Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
MT hinted that the next Rav4 is due THIS FALL, and will be bigger, with corporation's 3.3 V6 and an auto tranny.

Given it's successful test this month in MT, Manual, 0-60 in 7.8, 2 seconds faster than Escape Hybrid, $10k less, loses 3 MPG, same interior room), I'd say that might be a mistake, especially with Highlander above it. Where would it go?

Your thoughts!

Drfill

Comments

• vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    If you look at the Autoweek fourm you will see some drawings of the 06 RAV4. It has hints of a 4Runner in the front and VW Toureg in back. Note the drawing does not show the spare tire/wheel in back and it has a rear bumper. I would be interested especially if Toyota adds the 5 speed automatic to the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder which with better gearing give it better acceleration and mpg. Think the 3.3 V6 would take sales from the Highlander..
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    They can use the 2.5 six from the new Lexus IS, at 220hP, and the Camry's 2.4.

I want a manual in it, for economy and fun.

It's bad enough it has a girly look.

DrFill
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    As long as the RAV stays smaller than the HL (which it is), I dont see any reason why there would be overlap of sales, despite the RAVs new V6.

Should be interesting.

The current RAV4 AWD, lightly optioned, IMO, is an SUV bargain- fun to drive, peppy, good fuel economy, standard VSC, sharp looking.

~alpha
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    I don't think it's gonna get a V6 you know... Look:

RAV4: I4 ONLY

Highlander: I4 and V6

4Runner: V6 and V8

Sequoia: V8 ONLY

You can't put a V6 in the RAV4 since:

- It's gonna steal sales of the Highlander unless the Highlander gets a V8, the 4runner a V10 and a only V10 for the sequoia (2 vehicles can't get the same exact number of cylinders even if they're sizes are different, the upper vehicle must get a bigger engine at least in its most luxurious version if not it's stupid, that's what I think)

- The Rav4 doesn't need a V6, just a well balanced I4 and good gearing will be enough to realise good acceleration and nobody buys a RAV4 to trail his/her house anyway! I think the RAV4 was built for people who want versatility that's all!
    I think you're wrong, and I've read in more than Motor Trend that the RAV would be getting a V6 in this coming, third generation.

~alpha
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    because HL will undoubtedly become a substantially bigger vehicle with its own redesign scheduled to come very soon, so even if RAV gets an optional V-6, it will still be a lot smaller.

Not to mention, I bet the next-gen Highlander will not have a 4-cyl for the base engine. You can kiss those days goodbye.

Whereas I bet if they put an optional V-6 in the mix for the RAV, it will sell in Camrylike proportions: 3/4 or more 4-cylinder, 1/4 or less V-6. Most people want a small versatile SUV that DOESN'T suck gas like the monster SUVs, that's part of the reason they look at RAV in the first place. I hope they boost the fuel economy of the 4-cyl significantly without boosting power (why boost power when there's an optional V-6 with juicier profit margins available?) for '06.

As for me, I would say the rear end looks like a cross between a Touareg and the Isuzu VehiCross - remember that one? The front end looks OK for a Toyota, but did the sides really need to get EVEN MORE chunking up than they already have?? The pics sure make it look longer than it is now.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

Note the entry for "RAV4 V6", with a job 1 date of 1/06. That site is almost always accurate -- they are a fleet leasing company so they have to know what's available. There are some other interesting Toyota tidbits in that chart too.

-Andrew L
    that the only engine available at the launch of the next gen RAV will be the 4-cyl, with the V-6 to lag behind it by two months. That furthers my conviction that the volume engine for the RAV will be the 4-cyl.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carnovice3carnovice3 Member Posts: 5
    I have heard some rumors that the '06 Rav4 will have a 3rd row. Has anyone heard anything about this? Also, does anyone know if you'll still be able to get a manual shift? Thanks.
    I hope not, and I hope SO, in that order! :-)

It will probably be Toyota SOP: announce a base model with a stick shift so as to make the model's base price sound really low, then only build a dozen or so manual shifts for the entire country. And I will bet that the optional V-6, if there is one, will come packaged only with the automatic, which hopefully will be the 5-speed from the Camry etc (since the 4-cyl engine is shared between the two models).

• wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Actually, I wouldn't mind if the new Rav had a 3rd row, even if it was only for kids/occasional use. I've been looking into the Mazda5, but if I could get something similar, with a little more ground clearance and AWD, it would be a done deal.

A 4+2 or 5+2 Rav just might fit the bill, as the nearly $40,000 7 passenger Highlander is way out of our budget.
    would kind of take a lot of the "cute" out of this cute ute. Make it too big and it gets lost in the ocean of midsize crossovers, not to mention it begins to steal HL sales.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Exactly what I was thinking - not everyone wants a 3-row SUV, and these mini-SUVs are designed to suit that taste, while the Highlander is designed for those who want/need a 3rd row.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

even the least expensive of the crossovers/SUVs that offer a third row sell in a higher price class than the RAV, except maybe the Suzuki XL-7, or something like that. So if the price is the only turn-off to the three-row HL for you, then you should be aware that (a) there are cheaper alternatives than the Toyota, and (b) you have to ante up a little more money than the range of the RAV to get a three-row SUV.

