Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Well 'wwest' - you seem to be the knowledgeable expert on the 4wd system. Firstly- Where do you find out these things? I'd like to learn more about some vehicles. Secondly- How off road capable do you think the new RAV4 will be?

I need to occasionally get up some 4WD roads. They're not real nasty- but do have some steep and rocky parts. My current chevy blazer has no problems with it- but it does have a locking differential.

So- I'm looking for a midsized SUV. I'd like to go with a crossover- for their handling and better fuel economy, but also need a bit of capability off road. Yeah- the Touareg would do the job, but it's heavy, sucks fuel, and isn't particularly reliable. The RX330 is nice, but I haven't believed that it could really go off road.

Got any thoughts? Vehicle suggestions?
  • manifoldmanifold Member Posts: 57
    The 06 Suzuki Grand Vitara has a lo range,locking diff, ladder frame etc and is offroad capable.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good suggestion. Also check out an XTerra or 4Runner, since they're discounting them big-time nowadays.

-juice
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Juice-
    the Xterra and 4Runner are certainly both off road capable. And the 4R' is reasonable on road- but as a day to day commuter- I was hoping to find something a little less trucky. since, like most of us, 99.9% of my driving is still on the road.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    That's interesting. The rear wheels on my Highlander would spin instantaneously. My co-worker and I once took the HL and his AWD Sienna out to a slick parking lot and stomped the gas while someone stood outside the car. Both axles always spun at once and the vehicles would move without a problem. There was also a slick loading ramp that we drove up without a problem. We "borrowed" another co-workers Accord, and it would only make it halfway up the ramp. Since I've also tested my AWD Matrix during the same conditions and again, have had no problems

Now these weren't scientific tests but I feel they represented real world scenarios fairly well. My point is that these types of AWD systems should be fine for most wet/snowy road conditions.
    They can probably sense the throttle position (you floored it) and sent power to the rear axle by the time the engine built up enough revs to deliver the power.

-juice
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Since I will be selling them soon I think it's a bit steep but that being said..

The RAV is the Camry.. normally Toyota's SUV's are a few thousand higher than the equivalent car; more metal, bigger body, different buyer profile!! A loaded up XLE Camry is in the $28K range.. $30-31 makes sense for the loaded up RAV.

I think that a price in the $28-29K range loaded up would have been a killer... but would it have been too much demand? IMO the RAV is still intended to be mainly a 4c vehicle.

One other poster reminded me that the one tested by Edmunds had the Rear Entertainment System.. there's $1800 by itself. Now $30Kish makes sense.
    I think if you got a base V6, AWD, 3 row model, then added aftermarket NAV ($400 or so for starters) to it, you'd have a solid value. For $200 now you can also get a DVD player with two seperate screens for the headrests.

So you could get all that functionality for $26-27k, I imagine.

You could even go aftermarket and get a built-in DVD, the type that goes on the headrests, and stay in a reasonable price range.

OE options are pricey, I'm sure that's where they make the highest margins.

-juice
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "OE options are pricey, I'm sure that's where they make the highest margins."

Which makes it even more strange that a navigation system is not offered! Yet they offer an $1800 rear entertainment system that will appeal to far fewer buyers...
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    You guys all have valid points, I guess It's hard to get past the fact that it's a RAV4 in the cute-ute class. When the sticker says 32K I've always thought of the mid-size class like the Pilot, regardless of HP and features, maybe things will change after seeing it in person. I want to see the 4 cyl. in that Green color with Oak interior! I hope it can be had for 25K O.T.D.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    If you're looking for a Cute-Ute, wait for the next Matrix. Seems like that will fill the shoes of the previous RAV4. Toyota is just repositioning their SUV's. Highlander will be "near full" size crossover, RAV 4 will be near midsize crossover and Matrix will be cute-ute.

It's just a bit confusing for consumers since we've had what, 10 years of the RAV4 as a cute-ute. It's hard to imagine it moving into another asset class so quickly. It's one thing with the Honda Civic and Accord, they grew them gradually, from generation to generation. The new RAV4 is a quantum leap jump up in size, it seems.
    With cloth and possibly a Moonroof as a 2WD I'd bet my next paycheck that you could. LOL..NO negative equity..

