Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Can you tell me where I can view this information on locked doors being safer than unlocked ones in an accident. I find it a little hard to believe. The door is either closed (latched) properly or not. To my knowledge the only way a car door will open is if you pull on the handle. If the door is locked it won't. If the accident is severe enough, I don't think it would matter whether they are locked or not.

If there is a vehicle out there where the door latch system is weak, I would love to know which one it is. There was something a couple years ago about the Odyssey's rear hatch opening during impact (with the possibility of the rear seat passengers being thrown). Maybe this is what you are referring to. I believe that problem was rectified quickly.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    New keys from the dealer are close to $200, the engine controller (computer) in the last vehicle I owned, a 2002 Chevy, was $450.
  • avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    Well locking a door? I have known it for years, they taught us this way, but maybe I am outdated on this. I thought that locking the door, the mechanism itself also secures the latch in place, so it will not open on impact no matter what. When you close the doors it is only half way secured, but when you lock it, it locks in further down.

To my knowledge the RAV4 has a "black box" or data recorder, which records how you drive. So if you slam into somebody at 50 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, you better not say that you drove the speed limit. And I am not happy about this, especially when I am not getting any deductibles for it. Big brother ffect I guess.

Also the computer should automatically unlock the doors after the impact, shut off the gas pump and such. I repeat, after and not during the impact.

Anyway, I like my doors locked automatically and I would still love to see having as an option with the keyless entry.

I know what you mean about locking the doors for security and I have this for you guys:
    http://www.utsa.edu/utsapd/Crime_Prevent/car safety tips.pdf#search='locked%- - - 20car%20doors%20in%20accident?'
  • saqsalmsaqsalm Member Posts: 17
    Same thing happened on my 2006 4x4 V6 Rav4. Slip Indicator came on when I pressed the brakes harder than normal while waiting for the green light. Does anyone know why this happens?

I've found the drive a little firm. I checked the tire pressure, and its at 36 psi. Manual says it should be 32 psi. I wonder why Toyota puts 36 psi in those tires.. I know from prior comments on this forum that some have had to reduce the psi to 32. Would most appreciate comments.
    thank you
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Thanks. I will definitely buy one, after seeing how easily scratched my bumper is. Thanks for the info.
    Talking about tire pressure. I have two gauges, both brand names, one is analog, one is digital. However the measurements differ, it is about 3 psi between the two. Now that is enough to be misleading.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    I think if you look in the book this is normal. The up or down hill holder thing comes on I think if you press the brake for 2 sec while stopped. I saw this on a test drive but the sales woman new nothing
  • martin16martin16 Member Posts: 11
    This might have been asked/answered already, but has anyone replace the fabric tire cover of their Sport model with the hard plastic one that comes with the Limited?

What did it cost?

Does it fit the 18" wheel of the Sport OK?

TIA,

Martin
    Someone priced it on another forum, $800!!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I just want the door locks to automatically lock when either I start the car or put it in gear. Its been that way on all cars I have owned recently including my 02 Camry.

As far as it being safer, people forget to lock their doors or periodically have both kids and adults in the back seat. It nicer not to have to engage the child proof saftely locks and then not need to let adults out the back seat. I always worry that there will be an accident and the kids will be unable to get out the rear doors, perhaps even trapped. Also, I know I'd feel better if my wife is at the mall with the kids and as soon as she starts the car it locks so no one outside the car can get in. I mean they have the double click safety feature on the keyless fob to open all or just the drivers door, why not an auto lock feature. It just seems likely Toyota took some features away, likely to cut down costs. Much the same as they eliminated door locks from all doors and hatch except on the drivers door. Just like they eliminated the glove box light too. I mean we are paying a premiumn for a Toyota, whats a few more bucks!
    They pump the tires up for shipping!
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Just about every new vehicle can record data for a certain time limit.
  • durangokid1durangokid1 Member Posts: 3
    Have dealt with this extensively over the past two weeks. It appears that the "Tow-prep package" includes a larger radiator w/ trans cooler, larger alternator and battery, and pre-wired for towing, and 30 amp fuze in the fuze box under the hood. Everything is there except the hitch and wiring harness for the tow plug. Seems the "pre-wired" means that there is an extra connection under the dash near the wiring connector box that allows you to connect the $189 dealer provided wiring harness to it and run the harness to the back of the vehicle and connect to the converter box then out the rear to your towing plug connector (4-pin system). The 7-pin plug is not an option. If your car is not pre-wired for towing, there is an extra jump wire to go to the under the dash fuze box and an extra 15 Amp fuze for the wiring in the kit. Everything needs to be installed and is estimated at 1.5 to 2.0 hours since a lot of the interior panels and rear area panels need to be removed to route the wiring harness. The only difference I have found in the purchase of a generic towing harness ($45) other then the price difference is that with the generic system you will be splicing in the wiring to existing wiring with small splice connectors instead of a plug for the connector box under the dash that comes with the dealer kit. Even got the printed installation diagrams and instructions from the dealer manual so I can do my own installation. Only problem is do I want to pay a $140 difference in price of the dealer provided kit vs. a generic kit just so I do not have to splice in wiring. Both kits come with wiring, converter boxes, and 4-pin plugs.
    The tow prep pkg also has bigger electric fans to include 50amp breakers installed in the Fan 1 and Fan2 positions in the passenger side fuse box instead of 30amp fuses.

