Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Hey Oby I never sid this:

No one makes this as it would cause too much of a loss in backend pressure...2.25" is the max the pipes should be in dual form.

F1 said that. Get your story correct. I would appreciate if you did not mis quote me. And read the conversation again, it should become clear what we were discussing.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Oh yeah, I forgot. By his own admission, obyone's truck qualified for the lemon law and has spent more than a third of the year at the dealer for repairs.

What a source of embarassment this must be, spending $30K on a lemon.

I hope obyone sticks around on our Toyota threads, though. Despite his efforts to "slam" Toyota, he provides the ultimate example of why Chevys should be avoided.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    TRD makes a dual exhaust for the Tundra (side exit behind the rear wheels). Borla does also (dual side exit). Bassani makes duals also, either dual side exit behind the wheels or duals straight out the rear. Bassani are the only true duals of the three mentioned above, but they are also not CA approved because they eliminate the 3rd cat on CA models (non-CA models only have 2 cats). There may be others, but that is all that I can think of at the moment. Of course, there is always the custom route using the mufflers of your choice. I've never heard anyone have any problems with clearances around the spare tire.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    "No one makes this as it would cause too much of a loss in backend pressure...2.25" is the max the pipes should be in dual form.

F1 said that. Get your story correct. I would appreciate if you did not mis quote me. And read the conversation again, it should become clear what we were discussing."

Nope, I didn't say that.

BTW-all the dual exhaust kits I've seen for the Tundra come out of one single muffler with two exit pipes. Each one is routed to each side behind the rear wheels. Even the dual exhaust on my '94 Mustang wasn't a true dual system. It had an X pipe between the headers and the mufflers, I think there were a couple sets of cats in there somewhere also.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Unless you replaced your stock H pipe, the Mustang did have true duals(since'85, actually) The H pipe simply connects the two sides of the exhaust to even out exhaust pulses. Adds quite a bit of torque or "tourque" if you're from Alaska.
    I realize that but since they are connected I've always heard that it isn't really a true dual exhaust. More of a distinction for the smog check places than anything-they only have to sniff one pipe instead of two. Guess it's just semantics.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    That's interesting. In Clark Co.(Vegas) the smog [non-permissible content removed] most certainly use 2 probes!!!

I agree with you on a "Y" pipe set up(2 in 1 back to 2) that was on the '84 and back stangs and even my 460 powered trucks(talk about instant power gains opening those exhausts up!) but the H pipe connector has at least 6" between the pipes and the diameter stays the same all the way back.

The aftermarket X pipe even keeps the same diameter of pipe but uses a siamese set up when they meet. Supposedly a NASCAR trick to add power.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    First - you have to post a .jpg file to a website. You can use your personal website or one of the many photo websites available.

When you have done this - post the link in this format in the text of your post:

{img src=http://www.postyouraddresshere.com}

replace the left and right brackets above with the < and > characters respectively.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    And so do you with that one star side impact rated truck...which proves that Toyota does build crap....though its not often, they did in your case.
    Isn't is strange that obyone, by his own admission, owns a bonafide lemon-law qualified Chevy that spends 4 months a year at the dealer but seeks "vindication" for his plight by brooding in Toyota threads at Edmunds Town Hall?

I hope obyone sticks around in our Toyota threads, however. He provides the ultimate example of why Chevys should be avoided.
  • chann94501chann94501 Member Posts: 3
    You people need to stop bickering. What is the point of getting another thread locked. The one common characteristic of Toyota truck related discussions seems to be childish back biting. I don't know if this is common to other truck discussions but it doesn't make me want to buy one and that's for sure.

