Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Thank you so much for all the replies. It all makes a lot more sense now. I think for highway driving during winter (Lake Tahoe region) the RAV4 with some snow tires will def. work.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That mileage does seem poor given it's summer and traffic should be lighter than normal. When fall comes in full swing it might actually drop.

Then again, if you stop using A/C maybe hopefully it won't.

Some people turn off the ignition at long stop lights.

-juice
  • ajg33ajg33 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone driven their '06 RAV4 on the beach? I was wondering how the 4x4 system works in the sand...
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    OH okay thanks all for the comments. It helped a lot. God Bless :)
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I drove on the beach 2 weeks ago. I have to confess, I was a little uneasy about it but had a friend nearby with a modified Jeep and a winch. After reducing the tire presure to 20 lbs .. didn't have a problem and never used the lock.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    This was soft or hard packed sand?
    I will get beat up from people saying there are not Toyota problems but from today's WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115644337137844667.html?mod=home_whats_news_us
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    The page is available only to subscribers!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the one paragraph summary from Yahoo News.

Some models - Toyota doesn't say which ones - may get delayed up to six months to fix quality control issues.
    Growing pains...it's hard to do volumes like this and still maintain quality.

-juice
    My source with a subscription (ok, my brother) sent me the blurb.

"Among the high-volume models that could be affected are the next Sienna minivan, Solara sports coupe and Avalon sedan."

There's more sharing of components across product lines so if a component is flaky, the number of vehicles affected increases.

The other point was that after the Mitsu cover-up scandals, Toyota is being more vocal about notifying the public of problems.

"We used to do quiet recalls called 'service campaigns' to deal with many defects, but we're not going to hide anything any more," said one senior engineer. "Most of the known defects and issues are now handled through recalls."
    I wonder if that will delay the 3.5l for the Sienna. Bummer.

-juice
    Toyota May Delay New Models
    To Address Rising Quality Issues

By NORIHIKO SHIROUZU
    August 25, 2006; Page A1

Toyota Motor Corp., jarred by a surge of recalls and quality problems, is considering tapping the brakes on its ambitious growth plans, delaying introductions of some new models by as much as half a year, people familiar with the matter say.

Toyota has been accelerating its growth world-wide and moving to overtake General Motors Corp. as the world's No. 1 auto maker. In May, the company said capital expenditures in the current fiscal year would reach a record of roughly $14 billion. But the fast-paced expansion has come with a cost: an increasing number of quality problems in North America, Japan and elsewhere that threaten to dent its quality image.

According to senior executives and engineers familiar with the move, the company is considering adding as much as three to six more months to projects that normally call for roughly two to three years of development lead time, in order to stem the growing tide of quality problems. Those individuals say that while some programs would be spared, delays likely would affect a relatively wide range of projects. Among the high-volume models that could be affected are the next Sienna minivan, Solara sports coupe and Avalon sedan.

Toyota's chief spokesman, Shigeru Hayakawa, declined to comment, saying product-development lead times and the specific timing of product launches are "competitive" information. "It's our basic stance that we introduce products in a timely manner while meeting changing needs of the market," he said. "That general direction remains unchanged."

Toyota's rethinking of its fast-paced new-model strategy comes as the Japanese auto giant's sales around the world, and in the U.S., are increasing rapidly. So is the number of Toyota vehicles being recalled for quality problems.

Last year in the U.S. -- its largest market by volume -- Toyota recalled 2.38 million vehicles, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That's more than the 2.26 million it sold. Overall, the company sold nearly eight million vehicles world-wide.

This year, the company has recalled 628,000 vehicles in the U.S., and people familiar with the matter say it may soon recall an additional half-million vehicles. The latest recall would affect the current generation of the Sienna minivan, because of concern that poorly designed locking devices for rear seats may fail to securely anchor them to the vehicle floor.

