Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• watercrestwatercrest Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 V8 Tundra extracab. Last Jan. I hydroplane and spun 180 degree on the 105 freeway at 70 mph then smacked against the center divider cement blocks sideway. Most of the impact was absorbed by the rear tires and axle, with minimal rear bed damage. I was able to start and made a U turn on the freeway and continue on to LAX. My insurance paid out about $3000 in damages. However, ever since I could hear this strange metallic clicking or scraping noise coming from somewhere around the rear wheel. The noise is very low and comes on when going 35mph or more. I can't seemed to determine what it is or what is causing it. It does not affect the performance of my truck but just curious what's causing it. Any idea or suggestion would be appreciated.
  • mark2550mark2550 Member Posts: 3
    Have been seriouly looking at the nissan titan but was leery of several post so decided to look at other trucks looked at everything available since our town was having a tent sale this weekend all dealer's in one location. Looked at dodge,nissan,honda and headed to the toyota, chevy dealer and my wife and I were discussing on what we were going to later test drive, as we entered the rear of the toyota dealership I spotted a 2004 toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab I told her I wanted to look inside since the dealership hadn't had a limited on their lot at least not the past month weve been looking. Well we eneded up buying it.

I've only had it for about 7 hrs as I write this so please inform of all the good and bad about this truck hadn't researched this paticuler model so hope I didn't goof anyway here is what I got a 2004 maroon limited double cab 4x4 with 4200 miles on it, ended up giving $27800.00 plus differnce I still owed on my other vehicle and good ole tax,lic.so grand total was right at 31,000.00 it was previously owned by the service mgr's daughter and husband and they told me they traded due to gas prices and mileage and purchased a new tacoma I think they will miss this truck hope this truck will be reliable as other owner's claim it to be
  • sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    I bought the same model to replace a 2004 Sienna and have been completely happy with it. Other then normal maintenance over the last year it has not been in for service for anything else. My two previous Siennas were frequent visitors to the service shop. I have been very impressed with the ride as it is very smooth and in winter conditions it handled very well. At this point I have no negative concerns other then I sure wish I could pass those darn gas stations without trying to veer in.
  • jglasmannjglasmann Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up a new Tundra DC yesterday. This truck is really quiet and very smooth on the highway. I drove it over a mountain pass today and averaged 20.58 MPG. I thought that was amazing considering it has less than 500 miles. I am looking forward to following the Tundra forums.
  • sfh1sfh1 Member Posts: 8
    Congratulations on your new Tundra!

Interesting because your story is similar to mine. I was seriously considering the Nissan Titan -- LOVED IT. The Titan was so much fun to drive and none of the domestics measured up. I looked at every full-size truck as well as Dakota, Tacoma, and Frontier (and I think Frontier is easily the winner of the mid-size trucks). Didn't like the Tundra SR5, but I test drove a low-mileague 2004 Limited and loved it. I made an offer and exchanged 4 or 5 calls with the sales manager. I think they were going to sell it to me when someone walked in off the street and bought it. AH well . . .I went to the Toyota dealer and bought the 2005 model for about $5000 under sticker (but about $4000 more than the used vehicle).

When I bought my last truck, I chose Dakota over Tundra because Dakota was so much more fun to drive. While that was true, I still wish I'd chosen the Tundra because the Dakota spent too much time in the shop for my tastes. I was worried about the same thing with the Nissan, so I opted for the Tundra D-Cab. It's a fantastic ride with plenty of room in the cab. While it's not as much fun to drive as Titan, it meets my needs for a truck and is very comfortable.

I've added the K&N drop-in filter, an Access Lorado Tonneau, and custom hitch cover.

You didn't goof. You'll love your truck. $27,800 is a great price on the 04 with under 5k miles. The one I almost bought was about the same and had 12k miles.
    The price on the Titan was hard to pass by. A couple of my friends questioned why I choose the Tundra over the Titan. I prefer the more conservative style of the Tundra, plus I like the more plush interior.

