Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Diesels in the News

Comments

• Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    about Bush's new energy bill that passed? I realize that doesn't kick in today, but it is supposed to provide $3200 for "clean diesel cars" (which by the way, we don't have yet either). But the money is still coming, isn't it?

John
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    January 2006 is when the tax credit begins. No diesel vehicles are projected to comply with the bill. Why? They fail the emissions standards.

Here is a summary of the projected credits from ACEEE. tax credits

There is a lot of misinformation in the news about tax credits for diesels in the new energy bill.

If you want a tax credit you will have to buy a hybrid, buy it on or after 1 January 2006, AND be one of the 1st 50000 people to buy a hybrid from that manufacturer since there is a 50,000 cap for each manufacturer to particpate in the program.
  • Options
    thanks, I knew the 2007 date was when the newer engines and fuel would be available, but I also thought someone might be bringing in acceptable engines in '06 (Toyota and Mercedes, namely).

Keep us up to date!

John
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That's funny, I wonder how coyotes would run. We are over run with them here in San Diego. Is your car a dog? Put a coyote in your tank :)
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    This looks like the american system with some differences:

American system:
    * simpler
    * might require less upkeep

German system:
    * more efficient
    * can be deployed on a smaller scale
    * faster

Looks like our culural engineering approaches strike again.

dave
  • Options
    The debate is wearing thin. The more the merrier IMHO. Diesel, hybrid, electric, hydrogen and anything else that makes sense.
    diesel vs. hybrid
  • Options
  • Options
    Bring this one to the USA.
    Kia Rio Diesel
  • Options
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    does point out one big advantage of diesels: they can theoretically run on almost anything. Sure, most of the debate today is about crude based diesel fuel, but if that runs out (or becomes prohibitively expensive), a diesel fleet can be converted over to alternative fuels

Hey, if this guys machine/technology actually works (with or without cats) :blush: , he will be quite the rich dude pretty soon.

garbage we ain't gonna be running out of soon!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    torquemeistertorquemeister Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Tough Hurdles :P
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Sounds like Toyota will join GM in missing the boat on the diesel invasion of the next 10 years. When will these automakers learn not to put all their eggs in one basket.

But laggards such as Toyota and General Motors Corp. argue that upcoming US regulations for nitrogen dioxide and particulate matter would require too much spending on research and development.
  • Options
    Ford

Interesting.
  • Options
    algae biodiesel

A bit extreme.
  • Options
    of what value is regen braking if there is no electric propulsion?

Is the regen braking merely to store power for starting the engine, which apparently stops on deceleration?

John
  • Options
    Ford diesel demand UK
    Where are the diesels for US?
  • Options
    300 diesel

If this engine was offered in the Magnum or Charger I'd be willing to give up a body part for one.
  • Options
  • Options
    anyone here about where the miller cycle has ever been adapted to diesel?

With its higher compression, I would speculate that there would be even greater benefit to lowering the exhaust removal penalty. If it is 13% improvement for gasoline, it should be 20% in a diesel.

John
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    I wish we had low sulphur diesel now. I can imagine this would be a huge hit in the market these days.
  • Options
    Set 8 World Records just a bit off topic
  • Options
  • Options
    zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    I live in Cali and it's looking now like they might not allow diesels in even after we get better dino-diesel in 06. I want to run bio-diesel and it's very frustrating! Sometimes we just go overboard with emissions standards... I even started checking used diesels in other states to import.

My fave site: http://www.biodiesel.org
  • Options
    New Dawn
    All those 2.8L diesels lined up is a beautiful thing! :)
  • Options
    yep, but I hope we will be getting more than just Jeep Liberties in 2007. I would love to see the new Mazda 5 with the 6 speed manual that gets sold in Europe.