Recalls also are on the rise in Japan, Toyota's second-largest market, where police and prosecutors are investigating possible professional negligence for shirking recalls for eight years. Investigators are looking at whether a suspected faulty steering part on the Hilux Surf recreational vehicle may have caused an August 2004 head-on crash that injured five people. The Japanese government has reprimanded the company and called for improved recall practices in the wake of the police probe.

For the most part, Toyota's recalls have involved relatively minor issues and nearly all have been voluntary actions by the company, not the kind in which consumer complaints prod the government into action, says manufacturing guru James Womack, chairman of the Lean Enterprise Institute in Cambridge, Mass.

Many analysts say the recent rise in recalls may not cause consumers to avoid Toyota cars at all. Despite the rise in recalls, third-party quality surveys by J.D. Power & Associates and Consumer Reports continue to rank Toyota high in initial and medium-term vehicle quality and reliability.

Still, Toyota has painstakingly built a reputation for superior quality over the past three decades, and the soaring number of recalls has been highly embarrassing for its management. At a news conference last month, Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe offered an elaborate apology.

"I take this seriously and see it as a crisis," Mr. Watanabe said. He then bowed deeply in front of the cameras, adding, "I want to apologize deeply for the troubles we have caused."

Though not final, a move to slow product cycles would mark a step back from an aggressive strategy for global expansion set in motion in the mid-1990s by then-President Hiroshi Okuda.

The strategy called for engineers to pump out more vehicles to fuel the company's growth around the world. Product-development bosses kept engineers on tight launch schedules. Toyota also began relying more heavily on computer-aided design tools to radically compress vehicle-development times by skipping steps such as making physical prototypes to test components.

Using these high-tech tools, Toyota cut new-model development time to as short as about two years -- compared with three or four years in the past. According to officials at the Toyota product-development and engineering center in Ann Arbor, Mich., virtual-engineering tools have helped the company slash the number of prototypes it builds per project to fewer than 20 from 60.

But the new approach, which allowed its main advocate Yoshio Shirai, a senior managing director, to gain a seat on Toyota's board, is now suspected of contributing to the recent rash of embarrassing quality glitches.

Additionally, Toyota executives and engineers say, some mistakes are happening because computer-aided engineering tools have limitations that allow potential design flaws to slip through. Others point to increased use of parts designed by outside suppliers like Delphi Corp. that aren't part of the traditional circle of Toyota partners in Japan.

A slowdown would follow a set of actions announced by the company after the Japanese government's reprimand of its recall policies. In a report submitted to the government, Toyota said it would upgrade a new data network for sharing technical information and product-quality reports from customers in order to handle recalls more efficiently. It also will increase staff at its quality-control headquarters.

Earlier this year, Mr. Watanabe named two executive vice president
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Among the high-volume models that could be affected are the next Sienna minivan, Solara sports coupe and Avalon sedan.

I believe I had read in Motor Trend that Toyota had previously announced that the Solara will not be in the lineup after it's normal generational change (2008??), due to slow sales.

This wouldn't seem to affect (effect??) the RAV4, as it is in it's 1st year now, and will (IMHO) likely stay with the same mechanicals thru it's current generation.
    The only part of that article that seems even remotely tied to the RAV4 is the comment about the Japanese sold SUVs that share rear axle designs but mixing the parts together is a concern because the different materials used.

Hmm, that part of the article got truncated by our posting limit.
    Edmund's site has pricing on 2007 RAV4 now. The only real increase was JBL up about $300. For Bluetooth and Sat radio functons I guess.
    Steve I think you missed the whole point of the article. Toyota is building a tremendous number of vehicles with lots of new models and lots of new technology. Like all companies these days they try to do it faster and faster to cut cost and cyle time. With the bigger numbers of everything comes bigger numbers of problems on new things including the RAV4. Why do you think you seem so many problems being posted.