I can't wait to pull my travel 4,000 lb travel trailer after the break in period. Planning a camping trip in the rockies in 2 more weeks. My previous vehicle was 99 Trooper which pulled the trailer okay without a reserve for passing slow traffic. Trooper was much easier to park then the long DC Titan.
  • mark2550mark2550 Member Posts: 3
    Thank's for all who have replied to my new purchase have been out last couple evenings just joy riding and getting a better feel for the truck so far enjoying the truck.

(SFH1) I agree with you the Titan was alot of fun to drive this was the truck I was going to buy but the interior felt really cheap and I'm pretty hard on my vehicles plus the titan did offer alot of neat features for the money,I believe the tundra was the better choice for me at this time will wait to see ya never know ????
    I had also test drove the dodge ram quad not enough rear room for my needs, the new tacoma trd little rear room as well looked at the following vehicles Honda ridgeline several neat features, dodge dakota, chevy avalanche outdated look inside and out, and then this tundra showed up so I said heck well drive it as well and the rest is history
  • btdbtd Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2005 Tundra three weeks ago. Noticed there was no dip stick to check automatic transmission fluid. Advised by dealer to bring the truck back after 30,000 mile to have transmission filter and fludi changed. First why would they do away with the ability to check the fuid? I've always performed maintenance on my trucks. How hard is it to service the transmission yourself? How does the fluid go in?
  • jeredjered Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how I can get a copy of my Toyota Tundra's Original Window Sticker. It's a 2005 Access Cab.

Thanks Jered
  • jeredjered Member Posts: 2
    I just got an 05 SR5 Access Cab with a 4.7 V8 and am got 19.3 on the interstate. It does drop to about 16 around town. The only thing I have added is a tonnau cover over the back. The only one I could find made for the stepside is an axcess cover.
    Jered
  • sfh1sfh1 Member Posts: 8
    Go to a dealer. If you have the VIN, they should be able to produce a copy of the sticker. I doubt they do this for free, but that's where I'd start.
    I also recently purchased a 2005 Tundra and asked the Service Mgr why there was no way to check the transmission fluid. His reply was the 2005 Tundra is using a new type transmission fluid that should not require changing under normal driving conditions.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I can't speak too much for the double cab Tundra, but I can say that purchasing my 02 Access cab was the best decision I have ever made on a vehicle, and I have had better than 20 vehicles. There are a few people posting problems, but most are copies of others and can be found on every other vehicle listed too. The only problem I ever had with mine was prying my wife and son's hands off the steering wheel long enough to drive it myself. I traded for a Tacoma in August (got a stick so she can't drive it), but I kick myself daily. I love my Tacoma and the true 4 doors, but that Tundra was unbeatable. I didn't go with the 4 door Tundra because the turning radius is greater and I was hoping for better mileage (did gain a minimal amount). If Toyota doesn't ruin the Tundra in the next 3 years, I will once again be a proud Tundra owner. For now I have to settle for the Tacoma and Sequoia (wife is getting hers next week). Don't get me wrong, the Tacoma is second only because the Tundra is untouchable.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    After owning two tundras, currently still have a 02 V8 SR5 that pulls my camper around; I can only hope that Toyota will build a better one. T-100 was a TRUCK. My Tundras aren't.

Don't get me wrong. My Tundra is a wonderful tow vehicle, but other than its major recalls, it just cannot take any punishment. I attribute most of it to the independent front suspension. No matter what I do to it, it just shakes. Brakes got overhauled. Fixed the front bearings. Put better tires on it. It still shakes. I only have 2 years left ,to pay on it, and its cheaper to keep it. Its still worth most of what I paid for it. I have only 25K on it. Its sad to say that my 4 cylinder T-100 was much better than my V8 Tundra. Actually, my V6 Tundra was better.

I know that my engine and transmission are bulletproof for the most part, and it has never heated up ever. However, compared to my past Trucks (all Toyotas), it falls way short.

