Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    The Tundra hit 60 mph in 8.5 seconds, compared with 9.0 seconds in the GMC, which was powered by the 270-hp, 5.3-liter pushrod V-8. The Toyota covered the quarter-mile in 16.6 seconds at 83 mph, a little quicker than the Sierra's 17.0 seconds at 81 mph. The Tundra was governed to 105 mph, the GMC to 98 mph.

The Tundra stopped much quicker from 70 mph, taking just 201 feet, 18 fewer than the GMC. Neither set the skidpad on fire, with the Toyota taking the 300-foot circle at 0.72 g, the Sierra at 0.68 g.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    270hp 5.3 what yr truck was that?

my 5.3 has 285hp
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    How fast does the tundra hit 60 with a 12000 lb 5th wheel behind it?How does it do on the skidpad with the bed full over the top with broken up concrete?What's the top speed with the optional 8.1 V8 and Allison tranny?
    kip
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    Trucks are not always known for their steering and road feel, but it’s here that the Tundra’s sharp rack-and-pinion system puts it at the head of the class.

We’re happy to report that ... the Tundra exhibits a near carlike ride on the highway and spirited handling in the twisties. Sure, the ride was firm, but not harsh like the Silverado.

http://www.trucktrend.com/

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The Active-Trac is more sophisticated than the GM systems except for the Escalade. VERY cool in the winter and pretty nice all other times as well.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    thanks for the reply. do you drive a Tundra? How does it handle in the snow, slush, slippery wet roads? Any one take their Tundra off-road? Anyone use it for their hunting vehicle?

Leo
    Yes, I own a Tundra and have generally been happy with its performance in snow. Ice isn't even much of a problem if you know what you are doing and don't drive like an idiot. Just remember that it is still a conventional 4 wheel drive system and you can't engage it on dry or even just wet pavement. You need some form of a full time system to do that.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    My 1990 4Runner owners manual said something about occasionally putting the thing in 4WD (even when you don't need it) to keep the front drive components lubricated. Believe it said something about weekly or monthly. I don't recall it warning me not do this.

On my Tundra I still do this, however in heeding your many warnings I only do it for straight line driving and only for a few hundred feet at a time.

In your honest opinion - Cliffy, et. al., is this beneficial or not needed or dangerous?

Jeff
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I think if you are going in a straight line it cannot be harmful. I do it on rainy days (not a problem in the Pacific Northwest)
  • ajc652ajc652 Member Posts: 1
    Is there an aftermarket LSD for the Tundra 4x4 with ABS? LSD not available with ABS from the factory on 2001 model.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Now the Tundra's 4x4 system will not engage in dry conditions?? What's up with that? So I guess all you guys in Arizona,Nevada, and Cali can't go 4-buying. You are able to go to 4x4 in any conditions. I dont' know mybe the Tundra knows or something. It's scared!!. Ad the reason for the Tundra being faster then the 5.3 or 4.8(Compare it to that) is the 315 Ft/LBS or TOURQUE. I can't say that more. That is the only reason why people buy the Tundra. iF IT WAS NOT FOR THE tourque THEN Toyota would not have sold and are sellig as many...
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Who said Toyota 4WD won't engage in dry conditions? Nobody said that. I can engage it any time I want -- the question is whether or not you are doing harm to your vehicle driving in non-slick conditions in 4WD.

Also - I don't think (and you all can correct me if I'm wrong) this is limited to just Toyota 4WD, but any 4WD (as opposed to AWD or command trac or other "smart" drive systems).

Could somebody clarify just what harm results from driving on dry pavement in 4WD?

Jeff
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Well, I'm having a new exhaust system installed on my truck today. From where the two pipes coming off the headers meet right before the cat back is being replaced with 3" pipe and a higher flow muffler. I'll post pics when I get it back this afternoon.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    With standard 4wd will break parts.

Most standard 4wd systems only have a transfer case
    Linking both the front and rear axles in a 1:1 ratio.
    Now the problems come in when you need to make a
    turn. The track of the front wheels is different
    than the rear wheels causing "driveline windup"
    This windup causes a stress on the u joints
    and related components of the transfer case trans
    and axles. On dry pavement their is little to no
    slippage and can seriously break parts.

Compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee that has an
    AWD function. The Jeep uses a "Viscous clutch"
    to allow a certain degree of slippage between the
    front and rear axles. Other systems will use the equivalent of a Differential between the front and
    rear axles.

Walter
    Well said. I will add that since there is only additional stress when cornering, if a Tundra owner wants to engage and disengage his 4WD once a month, then doing so in a straight line should not cause damage. I do it in the rain just to be extra safe - it probably is not necessary.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I also try to temporarily engage my 4WD once a month if I haven't needed it for awhile. My wife's parents have a 100 yard long gravel road leading up to their house that I do it on, just to be safe. And as with you, a little extra safety is added when it is wet, as it so often is here in the Pacific Northwest.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    The 4wd once a month is the perfect excuse to
    go out 4x and have fun. Kind of like an apple a
    day.
    Duckshooter heres the quote:The Tundra does not have the "Active-Trac" system of the Sequoia yet so you can't engage it on dry pavement. This is a disadvantage, because there are times when the roads are wet and slippery, but not enough to use the part time 4WD system. I have my suspicions that the A-Trac will be added in 2003 or 2004 to the Tundra. Cliffy1 had said that.

F1: will a 3 inch pipe fit all the way down the line on A Tundra?? What I got when I went to have what you are getting done I was told that they could put it on, but there were problems. They have to remove the spare, The underside mounts will get burnt after time, and then there is warranty issues. Like say you have a problem down the line with say your windows. They might come back and say "your after market exhaust voided your factory warranty" I am pretty sure the Tundra's spare is where the Rado's is so if you don't want a spare that's up to you.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have ou ever heard of the Moss Magnuson Act? If not check here:

http://www.usdieselparts.com/mmwa.htm

You're saying that you can't put on a one in two out system on a rado? or a Tundra? I've seen both haven't you? And they both had their spares mounted in the factory position. So according to you, these trucks will soon burn up their spares? I've never seen so much disinformation out of an individual before....think it started with the 2wd vs. 4wd in towing and hauling. And before you get confused I own a rado and not a Tundra.

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Why do you keep trying??? Just get that DEXCOOL out of your cylinders before it deteriotes(sic) your seals on your rings. And go polish your pistons to get more tourque(sic).

And you DO so own a tundra, just like mine. Stop arguing!!! LOL!!!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Clearance was no problem. The pipe exits just behind the right rear wheel just like stock. The Flowmaster series 70 muffler is actually smaller than the stock one. The system looks much cleaner than stock and really opened up the breathing of the engine. It is so much more responsive now and sounds like a real V8 engine. Nice...I'm happy with it.
    Allow me to clarify the quote you referenced. The truck can be engaged on dry pavement, but you shouldn't. The truck doesn't know what the road surface is, but you do. It is inadvisable to engage a conventional 4x4 system on dry pavement. This applies to all conventional part time system, not just the Tundra. The advantage of the A-Trac system on the Sequoia and 4Runner is that you can put it in 4WD any time.
    Although the A-Trac system allows you to put it in 4WD any time it is still a part time 4WD system.

This means that A-Trak will not be in 4WD in dry road conditions. When the A-Trak is in 4WD - it is not any more capable than any other part-time 4WD system.

The only advantage of A-Trak is that it does the switching between 2WD and 4WD modes automatically. Although this is a convenience - it does add additional cost and complexity.

I personally like the simplicity of the Tundra's manually selectable 4WD system.
    Not exactly. The A-trac system is technically part time, only because you can switch it from 2 to 4 wheel drive. It does not automatically switch between modes. The A-Trac system does allow driving on dry pavement without damage to any system. There is a whole topic in the SUV conference on how this operates and in most (not all) cases, it will outperform a conventional transfer case system off road.
    Is the A-trac the system that's on the Sequoia??

When CAR & DRIVER(?) did a camparo against the Tahoe and Expedition they basically said the Toy's system was NOT good for off roading. They said it wouldn't allow any momentum in soft dirt or going up dirt/sand hills because of the traction control.

