Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Diesels in the News

Comments

• arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Motor Trend July 05:

BMW will be introducing a turbodiesel SUV!

I believe it will be an x5. I will be very tempted if these diesels arrive with manual trannies . A X5 diesel would bethe only SUV vehicle I would ever consider purchasing.

What would stop me from purchasing such a vehicle: A 330xi diesel Touring(my Dream Mobile)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Manufactured in Austria. Wonder which engine is being used in the Euro 300 diesel?
    300 with diesel
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    A 330xi diesel Touring(my Dream Mobile)

That beauty would swing me toward BMW. I think the future of quality diesel cars for the USA is looking good. I hopeful.
    Looks exciting. About 25 MPG combined will match what they are getting with the hybrid SUVs.

http://www.autointell-news.com/european_companies/BMW/bmw-x5-3-diesel/bmw-x5-3l-diesel.htm-
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Now we just need the S class CDi and the E wagon CDi
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Scroll down past the new "petrol" engine info and you'll see all the diesel MBs the U.S. market could get next year or early 2007:

See Here

A CLS320 CDI is an interesting car, but it will never be sold here.

M
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I wonder if we'll see any of that....as other markets have had so many diesel cars for some time.

I am sure MBUSA in all their infinite wisdom sees the CLS as too much of an image car ro make it diesel. Funny that it won't hurt the image elsewhere.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Looks exciting. About 25 MPG combined will match what they are getting with the hybrid SUVs."

That's BMW's old diesel. The new one gets better fuel economy and 100 more hp.

I want a 330i already. A 330id would be a home run for me.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well of course we'll never get a CLS diesel for the reason you state. I think we'll see an diesel version of the new S, and then C-Class. I'm sure we'll get a M and R-Class diesel.

M
    The V-10 is back!
    V10 TDI
    If they would bring the Touareg with the V6 TDI then they would have a vehicle I could consider. The V10 TDI is overkill for all but the wildest drivers.
    4Motion Golf TDI
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    you're right - you would be settling if you got a vw 4motion with a diesel. (why cancel out your efficiency gain with all wheel drive?). mercedes has that B-car (A-car stretched to the size of a Golf) in diesel in Germany. for whatever reason, they aren't bringing it here. although i wonder if the car that DC is going to use to replace the neon isn't a reskinned B-car.

my brother lives in Germany. he has a toyota avensis turbodiesel (sort of like a corolla - but bigger - i think). He loves his car. I want a toyota diesel here too. another point for a diesel is this - biodiesel - renewable resource, and what a shot in the arm for agriculture. at least two birds with one stone.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Jaguar is planning to make its flagship sedan, the XJ, available with a 2.7L six cylinder that makes 207 hp, 300+ torque, and only weighs 400 or so pounds. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come. I hope
    Golf with 140PS TDI rated 49.6 mpg on combined cycle.
    Golf with 140PS TDI 4Motion rated 46.4 mpg on combined cycle

Loss of 3.2 mpg for AWD is negligible loss in efficiency.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    That it's AWD, those are still stellar numbers IMO.
    More diesels from more manufacturers...
    Diesels in pipeline
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    I apologize if this was posted before, but MB has already developed a new V8 diesel:
    http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4565

This is the most likely candidate to power the CLS, wouldnt it? 300+ HP and 400 + torque should be perfect for the CLS 420CDI, especially since it was built specifically for the E and S-series
  • ratbertratbert Member Posts: 22
    I saw one of these when I was in Madrid a year ago. 5 speed. sweeeet. :) That would be perfect for me. A 4Motion 5spd Passat could be better, but I don't know if one exists at all.
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    that BMW 35D engine is simply awesome; the ultimate family hauler would be either an X5 or 5series station wagon with that engine
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The x5 with the 3.0TTD will be avaialble here in a year or two.

dave
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview diesel passenger car and pick-up owners and Southern California residents who'd like to buy a diesel passenger car but can't because new ones aren't sold in California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 14, 2005 with your daytime contact info, vehicle year/make/model and city/state of residence, and put the word “diesel” in the subject line.
    Edmunds Inside line has article about diesel to be offered in new Miata. Was a shocker to me.
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Anyone know if the new Energy bill just passed by the Senate today contains the tax break for new diesel car buyers that Bush was asking for? (would be similar to the hybrid vehicle tax break...)

Thanks.
    By purchasing a hybrid or diesel car after Jan. 1, 2006, consumers can get a tax credit anywhere from $500 to $3,400 dollars, depending on the fuel efficiency of the car.

The tax credit for a Toyota Prius, for example, would range anywhere from $2,500 to $3,000, according to Toyota.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/pf/energy_bill_consumers/
    CONSUMER TAX CREDITS

"Congress has acknowledged that both clean diesels and hybrids will help boost U.S. fuel efficiency by making the two technologies eligible for the same advanced-vehicle consumer tax credits. These incentives are an important step in expanding the market for energy efficient vehicles. Thanks in part to tax incentives, there will be nearly 10 hybrid models for sale in the U.S. by the end of the year -- up from only two models in 2001 when Congress first enacted the hybrid incentives. Now that diesel vehicles will be eligible for the same advanced-vehicle credits as hybrids, we -- along with a growing chorus of industry analysts -- expect similar growth in the clean diesel market.