I hope to have a new 3/4 Tundra someday, but please make it a TRUCK.
  • shadingding1shadingding1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

A couple of days ago, someone broken the driver side quarter window on my Tundra Access SR5. I am wondering anyone here know good web based sellers sell Toyota auto parts.

I appreciate for any input.

shadingdings.
  • shadingding1shadingding1 Member Posts: 3
    Just found it out there no other sellers sell the parts for a brand-new car except the dealer itself.

shadingding1
  • orb1orb1 Member Posts: 4
    I know this must have been covered before but I just can't seem to find the info I need doing a search. My apolgies if it is a FAQ.

Has anyone installed either an OEM or aftermarket cruise control unit for their Tundra? If so how hard was it to install?, Where did you get it? and how much was it?

Love my new 05 access cab, manual transmission but would really like cruise control for those long highway trips.

If anyone is looking for an end of the year bargain the '05's gets a $3,000 cash back from Toyota. My out the door price was 19,203 with a bed liner, fog lamps and comfort package.

Best regards,

orb
  • reedfarmreedfarm Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 4x4 8cyl and think it's a little anemic when towing. I do like the truck though.
    My problem is I can't grease the front u-joint. The joint doesn't open up far enough to put the grease gun on the zerk fitting. Haven't had it to the dealer yet (no time). Only 6K miles on it. After I couldn't grease it, I took it to a local garage, put it on a lift and he couldn't do it either.

Any advice?
    Have no idea.

In terms of towing, I usually leave everyone because they can't keep up at least till the sway speed where the fifth wheels pass me. I know its all about power/weight. My camping trailer dry is 4750 and somewhere around 5300 or so wet.

I would really like a 12000 limit for later use for a slightly bigger camper with a slideout.
  • jsc1234jsc1234 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there have any issues engaging their 4WD system under certain circumstances?
  • knappb_usknappb_us Member Posts: 8
    I a have a 2000 tundra 4x4 which i bought new. it has 70,000 miles on it. i took it in to be serviced at about 36,000 miles and they replaced the left exhaust manifold because they said it was warped. Now, at 70,000 miles the right side exhaust manifold is also warped. the dealer said they would fix it for $900. this seems pretty high to replace one manifold. it also seems to me that these are defective and should be recalled. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • awillrawillr Member Posts: 1
    I just got quoted $2168 for replacing both manifolds. Went in when the check engine light came on and my local garage replaced both oxygen sensors. Dealers tech says both exhausts are "leaking". Perhaps that means cracked or warped or????????????

I have a 2000 with 75,000 miles.

Let me know how common this problem is. How can both manifolds fail if there is not some kind of design problem?
  • knappb_usknappb_us Member Posts: 8
    I have talked to the service manager at the dealership where I bought the truck and he said " I've replaced a lot of those". what that means, I don't know. However,this appears to me to be a factory defect and toyota should fix the problem, which they won't. I had the first one go at 36000 miles and now this one. they told me they are warped and can't be milled. defective, obviously. I took my case to the district manager and he said they will cover 50% of the bill IF I had my truck serviced at the dealership. I do the service (religously) myself, so they said they will pick up 35% of the bill. why? that has nothing to do with the manifolds. The cost $575, which is better that the original $900 they quoted me. I will NEVER buy another toyota. I hvae owned a 93 4x4, 95 t-100 4x4, 97 4-runner, 2000 tundra 4x4 all purchased new. :lemon: :mad:
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Does the Tundra come with "full-time" 4WD?

Toyota seems to be somewhat vague on this. The say it comes with "Touch-Select" electronically-controlled 2-speed 4WD. That tells me nothing other than the driver can activate the 4WD or not, and that there's a 2-speed transfer case.