I'd say the same for a 4c 4WD too with standard equipment.

Soon.. soon
  • 6daysonroad6daysonroad Member Posts: 8
    Hate to sound redundant but,,, Does 2006 Rav4 have BT or not?
    Please inquirying minds need to know...
    Here's a link to previous preliminary specs. I've yet to read anywhere about bluetooth availability? Maybe you can see something I missed.
    raydahs, "2006 Toyota Rav4" #558, 22 Nov 2005 8:10 am

UPDATE - open the link and save the pic to your hard drive, then zoom in on the Right button located on the steering wheel...it looks like a phone to me?
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/View?id=TYT2005110217030
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    Speaking of options-----
    what about a security/alarm system as an option? I want such a system to keep insurance costs down and, even more important, for my own peace of mind. Doesn't Camry have an image problem as one of America's most stolen cars?? I am very interested in the 2006 RAV4 V 6, but may not order one if I can not have a factory installed security system. Toyota- please reflect on this. I will buy the V 6 sports, but only if a factory installed security system is offered as an option.
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    Even after viewing the specs I could find, still didn't see any clearance number for this RAV4. Did anyone know it?
    I want such a system to keep insurance costs down and, even more important, for my own peace of mind. Doesn't Camry have an image problem as one of America's most stolen cars??

The new feature for security is the engine immobilizer system. The chips loaded into the heads of your 3 keys must be recognized by your engine's computer when the key is inserted into the ignition or else the engine simply will not turn over. It's much much better than an alarm security system. Without a key a potential thief has to use a tow truck to steal your vehicle.

Your info on stolen Camry's is 15 years old. Since the 1992 model came out there hasnt been a significant problem. But... if you do own a 1986-1991 model Camry those are still being stolen!!! For reference look up the stolen vehicle loss data at www.auto-theft.info for example or do a google search.

Some of the latest data:

Top Vehicle Thefts by Year, Make, and Model for 2002
    1989 Toyota Camry
    1994 Honda Accord
    2000 Honda Civic
    1992 Chevrolet Full Size C/K Pickup
    1997 Ford Full Size Pickup (150/250/350)
    1993 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
    1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass/Supreme/Ciera
    1994 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
    1996 Ford Taurus
    2001 Toyota Corolla

Source: National Crime Information Center

PS. All Toyotas have a Security System option. It's called the VIP Security System. It can be installed at the factory ( not likely ) at the port most often or at the dealership. It's all the same. If you want it order it that way. It's No problem. You can get one on a $13K Scion xA so you can definitely get one on a $25K RAV.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    >

I recall reading an article not that long ago that said only a very small percentage of mainstream (not luxury) car buyers were opting for the NAV systems. They may be "shopping" them, but aren't biting for the $2,000 premium. And other reports have shown that they return poorly at resale time.

I'm thinking about getting a portable nav system myself. But I'm a pretty unique user. I need to find multiple residences for my work almost daily, and then on many weekends I make a long 7 hour drive to our other home where my wife works. I doubt most folks have that kind of requirement. Everybody knows where their job is, where the mall is, and where their kids' schools are. Which is most of the miles they'll be using it.

$2,000 is the nearly the price difference in 2wd vs 4wd, or 4 cyl vs 6 cyl. The RAV4 is a reasonably affordable vehicle. Most RAV4 buyers are probably more value oriented than enthusiasts here. For those who hate the new styling, a $1,000 (net after selling takeoffs) investment in bigger wheels/tires should make a significant difference in a more aggressive look and performance.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    on the Sport aren't big enough on a vehicle this size?!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

On page 3 of the specification sheet, it says minimum ground clearance is (7.5"). For comparison matters only, the CR-V comes in at (8.1")
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I wonder how many of these 'loaded' 32K Ravs are actually sold. I think the bread and butter will be the 4 cylinder base with a 3rd row seat. That is what I am looking for and quite simply price is what will sell me over the FOresetr, Crv and others. Wonder what that model will go for for. I can get a V auto AWD LX right now for 21.8 plus tax. I can get a Forester for 21K out the door! The RAV no doubt will initially attract a number of buyers but if it is not priced in this range.....I don't know. It will have a 3rd row seat but still does not offer the side bags standard. Wish I had Invioce pricing...
    I think the bread and butter will be the 4 cylinder base with a 3rd row seat. That is what I am looking for and quite simply price is what will sell me over the FOresetr, Crv and others.