Perhaps you should all take this off line?
    And you drive your coffin.....which is worse?
    A last my truck isn't a lemon! But that's besides the point. You make fun of me, but you don't know how to use ABS correctly?? Also according to you and your pal Mod all gearing is the same! So you have a 2500 and I have 1500, I suppose we have the same tow/haul capacity right?? But what about that Kia, It has the same also, not to mention that Honda CRV. I guess I wasted my money on something where I could have gotten a much cheaper truck and had the same thing! So according to you, A Tundra and Tacoma have the same tow capacity?? what do you smoke all day?? Also, about our "Lemon 2500" the only major "lemon" problem is the Allison tranny. That's it. But again you put GM dexcool in your Tundra, so I suppose you put Whatever Toyota uses(I don't know what the use, I suspect it's the same)In you 2500.
    What HAVE you been smoking? You can't DRIVE coffins, silly!!! But you can drive lemons - even if it's only 8 months a year, right?

Isn't is strange that obyone, by his own admission, owns a bonafide lemon-law qualified Chevy that spends 4 months a year at the dealer but seeks "vindication" for his plight by brooding in Toyota threads at Edmunds Town Hall?

I hope obyone sticks around in our Toyota threads, however. He provides the ultimate example of why Chevys should be avoided.
    Here you go, hopefully.

For AK's sake, could you take a pic of where the exhaust burns your spare? I'm really curious about that....in fact I'm sure it would be a point of interest to the aftermarket exhaust company too.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Nice pictures. It looks like you got the technique of posting pictures down.
    Smoking the good stuff again?? maybe I should demonstrate how ABS works for you.

F1: Take a look at any 01 Rado. I don't know where the spare is mounted on your Tundra so I can't comment on that. Everyone in this forum has seen what I am referring to. Just 2 straight pipes coming out of the back. Alot of Rado's, Ford's, and Dodge's have em. It's not hard to find them. The problem is on the '01 Rado's you would need to custom bend the 3 inch pipe to go around the spare. But when you do the gap is minimal between the spare and the pipe. Now, keep in mind that a 2.25 inch pipe in dual would work without any custom work. But a dual 3 inch dos require some custom work. And F1, the setup is similar to your Tundra...I know I CAN do it ad don't mind doing it it's just that warranty issue. I know I can get around that. But I do want a spare. Ask your guy what he thinks about a dual setup 3 inches on a 01 Rado. I just want to hear his concerns if he has any...
    Why don't you have OBYONE demonstate how ABS brakes stop faster on gravel and snow!

Afterall, ABS pumps brakes 30 times a second, which only a superhuman could do (his words, NOT mine!).
  • chann94501chann94501 Member Posts: 3
    Actually this 'pumps the brakes' thing stems from a poor explanation of what ABS does and how. Very early on there were ABS systems that did just that, Ford even had the gall to sell them on cars in the UK. If you have an 'ABS' logo on your vehicle then you have the Trademarked Bosch system; this uses wheel speed sensors on every wheel and controls the pressure AT EACH WHEEL to hold the brakes just short of lockup. Bosch ABS will actually back off the brakes on the slick stuff but also reapply them when the surface gets better. Land Rover ABS is top notch for mud and snow too, one thing BMW took while they owned them was the ABS technology. I can outbrake the ABS in the dry by judging the onset of lockup just a little better, but I can't beat it on a variable surface like crossing patches of ice.

From what I have experience of GM and Ford antilock brakes I'm afraid they suck, on the Sierra in particular they come on far too early and wash off far too much braking effect. Audi used to allow you to switch off the ABS on the Quattro for snow or gravel but the systems have improved since then.

So, do Toyota use the Bosche system or a 'roll your own'?

Here, have a look at some info from Bosch
    http://www.boschusa.com/AutoOrigEquip/Braking/ModularABS/
    The spare on the Tundra is mounted under the bed behind the rear axle. There is tons of room between the spare tire and the exhaust system back there. Like I said earlier, the Tundra dual exhaust systems do not come out the back-where the bumper is. It exits on the sides right behind the rear wheels. There is room in there for a 6" pipe if anyone was stupid enough to want to try to mount one there.
  • hairydoghairydog Member Posts: 44
    I currently own a Toyota 1988 4x4 150k that I was my favorite all time truck. I gave it to my son and currently own a 2001 4x4 Dakota CC.