Toyota is much more specific with their other truck 4x4 systems:

Tacoma: Part-time 4WD
    4Runner V6: Multi-Mode 4WD, which includes a full-time mode
    4Runner V8: Full-time 4WD
    Sequoia: Multi-Mode 4WD, which includes a full-time mode
    Land Cruiser: Full-time 4WD
    FJ Cruiser: Part-time 4WD w/automatic; Full-time 4WD w/manual

So what is the "Touch-Select" found on the Tundra? Is it an "on-demand" full-time unit, like Ford's Control Trac or GM's Auto Trac?

Bob
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    It is a part time system. It does not have a center differential, so it should not be used on dry pavement. When in 4WD the front and rear shafts are locked together, so it is really hard to turn.
  • bill_viverettebill_viverette Member Posts: 2
    Continuing the earlier thread...

I was looking for an F-150 5.4L (300HP) or a Nissan Titan (305HP). Then I realized the realiability and resale were SO MUCH BETTER for the Toyata Tundra! So I want to better understand why it is consistently dismissed as a "full size" pickup in favor of the F-150 and Titan.

Also, I have been told by several 4.6L F-150 drivers/towers that they wish they had bought a 5.4L F-150. So I am concerned about the towing ABILITY (not capacity, mind you) of the V-8 Tundra.

I will only be towing 2-3 times a year, and it's not like Houston, TX and Baytown, TX are that hilly. But I don't want to approach an overpass and be thinking "damn, why did I buy this for the reliability and resale value, when I really wanted was a good towing vehicle?".

If you can respond knowledgably, I ask only that you DO NOT CITE TOWING CAPACITY OF 7600#. That means nothing to me. Tell me how yours pulls 5000# on a real hill, in passing, etc.

Talk to me!

Thanks Edmunds,

Bill
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I haven't pulled with mine yet, but in the past have owned Ford 4.6L, and both Chevy engines 4.8L and 5.3L, as well. IMHO the Toyota 4.7L is much stronger than either small V8, and on-par with the Chevy 5.3L. I think the Ford 5.4L would tow much better just because it's a very torquey motor. It's also the slowest empty so I guess it depends on what you want.

The Ford 4.6L feels overwhelmed empty and is a towing nightmare even with only 5,000# behind it which is about all I tow with my 1/2 ton. At least in a 5,000# truck. Maybe a reg. cab 2wd Ford would be ok with that motor, but not the ext/crew cabs. On the highway, my 4.8L Chevy would pull 5,000# ok. I have no doubt the Toyota will do at least the same or better. The Toyota feels much quicker and has better torque than the Chevy 4.8L.

I'm not sure I buy into the HUGE reliability gap. The resale certainly is better in the short-term for the Toyota. I closely considered the F-150 Crew-cab long-bed but it was over $100/month more on similar 36 month lease deals. There were things I liked better on each.