"Americans will find that today's diesel cars and trucks are clean, quiet, fun-to-drive and achieve 20 to 40 percent greater fuel economy than gasoline- powered equivalents. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that a 30 percent penetration of clean diesel technology in the U.S. car, truck and SUV market by 2020 would reduce net crude oil consumption by 350,000 barrels per day."

• tdidawgtdidawg Member Posts: 8
    Please give me the link that talks about a diesel in the new miata.
    TDIDog
  • tdidawgtdidawg Member Posts: 8
    Forget it. I found it on my own. My 05 Jetta TDI wagon is just about perfect, but in a few years when the last child goes off to college, I'll be ready to hand it over to my wife and hopefully (if Mazda is not just playing with our heads) get a MX-5 with a peppy diesel. I think the marriage of the MX-5 with the new generation diesels is not only logical, but something consumers will want (so I hope Mazda is listening).

TDIDawg
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    a TDI in an M5? That sounds tempting.

I am convinced that my next car or pickup will be a TDI. Prolly in 2007.

Some candidates, the Toyota Taco, the '07 SportTrac, and whoever else manages to get a diesel in a small pickup or wagon. Hopefully Benz and BMW will have something by then.

The M5 should easily do 36 mpg with a TDI.

John
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    How long it will take the EPA/IRS to come out with the list of clean diesels that get the tax break, what the break actually is and whether the energy bill will speed up availability of diesel models. Many of the US models are diesels in other parts of world. Probably gets timed with ULSD.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Today's regional newpaper here in Eastern Mass. had an article describing the new 2006 MB E320 diesel and that it was going to be available in all fifty states next year, due to cleaner diesel fuel coming to market next year. Is this for real? Has the US finally got up to speed on the diesel fuel issue? I'm starting to feel like a little kid before Christmas if it is going to be possible to buy a diesel car here in Mass. next year !!
    Clean diesel fuel is on it's way, will more diesel vehicles be available in the US and Canada?

Not with attitudes of the following individual.

op ed diesel viewpoint
    Let the NE freeze in the dark. Bring on the small diesel PU trucks and cars. We may be able to increase Biodiesel production faster than Petroleum diesel. Right now today in San Diego the cheapest diesel available is BP/ARCO ULSD. It is 8 cents a gallon cheaper than cheapo truck stop diesel.
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    http://www.whatcar.com/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=216857
    Came home just weny on the normal sites i do to find out whats been going on in the car world and saw that!
    What are your thoughts?
    James
    Diesel Beats Hybrid

Write your legislator! We need the same emissions regs. in the USA as Europe to allow for diesels to be imported.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Why don't they just develop diesels? What does 80% of the efficiency at 50% of the cost mean? Does he mean 50% of the cost of a gallon of fuel? Or 50% of the cost to develop and supply the device(s).

Then he says that the device would give a gas engine 20% better fuel efficiencey. I thought diesels got 30% and better fuel efficiency over gas engines. How does this equate to 80% of the efficiency of a diesel?

This sounds fishy to me and shows how far the 'little 3' automakers need to go in fuel economy principles placed into production.

HCCI engine
    Lean-Burn Technology Vehicles: Qualified "lean burn" vehicles are passenger cars and trucks with internal combustion engines that use a direct injection of a fuel mix with a higher-than-normal percentage of air. Some new diesel cars that will soon be introduced in the U.S. will qualify. Many car enthusiasts (including me) are anxiously awaiting the new crop of diesels, which are already well-accepted in Europe. They will achieve far better fuel economy without sacrificing much performance (unlike some hybrids, which, on steep hills, are often passed by oxcarts).

The lean-burn tax credit amounts are the same as those for hybrid vehicles. So the minimum combined credit amount for a lean burn vehicle that qualifies for both the fuel economy and conservation credits will be $650, while the maximum combined credit will be $3,400. Which vehicles will qualify and how much the credits will be for them remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

http://www.smartmoney.com/taxmatters/index.cfm?story=20050818
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    But unfortunately they also have to meet Tier 2 emissions. It is my understanding that the new diesels can't do that without ULSD and particle traps. So even though the tax credit begins in Jan 06 I don't see having any available models until at least 07 MY. Once again, the tax makers, car makers and fuel makers have conspired against me to get a new car when I want one! :)
    quote - "Diesel fuel is always going to be more efficient than gasoline,” -end
    http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=13375&hed=Diesels+May+Challenge+Hybrids&sector=Re- gions&subsector=Americas">diesel debate
    <a href="
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I just hope the pending demand does not drive up the cost of the new diesel engine cars and pump prices.

Certainly the feds jumping in with goodly rebates will encourage this.

John
    The tax credits for USA are not available to ANY diesel passenger car or truck. They were written into law in such a way that only hybrids will qualify. The emissions levels of the current available diesel vehicles are all too high to qualify. The VW TDI's, the Mercedes, the Liberty, all are not applicable.