John
  • Options
  • Options
    cactus5cactus5 Member Posts: 22
    My first Dodge and I love it. At 54 years old I found a way to make it happen. We had a gasoline pipeline break between tucson and Phoenix about 2 summers ago. Yep everyone runnin around scared for 3 weeks looking for gas. But guess what there was diesel fuel everywhere. So I think I'll take my chances looking for diesel. Cause when I want to run up to Vegas or down to Mexico maybe I won't have a problem finding fuel. And I never liked changing the spark plugs in my old 1995 302 F-150, but I'm real good at changing the oil. I'm just not sure which oil to use when it's 112 next summer here in Phoenix Arizona
  • Options
    Cheron Delo 15W-40. I use it exclusively for diesels here in central valley CA. Handles the heat well.

John
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Shell Rotella (they make a conventional 15W-40 and a synthetic 5W-40 I believe) as well as Mobil Delvac 1, which is also a 5W-40. Delvac one is a seriously beefy oil but you'd probably be fine with what's called an HDEO 15W-40.
  • Options
    Hey John I noticed you said diesels ,How many do you own?
  • Options
    2 right now. Tractor engines. Iveco 239cubic inch in a New Holland TNF95.

A big Nissan diesel in a spray rig. Not even sure what it is, it came from Japan from one of their programs.

Sad thing is I can't buy a diesel for a passenger type vehicle or small pickup here in CA.

John
  • Options
    Hello kevm14, So What you you and everybody reading this think of the synthetics. I used to use a semi-synthetic in my old F-150 and liked it. I would like to make this new baby last a long time.Oil and Fuel filter change sound like the most important to me.
  • Options
    Ya John , I heard about CA and diesels ,Maybe that will change when the lower sulfer fuel comes on board
  • Options
    not that you asked me, but I like synthetics in my gasoline engines, and regular dino in my diesels. The diesels get contaminated too fast to get all the benefits from a synthetic. Plus, my diesels take two to three gallons at a crack and that gets pricey for non-dino oil.

John
  • Options
    Nissan makes a diesel? I didn't know that. Sounds like you love diesels as much as I do. My girlfriends cousin Tony has a Duramax, and another has a 93 powerstroke. I think the Cummins is the best domestic diesel.
  • Options
    That's great info about synthetics,John,. the Cummins takes 2 gallons. I appreciate any advice from you or anybody.
  • Options
    "best" is relative. We test diesel irrigation pumps, and yes, Cummins generally has very efficient engines. Catepillar is also good; John Deere is generally right up there too. Some of the Deutz models are good. Case engines are not as efficient, at least the ones I have run into.

Each the manufacturers make a fairly efficient engine, but they have ones in their line up that are not so great.

Nissan actually had a small diesel pickup that they sold in the US in the 80's. My brother in law owns it now. It is hard to get parts. Your comment--Nissan makes a diesel? is pretty common. They are big overseas.

John
  • Options
    If it has an EGR, use synthetic at CI-4 or higher rating. Older diesel engines are fine with dino unless you are running extended drain intervals.

Does Dodge specify synthetic for the 05 and newer Cummins?
  • Options
    Sounds like the rest of the World has been ahead of the game when it comes to diesels. Do you think the USA public will ever catch on? My Dad use to drive a garage truck in Rochester N.Y. Boy I remenber those winters helping him behind that diesel truck. Got some sawdust in the fuel tank one year that was a mess.
  • Options
    Hello moparbad, I've been reading your post for some years I think? Thanks for the EGR info. moparbad sounds like a true DODGE boy to me. Dodge makes me think of Richard Petty.
  • Options
    Of course when you talk diesels to 2 30 years olds it's all about speed. I'm 54 and not real interested in that. It's more about how many hours and years can I get out of my new truck.
  • Options
    the diesels WILL come, and most people won't even know the difference except at the pump.

I am reminded everytime I hook up an implement and fill my tractor, I stink like fuel and exhaust for quite some time. Good ol' boy once told me I needed a propane tractor, wife is a lot more agreeable to kissing a propane man than a diesel man.

John