The Double-cab Tundra is just as big as any of the other full-size trucks. The reg. cab and access cabs are a bit smaller.
  • cyclone7cyclone7 Member Posts: 6
    I just traded my 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 4.8L engine in on a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab.I always wished that my GMC had more power when pulling my 3500# camper.I have not pulled the camper yet but I did pull a snowmobile trailer to Canada.With the trailer,sleds and gear I probably had about 2000-2500#.I could barely tell it was there.I'm looking forward to pulling the camper.The one thing that is bothering me is my fuel mileage.I only get around 14mpg back and forth to work and that's not stop and go traffic.It's all country roads at 60-65mph.A friend of mine who's had his Tundra for about a year says he gets 17-19mpg running back and forth to town and up to 22 on the highway.I've heard from other people too that my mileage will get better.I hope so.I was also looking at a 2006 Chevy Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 5.3L when I decided to buy the Tundra.A couple of people I know with the new Chevy and GMC 5.3L say they get around 17mpg.The Tundra measures about three inches narrower inside from armrest to armrest than the GM trucks but legroom in the back is much better than the GM's.You would have to go with the crew cab at much more cost.Toyota quality, reliability, warranty and price were my deciding factors in choosing the Tundra.Hopefully the mileage will get better.You will be very impressed with the power and torque in the 4.7L and I think that it will tow 5000# without any problem. Many Toyota and non-Toyota people have told me the same.As soon as I tow my camper I will post again.
  • cl109508cl109508 Member Posts: 3
    Bill,
    Have a 2003 Tundra extra cab. I live in CT and we have a lot of hills. Towed a friends 4500lb boat just this summer and we quite impressed with it. On average I towed a trailer with 2 quads on it max weight about 2500lbs. The boat itself according to the tag weighed in at 3500lbs but was informed by owner this was the weight without fuel engine (it was an outboard) along with other ods and ends. Plus trailer(not sure what that weighed on its own. But he assured me it was around 4500-4800lbs combined. He happend to have the ford F-150 with the 5.4 but it was at the dealer. Was able to tow no problem buddy was actually impressed said the Tundra felt like it was having an easy time of it. Also stopping just as if not more important was excellent. Not saying I didn't know the trailer was on but she towed it with no fuss. Hope this helps.
    Cliff
  • ortort Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a Tundra extended cab with the V6. I was pleasantly surprised with it's power and performance. Can anyone with the 4 liter post how their Tundra has performed? More specifically: gas mileage they are actually getting, power on hills, towing ability, reliability, etc., and if they have any regrets not getting the V8?? I was pretty set on the V8, but given my uses for the truck, and the small, but not insignificant gas mileage improvement with the V6, I am questioning things a bit. Any input would be appreciated to help with my buying decision.
    Mine is a 02 SR5 V8 extended cab. I did own a 00 V6 regular cab with manual before. I am an avid camper and I have towed my camper which weighs around 4850 dry and 5400 wet on several long trips. Last year, I went to Vermont from my home state of NC. The tundra is a great towing vehicle. In the Pennsylvania mountains, it never lost a beat. I have also towed it to Disney as well as the Gulf Shores in my other longer trips.

Actually I towed the same trailer with my V6 before I traded, but never took to the mountains. I had people in disbelief when I told them it was a base V6.

My V8 currently has 26,000 on it. It is used mostly for towing and the occasional trip for hiking. My daily driver is a xB. The truck has two recalls that were fixed for free. I have a third one when the oxygen sensor goes out as I have heard from other people.

I have driven the truck in 17 states and it averages 19 without towing and 9.8 at 60 mph and 7.8 at 70 mph while towing. With gas prices being higher, I never go over 60. The back seat (extended cab) makes a great bed for the wife on those long trips and the truck is especially comfortable. The only thing I have done to it in terms other than regular maintenance is I put some 245/75 16 Michelin tires on it which are much more stable while towing than the Dunlop Grandtreks that came on it. I gave those away.

The only downside (other than the recalls) is that the truck's gas tank is too small. Otherwise, when you reach 160 miles, you need to find some gas while towing. I always put gas in at 1/4 left in the tank while towing especially when you are traveling at night.

The truck has done what I have wanted it to do and it only has lost (retail) 2000 in value. I would really like to have one of those 10000 plus towing capacities on my next truck and I really hope the new Tundra will NOT have the independent front suspension which make the truck very sensitive to potholes and such.

The funny thing is that I still can out accelerate (normal nor racing) about any truck (other than a Titan) up a hill while towing and the other truck is towing as well. However, I have noticed that the secret is to the gearing. I don't let the transmission hunt and the low and second gears are used for extreme climbs up and down to be constantly in saftey. I always tow normally in third (mine is a four speed) if its on normal grounds.
  • bear13bear13 Member Posts: 1
    On one of the other forums I came across some info on vibration in the Tundra.
    One of the checks was to take a piece of string and attach it to one of the flats on the front "vibration" joint aft of the transmission and then run it back to the rear "U" joint at the rear end. Tighten the string, then check for out-of-alignment of the split drive shaft. If the drive shaft is not in alignment from side to side within 1/8" it will cause a slight vibratrion.
    Another item that came up was that some of the Toyota wheels would not grip the tire bead sufficiently and over time the tire would rotate on the wheel and cause an inbalance which will cause vibration.
    It only took me five years to find all this out on my 2000 Tundra Extended Cab 4x4.
  • zimbobzimbob Member Posts: 1
    Bill:

