Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• avstar1k100avstar1k100 Member Posts: 2
    How can I turn off the passenger airbag on 06 Tundra V6, SR5, access cab?.
    According to manual there is a key slot next to cigarette outlets, but on mine there is nothing, but there is an indicator light on the panel shows passenger airbag off/on.
    I looked everywhere but could not find the key slot. Please help. Thank you.
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    thanks, good to hear you are happy with the truck,19 mpg all around is not bad at all for a full size, and not even broke in yet...later
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Does Toyota make any DoubleCab Tundra's with front bench seat? The spec on Toyota's website indicate this as an available option, but I had dealers telling me it's not available. Can anyone help shed some light on this? I would love to get a Tundra but need to seat 6 every once in a while. Thanks.
  • shhendrishhendri Member Posts: 7
    I have a 05' dble cab tundra, spilt 60/40 bench in front. I see no reason that dealers would say they don't exist. Try another dealer.
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    I have an 04 double cab and have considered adding a cat back exhaust system, however, gains are only approx 5 hp with a very modest gain in torque at a very high rpm. I remember when I added a gibson cat back to my 94 dodge ram and I did not notice any real gain just a more throaty exhaust. Toyota puts a good stainless steel exhaust system on your truck, so if it were me I would save my money, unless you just want the throaty sound.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    The transmission on my 01 Tundra with 87000 miles failed this weekend. Dealer indicated it would be $3500.00. I asked him to contact the regional rep. to see if Toyota would be willing to cover anything. Their response -NOTHING! I followed up with a call to the 800 number and received the same assistance - THEY WOULD COVER NOTHING.
    Reason: out of warranty.
    This is not my first Toyota truck; however, it is the first experience I had discussing coverage on such a major vehicle component as the transmission. I explained to them that a company who routinely has advertisements with customers who have driven 100000 and 200000 miles should be willing to cover some of the cost of a major component like the transmission at under 100000 miles.
    The transmission was serviced according to the maintenance schedule, and I NEVER towed with the truck. I didn't even heavy haul in the truck. I was hoping that Toyota would support the vehicle, but it did not happen.
    Think twice before you purchase a Tundra for long mileage: I recommend getting rid of the truck quickly after the powertrain warranty lapses (60000 miles)
    I wish I had read some of the information concerning the Tundra transmission problems prior to my purchase. More importantly, had I known this would be Toyota's response, I would not have ever purchased the vehicle at the outset. :lemon:
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    Be careful indicating your Tundra transmission is bulletproof.
    I have an 01 Tundra. Transmission serviced according to mait schedule, never towed anything, never carried any heavy loads.
    Transmission failed at 87000. Toyota would not assist at all with the cost of the repair. I presented my case to both the regional rep and the national rep. "Out of warranty" was their answer: Toyota will cover NOTHING.
    This Tundra was not my first Toyota truck, but it's likely to be my last considering Toyota's response to assisting with the cost of a major powertrain component as a transmission with less than 100000 miles under "light" duty as a truck.
    A trucks true performance is in the long haul. Considering the conditions under which the transmission failed, I do not consider the Tundra a truck worth keeping beyond 60000 miles (The powertrain warranty) :lemon:
  • rangerjim1999rangerjim1999 Member Posts: 2
    I was told by a salesman that the seat has sensors that tell when someone is in the opassenger seat and turns "on" the airbag. If no one is seating there, the air bag is turned off. I was told this on my double cab and I would assume it would be the same on the access cab.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. We ask that you check the new discussions that you can find at the Group page, linked below. This discussion will not be closed/deleted, so you can still post and search for information in it.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Toyota Tundra Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • toyota_mantoyota_man Member Posts: 1
    Heres a bright idea, when you buy the car, listen to your finance manager when he offers you a 100,000 mile extended service contract for about 1700.00 It COVERS EVERYTHING, YOU PAY NOTHING. Dont bash the truck when you foolishly neglected to cover and protect your near $30,000 INVESTMENT.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You somehow feel that a 60000 Limit is not a Limit. It is. Why would you think otherwise? And if your tranny failed at 187000 would you still be PO'd?

'It didn't last to 250,000 mi like I wanted it to.'