I apologize if this is not the same system.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    The Sequoia sucks just like the Tundra. GM is the best ever and so is Ford, that is why they keep losing market share.
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    Calm down my friend...

Just when everyone started to sound "reasonable" you go and make a comment like that.

Can't we all get along?
    Well, I wasn't there when C&D did thier testing, but I have spoken to three people who have done serious off-roading, including one in Moab Utah. The A-Trac system outperformed everything except a fully locked Jeep. The A-Trac system is extremely efficient at keeping power routed to the wheels with the most traction.

The one thing each of these people told me was that they turned off the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) off road. The VSC is a lateral skid sensor that is great on ice and wet pavement, but I imagine it would be a detriment to off road situations. Being such a new system, it is likely C&D failed to pick up on this.

By the way... the A-Trac in the Sequoia is identical to the system in the Land Cruiser with the exception that the LC does not have the option of a 2 wheel drive mode and is easier to lock the center differential. Other than that, they work the same.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    I am a Tundra owner. I love my truck. I just want to agree with the GM and Ford owners so they can leave our thread alone.
    From the Toyota website:
    "Active TRAC
    Using sensors at all four wheels to monitor a loss of traction, Active TRAC employs brake and throttle control to reduce wheelspin and transfer torque to the wheel with the most traction."

Active Trac has NOTHING to do with the 4WD system - it is also available on the 2WD Sequioas. It uses the brakes to give it better traction. It does this by applying the brakes on the side which is spinning, this causes the differential to apply more torque to the wheel which is not spinning.

Because of this, you should NEVER engage 4WD on a Sequoia on any surface which is dry. It behaves exactly the same as the part time 4WD system on the Tundra.
    Yes, the A-Trac does function in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. When in 2WD, it governs the power split left and right, plus a rev limiter is used to slow down the engine if the wheels slip. In 4WD, the rev limiter is disconnected.

The Sequoia does not have a conventional transfer case but rather, an open center differential. Due to this, the braking action of the traction control also routes power front to rear as needed. This is why you can safely drive it in 4WD on dry pavement.

For much more on this system, flip over to the SUV conference and see the topic "Toyota 4 wheel drive systems explained."
    Thanx, if you can shut off the traction control, I don't see how it would hinder off road use.
    They may not have known that.
    Actually, you wouldn't want to shut off the traction control, because that is what governs the power to the correct wheels. You would want to be able to shut off the VSC though because lateral skids are often needed when off-roading. If the VSC is on and lateral skid is detected, you get braking at three corners of the vehicle and throttle is reduced. This is great on ice and wet roads, but not what you want off road. The A-Trac system allows you to turn off the VSC when you are in 4WD.

The only time the traction control is shut off is when you shift into 4 wheel low and shift the transmission into low as well. This locks the center differential and shuts off the traction control.

One part of the traction control *is* turned off automatically when you go into 4WD. That is the throttle control portion. The braking action still happens, but you don't loose power.

When first looking at this system, VSC and traction control are often confused. This is why I gave a complete description in the "Toyota 4WD systems explained" topic in the SUV conference.
    It would be disconcerting to me hauling [non-permissible content removed] up a hill or down a dry river bed and have either power reduced or braking added when I didn't want it.

The lo feature shut off I like and I would think at Moab a lot of the wheelin' was in 4lo. I tend to do the faster desert type wheelin'.

I always shut off the traction control in the wife's Lexus. I can't stand coming out of a drive and the car's power falling on its face cause I lost traction. Almost feels like you're running out of gas!!
    My apologies. Carpoint lists the Sequoia as part time 4WD. I did not know that it has a center differential. It seems that they should call it AWD.

The reason you can safely drive in 4WD in the Sequoia is because it has a center differential. This has nothing to do with A TRAC which is a traction control system.

There is no reason that they shouldn't be able to put A TRAC traction control on the Tundra. It still would not be able to be driven on dry pavement without adding a center differential.
    Dude have you been smoking too much of the "good stuff"? You have totally lost me! I don't know what you are talking about.

If you were referring to my post to Duckshooter and F1 take better look at the post and the conversation should become CLEAR.