I own a 2004 Tundra Double Cab with 25K miles, and I tow a 6000# 27' travel trailer. With gear, kids, dog, full tank of gas, etc., I'm sure I'm very close to the towing capacity of the vehicle. I've easily put 8K miles on that trailer with the truck. Some notes:

- With that kind of weight on the truck, it must be driven with the overdrive off, otherwise the transmission is constantly trying to jump into 4th gear with marginal success. Overdrive off driving results in very poor gas mileage. Even in flat road situations, I have been as low as 6 mpg when heading into the wind. At best, you can expect 9 - 10 mpg when pulling big weight.

- Even at or near maximum towing capacity, the vehicle feels safe and stable. I do tow with an equalizer hitch, and there has yet to be a time when I felt at risk. In particular, I blew a tire on the trailer (double axle, so 4 wheels) on a rough track of I-15 between St. George, UT, and Mesquite, NV, and I was able to go several more miles to bring us to a safe spot to pull over with no difficulty.

- I lived in Salt Lake City, UT, for a couple of years, and I pulled that trailer all over the state...not exactly the flattest place on the planet. The bad news: I was routinely passed by larger Ford 250's, Chevy 2500's, and Ram 2500's. The good news: I made it up several nasty, 7%+ grades while doing 45 mph and I was NEVER passed by a 150 or 1500.

I shopped Chevy 1500 and Nissan Titan against the Toyota, and, given the same conditions as early 2004, I would make the Toyota purchase all over again. At the time, Titans were very new, and I don't buy first year vehicles as a rule. The Chevy was a nice truck, and I could get more towing capacity out of it, but the value (resale, in particular) was suspect at the time, and I think with GM's rebates and pricing models of late, my decision has borne out well for me.

Good luck in your decision!

Bob Baker
    Snohomish, Washington
  • newarchernewarcher Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 Tundra double cab with the TRD package and towing package.....so far, I LOVE IT.

However, I am feeling a weird sensation in the gas pedal while driving. How to describe it. It isn't a transmission grinding but more a roughness. Sort of like if you were to put two sets of gears with rough teeth together and make the gears spin. It isn't grinding but just feels like a small vibration. It usually happens under loads (i.e. starting out or around 50 MPH when I start up a hill).

I am curious to know if this is the way Toyotas feel or if I have a dud on my hands. It seems to be shifting well with no problems although that first gear is REALLY REALLY LOW! :D

Anyone else have this? Ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
    New
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    I met up with a guy down in Colorado Springs at Peterson AFB(elev 6500) with a Tundra and a good size 5th wheel camper. Asked him about the Tundra (cause I had one) and the guy would not stop talking about how he loved the truck and towing ability. Had better than 30K with the trailer in tow. Said he had been from CS to sea level and back half a dozen times with excellent response. I have a tendancy to believe a 70+ year old veteran.
  • livinglargelivinglarge Member Posts: 1
    We are evaluating and hoping to purchase a 6600# travel trailer. Love our Toyota, hoping it will tow OK for weekend trips through some (southwest) mountains. Just me & spouse.

I'm reading all kinds of thoughts & experiences - anyone have experience with this kind of weight? Or are we crazy and need to buy a bigger truck?
  • steve_htsteve_ht Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2006 Tundra, and when I had a topper put on it by the dealer, was surprised to find that the light inside the topper only works when the ignition is in the "run" position.

It turns out the wiring harness on the tow package is wired through the ignition, rather than directly to power. Does anyone know if this is standard on these trucks, and if so, why on earth they did that, and if there is an easy work-around.

