Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "Looks like Eric and young Master Ryan are Tundra drivers 1 and 2 "

Sorry to disappoint you buddy but i have a great gf.
  • bugwizrbugwizr Member Posts: 50
    I am still at home with the flu. I have been off work since the day after Christmas-complete with a doctor's note.

Still raining.

Thanks for the kind words. Now what do we talk about? PF Flyer will throw us off if we continue with this "Casablanca" knockoff.

All I know right now is my truck is very dirty and I am supposed to get the bedrug installed today. It will make my truck look complete. I also found some kind of cargo thing on one of the websites. Like a pet gate for the bed. Only this one is to hold groceries, etc. Looks like it would work better than those shower curtain rods that go across the back. They are worthless.

I haven't tried those pieces of wood that apparently fit perfectly. 6X2's or something like that from the lumber yard. Too ugly.

This is good. My truck is kind of like my house. I want it to be just right. With a bedrug, I can run away if I want to and sleep in the back. You can probably pull over in some parking lot and nobody would ever know you were there sleeping. A Gypsy life for me.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Sorry you're sick - gives you a chance to surf the net for truck accessories, I guess.

Here's a topic for all: truck caps, hard/soft tonnau (sp?) covers, tool boxes, or nothing? What do you have and what brands?

On my last truck, I had a Glasstite cap that was very good, but a pain to take off and put on if I had to haul something big. I basically got it for the dogs to travel in the winter - and to lock stuff in the bed.

Do most buy Toyota truck accessories or go aftermarket?
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Sorry, can't talk about being the tundra driver yet, we haven't discussed $$$.

Bug: I am not interested in the Tundra in its current form. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the truck, I just wanted a full size crew, which they don't currently make.
    -Eric
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Before I bought my Silverado I was looking at the Tundras. The miss really wanted one!. had certain squabbles that might interest other people. First what bothered me was the interior space. I had none compared to the Silverdo. Second, the price. Why would I pay 28K for a base 2wd v8 Tundra when I can get a LT Z71 for that much?? Third safety. This was the clincher after I put a '01 Tundra 4x4 on hold(Sticker was 30K got it down to 24K demo truck) On my way home I actually saw a Tundra and a Silverado get in an accident. The Silverado T-Boned the Tundra. The Silverado was not an EXT cab, the Tundra was! The Toyota was totaled while the Silverado had front end damage. Keep in mind this was a 30-35 mph T-bone crash. No offense to [non-permissible content removed] cars my Miata was great before I sold it(100K with no probs) but the truck in my opinion is a waste!. I mean it's funny all u Tundra owners think u can beat A silverado off the line. Look at the HP ratings! And yes I do have the 4.8. Toyota makes a fine luxury car(Camry, Lexus line) but the pickups need work. Plus I would never buy a Toyota for the fact that half the dealers ignore you when you walk into the dealership. nd half don't even have a Tundra in stock!(I mean what's a dealer in here in Anchorage doingwith a 2wd!) Plus I hear they take you in F&I for everything. I guess that's why haf the country is driving them same as Honda high payments=Car. My 2 cents.
    While it's true that Silverado offers more space and more features for the money, I'd personally pay a bit more initially for Toyota quality. I don't know about the two trucks, but I have enough experience with GM and Toyota to tell which would be more reliable over time. Do all the research you want, Toyota will beat GM in initial quality and long-term reliability hands down.

I drove a 1500 LT a while ago and was generally pleased. While more powerful, it lacked the smoothness of the Toyota engine, and torque was more noticable in the Tundra. I also give Tundra the egde in interior parts quality and ergos. I'll have to drive them back-to-back again soon.

As for the interior volume question, as many have pointed out, the Tundra's size makes it more drivable in everyday situation. For most of us that means an urban setting.
    I will agree with you on Toyota's long term engine quality. If I was buying a car my money would indeed go to Japan!. My primary concern was the safety issue. Had the Toyota been the price of my Silverado I would have bought it. I will admit that the Chevy engines do lack he quietness and smoothness of Japanese engines bu you bought a truck, Not a Lexus. I am not saying in any way that the Tundra is a bad truck, it may be my Toyota experience was not good (Getting ignored). Look at a Tundra and a Silverado from the front sometime. Big diffrence in width. But If I wanted a Lexus I would have bought one. Trucks need that certain sound. I guess it's the same as a Vette you just have to hav that sound.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Uh, the base Tundra is not 28k. Don't know what dealer you were shopping but it isn't even close to that.