Managing big, complicated things whether Toyota , Space Shuttle or Airbus 380 brings problems that require time and effort to work out. I doubt much that all the stuff you see posted is suddenly fixed on 2007 RAV4.
    Ok, I see what you mean (inserting another cup of coffee here). I better go read up some more in the Can Toyota handle being number 1? discussion. :shades:

Maybe they got a bit too far ahead of the curve with the CAD stuff?

My brother summed it up nicely - "Don't tell me Toyota is gonna be the next Nissan...." :shades:
    soft or hard packed sand?

Actually ran through both. I had to go through the soft stuff to get to the hard packed sand.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just a few years ago didn't I see a news article wherein Toyota proposed or intended to raise prices in order to give US automotive manufacturers a bigger slice of the pie?

Makes one wonder if this serious slide in traditional Toyota and Lexus quality and reliability is simply happenstance.

Regardless, I'll never go back to the US brands.
    I remember that, too, and it wasn't that long ago. I think it was early this year.

It was silly, though, because Toyota had rebates at the time. An empty promise, really.

-juice
  • jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    Can someone tell me where they get the True Market Value figure from when the '07 RAV's are not even on the lots yet? :confuse:
    Maybe Mr. Edmunds bought the first one at that price :P Just kidding. I made the assumption that someone just put in the numbers and used MSRP for now for until there are some real numbers for TMV.

My thoughts:Forget TMV. Buy a 2006 at invoice now if you want one. Buy a 2007 at $500 over invoice soon. At least in the east I am sure it can be done for most models. And the Toyota quality news will make the sales ease off a little. Wishfull thinking maybe.
    If you are in the East looking for a loaded limited, here is one at a little over invoice:
    http://www.lustinetoyota.com/profile.asp?VIN=JTMBK31V465010363&xMake=&FilterMake- =0
    "During the annual new model year changeover, we report TMV prices for new vehicles within a few weeks of launch, despite the fact that we may have significantly less retail transaction data to work with than at other times of the model year. This is in response to consumer feedback requesting that we estimate the TMV for these new models as quickly as possible. As we collect additional market data, we refine the TMV prices to reflect the actual marketplace. TMV has become such a valuable pricing research tool for our customers that we don't want to leave you "blind" during the new model transition."

How We Calculate New TMV® Prices
  • lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    I have noticed TMV price often ignores the "Factory to Dealer" incentives (in the sense that if Toyota starts a new "Factory to Dealer" rebate effective tomorrow, TMV price won't change effective tomorrow). Other websites often show a lower price because they take into account such incentives. Sorry for being offtopic. Can you provide some more info?
    Manufacturer to dealer incentives are plugged into the formula - the consumer rebates aren't because you can opt to take the rebate or apply it to the down payment. So consumer rebates don't affect the actual transaction price.

"Edmunds.com True Market Value prices are revised for new vehicles every 30 days and for used vehicles every six weeks. However, if there are events that occur between regularly scheduled updates that have an impact (such as a change in manufacturer-to-dealer incentives), we make every effort to reflect those events immediately." link

The Edmunds Pricing & TMV discussion has more nitty-gritty and don't forget the Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for more numbers.
  • jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    IMO I think the TMV numbers are always too high. This goes for used cars as well as new ones.
    If you're hanging out here, you're an educated consumer. An educated consumer can often beat TMV. :shades:
  • lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    Thanks for the information.

I bought a 06 CR-V 2WD LX last month. TMV (including destination charge) was $19866. Carsdirect website price was $19007. I printed out pages of the Carsdirect website and showed to a dealer. The dealer said he would beat Carsdirect and offered me $18999 - I bought without any hesitation. FYI, the final price of $18999 was roughly $400 below the invoice price.

The way Edmunds calculates TMV is okay. But Edmunds price often higher than Carsdirect price (which is not TMV) and that bothers me. Can Edmunds also show something like "Best Possible Deal" besides TMV?
    If you look at Toyota build and buy in the SE region (zip 34423) you will see two hundred and two 2007 RAV4s on the way with the first arriving 9/2/06
    I guess it works both ways. Some people have found that
    TMV price is usually a little lower that Carsdirect. Like this person:

tygar, "CarsDirect.com experiences" #706, 22 Jun 2005 12:06 pm

There's a similar discussion here:

Carmax: What's Your Experience?

