using regular.
    3 years ago you were able to program various actions...like to lock all doors when the car starts or goes into gear etc.

Anyone else notice that there is only one lock to get in the RAV. I thought it was odd there was no lock by the hatch but then noticed no lock on the passenger door either! Its my wife's car and I hate carrying around a second bulky 'keyless' key so I just have a regular one, thus I need to use the lock to get in....
  • avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    The auto-lock feature has more to do with safety than security. It has been proven that if the doors are locked during an accident it is less likely that it will open during it limiting possibility of being thrown from it and enhancing the structuaral protection.

Although I've got used to the doors being locked when the car started to roll automatically (jeep liberty). I found the dealer's $650 for the security system too hefty, but now I am considering the installaton of an alarm system. I just do not want to get somebody upset the factory state of my car with an alarm installation, so I am puzzled. Plus being the RAV4 a new car, I do not think, many people know the wiring diagram of the car.

Does anybody know, is it possible to get the factory immobilizer installed afterwards? I'd rather have that than a useless siren.
    That would work great! How is it installed? I see what looks like two screws. I'll be putting a mountain bike in and out all summer. That bumber guard would be ideal.
    It uses the push pin fasteners that hold the small black protector on, just pull up on the center section of each and lift the whole fastener out, remove the backing on the pressure sensative foam mounting strips that are on the bottom of the new bumper protector and place it in postion on the bumper and reinstall the fasteners, real easy. Here's a pic with the door closed.

Dunno about the OEM immobilizer, but if it's like any other factory option, it would be real expensive after the fact!! The 12Volt Shop sells aftermarket immobilizers that work with the factory keyless entry system for $30-$60.
    I am a little disappointed that all I'm getting is 20 MPG. Does anyone know if that will change for the better over time, or am I doomed to crappy mileage? Thanks.
    That must be city mpg? My V6 4wd is almost gettng that, last fill up was 19.9 all city, last all hiway was 26.8mpg.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    4 cyl Limited 4wd here. 1.5k miles and getting 23 around town, 28 highway. My wife's car and she drives with a light foot. Do you drive agressively, a/c on, hills. etc?
    That was 95% city, 5% highway. I'm pretty light-footed as well, and it's all flat, no hills. I'm just perplexed considering it's not even a V6 or 4X4. I was hoping i'd get 24.
  • avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    Thanx for the tip about that engine cut off add on. Rather i was thinking of the factory stuff. How expensive can it be? new keys with the micro chip and since the system utilizes the electric system, new computer perhaps? I do not think anything else should be needed. Of course I have no idea about Toyota systems, but I know the immobilizer is usually integrated into the main control unit. At least on some cars. Am I wrong?

I'd rather not cut anything. I have heard of horrors of the badly installed alarm disabled the car on the highway.

Unfortunately I was not offered the immobilizer on the base model. To my knowledge, it only comes with the Limited trim. And I am fine with the base's equippment otherwise.

Additional Cons ( to my previous ones): so far only minor, the 4 cylinder's vibration can be felt through the whole car at idle.

The tranny feels "lazy" sometimes and I am not sure if it is programmed right to the engine which likes to rev high.

It must be difference between city driving and city driving. I am talking about NYC suburb like city driving and I am only getting between 20-21 Mpg no matter what from the 4 cylinder and I am 70% easy on the gas pedal too.

So "lir" you are not alone.

Of course I only ran on 87 grade. Did anyone tried if 91 yields a better MPG?