Actually, comparing similarly equiped F-150s and Tundras the Tundra was actually cheaper. So much for the "imports are more expensive theory."
    "I will admit that the Chevy engines do lack he quietness and smoothness of Japanese engines but you bought a truck, Not a Lexus."

Yes, but if you can get Lexus smooth driving in a truck (and you can with the Tundra) then why would you choose the less refined Chevy?
    And Dave,

Nothing bad intended but I did have 3 VR6 GTI's and a Jetta GLX. GTI's were 96,97, and 98 models while the GLX wad a '99. they were all warrenties lemon law for the electrical system failure. VW's suck(New ones for that matter) I'll keep my '87 16V for rainy days. Other then that find Me a Corrado SLC VR6 anyday! My advise get rid of that thing. Check out http://www.myvwlemon.com and http://www.vwvortex.com

Info that can help you.

Why would I buy a truck thatI know was that quiet?? Up here in Alaska alot of people tend to stay away from [non-permissible content removed] cars for a point. I think trucks need to be just a little aggressive sounding that's my opinion. Your's may be diffrent. But if I lived where you live I would probably have a Lexus IS. But if you have owned the big "3" trucks which one including the Tundra would you trust in a side-impact accident with your family? Also does your engine have the Glycol problem?? Check my post regading my accident this Sat.
    My main point is that The Silverado can out muscle, out tow, out haul,and comes with more for less! Granted my wallet is $500 lighter every month. It is a nice looking truck. I just think 28kfor a base model is spendy.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    "Before I bought my Silverado I was looking at the Tundras. The miss really wanted one!. had certain squabbles that might interest other people."

So you do not own a Tundra. Please tell me what was the title of this thread? "Toyota Tundra OWNERS: RATE Your Truck!" So why in the hell are you posting here. I am glad you have a Silverado. Now go and post in the Silverado threads; there are plenty of them.

"First what bothered me was the interior space. I had none compared to the Silverdo."

First the difference is not that huge up front. Let us look at some numbers

------------Rado------Tundra

Fr Headroom-41in.-----40.3in.

Fr Legroom--41.3in.---41.5in.

Fr Shoulder-65.2in.---62.4in.

Fr Hiproom--61.4in.---59.3in.

The Tundra is close to the Rado up front. what the tundra lacks is rear room. We all know that already.

"Second, the price. Why would I pay 28K for a base 2wd v8 Tundra when I can get a LT Z71 for that much??"

Where do you live? On the moon!!! I got my 4x2 Tundra with options for 25,700 OUT THE DOOR. That is with taxes and fees included. Please do not go quoting MSRP. Go price a Tundra and a similar Rado and you will find that the Rado is MORE expensive. I have done it many times. The Tundra is cheaper than comparably equipped Rados and F150s.

"Third safety."

Don't make me laugh. Did you see what ratings the Rado got in the IIHS test. Here take a look:

This is for the Tundra:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0108.htm

This is for the Rado:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0107.htm

As you can see ONLY the Tundra got a GOOD crash rating. The Rado was MARGINAL.

"The Silverado T-Boned the Tundra. The Silverado was not an EXT cab, the Tundra was! The Toyota was totaled while the Silverado had front end damage. Keep in mind this was a 30-35 mph T-bone crash."

Did you see a Rado getting T-bonned by a Tundra? Not likely. So how do you know how the Rado will do in a similar situation. The IIHS reapted the same test on all the trucks.

"I mean it's funny all u Tundra owners think u can beat A silverado off the line. Look at the HP ratings! And yes I do have the 4.8."

Have you heard of the term HP/weight ratio. The Rado is heavier than the Tundra. So let us look at a 4.8 Rado 4x2 and a Tundra 4x2 and compare. The Tundra weighs 4133 lbs and the Rado weighs 4534 lbs. The Rado has 270hp and the Tundra 245. So the hp/weight rating for the tundra is 16.87 and the Rado is 16.79. Sounds very close to me. so here again the empirical data shows that you are wrong.

What about torque. The Tundra has 315 lb-ft and the Rado 4.8 has 285. So the torque/weight rating is 13.12 for the Tundra and 15.9 for the Rado.