Best Possible Deal? Too many variables to know, and the spiffs and incentives change all the time.

Check out some of the discussions over in Smart Shopper - Tidester will have some good ones to suggest I'm sure.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • mtwebstermtwebster Member Posts: 7
    I've had a 2006 RAV4 for about 7 months now, a base model 4wd 4 cylinder, and there are a few things I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced:

- Bogged acceleration. I notice quite often that when coming out of a stop, the vehicle will have very little go-power, almost like flooding the carburator in an older car. I brought it up with my dealer, and they said that the shift computer won't allow hard accelleration in 1st gear (and indeed, won't even downshift to 1st unless I floor it), when the gear case oil isn't up to a minimum temperature. While I can understand this from a wear and tear preventative standpoint, it can be quite a dangerous thing too, when you need the power and have none. This has happened to me multiple times pulling into busy traffic and practically stalling.

-AC - Not as effective as I would expect a 2006 latest technology vehicle to have. Again, the dealer says all is working fine, but I remain unimpressed with its ability to cool the vehicle

-Stereo - More than once, I've gotten into my RAV4 in the afternoon, turned on my radio, and noticed the LCD showing mostly gibberish, due to the heat I imagine, but still, I would expect better. I am considering bringing this up to the dealer, but it hasn't resulted in permanent damage yet (the next morning the radio is fine).

The acceleration thing bothers me the most, but I don't that I can convince the dealer that this 'feature' of theirs is dangerous, if that is indeed what is causing my problems.
    mtwebster - you have identified a couple of "known" issues. Throtle lag, while I haven't experienced it in my V6, has been reported by others. Do a search on this topic and you will find a lot of info. My AC will freeze you out of the car so something is a miss with yours. Is it the automatic temperature control or manual? The stereo is a known problem and Toyota is replacing head units. Again, I'd suggest you search each of these topics.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Did you know that in the "olden" days of 4 barrel carburators the rear, BIG, barrels had a thermostatic device that kept them from opening until the engine had warmed up.

Now they do that with firmware.
  • goosiegoosie Member Posts: 4
    Descriptions of the acceleration problem(s) can be found among the 22 safety complaints re: 2006 RAV4 on file with the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    - search "complaints" section for 2006 RAV4).
    Note that you can also MAKE a complaint on the NHTSA site about a dangerous condition, such as the (non)acceleration issue you described.

Descriptions of at least the no-acceleration issue can also be found on internet forums. See, e.g., Edmunds.com: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d2e96/47.
    Note that the above-referenced Edmunds post is likely authored by one of the NHTSA complainants - similar wording – but see posts before and after it on Edmunds and see other forums on Edmunds.com, Rav4world.com, etc., for other people’s descriptions and comments.

Finally, when you search boards for the throttle issue, search using the words "accelerate" and/or "acceleration" and/or "pick-up."

Good luck.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By the way, it's spelled carburetor and I only mention that so people doing a search in the Forums can find your postings. Of course, that's provided they can spell it too! ;)