Take heed of the poster above. The $1700 would have saved you $2-$3000 and covered everything else on the vehicle up to 100,000 at no cost to you. Penny-wise and pound foolish?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Good luck transferring your loyalty with Honda,GM Nissan Hyundai, and getting a guaranteed 200000 mi out of a tranny. Also good luck getting them to cover a 3400 transmission repair 20000 miles out of warranty. (Perhaps your mother owns a dealership)

Since most dealerships will screw you to the tune of about 2000 bucks for the extended warranty, you're down 1500 bucks. If you would have bot the 100000mi warranty, it would have waited for 103000 miles to breakdown anyway.

Try to get a tranny shop to quote you a price on a used transmission they can locate. They may be able to do it for $2000 or so and warranty it.

I put about $1500 into a used tranny for a $2500 Ford pickup I bought a few years previous with about 95000 mi on it. So don't feel so bad. At least your truck is worth something and pretty.

--jjf
  • apptunapptun Member Posts: 18
    Buying any extended warranty is a roll of the dice. You need to figure the cost of the warranty and the cost to finance the warranty. You also need to consider the earnings on the money in a money market, etc. if you are paying cash. The $1700 figure for full coverage to 100 K is unrealistic in my opinion. The Tundra is a reliable truck. I say set aside the money and see if it ever breaks down. I don't blame the guy for being angry about his tranny. I just would have taken it anywhere but the dealer if Toyota would not offer any help. My 93 pre Tacoma went 300K and I am hoping for the same from my 02 Tundra. Thanks
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Goodwill repairs (those made outside of warranty, whether it's 1 mile/1 day or 10,000 miles/years) are becoming less and less frequent. And that's for all brands. My family owned a dealership years back and it was fairly common if the service manager was friendly with the regional OEM rep to get all kinds of repairs performed at sometimes ridiculous miles/age (well over 100k on a domestic product). But now it seems the OEM's have tightened their belts and are refusing a ton of work.

I don't buy extended warranties. If my tranny busted out on my Toyota (or Dodge, or Chevy, etc.) and it was out of warranty I wouldn't EXPECT anyone to do anything. Granted, being exceptionally nice to the service writer can go a long way and if you're a good customer it would be somewhat obligatory for them to go to bat for you with the OEM to get at least some of the repair covered. Either way, if you have a bad attitude with the service manager, or he's just a complete (insert derogatory term here) then you're stuck. You can always try another dealer and see what happens.

Stuff happens. I know folks with well over 100k miles on oil-well service Tundras (off-road daily, hauling lots of weight) and I've heard of zero transmission problems. Some steering rack issues, but otherwise they've held up better than other trucks.
  • tsnooktsnook Member Posts: 18
    My dad's looking to get a Tundra, and I saw one on Ebay that seemed to be a pretty good deal. We went to test drive it (it was coincidentally in the same town of 9,000 people that we live in)and everything seemed great except for that the car shook while breaking. I've read enough to know that this is a cronic rotor problem, but is it a big enough problem to avoid this particular pickup, or the pickup line in general? We don't mind putting some money into getting these rotors replaced, but I'd hate for it to be a yearly ordeal. The pickup is in good condition and is a couple thousand under blue-book. Here's a link to the auction page with more information:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-TOYOTA-TUNDRA-2X4_W0QQitemZ300061164069QQihZ- 020QQcategoryZ39418QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any suggestions?
    I know some of the early Tundras had brake issues, but I was thinking it was '00-'01 models? You'll have to research that further, but if it's just run-out on the rotors it shouldn't be a big deal. Upgrading to better aftermarket rotors would likely eliminate any future problems. If these are the original rotors, it certainly wouldn't seem like a cronic problem as 125k miles on original rotors would be quite good. I'd ask the owner what he's done to the brakes in the past and that should tell you a lot.
  • avstar1k100avstar1k100 Member Posts: 2
  • urtundraexperturtundraexpert Member Posts: 20
    under that passenger seat is four weight sensing sensors. In the event some ranging 54 to 60 poundds and under the light will reflect off and viceversa. hope that helped. If not the key hole will be located almost touching the carpetunder the cup holders.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've got an 06 Tundra, a week and a half old, with a vibration in the rear end. It's been to the dealer once and they did something with the "road force", never heard of that. It's going back again this week. I'm thinking of switching the tires myself, front to back, and see if the vibration moves to the front. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what fixed it.