Do you still thikn that your 4.8 can beat the Tundra?? The Rado 5.3 will beat the Tundra, but not the 4.8.

Why are you so defensive then?? I live in Alaska try buying a 4x2 here and actually driving it! and yes I do. And I stated that I can beat the Tundra. I don't race around in a full-size pickup. And if you want to play around with me on numbers there guy, see what I do for a living. I do have a BSAE, and a MSME. Look at the facts before you speak. The crash ratings for the Tundra are from 2001-2002 model years. Thse ratings mean squat. Crash your Tundra and see what happens! Real world. Also your fact on torque was correct, but look at the HP ratings. Also the main reason you my be able to beat a Silverado is that your truck is lighter. But then again you don't have a 4x4 so you can't go off-road or pull as much. You I think are the type of guy who would put a big wing in his bed and put "type-R" sticker on his truck. Come up to Alaska in your truck sometime(I'll pay for that matter) and let's see how well your 4x2 does! You are just sodefensive about this whole thing. Also learn to read. I rather liked the Tundra But it was the "Price and Real world" crash that turned me off. And due to the fact yours in not a 4x4 I guess I can go off-road and haul more then you!
    Oh yeah, look at some of your numbers you might learn something. And I can post here because I have comments that effect this forum. What if I told you to go post in the "Terrorist Nation" forum?? Since you don't have a US flag?? You don't like it! so be nice. Oh yeah I see you also posted in the Tundra problems forum. I guess you've had a problem. Just chill bro. Go get an oil change or drive down the 405 or something.
    Here's some real life figures for ya(Alaska prices)

'01 F250 4x4 22,500
    '01 F350 4x4 23,500
    '01 Tundra 4x2 26,500
    '01 Tundra 4x4 28,500
    '01 Rado 1500 4x4 22,500
    '02 Rado 1500 4x4 24,500

Now you tell which one's cheaper?? And there is no tax. Just the fees which amount to $300.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    After being a domestic truck owner for over 20yrs, I'd finally had it with 2nd tier quality control. Who cares if you get more bells and whistles if they break or fall off in 2 years!
    As for driving a pickup on a daily commute, the '97 F-150 I traded for my Tundra was a nice truck (sans the engine problems and hardware failures), but the Tundra is a flat-out nicer ride. I've driven the new Chevy, it was a nice truck but I always felt like the turn signal lever was going to break off when ever I used it (this goes for pretty much every lever or button).
    Finally, my SR5 4X4 TRD V8 ext.cab (26K)was less than a comparable Ford or Chevy
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    ""The Silverado T-Boned the Tundra. The Silverado was not an EXT cab, the Tundra was! The Toyota was totaled while the Silverado had front end damage. Keep in mind this was a 30-35 mph T-bone crash.""

Did you see a Rado getting T-bonned by a Tundra? Not likely. So how do you know how the Rado will do in a similar situation. The IIHS reapted the same test on all the trucks."

Gotta love that. The guy doesn't like what you saw so what's his comeback? He calls you a liar! Fact is, the passenger injuries for the Tundra in the crash article he posted were more severe than the Silverado's passenger injuries. Hope you don't need the use of your leg because it's gonna be crushed if you get into a similar wreck in the Tundra. Judging by the test results you'll walk away from the same wreck in the GM. Which truck is safer??

Several months ago, someone else posted an article in the Tundra vs. Big3 thread that compared the three fullsize trucks (GM, Dodge and Ford) and the Tundra in a 5 mph crash. A fender-bender, if you will. The GM not only had a less expensive repair bill than the Tundra, but the Tundra could not be driven after the crash! Sorry I can't find the link and don't remember if it was a frontal or rear crash test. And Toyota is supposed to have "superior build quality"!!