I am seriously interested in going to a 2002 4x4 Tundra. Would like your assistance as to purchasing vechicle with what you all think is top of the line for occasional off road use. I deer hunt several months out of the year, tow a 17ft aluminum Bass boat frequently and a tow a jet ski occasionally. Don't need a long bed just enough to put my 4x4 Honda A TV. Reside in Florida.
    I require comfortable driver seat (lower back problems). I travel 25k plus a year.
    Would appreciate your valued opinions.
    Speaking as one who put 25k on my truck the first year, it is a comfortable truck. I've heard people complain about the lack of adjustments on the captains chairs (that's what I have) in the Tundra but I think they are just fine. I have a weak lower back but find that exercise, stretching, keeping excess weight off and surfing all help my back and I haven't had any problems in recent years-I used to get muscle spasms every now and then-very painful.

The back seat is on the smallish side but if you don't have people back there very often it is adequate.

I don't have a 4x4 model but I do take it on some pretty rough dirt track out in the desert and I haven't had any problem with it.

The Tundra will do all the other things you mentioned with ease.
    I have to agree when someone said thatG GM's ABS does suck! On dry pavement it works fine. But in rain, or snow and Ice(Alaska weather) the ABS will actually make the Truck harder tocontrol vs a truck without ABS. GM knows the system is "Oversensitive" ganted on Ice you will slide if you brake too late in any Truck but I am finding myself pumping the ABS system to regain control of my rado in these conditions. Even in rain it will do the same thing. I want to pull the fuse so I can get better control, but I don't know about that. Any new GM truck owner can back up my story. Yes yu just put your foot on th peadal to stop, but the system is so oversensitive that it will just create a bigger mess. Well that's one complaint from me about my truck!!!
    Went dow to the lot today to check out the '02's Here's what the wanted for em

Tundra regular cab with stock options and 4x4 $30,355. Dealer mark up was $4,500

Tundra access cab 4x4 standard options $34,500 with a $4,000 mark up!

I did not even look at the limited!!!

Why so high of a dealer mark up here?? I know the prices in the lower 48. But for that money the big 3 offer alot. You could be driving a 3500 LT for that money. Just wondering why so much? I would think the truck of the year would be priced the same as the big 3??? Maybe is Toyota having limited production runs??? Do't tell me it cost's 4k to get a truck up here!!!!

Oh and all had the I-force V8
    The Tundra has some good ratings, but all were done from a 40 mph frontal offset crash. How could have the known the effects of the cab??? Granted from a crash like this the Cab would have minimal damage. I would like to see a side impact rating or a rollover rating compared to other trucks...
    I don't know that anyone has done roll over or side impact ratings on fullsize trucks yet.

I can't imagine why the Toyota dealerships in your area have a 4k markup on these trucks. For that money it would be worth it to drive or fly almost anywhere else in the country to buy it and drive it home. Are the dealers up there insane? I got my local dealership to knock almost $3,000 off the MSRP on my 2000 SR-5 when I bought it in 9/00. I paid a little over $23k for it. Mine is a Jade Green SR-5 Access Cab 4x2 model with A/C, cruise, PW, PL, tilt wheel, captains chairs, in dash AM/FM/CD/Cassette, power mirrors, split window, tinted glass, cloth interior, keyless entry, bedliner and I-force V8 engine. MSRP was $26,400 if I remember correctly.

A friend of mine has a Chevy Suburban and he absolutely hates the ABS system on his truck. He complains that it has caused a couple accidents due to increased stopping distance. I never paid it much creed though because he is a rather distracted driver at times. Maybe he is correct.

It is a little disconcerting when the ABS kicks in on a car. My Ford Mustang had it and it did seem to increase stopping distances especially if you go with your natural tendancy of pumping the brakes.