Awesome truck, but this is frustrating.
    Took the truck in today and they said they can't get the "road force" below 30 on 3 of the 4 tires, thus the vibration. Ideally it should be below 20. They tried to explain what "road force" is but it didn't click. Anyone know what that is?

They said they could upgrade the tires to Michelins and I would only have to pay for one. Oh boy. I told them NO. I shouldn't have to pay anything on a week and a half old truck with a vibration. If those tires are bad, then Toyota should pay for them.
    That pretty much sounds like a Toyota dealer. Road force is a type of balancing of the tires that does a better job. What size tires do you have? I've heard the 20's are really tough to balance. They may pawn you off onto a tire dealer for warranty work on the tires if they're defective. I have the 17's and it came with Dunlops that were garbage. Of course, there aren't many OEM tires that I keep long anyway. You might find that offer to upgrade to Michelins well worth it for such a low cost. When you find out you hate the OEM tires it will cost you a lot more than that.
    The tires are stock 17" BF Goodrich tires. I just think it's wrong to have a truck that is a week and a half old with a vibration and have to shell out a couple hundred bucks.
  • carb1776carb1776 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I have a 2002 2wd two door v6 Toyota Tundra.

I've only had the oil changed and one tune-up.

I can drive straight up a good size hill in Vermont without hesitation.

Knock on Wood, hope it stays trouble free.

Somewhere in Connecticut
    FYI....I struck out with the Toyota Assistance Center, a big waste of time. They did mention I could call the tire manufacturer and try.
  • kcm50kcm50 Member Posts: 2
    Had a similar problem with vibrations. Changed tires,got all four rebalanced and problem continued. I learned from the dealer that they must use a torque wrench on the lugs and not a air racket to tighten lugs. Hope this helps. I incurred several cracked studs using an air racket. Most tire places don't realize there is a special adapter on tire machines just for toyota.
    I tried the tire manufacturer, called the number listed in my warranty booklet, was on hold for 30 minutes then hung up. As a last resort, I sent a letter to the general manager of the dealership and finally got some results. He told me they would either refund the amount in full ($243.09) or set me up an account with a credit balance for $300 to be used for future service. I set up the account for future service. It pays to be persistent.
  • 07wildbill07wildbill Member Posts: 29
    boy! i'am glad i waited,watched and learned from other toyota owners experiences.thank you, thank you.this site has been a great asset for me.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    What no failed camshafts on the forum yet. Oh I forgot, its not a Toyota issue its a supplier issue. That makes sense, what a relief.
  • wolfkillrwolfkillr Member Posts: 8
    If i have a failed camshaft trust me you'l be the first one i tell. Now go back where ever you came from and sniveal unless you have some proven facts, that this was a major malfunction by toyota, and will cause a re-call.It seems to me this is what a car company should be doing, is catching a problem at the source!!Big deal 20-motors. I have yet to see a perfect truck, just like humans, they all have there flaws, some are just better than others."There is a principle which is a bar against all in formation,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance, that principle is contempt prior to investigation"- Herbert Spenser
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    20 engines is what Toyota is saying at this time but I am sure knowing Toyota's recent quality problems that this is only the tip of the iceberg. Toyota learned a real big lesson with the lies and denials over the engine sludge problems in which they ended up covering after owners threatened to sue in court. Having engine problems on a new engine is real bad news for a truck that is already struggling for buyers.
    If you have any weblinks supporting your claims, then by all means, post them. But coming in here spouting off about camshaft problems in Toyotas without any credible evidence backing them up and then comparing them to the oil sludge problem, well, you come across as someone with a vendeta against Toyota, not very credible.

And whether it's a supplier problem or not, doesn't change anything, it would still be a Toyota vehicle.
    more to come!
    get a ford diesel,it will yank those horses over hills & mountains,no problem.i would'nt experiment with a tundra,a friend of mine owns one.07tundra beds dents real easy.lot of complaints about vibration in the steering.do'nt gamble on a tundra! good for weekend recreational purposes.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    FORD Powerstroke Diesel is a known piece of crap. Down here we call the 6.0l engine POWERJOKE. The camshaft failure in a handful of Tundra is nothing compare to what many SuperDuty diesel oweners are going through.
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    Ok, here ya go.....