Sorry for posting in the sacred "Tundra Forum", but I can't stand blatant misinformation.
    As an engineer I am looking at "Test Data" every day. Real world data is diffrent. Real world data is what you get!. And yes I did see the accident since it was in fron of me in busy intersection. And belive it or not I hav seen my share of all Trucks hit including numerous Rado's Ford's and Tundra/Sequioa's So all you guys can belive what you want about "Test Data and test crashes" Fact is you go out and get hit from the side by a car/truck going 30 MPH let's see what differs from the test!. Same test?? Are you on crack? How do you think a Rado vs a F350 powerstroke would do in a side impact? Not to mention lets say a Tundra and a Benz? So according to you all these tests have the same conclusion?? And if what I am reading is true, you actualy agree with me that the Rado/Sierra is a safer truck?? you can check my post for my accident info. If I were in a Tundra I would have flipped butdue to the fact that half you guys have 4x2 the weight and performance is going to be different for thes trucks! I gues this is why I will never buy a Toyota product(Besides a Lexus) Everyone that sells or ownes one is rude. As for you, belive what you want. All I can say is when you get in a crash look at the differences. For example look at MB's 500 and 600 Sl coupe and convertible ratings. Now you can belive it. But do you think you would live after a 85 mph rollover with the top down??

I wish people would do research before speaking. And read what I have posted before hand. It's stupid to comment on things that I have said if you haven't read fully.
    I won't buy Toyota because you Toyota owners are rude!!! Is that supposed to make me feel bad? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Thanks for the laugh.

BTW-I checked and a comparably equiped silverado costs exactly $27,581 MSRP. This is equiped exactly as my Tundra for which the MSRP was $26,300. Last time I checked 27 was greater than 26. All I gave the rado was tinted glass, bucket seats, a CD player, aluminum wheels and I even deleted the 5.3L engine for the 4.8L engine. I have all these options on my Tundra for less than the chevy.

ak-if you're so concerned about crash safety why didn't you buy the Ford F350 power stroke? It's one of the biggest heaviest trucks made, wouldn't that be even safer than your silverado? Also, vehicles react differently to front impact and side impact crashes. You cannot compare the damage to the front of a vehicle with the damage to the side of another. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    And I know that my 4.7 liter will destroy your 4.8 liter...

One minute you're going on about how trucks are suppose to be trucks and sound like trucks and the such and then the next you're talking about horsepower. Well, anyone who knows anything about trucks, and the "real" purposes of trucks, knows that it is the torque that really matters. Your 4.8 liter has quite a bit less than the (my)Tundra.

And you're going about "real world" data. If you're any kind of engineer like you claim you least of all should know that you don't base an opinion on how safe a truck is by the result of one accident. That's just silly. How many factors come into play in an accident? I know one thing, unless I'm driving an armored truck, any vehicle that hits me side on is going to do some serious damage.

That's why we follow tests. They put vehicles of the same class to exactly the same set of tests. By looking at the pictures which truck looks like you are more than likely to walk away from? After everything is considered which truck would you want to be in? You're only lying to yourself if you say what I think you're going to say. The trucks are all travelling at the same speed. They are all hitting the same barrier. It really doesn't take a genius, or in your case an engineer, to figure this out...

One more thing. I really don't know what you're expecting by posting here. Why wouldn't people be defensive? This is a Tundra thread and you must realize that by even coming in here and starting to "bash" (call it what you will it is bashing)you are looking to argue.

Case close.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    Reasons I love my Tundra ( Permafrost now given the temp' here ). I have owned Chevy/GMC's and 1 Ford for over 23 years.
    1. Made in America by Americans
    2. Smooth
    3. Quiet
    4. Tractor-like Torque at low rpm
    5. Very nice interior
    6. Reliable
    7. Handles excellently
    8. Attracts good looking females
    9. Safest 1/2 ton truck made
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Honest question..

Are prices different up in Alaska compared to the prices on Edmunds??? I could see added destination and delivery, but wouldn't that be across the board???

Just so I'm clear, are you saying the 4.8 GM will out perform the 4.7toy???
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Maybe in Oz, but not Kansas, toto!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    8. Attracts good looking females

You need a Tundra to do that?....OMFG...

Makes for a lonely existance...........

GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW!!!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    The IIHS tested the Tundra and the Shakerado. The Tundra rated "good" while the Shakerado rated "marginal". It is silly to say that you would rather be in a vehicle with a "marginal" crashworthiness rating.

Of course, it is silly for another unfortunate Shakerado owner to be posting here, but that is another matter. And I used to admire you for staying out of Tundra topics. Oh Well!
    I did read your posts fully. Read mine fully while you're at it...I was trying to agree with you and back up your safety remarks (in other words-help you out!). Knock it off with the juvenile "are you on crack" remarks. While amusing-It doesn't lend to your credibility.