Question:How can on burn up a spare if it has been removed??? I would like you to explain that one to me. And No I never said that. Read my smart pal, read. I said if you put a one to two pipe system on the RADO(I don't know about the Tundra" Then according to several shops you will have to remove those parts off the truck. There is not enough clearance. A full 3 inch dual exhaust is what I as referring to. It also applies to a single 3 inch pipe. And I don't know about you, but I like to have a SPARE tire on my truck. You might just leave it at home since you probably don't know how to put it back on or mount it to begin with!. And Mod, If you're so smart why do you keep thinking your Toyota runs GM Dexcool??? And no I do not own a 2wd anything!!! But you know after all you use GM parts on your Tundra. And I never said it ruins the cylinders smartguy. I said seal and gaskets it will eat away at these things. and Nadhi... Actually Ford has the biggest share in the Truck game followed by the big 3 and then Toyota and others. But I guess it's the whole picture I don't know how they look at it...
    This is what you said:

"They might come back and say "your after market exhaust voided your factory warranty"

I replied with the Moss Magnuson Act...you should take the time to read it cause an aftermarket exhaust will not void the factory warranty.

You also said:
    "What I got when I went to have what you are getting done I was told that they could put it on, but there were problems. They have to remove the spare, The underside mounts will get burnt after time, and then there is warranty issues"

Don't know what shop YOU went too but thats full of it. Single in dual out designed by aftermarket exhaust companies have no problems with the setup burning underside mounts, nor having to remove the spare. Where did you go? Midas?

You said:

"A full 3 inch dual exhaust is what I as referring to. It also applies to a single 3 inch pipe. And I don't know about you, but I like to have a SPARE tire on my truck."

No one makes this as it would cause too much of a loss in backend pressure...2.25" is the max the pipes should be in dual form.

You also said:

"It also applies to a single 3 inch pipe. And I don't know about you, but I like to have a SPARE tire on my truck."

You obviously are misinformed as most of the single in single out are 3". Check Gibson, Flowmaster, Edelbrock....they have no problems installing in place of the stock exhaust...with the spare intact in its original position.

Lastly, have you figured it out that a 2wd vs. 4wd in the same configuration whether it be 3.73 or 4.10, that the 2wd will ALWAYS BE RATED TO TOW AND HAUL MORE THAN THE 4WD

Mod, this is absolutely my last post regarding this....that village better get their's back soon cause the posts are getting more and more dysfunctional.
    Do you think that you could take your little spat with Ackkkkk!!! about Chevy exhausts to a more appropriate topic? Thanks.
    A 2wd Rado can pull more then a Tundra to Begin with. No I went to a reputable shop, I then asked Tony Chevy of Anchorage. But again you're the expert. And what is the point of 2.25 pipes if the stock out is 3?? I have a stock 3 inch pipe from Chevy. I assume the Tundra has the same out! Ok o a Rado with a 4.10 with no 4wd will under perform a Tundra?? Until engaged a 4wd is a 2wd It CAN tow in 2wd in case you have forgot. Dsyfunctinal is right maybe if you have READ again you would see very clearly that I was talking about a DUAL EXHAUST. Considering that the Tundra is a Mutt and all I don't know what to think about it. And Oby, maybe if you listed what you own it would help. You claim to own a Tundra, or all I know it's a geo!. I have finance papers and pink slips to prove what I own do you?? Or do you leas and throw all your Burger King money out of the window??? And this is the most moronic comment of all:Lastly, have you figured it out that a 2wd vs. 4wd in the same configuration whether it be 3.73 or 4.10,

It's different gearing you putts! Replace a Ferraris Gears with a 4.10 and maybe you'll learn. Do you know anything about gearing?? Amybe that's whyto achive 200 MPH Nascar cars use a different Ratio in Daytona then at the Rock! But it's all the same to you is it not?? Moron... And why don't you and Mod go and tke a ride in whatever it is that you have and do a I don't want to know!
    LMAO!! You're soooo right!!! They must have some good CRACK up in Alaska!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!

I really fear we are doomed as far as domestic oil supply if this is what's working at it!!!