I can just imagine how long the RAV would have to be to accomodate a third row - it would completely change the nature of the vehicle.

MT this month has a short blurb about the '06, saying it has been lengthened a little but not enough to accomodate a third row, and that the 3.3L V-6 from the Camry is expected to be an optional engine. There are no pictures, unfortunately.

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Apparently a video being shown to Toyota corporate employees on vehicles being launched in the next 15 months reveils that the new RAV4 will be longer and able to accomodate a third row seat.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Could there be a Lexus version?
    Current length of the Rav-4 is 168.04" with a wheelbase of 98.11". Current length of the Toyota Corolla Verso (with 3 rows of seats) is 171.78" with a wheelbase of 108.35". Therefore, the Rav-4 wouldn't have to grow that much to accomodate a 3rd row. Given it's height advantage, the 3rd row may even be more accomodating than the one in the Verso, though probably still best for kids / temporary use.
    A longer wheelbase would improve ride quality as well. The perfect vehicle for us would be a combination of a Rav-4, Honda Element and Mazda5, able to seat 4 comfortably but 6 or 7 in a pinch (literally!) with the foul-weather traction and ground clearance of the Rav and the versatility/scrubbability of the Element. If Toyota could pull all those 'elements' together in one vehicle, we'd be sold.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Too true.
    here, but I really hope they don't offer a third row in the next RAV. RAV launched the cute ute segment - it was the innovator. There is nothing "cute" about a ute big enough to have three rows. The RAV could use a few more inches of wheelbase so that actual human adults could ride in that back seat for more than five minutes, but that is all. Apart from that I hope it stays mostly the same - the passenger compartment should be about the size of the Corolla, plus a few percent maybe.

In the last ten years Toyota has jumped up the size of successive generations of its models too much, IMO. I am hoping the '06 RAV will be the exception to this trend.

• c14c14 Member Posts: 6
    I wonder how the 2.4 will handle the bigger 2006 RAV 4.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I wish people would stop this third row nonsense regarding every car. People... that's what minivans and Suburbans are for!
    Would you want anyone to be squeezed up against a tailgate?
    well, they will have the HL's V-6 as an option for the next RAV, which bodes ill for holding the size in check for the next gen. But the 2.4 is pretty peppy in the current car, so if they can just hold the weight increase to 100 pounds or so, it should be fine.

Motor Trend recently timed the 2005 RAV4 5M to 60 in just 7.8 seconds...

~alpha
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    I agree with you there. Currently, no compact SUV even offers a third row seat. That's what the midsize SUV's are suposed to offer. Offering a third row seat means a considerable increase in length, meaning the RAV4 will be the size of the Toyota Highlander or 4Runner. Then it will eat the sales of these vehicles. No, simply put it is foolish for any automotive manufacturer to try to stuff a third row in a compact SUV. It would be incredibly cramped, and then you're probably better off with a shorter vehicle with two rows than a longer vehicle with an uncomfortable third row. Full Size SUVs and minivans have uncomfortable third rows, imagine how bad it would be in a COMPACT SUV. A third row means more work for the engine, because of the additional weight.

Forget about a third row seat in the new RAV4, or for that matter in any compact SUV. people, it's not going to happen. If you want a third row seat in a Toyota, buy a 4Runner or a Sequoia or a Highlander or the Land CRuiser.
    With the 2006 RAV4 due to start rolling off the assembly lines before the end of the year (ie in about 6 months), don't you think we should have some concrete pics by now? Or is Toyota getting as secretive as Honda about certain new models? After all, we already know pretty much what the FJ Cruiser is going to look like.
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics either. So far I haven't heard a whisper about the new model, at least not firsthand.

If they do put in a 3rd row as is rumoured, let's hope we get a real rear bumper and that the spare comes off the door......
    That's my chant and I am sticking to it!

I would love to see the spare come off the rear door though.

• normalcnormalc Member Posts: 1
    I think Toyota may use the new small V6 that has been just introduced for the 2006 Lexus IS. This would be a great engine for the new Rav.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    The sport has stiffer springs and shocks and the interior is almost all grey besides the seats. Also no 3rd row seat option. I have driven one and the ride is firmer for sure but not rough and noisy.
    Lots of comments here about the cloth being rough but I did not feel that in the two short drives I took in the Sport and a Base. I am not sure about cloth armrests though, could be a nuisance in hot weather. Actually I wish the Sport had leather as an option. One dealer told me they could arrange for custom leather installed in a Sport for $1300 which is not too much more expensive than factory leather in Limited.
    Waiting to drive a V6 Sport in a month or two I hope!
    the RAV is by default FWD and the IS is not?

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I wonder if the trend towards cramming third rows into smaller vehicles is partially driven by the expectation of high gas prices? In Europe and Asia, where gas is really expensive, they have smallish vans and SUVs with like 8 or 9 little seats packed in. Basically you buy one of those instead of, say, a GMC Yukon XL, which would seem outlandishly huge in those countries.