I was just quoting what ndahi12 posted to you ("Did you see a Rado getting T-bonned by a Tundra? Not likely. So how do you know how the Rado will do in a similar situation. The IIHS reapted the same test on all the trucks."). I have no reason to doubt your statements. As far as I can tell, the links to the test results indicate that the Tundra is more likely to injure the driver than the GM. Seems pretty simple to me. And I didn't even need an engineering degree to figure that out.
    I never called him a liar. I simply said that you need to t-bone a Rado with a Tundra to see what will happen to the Rado.

When you do crash testing you must do the same tests on all vehicle. I am not doubting what happened to the Tundra. I believe him. But I do not believe that the Rado would have fared any better if it was T-boned by a Tundra.

What also needs to be done is ram the tundra and the Rado on their sides at a constant velocity of say 40mph. Then you can tell which one is safer.

The side area of a turck is one of the weakest and the front area is one of the strongest. So when the front of the Rado rammed the side of the Tundra what are you expecting to see? Of course you will see more damage to the Tundra.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    It's just so hilarious how all of you are so hot and bothered over the Tundra! Its sales numbers are insignificant, has limited options, and gets damaged when t-boned, God forbid...

Why are you all getting your panties in a knot? I know why. Despite the Tundra's "faults," you realize it's just a matter of time before Toyota takes over the full size truck market. It's the beginning of the end. You all remind of the idiots a few decades ago who cried exactly the same way when the imports began competing in the compact and family sedan markets. Now look - today, the Camry is the #1 selling car in America and the Corolla is the #2 selling car in the world!

Now it won't be long before Toyota trucks take over as well! Boo-hoo!

Oh, and maybe that stupid Shakerado t-boned that Tundra because it's famed 4 wheel disk brakes couldn't stop worth a damn, just like Edmunds' long-term Shakerado test truck.

Hmm, brakes that don't work, and a passenger cabin that crushes like styrofoam...wow, talk about safety!

The only price advantage Chevy offers is gas trucks that knock like diesels but for thousands less! Gotta love those knocking engines...but I'll give credit where credit is due. At least Chevy was smart enough to realize that when it comes to offering a TRUE diesel (not an engine that just knocks like one), they knew they were over their head and used an Isuzu engine instead. Then they turned to Allison for a transmission.

I guess Chevy isn't up to the task of heavy duty engines and transmissions and has to contract them out!
    But I thought the results of the crash test you posted were interesting-here's why: Although the Tundra maintained it's structural integrity better than any of the other trucks, the Silverado 1500 was the only truck that recieved "good" ratings in all 4 injury test categories. The Tundra recieved a "Marginal" in one of the leg/foot categories.

While I think that the Tundra's results are impressive, the Silverado's injury prevention results are equally impressive. Do you agree? Based on the results of that test I don't see how you could really say the Tundra is safer than the GM 1500.

Let's do ourselves a favor and not find out through firsthand experience which is safer!! I'd much rather get my info from these test results than from your or my personal experience!
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    But what happens if the crash occurs at over 40mph? Then the Chevy's cabin is going to crush even more (hard to believe, I know) and then what? The driver is spam in a can!

Hey, I personally wouldn't want to go over 40mph in a truck that doesn't stop right, though, so I guess you have a point...
    All I can say is...read the article. The crash did more injury damage to the crash test dummy in the Tundra than the one in the GM. Neither truck is perfect, ok? Try taking your TRD blinders off before reading the article, that may help. If not, maybe I can rent a trained chimpanzee to explain the whole thing to you in way you can better understand.
    Maybe you should have the chimpanzee train you first.

To me, it seems obvious that a truck rated "good"(Tundra) is better than a truck rated "marginal"(Shakerado). Perhaps you should get a dictionary and look up the definition of these two words.

GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE!!!
    First off let me say that I paid $22k for my EXT cab LS Silverado 4x4. It has the 4.8 but not the crap Z71 with "Push button" or autotrac system. Also no offense to our Canadian pal, I know you guys have different tests etc up their. But you guys don't seem to grasp my point. You can believe what you want from the books and the Institute's tests. Fact is how many accidents occur like that?? 5 out of 50?? I made my truck purchase not due to price but mainly safety. Having seen that accident made me think. Granted as someone stated before all accidents in any car will result in damage. The damage I have seen to the Tundra is more then most. I even asked my Insurance adjuster about the Tundra's in accidents. The material used in manufacturing is ligher then GM or Ford. Granted you do have crush and crumple zones. In my accident I actully hadminimal damage concidering a black ice skid and a 180 degree turn into a snow bank winding up on my side(I will be posting pics). I have seen many Toyota's get in accidents but I am not limiting Toyota's in this case. I just go by what I see. That to me is real world. an with the brake issue: First off if you don't know how to use ABS correctly you need to learn. Second if I am correct disc/disc stop better then disc/drum! Don't the Tundra's have this?? And how can a truck not stop correctly?? Unless you guys are racing around like Hondas going 70 in a 30 it should stop fine!! I mean Rado's and Tundra's have weight!. And alot of people are talking about engine knocking and shakes. I change my oil every 500 miles so I don't haveor never had a problem. My understanding is that(A good pal that works for a dealer told me this) this problem is caused by people not changing the oil for 10+k miles. And their excuse is "the oil light never went on" Who can you blame for that GM or yourself?? Also I drive alot n unpaved roads and trails(I live in Alaska you think of it!) I have not had one shake or anything else. And Hillhound I understand you were agreeing with me, but my whole point is that nobody will know the outcome of the impact without seeing it for themselves. And for the Rado hitting a Tundra(First off I would never wish that on anyone) I haven't seen that yet but I probably will in time. But I have seen Several Rado's that have hit Moose. The damage was great, but driver survived. As I said before I go by what I see and not numbers on a screen. What you see is what you get and that's it. I don't understand why nobody understands that. To prove my theory put 2 cars (Say a Vette and a stang) on a dyno. the book says one makes 365 RWHP while the other says 345 RWHP. One really makes 275 while the other makes 325. As so in the case of the Cobra R and the ZO6. So there is my proof. And I never said I disliked the Tundra in anyway. It is a good solid truck with a good engine. Fact is I found another truck for 6g's less. Had the Tundra been at that price I would have bought it. And the stickers today in Alaska for a Tundra were as follows(At Nye) 4x4 access cab V8 28,500. 4x4 limited access cab 4x4(with TRD package) 32,500. Now speaking out of my butt if Toyota came out with a diesel I would definetly take a look.
    Our canadian pal has said that torque is what makes a truck! Yes I do agree fully with you on that one. But when does the torque come into play?? Torque to me in truck terms means more hauling. In car terms it means faster 0-60 times. Take the Gm 4.8 and the Toyota 4.7 for instance. Yes the Tundra has more torque. Yes the Rado has more Hp. But it seems what you lack in Hp you gain in Torque and vice-versa. But what are you gaining as a whole?? What does GM offer standard that Toyota does not?? I am a guy that wants no options on his truck. Just the 4x4 and a V8. If I wanted torque I would have bought a Ram 3500. What I would like to see is 2 real world dyno tests on both these engines to see what they really make just for my own knowledge. And to be tlking about racing in a pick up truck?? I don't race a full size truck like some I see on Sat nights. In fact what type of driver is going to race his pickup truck?? There may be plenty but not for me. I'll leave that job to my bikes.
    Isn't the Tundra made in the U.S??? Would that make it an american truck!!!
    First, You really shouldn't use terms like "[non-permissible content removed]," nor should you infer someone is from a "terrorist nation." In case you haven't been keeping up with current events, there is no such thing as a terrorist nation (or state). Terrorists come in factions and organizations. States that support them are represented by radical controlling powers like the Taliban in Afghanistan. We're over there not only to smoke out terrorists, but to restore a legitimate government to the peace-loving, Islamic people of that country, and they are NOT terrorists. This is way off topic, but necessary for your education. So suspense with the slurs and be civil, okay.

Second, I agree that you are looking to argue. Why did you even bring up VWs in this forum? You looked at my profile and found out my name and that I drive a VW. Your comment are useless, STEVE. BTW, I have only high praise for my '00 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T - 19K miles and no problems at all.

Lastly, let's talk about trucks again. I don't own a Tundra, but am shopping for one. I haven't rules out Silverado entirely either - I need to test drive them both again, but back-to-back this time, but so far my impressions favor Tundra.

As for crashes, you all are making too much out of this. If you're in a full sized truck, chances are any accident you may be in will involve a smaller, lighter vehicle, and you'll do better. The forces and angles in accidents are always different so take all these crash tests as indicators, but not predictors. I've survived a 60 mph rollover without a scratch, and then seen people dead from a 25 mph crash. So regarless of cockpit deformation or crash test dummy injuries, you really never know. I'd feel safe in any truck.