My Tundra does not have ABS. I am not unhappy about that either.
    That's what I thought. They must be smoking to much of the good stuff. Prices were with dealer mark up. The factory sticker was 25.5 for the short cab. But you are right I would fly away. Call up Nye Toyota here in Anchorage and see what they want. That's where I went. I can understand a markup but not 4k on a 4x4 base model. Now I would pay that much for a limited. In my poinion they need to do those types of tests on pickups ans SUV's The have a tendency to be "top Heavy" Causing them to roll over more,but not have a side impact effect. Tell me the sticker for those models in Ca. Don't include tax. Just the prices. I am curious.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    The prices that F1 is quoting you are correct. My truck is similar to his but it is a 2002 and I have the Alloy wheels, the LSD, the fog lights and the tow hitch in addition to what F1 has in his truck. I did not get the bedliner though. I paid 23,700 w/o taxes,lic, and fees. My out the door price was 25,700. I got almost 2,500 off MSRP and I got 4.9% financing for 60 months. What else could I ask for? I got the exact options I wanted except the color. I wanted Imperial Jade Mica, but I had to settle for black.

I am extremely happy with the truck. I just got the SnugTop and BedRug installed today. It looks great. The bed feels so cozy I really want to sleep in it :-)
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    Hey HairyDog. I've got the '02. I love mine. You where talking about hauling a four wheeler. Think about the bed extender as an option. It has a 101 uses. It also has plenty of power to pull. I've also had it in the loose sand at the coast and it goes great.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab SR5 4x4. You might look at getting the rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) if you go off road in muddy areas. I don't have one on mine, but they weren't available in 2000 as a factory option. It only costs a few hundred bucks as a factory option. I also have the bigger tires and aluminum alloy wheels on mine (option AL on the SR5 which also includes chrome lined wheel well moulding). If you like the bigger fender flares, you might go with the TRD option package which gives you the big overfenders and Bilstein shocks. I don't have the TRD package (I don't like the look of those big overfenders, but I'm sure they are functional), but I did replace my stock shocks with the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks which made a noticable improvement in handling. The fog lights are a nice option and only cost about $100 invoice on the SR5 and is included with the TRD or Limited package. I also have the 60/40 split front bench seat which I preferred over the captains chairs because of the better armrest on the 60/40 seat. The drivers seat is virtually identical between the two seats, but the 60/40 has a big padded console to put your arm on and the captains chairs have skinny fold down armrests. Mine is extremely comfortable. Just my $0.02. You shouldn't have any trouble carrying a 4-wheeler in the back of the extended cab short bed Tundra. All you need is a set of fold-up ramps. You may want to put a 2x6 board in the front slots in the bed so that you don't bang your front rack on the front of the bed or the back window of the truck. I carried 10 80# bags of Quickcrete (800 lbs. for the math challenged in here) in the back of mine today, which is comparable to a big 4-wheeler, and you could hardly even tell it was there. It was just enough weight to level out the truck. I had them stacked pretty evenly over the rear axle. A good inexpensive aftermarket mod is the Helwig rear anti-sway bar. It much improves on-road handling and only costs about $130. A 2" receiver hitch is handy also, but I would buy one aftermarket (Sure-Pull, Draw-Tite, etc.) and install it myself and save a couple hundred bucks. It's a relatively easy job.

Hope that helps some.

Alan
    Yeah I know those prices are correct. But whyare they so high here?? I can understand say a 1k mark up for Alaska but 30K for a regular cab 4x4?? That's nuts!

Yours was going out the dor for 34.5 with 4x4 take 2k off that for yours. Funny factory sticker was what you guys said it would be, but then that dealer markup! Can't be that special of a truck(No limited editions or limited numbered runs) So whats up with that??
    Why are you asking us? Ask the dealer. He's the one raping his customers.