The OEM wiring harness is available for less than $115.

http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=12_187&products_id=4444
    I doubt that my previous truck, the 2002 Jeep Liberty had this data recording feature.
    Thanks for a very handy input on the harness.
    I talked earlier about automatic door locking absence on the Rav4. I found this product:

http://www.coastaletech.com/lock.htm

what do you think?
  • tbjorkmtbjorkm Member Posts: 3
    How much was the dealers manual with the printed installation diagrams and instructions ?

My 2006 sport w/towpkg has a female connector right next to the 12v accessory outlet in the left rear compartment.
    I'm wondering what that is for.
  • garyweissberggaryweissberg Member Posts: 14
    I checked the link but it appears this device is for the Previs only?
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I've been keeping a spreadsheet on mileage since I purchased the car. After 6 tanks I'm averaging 24.9 mpg. I would say my driving as mixed .. maybe 50 / 50 although I don't drive in the "city" very often so I would call it highway / local. I'm quite pleased with the results.

- hutch
    So when your driving on the "highway" what speed do you run at?
  • mwinter66mwinter66 Member Posts: 5
    I'm confused? My V6 Sport has a hard plastic cover for the spare tire except for the back edge that is vinyl with elastic to hold it onto the tire. Is this what you are referring to? If so, that's how mine was equipped.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like you hung up your racing shoes. ;)

-juice
    I run along at 65-70 when it's possible. The Balto. beltway doesn't always permit getting above 60 but I-95 is another story.

A.J. - racing shoes? I only drive other peoples cars like that. :blush: You must have caught me on a bad day .. or three.

- hutch
    I have been keeping up with this forum for about 6 months and I would say most owners here are very satisfied with RAV4. But when I look at some other RAV4 2006 forums I seem some problems that make me wonder:

V6 throttle too sensitive when starting off
    Steering motor overheating
    window rattles
    sunshade rattles
    Intermittant steering at speed
    Low torgue/power in reverse on steep grades
    I4 start up acceleration not consistant
    Noise/clunks on sharp turns etc.

Any of the owners here seeing these things?
    V6 throttle too sensitive when starting off

The throttle on my V6 is touchy, but not to the point that you can't get used to it, kinda like the gated shifter, just need time to get accustomed to it.

Steering motor overheating
    Window rattles

Not an issue....yet!

Intermittent steering at speed

Some may mistake torque steer as a steering problem with the V6 at full throttle operation, not a problem for me once I was aware of it.

Low torque/power in reverse on steep grades

Not an issue, I had to turn around on a single track road while offroad once, backed up a steep bank, not a problem.

Noise/clunks on sharp turns etc.

Experienced this once just after I took delivery, haven't since.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Correct, should have stated many new cars have the data recording feature, primarily GM and some Fords. Other makes ?
    Ok thanks. I had seen the V6 torque steer at low speed at a Sport test drive and thought is was bad for a 2006 design but not something that was a show stopper. You get used to it I am sure. The steering is very quick and light on the Sport so you have to "drive it" more closely than some other modern cars, Audi for example.
  • judhishthirjudhishthir Member Posts: 1
    I am considering to buy a 2006 RAV4. My local Toyota dealer quoted me a price of $23,732 for the following config:

V6 4WD Base Model
    Factory Installed Accessories: FE CD DR AW GY TO
    Port Installed Accessories: C4
    Classic Silver Metallic

Is that a good deal? Any suggestions?