Thanks
  • shhendrishhendri Member Posts: 7
    I have a Tundra 05 dbl cab V8, and was wondering if anyone has installed an after market exhaust. Have you seen any gains from the install? What does it sound like in the cab?
  • revvyrevvy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 06 Tundra to pull a boat, and that will weigh about 6500# also. I will let you know how it goes later this week.
  • gsilvernalegsilvernale Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 V6 (4.0L) Access CAB SR5 with 5 Speed Automatic. I routinely get 19 MPG around suburbia. My best mileage was 23 MPG on a road trip where speed limit was 60MPH.
    I towed a 3000 lb boat/trailer at 70 MPH on the freeway and got 17 mpg.

I drive conservatively.(not a lead foot anymore)

My previous truck was a 3.4 V6 T100 Extended Cab. The Tundra gets about 1 MPG less then the T100 around town, but the motor is much more powerful.

The 4.0 V6 seems to be very torquey for its size. On the freeway towing the boat, it very rarely down shifted out of 5th gear, even in the rolling hills of South Carolina.
    I have recently purchased a 2006 Tundra, and when I had a topper put on it by the dealer, was surprised to find that the light inside the topper only works when the ignition is in the "run" position.

It turns out the wiring harness on the tow package is wired through the ignition, rather than directly to power. Does anyone know if this is standard on these trucks, and if so, why on earth they did that, and if there is an easy work-around.

Think someone is filling you full of beans. All of the factory tow packages I have seen have only the blinkers, brake lights and tail lights hooked up (have a 7 wire plug, but only 4 are wired). None of them will do you any good even if the ignition IS on unless the lights are turned on. My first tacoma had the topper light hooked to the tail lights, so I had to turn them (parking lights atleast) on to get the canopy light to work. No need for the ignition though. I would guess that the dealer wires the canopy into the ignition (not the tow lights) so you will not leave the light on in the canopy and drain the battery. The easy work around is to run a fused wire to the battery. That is how my current canopy is wired.
  • sp_localsp_local Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like the same thing I am experiencing! Between 30-40 MPH is when it is the most noticeable. I hear an intermitant grinding sound. My first thought was wheel bearing. Then I though maybe my drums were out of round so I replaced them and put new rear brake shoes on. I still hear the sound. Did you figure out what it was? it doesn't sound good and I would like to fix it. Mine is a 2000 tundra V8 2WD. :confuse:
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    Been looking at '06 Base Tundra's w/ 4.0 L V-6 and discovered in the online owners manual that PREMIUM fuel is recommended..This doesnt make much sense with todays high gas prices. Has anyone with an '05 or '06 4.0L tried using regular? and if so what was the outcome? My '99 tacoma ( 2.4L)runs on 87 octane w/ no problems, even my '04 MUSTANG GT runs well on 87 octane. Thanks.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The 4.0L is a higher compression engine and to maximize it's performance/economy, you'll need to run 91 octane. Many of Toyotas higher performace (for their size) engines recommend this. That being said, I've owned a few Toyota Camrys with the V6 motors and ran plain old 87 octane most of the time. You might feel a slight lack of performance if you're hammering on it. With the trucks, you'd probaly notice it when towing.

My cars had about a 1mpg fuel penalty when running 87 octane. That wasn't enough to justify the cost of premium, at least not when fuel was $1/gallon. Might be a different story now...do the math.