I can't think of any other reason why a third-row seat in a vehicle as small as a RAV4 would be appealing. I mean, the 7-pass Highlander is not a huge vehicle, and you can pick up a basic 4-cyl for around $25K or less.

-Andrew L
    know that if they cram a third row into RAV, it will give them all the excuse they need to jack the price up substantially.

• glavinsologlavinsolo Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have any legitimate pictures? I saw some on Autoweek but they turned out to be a photoshop of some european Chevrolet suv called S3x made by Daewoo. From what I know it will be able to be ordered in July 05 and be able to take delivery in August 05. RAV4 name will stay as some people have mentioned in other sites and from toyota.

We might see a RAV6, though maybe?

I just got back test driving a 2005... and couldn't be more uncomfortable sitting in the back seat. Anyone who has decent size legs couldn't sit there for more than 20mins I would think. So for them to lengthen it out and put a 3rd row is quite scary considering the 2nd row could use about 3inches of more legroom :surprise:
    the '4' in RAV's name was originally for 4WD. So unless it has 6WD after Aug 05, it probably won't change to the RAV6.

• toyotaman71toyotaman71 Member Posts: 1
    the 2006 Rav is supposed to have the Avalon 3.5l 280hp enigne in it.
    No, I dont think it is. That would make just about no sense at all.

~alpha
    How about a Navigation System, real rear bumper, spare off of the rear door, and a liftgate instead of the current awkward side swing gate. (The CR-V has this too- I hate it- you can't get stuff in or out of the car if you're parked in a parallel spot)

I'm still wondering if Lexus would get one.. Although I highly doubt it.. It'd be interesting to see Lexus get a version of the next RAV4.
    It has been stated that the last new Lexus sharing a Toyota platform (in the US) would be the next generation ES, which debuts this time next year. What this means for the RX, I dont know, but those are the only two with a shared Toyota platform. So, I dont think we will see a Lexus version of the RAV4.

~alpha
    well, I believe that announcement only applies to Lexus CARS, doesn't it? If not, they will sure have their work cut out for them coming up with three Lexus trucks from scratch in time for their next model revisions.

It would be interesting to see a RAV with the Lexus treatment. Acura will have the RDV next year, after all. Toyota rarely misses a move by Nissan or Honda.

jchan - you said it! My number one wish for the next RAV would be spare OFF the rear door and stowed underneath where it should have been all along. And give it a real rear bumper in the process.

The Avalon's 3.5 would be way too much engine for the RAV. Both in output and in price/cost. If RAV gets heavier for the next gen, I could see maybe using the Camry's 3.3, detuned a little from the current SE's output. But what about the 2.5 from the new IS? Now there's an exciting thought. That is a little V-6 with a noticeable power bump over the RAV's 4-cyl. And designed for RWD - just imagine how the RAV would change in character. :-)

Plus BMW has the X3. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lexus RAV4. Wonder what they might call it.
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    With the 2006 RAV getting closer to release, do we not have any pictures or details of it yet?
    I haven't heard a peep - probably means changes will be minor and evolutionary, not dramatic. Although you would think the first-ever availability of a V-6 in RAV would be considered significant. Maybe it's not really going to happen.

• milom1milom1 Member Posts: 2
    Third seat?. What the Rav4 needs is more front leg room. I have one, 2004 and, I am sorry I bought it. I am 6'4" and no room for my legs.
    Why they do not think of more comfort to the driver in general. We should be able to move the front seat backward more!.
    I disagree. Toyota redesigns rarely occur with fanfare. Even spy pics of the massively overhauled 05 Avalon were unavailable up until about 3 weeks prior to intro. And historically, Toyota mentions nothing about redesigned Corollas and Camrys, neither of which has even DEBUTED at any auto show.

~alpha
    by contrast, we knew about the upcoming third row in the Highlander many months before it came, there was a great deal of web information available ages ahead on the Sienna revision, even the current 4Runner had detailed information leading the launch by a good six months IIRC. Remember the launch of the 2000 Celica?

So Toyota sometimes tells us a ways ahead, sometimes it doesn't but there is lots of information leaked, and sometimes it maintains strict radio silence. The '06 RAV appears to be in this last category! :-P

I am convinced it will not have a third row. While the addition of an optional V-6 to the line would seem logical to us folks out here in the world, I am not so sure Toyota would think the same way. The FJ is coming soon after and will have a V-6 only, and will be not much bigger than a RAV. The RAV is meant to be mostly a car, and is still light compared to most of its competitors.

So my thinking is third row, no; optional V-6, 50/50; wheelbase stretch to provide more rear seat room, a dead certainty; spare tire moved under the rear end, let's hope so. We will probably see some of the other popular doohickeys for 'L' models too, so as to justify a price increase. Heated outside mirrors, auto up/down on all windows, power seats, that sort of thing. And is A/C still optional on the base model? If so, I bet that becomes standard on the '06.

• mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Do we know when the new RAV4 will go on sale?
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    According to info on another site:
    4 cyl Nov 16, 2005
    V6 Jan 20, 2006
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I approve of a V6 (I mean, the Escape has one). It's pretty important for Toyota to wedge themselves in to the small SUV market as gas prices go up.