ndahi12-BTW-I forgot, I also have the towing package, fog lights and alloy wheels on my truck. It is Jade Green; see my pic posted in #1316
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    I have no idea why the dealers are gouging people in Alaska. I think they should be reported to the manufacturer. Or maybe you can try another dealer and see if all of them are gouging.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The reason we get gouged up here is because 30 years ago it was a lot harder to get product up here so naturally prices were higher. Then we had the wonderful "pipeline boom" there was a lot of jobs and they all paid an incredible amount. As a result prices went even higher and still today everyone thinks we get paid more to work in Alaska than the lower 48. Over time it has been accepted that in Alaska we will pay more for everything than everyone else. Another example is our gas prices we are still paying $1.45 a gallon for gas and now that the gas prices are going up I will expect to be paying around $1.50-$1.60 a gallon in the summer. The sad thing is that there is nothing we can do because there is no competition up here.
    Tell me about it. I can drive 80 miles to Los Angeles and gas is 1.05. I can't find it for any less than 1.29 here in San Diego though. Explain that one to me!!!
    At least you can find a place to get a break, we have to drive 3000 miles to find gas that is cheaper.
    Well, it certainly isn't worth the time and money to drive 160 miles to fill up every week-unless I fill the bed up with gasoline, hehehe.

I do go up to L.A. about once a month though to visit the in-laws and I usually plan to fill up while I'm there.
  • hairydoghairydog Member Posts: 44
    (Arkie6)(tundowner)(F1) Thanks guys, we appreciate your time. We have printed what has been noted and we will put it to good use in purchasing. You gave us what we wanted to hear.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    The reason gas is so much higher in SD vs LA is TAXES!!!

I can drive three miles south of where I live and gas goes from 1.05 to 94 cents! For the math impaired, that means I'm paying 11 cents more a gallon in Fairfax County, VA versus Prince William County, VA three miles to the south. And when prices were much higher, it was even worse - gas was as much as 24 cents a gallon cheaper in the summer. And what hacks me off is what they do with the tax money - they spend it on commuter lots and shuttle buses... which the PW county people use as much as those people living in Fairfax county.

Yeah, I know - quit whining and vote with my feet. But going the extra miles in N. Va traffic just to buy gas is just too much of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. So the tax man wins.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I read some posts about markups on Tundras. I would avoid all the silly games and consider ordering one from CarsDirect.com
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    With discounts of up to $3500 on Tundras in the lower 48 why don't you just get one and have in trucked to AK. Or take a vacation and drive it back. Got to save you 5-6K.
    It will eat up any money you save buying the truck in the lower 48 and having it shipped up here. The other way is to fly down and drive back the only catch is it will cost around $2000 and when you finally get home your truck has around 4000 miles on it and it is a week old.
    You're in Fairbanks. In Anchorage prices are cheaper but not buy much. It costs 2k to ship the truck from SEA-TAC to the Port of Anchorage Via Tote. I bought my truck back in July so I am set for now, thanks. But even with the 3500 that you would get off it's sill a 4k markup. If I paid 22k for my EXT cab rado 4x4 up here and the POS was Pontiac East you can't tell me that the Tundra is more to ship then a Rado accross the country. Besides don't dealers get comped if the have a full trailer??? Could care less at tis point..Not something I want anymore. Too small of an interior...
  • alexleebralexleebr Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the going rate for 02 Tundras are (how much over invoice). Looking to buy probably in Houston in the very near future, and the $1500 cash back from Toyota is very appealing. Thanks
  • drcaldrcal Member Posts: 10
    I'm surprised that there have been so few posts lately. I thought I heard that there will be a "true" four door crew tundra coming out soon. Where's all the buzz? Does anybody know anything about when they will begin to appear?
  • plywoody47plywoody47 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody using child seats in the rear of the Tundra Ext Cab. I'm shopping for a truck now. Some of the domestics are appealing, but the quality probelms have me scared. Would take a serious look at the Tundra, but don't know if I'll be able to take the kids (5yr old twins) camping in it or not. Any comments about the rear seat space are welcome. From what I hear, the crew cab won't be coming until the new model comes out in 2005.
  • drcaldrcal Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the same boat as you. I look at the current extended cab and wince at the idea of putting child seats back there. I like it for every other reason over the domestics. 2005 is an awfully long wait.
    I seem to remember 2004 as the year the crew cab Tundra will be available.