Your comments cover nearly 80% of all RAV shoppers. $21 OTD is a good buy now. If the RAV is as hot as Edmunds predicts then it will be near sticker well into next year and likely most models will have significant options so $23-28K is most likely the vehicle price +TTF
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "It's hard to imagine it moving into another asset class so quickly."

Isn't that exactly what Nissan did with the Altima a few years back? Went from a Corolla-Civic size car to Camry- Accord size.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    True points, but things you cant get in a Forester at any price:

1) Stability Control
    2) Side Impact Head Protection for Rear Passengers.

For the safety minded, those two items may warrant going with the CRV LX (where those items are standard) or the new RAV (where VSC is standard and Curtains are expected to be a very typical option).

~alpha
    airbags or not! ...and we won't even go into who has the best AWD system!
    The IIHS rates the current RAV4 as a "Double-Best Pick" and NOT the Forester. The RAV4 has standard stability control, which has BEEN proven to reduce the risk of single vehicle crashes and fatalities in those crashes. Stability control is not available on the Forester.

Get a RAV4 with side curtains, and its "safer" than the Forester.

[AWD system has little to do with it, and yes, Subaru's is phenomenal, as I have experienced it firsthand in my 'rents 05 Legacy's. But, were I to start skidding off the road, AWD isnt going to save me from hitting a tree, VSC just might.]

~alpha
    I bet a NAV option appears before the end of the first model year. Subaru did this with the Tribeca 5 passenger models - it appeared about 6 months after the debut.

myob: very good point, I think an upgrade to AWD or the V6 is worth a whole heck of a lot more than NAV. And that's coming from a huge NAV fan, someone that owns one.

I'm not sure I'd get a 4cyl with the 3rd row. With 7 people in there that engine is going to struggle to get it moving.

alpha - those differences already exist, though. Plus the Forester is a Best Pick by IIHS in offset and and Good in side crash tests already, Quad 5 star from NHTSA too. And that is with no optional equipment.

Even the new RAV4 makes SAC optional. I bet most models on the dealer floor will *not* have the option. When my wife shopped for a Camry back in 2002, we could not find a single 5-speed manual with the optional ABS.

Frustrating...though you can custom order.

Any how, I think size it was will distinguish the RAV4, it'll be so much bigger that those who need the space won't even be shopping for a Forester.

And FWIW at $32.7k, you're comparing with a Tribeca, not a Forester.

It will take us a while to get used to the relative positioning of the now much bigger RAV4, in both size and price.

-juice
    Fair enough, but: 2002 was 4 model years ago, and Camrys on dealer lots around here frequently have the SAC as part of their optional equipment- both demand and supply of this safety device has changed significantly significantly since your wife's shopping (ABS is now standard). When the RAV is actually available, we shall see.

I concur the Forester is a safe vehicle, I just feel the RAV4 with side curtains is not going to be a tough find, and the RAV offers stability standard, which is not available on ANY Forester, at ANY price. Thats my point.

The new RAV4 is about the same size exterior-wise as the current CRV, yes? Is the CRV much larger than the Forester? I do not know.

"I'm not sure I'd get a 4cyl with the 3rd row. With 7 people in there that engine is going to struggle to get it moving."

Probably true, but how often are folks going to be using the RAV4 for hauling 7 full-size adults? 1% of the time. I doubt the unladen RAV will be much slower, if at all, than some other similar vehicles- again the Forester comes to mind.

At 32.7K, its kind of in-between the Forester Turbo and Tribeca- you can't get a 7 Passenger Tribeca w/Leather and Rear Entertainment for that price...and of course, I've not seen a time for the Trib from 0-60 thats faster than Car and Driver's 9.2, I believe.... and both the Forester and RAV4 V6 will blow that away.