What is an option "C4" anyway?
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    C4 may be floor mats
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    This was on my most recent trip:
    40% highway (65 mph) 40% rural open roads with hills (50-60 mph) 20% small town (35 mph). 1700+ miles on the odometer.
    --------------------
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    I would not go so far as to call it a problem but my primary issue is the touchy throttle. I've never had a vehicle with such a touchy gas pedal, while at the same time I love how fast it is from a stop light; I am going 60 and almost a football field ahead of everyone else before I realize I need to slow down. I know I am going to get some speeding tickets; it is just a matter of time. :shades:
    Sounds good
    Yea, yea, blame it on the throttle...lol.
    I do not think it is the throttle. I think it is the 260 horses under the hood.

I have the VVT4 and find it more than adequate. Although I did not test it yet, supposedly it does 8.7 s to 60. The V6 suppose to do 2 seconds quicker.

But there is 100 horses more with the V6. I bet that the throttle is sensitive. lol.

The clunks you hear is normal (according to the owner's manual). It is the self check of the Security package (ABS,stability control etc.) Only hear it here and there.

Visor rattle was noticed but not when tires are inflated right.Windows are huge and usually it rattled only once and the reason was it was not up all the way.

I have the base 4WD and my tire cover is hard-shell.
    Also I've got DRL, the 17" steel rims with Yoko tires ( which are excellent even in rain), mats, the bumper protector, the cargo area cover ( tonneu), which is also great, has an adjustable basket) and paid 22700 for it.
    And I am fine with that. I know I probably could have bargained more, but there was only one beige on the lot and I did not want somebody else to grab it. :)

Knocking on wood, the car is a charm! Has little issues, like I'd like a bit faster steering at higher speeds.
    Well I have test driven the V6 Sport and the throttle is touching when starting off. A small throttle motion makes a it jump forward and for the few times I drove the V6 you have to keep aware of that. Other than when starting off I found the V6 throttle to be fine and the 269 HP is fun. I would think this would be an easy design tweak for RAV4 in 2007.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    I drive the speed limit and not 1 mph over. 55 and 65 in my area
  • martin16martin16 Member Posts: 11
    Maybe the dealer threw it in or something?

The 2006 brochure specifies the soft tire cover for the base and Sport and the "moulded" cover for the Limited only.

- Martin
    Before everyone gets confused, the Canadian models have different features than the US models.

Toyota Canada

US Base and Sport models come with a hard/soft tire cover, limited has an all hard cover.

Canadian Base and Sport come with a soft cover, the limited has an all hard cover.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Test drive or rent a Cadillac DTS or Buick Lucerne with the V8 and you will find the same type of touchy throttle. At best, it is an annoyance.
    For $28k and Toyota, this kind of "annoyance" is is GMish shall I say?
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    no that is not the hard cover. Hard (lockable) cover only comes on the Limited.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's an old GM trick. They basically make the throttle less linear, so at the beginning of the throttle a small change in throttle position (where you foot is) results in a big change in throttle opening.

If you've driven a model with the mid-size V6, such as the Beretta or Corsica, you may remember. Put your foot on the gas even lightly and it's like you floored it. It was hard to get a smooth start, in fact.

It fools a lot of people into thinking the engine is more powerful than it actually is, but it's less smooth and probably wastes gas.

The 3.5l is legitimately powerful and has no need for a touchy throttle. Perhaps they should re-program those.

-juice
  • durangokid1durangokid1 Member Posts: 3
    Did not pay for it. The parts guy got tired of me asking questions and printed off the 28 page instructions. Will get is scanned and submit to the group for reference.
    Let's not make too big a deal out of this. In short order, you automatically adjust to the sensitive gas petal.
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    Just getting back from running errands and I am getting adjusted to the throttle, just need a light touch at first and then slowly accelerate. :shades:
  • werm9werm9 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a base 4x4 rav4 and want to know if Toyota has have any incentives at the end of the year when dealers try to clear out there old inventory? I would like a rav4 but they are a bit pricey for such a small 4x4
    Fat chance. There is nothing to clear out.
    Perhaps you call the Rav4's pricey and small, but consider this: it is cheaper and has more features than let say the jeep Liberty (I owned for 4 years).

I bet you have not been down to the Dealer and checked it out. It looks actually big, and it is big

I am 6'2" and it is just right.

Actually park it to next to a previous generation Gran Cherokee and you'll find it about the same size!

So you should not call it a compact SUV, because it is not anymore.

It has grown and matured considerably, yet has a ride sweet as a BMW x5. Do not believe it? Go and drive both.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    One of the reasons I was skeptical about buying a 2006 RAV4 was because I thought the insurance for it was going to be high. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found out that my insurance would only be right under $400 a year for my Limited, and that included full coverage. Considering the high cost of insurance in California, that really was a shocker to me.

How has everyone else done in terms of insurance?