As far as giving up........I concur.
    Are you a tree hugger or something?? It's funny you owning a Mutt V8 and all... Are you an idoit or something?? Take a look at who I work for you moron! Why don't you go back to Iowa and walk around with the other idiots. It's evident that both Mod and Obyone know nothing. Considering that "all gearing ratios" are the same according to MOD and OBYONE. I guess that means that a Kia can pull as much as a Rado ot Tundra. But that dosent matter because we all should have bought Kia Rios because it dosen't matter what the gear ratio is it's all the same whether you own a 4x4 or 4x2.
    Why don't you list what you own??? Are you in the same boat as Obyone??? But you're right all gear ratios can pull the same. You guys are idiots!. I guess a Kia can go just a fast as a Ferrari or Lamborghini then. After all they are all the same. Idiots
    I wasted my money on a Rado and you guys on a Tundra. After all we could have spent half and had just as much tow capacity. After all, all gearing ratios are the same right?? I guess we could have bought a car for that matter!
    Why are you even posting here??? Like me you are a Rado owner. Yet all our gear ratios are the same so it dosen't matter. All you should check his out his stupid comments in the Rado forum. Hey OBY, learned how to use ABS brakes yet?? No you don't pump them! This guy does not even know how to use ABS brakes!!! After all we all have the same thing according to him right??
    It's nice that I paid less for my 1500 then you did for your 2500. I know you have a bigger truck in all, but we both have the same tow capacity right?! Glad I saved that 3 grand. Obyone really saved the day there!!! Maybe he should look at what he's got. But delete ABS because he does not know how to use em!
    You can modify you car/truck what whatever you want. Put NOS in it. Don't worry you'll get a new truck. After all according to Obyone you have a warranty after you modify your car..
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I'm sure glad you represent the Chevy crowd with your Silverado.

I'm sure this discussion on GM gear ratios, 4x2 vs. 4x4 for towing, dual exhausts, and melted spare tires on the Silverado would fit in better in one of the Silverado topics, wouldn't it? And ak4x4, I'm sure your vast intellect and clear concise writing style would be much more appreciated over in one of the Chevy topics.

I've always wanted to visit Alaska, but now I'm having second thoughts.

How about let's getting this thread back to the topic at hand: Toyota Tundra OWNERS: Rate Your Truck!

The only thing I'm going to say at this point about the Tundra is that after having mine for 2 years to the day tomorrow and having put 26,000 miles on it, that I can't think of another truck that I would rather have for my current needs. No regrets whatsoever on my purchase.

Alan
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    why should only us GM owners benefit from AK's vast knowlege?"I'm sure your vast intellect and clear concise writing style would be more appreciated over in one of the chevy topics."
    I'm thinking it would fit better on the wall of the boy's bathroom at the junior high school he attends.
    kip
    Hey, can't you read. According to Ack I own a Tundra...well no, he changes that to a 2500. Boy I'm glad we got that all straightened. So since I own a Tundra/2500 would y'all care for me to share my opinion on it? Thought so....

Mod, do you know the name of that village?...I seriously need to call them.
    F1, I have never seen a dual setup on a Tundra. It would be cool to see one. I see it alot on Fords and Gm trucks. I am sure you have seen what I mean. Maybe the Toyota has a different setup then the Gm Trucks. But th eproblems that they talked about were due to dual. A single like yours would have worked fine.

Arkie: I never said it would melt the spare! Where did you get that?? I just talked about removing the spare. with Dual's on the Silverado a full 3 inch dual system would work, but they have to custom bend the pipe on the driver's side to get around the spare. They simply reccommended that I take it off like other owners have to make the system fit.

And Oby:When I said "Mutt" engine I was referring to your 2500's engine/tranny setup. If you indeed have the Allison tranny. If not then disregard the comment.

And thinking off the top: If you put a full 3 inch dual exaust close to the spare after time the rubber would actualy start to melt. Those who don't belive me do this: Take a old used tire and then take a lighter to it. Hold the lighter there for say 10 min or so. The rubber will start to melt. I am not saying it will melt to the point where you cannot use the tire, but a portion will be melted.