~alpha
    Agreed about Toyota adding more standard safety features since '02.

However, my point was, and remains, that when dealers see safety features as extra-cost options, they often leave them out, at least they don't order cars that way for their lots. I guess it's easier to sell a flashy item like a DVD player.

Indeed, we'll see, and I hope I'm wrong! LOL

Toyota should make SAC standard. Subaru should also make stability control available on Foresters, better yet, standard as well! Remember, they're partners now, so I bet Toyota will pressure Subaru to put stability control on every SUV they sell, like Toyota has done (wisely so).

Size-wise, I'll wait to sit in the new RAV4. I think if space efficiency is good, it could be bigger than anything in its class, indeed really push towards the mid-size segment. CR-V is almost there, almost.

Also I wonder about payload. That's a biggie.

The old RAV4 only had a 760 lb payload, 5 male adults exceeds that easily, never mind luggage. Heck, 4 male adults exceeds that. :D

So let's see about the new one, is that data available?

Forester has about 900 lbs payload, and 173hp to pull it. Now imagine a 1200 or so lb payload with less power...plan those uphills carefully.

Someone who plans to use the 3rd row often would be better off with the V6. More payload requires more power.

In a pinch, I'm sure the 4 banger could pull 2 adults and maybe 4 kids adequately.

-juice
    I am not implying the new RAV is not safe. The addition of side airbags and Stability control does not guarantee it will be safer than the Forester. Have they crash tested the new RAV yet? The Foreser w/out side airbargs rates higher in crash tests than many with them. That was my point.

Also, look at the Escape. Even equipped with all the safety features it is reported to be more prone to roll over....safety is relative.

All this being said, Subaru should likely add these features and make the Forester a bit wider. My point is that if the new RAV is priced much higher than the V or Forester, after the initial infatuation, folks may stay with what is proven, safe and cheaper.

I look forward to seeing the new RAV and its invoice price. There is no doubt it will run circles around the 96 Rav we currently own.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Once you "start" skidding off the road VSC has already activated and failed.
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    Will factory satellite radio be available?
    Not in my experience.

~alpha
    It can save you, it won't break the laws of physics but it has been proven to be very effective, more so than ABS.

Subaru needs to get with the program and offer it.

I don't see these competing directly any more, the Forester is a compact, this isn't. The euro RAV4 is. I wonder if they'll offer that here?

That would be interesting, sell a RAV4 LWB and SWB model. They could easily do that. Remember when the first gen had a 2 door model? They've done it before. I bet they do eventually.

Forester would compete with the shorter, euro model.

-juice
    Have they crash tested the new RAV yet? The Foreser w/out side airbargs rates higher in crash tests than many with them. That was my point.

Comparing apples to apples current Forester to current RAV the RAV comes out ahead. That's all that can be said until the new RAV is tested.

IIHS recommendations:
    1st RAV double best pick + VSC
    2nd CR-V single best pick
    3rd Forester single best pick

The current Forester is good of course but the current RAV is somewhat safer.

Price: Typically Toyota does not move the prices of similar models much when a redsign is launched. Therefore I'd expect the new '06 4c FWD to be very similar to the '05 4c FWD, possibly something added for the larger interior. ABS/BA, EBD, VSC/Trac all standard. Concerning S+C A/B there are still a lot of people, like many Camry buyers, who refuse this option.

If there are 2 Camry's next to each other on the lot and one has GY and the other is a Base LE most buyers will avoid the A/B option... even if I explain to them the benefits. 'Nah, never had one before so I dont need it.
    Oh, BTW, can you take these mats out I can get them cheaper at Auto Express.'
    "That would be interesting, sell a RAV4 LWB and SWB model. They could easily do that. Remember when the first gen had a 2 door model? They've done it before. I bet they do eventually."

They have said they won't. They quit selling the SWB RAV here many years ago because of slow sales. Toyota likes to go for the volume and cancel the small potatoes. And in the case of the U.S., I am sure the presumption is that bigger will sell better. They are right too, I'll bet.