I assume you're looking at the 4.0L because of fuel economy? You might sniff around and see what others with the 4.0L in a Tundra are getting for mileage. My experience with full size trucks is the V6 models rarely do much better than their V8 counterparts. A 2wd reg. cab might be ok, but sometimes a V8 can move the weight more efficiently.
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    I agree v-6's tend to not do much better than V-8's on fuel economy.The thing I like about the V-6 is that it has timing chains instead of a timing belt, like the 4.7L v-8. Besides, the base tundra V-6'S in my area currently have 2,500.00 rebates,not bad if the trucks are as good as the earlier Toyota reputation dictates.(it has seemed to me that the japanese have made much tougher 4 cyls. than v-6's, anyone rememember the 3.0 V-6 truck and forerunner headgasket blowing fiasco's from around the early '90"s or so? also at the time of this writing Tundra's are still made in japan, won't be for long though.. my '99 tacoma has G.M. parts in it!(Harrison radiator, maybe more that is less obvious)(can't complain too much though, the radiator is still holding up, but has been drained and filled approx every 18-24 months, using distilled water and name brand coolant)..
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    The Tundra has been made in Indiana since its debut in 2000.
  • mowrey1999mowrey1999 Member Posts: 3
    John, Just replying to your post about the tundra with the V6. I more or less went thru the same dilema after having a Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4 v6 for 6 years and over 100000 thousand miles and towing everything from small trailers to my car hauler loaded with a 3200 pound car, the Tacoma did everything I wanted, and never any problems, The only thing I really wanted was to be able to haul a sheet of ply wood or bigger items than the tacoma would haul without getting a trailer every time,As far as I was concerned after looking at the chevys, fords and dodges I still needed a dependable vehicle and dont like all the american vehicles recalls there always getting so I ordered the full size Tundra,V6 ,tilt wheel, air ect, you cant get much on them and if you want fog lights order them since they cant be put on without voiding the warranty toyota told me , After getting mine I added a hitch,Bug deflecter undercoated it and put on a aftermarket topper by ARE,I have been getting between 19 and 19.5 mpg since it was new all around ,That is very good as far as I am concerned and it isnt broken in yet, It has hauled a couple trailers so far loaded down with a small boat, hauled lots of wood around the farm I have and has done everything I could have expected, I am very pleased so far and glad I went with the Tacoma and glad I would definately by another and if I was pulling a dual axle trailer and boat constantly i might have considered the v8 but only doing light hauling and wanting the mileage I am very happy with the tundra 4.0 v6 and so far has plenty of power almost 240 horsepower and torque, I am also glad I didnt get another tacoma, the truck was nice but a little over priced compared to what you get in a full size. also I didnt need the automatic door locks and power windows ect, they are a convience item and good to have but saving a few thousand dollars is even better in my book,The tundra I bought was 15650.00 out the door +Tax title and lic, I didnt get any extended warrantys and did my own undercoating ect. hope this helps and good luck.
    Just replying to the post on the v6 and I just bought a tundra with the v6 and went thru the same dilema, I had a tacoma with a v6 2001 3.4 and I towed way more than the vehicle was supposed to , It wasnt the fastest vehicle on the road but had good power ,When it came time to get a new truck I was set on the v8 and no dealers had one on the lot but all said they could order one, I have always preferred the v8 over the 6 in terms of power but I went ahead and drove the v6 and was pretty surprised with the power considering the extra weight, I finally decided to just get one off the lot I had seen and have been very pleased so far, I have towed my small boat thru southern illinois and missouri in the foothills with out any problems, I have been getting between 19-19.5 mpg since it was new all around and have a camper top and a few other items on it ,I would say if your just doing general hauling and not hauling a dual axle trailer all over it shouldnt be a problem, I really dont think my truck would have a problem even hauling a bigger boat since the v6 has 245 Hp 282Tq ft pds and the v8 only has 282hp and 325 tq so not a lot of difference but so far I am exremely pleased with the performance and towing ability and best of all about 4-5 mpg better than the v8 hope that helps
    As far as running premium I just recently purchased the tundra 4.0 v6 and have never run premium fuel and have been averaging over 19mpg, I might get a little better as someone mentioned that the v6 is a higher compression motor but I dont know if you could even notice the benefit of the higher octane fuel verses the extra cost involved, Mine has never made and pinging noises like the older vehicles used to do and mine has been towing and doing great, I have a couple friends who have the v8 and there averaging a all around mileage about 14.5 to 15 mpg, so I am very happy with the extra 4-5 mpg better than the v8 the others have been getting and on a trip or all hwy I have been getting right at 21 to 21.5 and thats doing 70 mph + so just posting my results.