tidester, host
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    Welcome to the world of the 2006 Rav4. Both issues i've noticed. The hesitation or lack of anything problem is a serious safety defect. I've had slight hesitation which of course they state "normal". But i've had 4 instances when pushing to accelerate absolutely nothing. Don't try and jump in heavy fast traffic without momentum. It'll take a few deaths or serious injuries before Toyota responds. I've noted with NHTSA as have others.
    Yes, the radio is a nightmare. Dealer has ordered one for me, but says long wait. And from other posts i've noted even replacements failing.
    My first Toyota and probably last. Shame cause other than these 2 things i like the vehicle.
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    Well isn't this speeeeecial. Direct from Toyota. Dealer has ordered a new one, but obvious Toyota ain't doing a #$&*$# thing about it.
    We apologize for your CD player/changer concern.
    We have checked your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and determined that your 2006 Rav4 is currently not involved in any Special Service Campaigns.
    Because we are unable to directly inspect your vehicle, we are not in a position to provide a technical diagnosis of the concern you are experiencing. In order to properly assess your concerns, we recommend you contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership to further evaluate your Rav4.
  • kutyafalkutyafal Member Posts: 27
    I had my second test drive of the Rav4 V6 this weekend (I recommend people do at least 2 or 3 test drives) and my opinion of it has been lowered significantly this time. The hesitation, touchy throttle and way too quick steering was all there but also was the cheap plastic I noticed this time and the non-performing AC. During the 30 minutes test drive in 95F heat it never got cold enough in the back. Don't even want to think about the 3rd row passengers.

The main issue I was interested in at this time was 4wd performance. I couldn't do traction tests in mud and snow for obvious reasons but I did drive into a ditch diagonally slowly to see how well the traction control works. I couldn't even get any wheels up in the air before everybody started freaking out from all the squeaking and groaning noises! I was afraid a glass somewhere is going to bust, so I backed out and called it done.

For comparison I did the same thing in a DEEP ditch in a 06 Grand Vitara and it drove right through and OUT with only two diagonal wheels having traction with the aid of the traction control. Not a single noise from the body! Stiff as a rock. Given that it can be locked to even torque F and R and the ESP can be turned off I wager to say it'll do better in mud and snow than the Rav4. Probably on par with the Subarus. Except the Vitara has a low range which will get you a LOT farther up the hill and over rough stuff.

After this test drive and having just ridden in a 06 Highlander today I say utilize the good deals to be found on used Highlanders these days and sleep easy. Probably the best bang for the buck if room is of concern. If you don't need a lot of room than for the money it is the 06 Grand Vitara, no questions.
    Interesting. I traded in my '04 V6 Highlander Limited on a new '06 Rav4 Limited 4 cylinder and I am very happy with my choice. Not as quick of course but much better mileage and maneuverability. I would not consider a Suzuki.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    "I couldn't even get any wheels up in the air before everybody started freaking out from all the squeaking and groaning noises!"

I get the feeling the noises you were hearing are from the VSC/TRAC. The 4WD system is seamless and quiet. Also, with the push of a button the RAV can be locked in for immediate front and rear traction. However, it will cancel once you exceed 25 miles an hour.

Keep in mind this RAV was never intended for off roading (most new cross-over vehicles aren't). If you believe the Grand Vitara better suits your needs, then that is the vehicle you should be buying.
    The GV is better suited for off roading, for sure, it even has the low range as mentioned earlier, at least on some models. On the other hand, read about the 4WD systems because some of them are not full-time, I believe you have to get the high-end models to get that.

I actually test drove one. Liked it OK, but nothing was really all that compelling about it. It was just a competent compact SUV. Smaller than the RAV4, for sure, and the V6 only seems to make about the same power as the 4 cylinder competition.

Plus the engine sounds raspy. Like your blender when crushing ice.

-juice
    Well I thoughe one of the rules of driving was to keep the car out of a ditch! I must be old or old fashioned I guess.

Regarding fast steering, that is one of the nice features provided you don't get stupid about it at speed and end up on the roof!
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    but the Rav is terrific...I have the Sport and love the ride and power and quick handling. Sorry to hear about other issues. I too would be pretty upset if I had the throttle lag I am hearing about. The V6 does not do this. IT will push you back in your seat... :shades:

Jimmy Drew
  • lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    Is the lag more prevalent on the 4cyl, or is the V6 also affected?
    Well, typical Edmunds. They get the top of the line Hyundai Limited and Grand Touring Mazda but then opt for the Rav4 Sport. Then they complain that the Rav doesn't have auto temp control or leather seating available. Well duh! Why did they not test the Limited and compare apples to apples?