You've been talking too much about price. What's a few thousand dollars either way in the long run? After 6-10 years of driving, which truck will cost less to operate? My other car is a Toyota Sienna, and outside of routine maintenance, has cost me exactly $0 in repairs after 53K miles. I'd expect similar results from a Tundra, but not a Rado. There are plenty of "indicators" out there saying that Toyota bests GM in quality and reliability. And I like very much the fact that Tundras are made in Indiana!!
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    What's up with this???

And as a matter of fact, the tests I was talking about were the same Insurance Institute tests that have not only been blasted across the internet but the same ones that were prominently displayed on NBC Dateline.

Here's a better link from an "independant" source.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/iihs_crash_results.html

Just for your own information...

• farmer_rubefarmer_rube Member Posts: 3
    Them tundra ones is forien, thats for sure! Where them ones is pieced together aint got nothin too do with it. That EPA tells that them tundra ones is forien, facts is facts. All them big3 ones is US of A tells that EPA. Just that simple truth of it now. Look too them window stickers that EPA makes them factorys slap on em, that truth is plain enough for folks to see, just use your eyes for this one now. Good luck on this one now!
    manufactured by a Japanese company but it is manufactured in the United States.

BTW-Someone pointed out above that you would need to crash a Tundra into a rado to do a comparison. Not true, you would need to crash an identical truck (rado) into an extended cab/shortbed rado to make an accurate comparison. You cannot draw ANY conclusions about which truck would be safer in that situation unless you crash a similar sized truck in exactly the same way.
    Ok guys, This thread is going the wrong way. Please get back on topic. This is not a Tundra vs. Big 3 topic. This thread is about Tundra owners rating their truck. Please keep it that way. If you want to post about the Tundra vs. other trucks, then create a new thread for that.
    BTW-Crashing into a snow bank is nothing like crashing into another car or a solid unmoving object. I once spun a tiny little Dodge 2 door on an icy on-ramp into a snow bank. I did almost no damage to the car. Drove it away in fact.

My step-Dad once rolled an old old Saab (96 I think) he used to have on an icy road. Tow truck came, flipped the car over, pulled it out of the ditch and he drove it home. Try doing that with any modern car.

I guess by your logic we should all be driving Saab 96s?
    Let's get back on topic. How about some feedback on my previous post re: truck caps, tonnau covers, tool boxes, etc. What are your favorite accessories for the pick up bed? Brands? OEM vs. aftermarket? Since I'm close to deciding to buy a Tundra, I'd like to know if I should dress it up w/Toyota accessories or other brands. Thanks.
    I haven't really done anything to dress up my Tundra (BTW-don't let the dealer sell you that teflon coating-it is a worthless money making scam).

The only thing I added was an alarm (with keyless entry) and an under the rail bed liner. I would recommend the spray in liners though. Much better in my opinion.

I've been thinking about buying a cap and nerf bars but can't right now. Baby on the way and I'm out of work right now so money is tight.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ok call me dumb

the tundra doesnt come with a keyless entry?
    Not as a standard feature. At least not on my SR-5. It was part of the alarm system they installed. They charged me an extra $150 for it. Well worth it if you ask me though.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    I was thinking about adding it - do you get anything else with that? Like, when you have ABS you get daytime running lights...? Just curious.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    is the steering wheel mount controls for my stereo. I've got the "all the way" 6 CD in dash stereo, but no controls on the steering wheel (like my wife's Sienna has). It's distracting to change stations or mess with the volume (especially after a week in Mommy's van when I could do that from the steering wheel).
    My Tundra is an SR5 and I ordered my Tundra with the alarm installed.

One annoying thing - the default is for the system to lock your doors when you start the truck and unlock them when you shut it off. You had to wait a second or two after shutting off the truck for the doors to unlock or you would have to do it manually. Very annoying.

I was able to disable this "feature" by following a procedure in the manual. You had to follow a procedure such as: open the door, press alarm, close the door, open it again and then cycle the ignition on and off 6 times in 30 seconds. (I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I had to try several times before I sucessfully got it turned off.)
  • bvsbvs Member Posts: 2
    Anyone take there Tundra Off Roading?