There is talk of moving the Matrix up at the model revision in 18 months to replace RAV as the "cute ute" in Toyota's line-up. That would be another strike against a potential SWB RAV offering here.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• atlhoosieratlhoosier Member Posts: 5
    First time poster here, but I've been following the discussion re the 2006 Rav4 for some time. One of the things we need in the ATL is a GREAT air conditioning system, and I'm concerned that the 4cyl engine would be insufficient to drive both the AC and pull the vehicle with sufficient power. Of course the obvious response is get the V6, which we're considering.

Anybody got good information regarding how the 4 cyl engine is likely to respond to heavy AC use?
    Wait a sec, though - you quoted scores for the RAV4 with optional equipment. If you look at scores with standard equipment only, Forester wins. It's just not as clear-cut as you imply. At least put a big (*) there.

Also, although the bumper basher tests were not designed to test for safety, in the rear collisions the current RAV4's rear window shattered and threw glass all over the place, not exactly safe if my 2 kids were in the back.

VSC is very nice, but a 5pmh rear-ender is far more likely to happen than someone in an AWD Forester skidding off the road. I'm not minimizing the importance of stability control, just looking at real-world odds of things that actually happen. I've been rear-ended in my Forester, at much more than 5mph, and the interior was completely intact.

Bummer - IIHS doesn't appear to have the info on-line any more, I was hoping to include a photo of a RAV4 with shattered glass flying all over the place to emphasize my point. :P

-juice
    Not the safest image that comes to mind....
    That's the first I'd heard of it getting electric PS. I know it's more efficient, but I have yet to sample such a system that I like. The feel is too artificial on cars like the Saturn Vue. I'll see if Toyota managed to tune the feedback any better.

Good review.

-juice
    "Surprisingly, the electric power steering feels well weighted and natural (take note, GM) with no slack at all on-center. "

FWIW, juice, thats what Edmunds said about the steering.

~alpha
    Good news. The Vue's is awful, interestingly Edmunds used the same example that I did.

-juice
    Interesting quote from the motorweek test:
    "One surprise is the RAV4's very firm, most un-car-like ride. Indeed on all but the smoothest paved roads it felt sports car harsh. And we found road noise was quite intrusive. On the other hand, the RAV4's four-wheel independent suspension, with front MacPherson struts and rear double wishbones, shines on twisty roads. It's tight, agile and entertaining"

Here's the link to the complete test. They have the wrong pictures in though. http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2513a.shtml
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    Exterior body colors....

What about colors? I eagerly await the opportunity to order a 2006 Rav4 269 hp or find one on the lot and drive it off. I would like silver, but not "classic silver". That shade of silver seems so outdated and FLAT. "Silver birch", a color that Lincoln- Ford- Mercury began to offer just a few years ago is so much more "updated silver", and would look superior on the Rav4- AND- all other Toyota vehicles. Think about it, Toyota. Do I have to end up with a white Rav4??
    Thanks!!!!
  • guy26guy26 Member Posts: 4
    An earlier post said side and curtain air-bags would not be an available option for Canadian RAV4 models. Anyone else know if this is true or not? If unavailable it would be a definite deal-breaker.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    C&D's review states a 0-60 of 6.3!

And they ended the review with "We still don't know how to classify the Rav4, except as fairly marvelous." :shades:

If it can seat 7, haul tail better than a Civic Si, provide AWD traction, cost less than $25k, and look good doing it, hard not to applaud this effort. Another nail in GM's coffin?

DrFill
    6.3 seconds? That gives Ford something to shoot for with the '07 Escape ('08? '09?) :-P

And the Equinox? Forget the Equinox. Three years from now, they will still be trying to figure out if they can afford to boost it 15 hp to an even 200 by trading out the ancient 3.4 for the Malibu 3.5.

It does make me wonder what Honda will do with the new CRV. Will they play the game and offer an optional V-6?

My RAV would probably be a base V-6 AWD - I am sure I would have to order it to get it without a zillion options and packages. $24K sounds just about right to me.

I STILL want to know if you can leave it in the 55/45 split mode all the time, or if that is only for low-speed travel.