The NHTSA has just released the crash test results of the new 2007 Toyota Tundra and they are not as good as expected. Both the regular cab and crew cab versions of the truck only received four stars. Every other full-size truck has received five stars, including the recently released Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. This means that the likelihood of being injured in a frontal crash could be up to 10% higher in the Tundra than its domestic rivals. The main issue is that the Tundra does not ride on a full boxed frame like its competition. Instead it is a three part system with only the front part being fully boxed.
    This news comes right after Toyota has announced incentives on the Tundra. This news only gives the other truck makers another claim that their product is better.
    The new Toyota Tundra has had quite a few dings against it lately. First the truck failed to grab 5 stars in safety tests (two times), Toyota started to offer rebates on some of the configurations, and now there are camshaft quality issues.
    Reportedly there have been 20 Tundras equipped with the 5.7L V8 that have had their camshafts snap. Toyota says the problem has to do with one of their distributors. Luckily the problem was caught early, before it could affect a large number of the trucks.
    Toyota is trying to figure out how many of the trucks are affected out of the 30,000 engines that have been built, but they feel that it was an early batch of the engines. The automaker is confident in the current engines that are being produced.
    The automaker rushed the 5.7L V8 to the market before its original summer 2007 intro date due to pressure from dealers. Dealers and product planners felt that the 4.7L V8 would not make a large enough impact.

The weakest selling full size truck in America....that's changing everything, of course. Everyone knew the new Tundra would be a real winner, what with the reputation of the last Tundra, and the ill-fated T-100 before that. Aren't you glad you paid so much for one before it flopped?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Since you don't own the Tundra your opinion is irrelevant. Unlike FORD and GM where people will actually have to die before a product is recalled Toyota usually corrects their mistake very quickly and the Tundra will be no exception.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

This discussion is about owner experiences. It is not for anti-Toyota posts or other such agendas. Off-topic messages of this nature will be removed, and if they continue, posting privileges will be reviewed.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jcoukosjcoukos Member Posts: 8
    Have an '07 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4 with 1200 miles. Just did a highway trip keeping steady at 65 mph for 100+ miles and got 21.2 mpg with the air conditioning on. Beats my '05 Tacoma 4.0L which got 18.

Can't say enough about how much I enjoy driving this rig.
  • joewdunbarjoewdunbar Member Posts: 5
    I purchased an extra Tundra keyless entry remote fob that came with directions for programming it from a Toyota Technical Service bulletin (referenced below). After following the nine steps like inserting the key and closing and opening the door within 5 and 40 seconds, it fails to give the confirmation signal in step 10 critical to program the transmitter in step 11. Appreciate any advice for an 05 Tundra double cab limited.

Thanks,
    Joe
    joewdunbar@comcast.net

Re. Toyota Technical Service BULLETIN title: Programming OEM wireless door lock remote transmitters, dated July 19, 2002 http://www.geocities.com/toyota_speed2003/keyless_entry.html
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    The new Tundra is sweet. Never had any vehicle that was such a true pleasure to drive. That includes Saab, Lexus, & BMW!
  • mileskmilesk Member Posts: 2
    This thing ROCKS!!
    It is fast!
    It has towing power and guts like nobodys business.
    10,400 towing capacity for this model.
    The thing stops on a dime.
    I love the Sunroof!
    The 4 foot backseat in the Crew Cab is a dream for the passengers.
    The rear window that goes down is great when I need to haul some 2x4's the other day.
    Toyota thought of so many things to make this truck usable, and the best rolling office I have ever had!!
    I'm getting around 15.5 mpg which is less than the sticker said it would be. I'm mostly on the freeway for over 120+ miles each day!

I LOVE my Tundra... just took it in for a 5000 mile oil change and tire rotation... if you can afford one or in the market for a truck... Test drive this one... that's all it took for me!!
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    It is an amazing truck! It is not just fast, it is the fastest! I love smoking 1/2 tons on the way home. Can't wait to get out of the office and drive it!
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hey all, just thought I'd get your input on this.

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango R/T, which I've been very happy with over my two previous vehicles (A '99 Explorer and a '98 Sidekick). However, while taking my sister car shopping, I came across something I don't think I can pass up.

A 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited Access Cab 4x4, black with the tan leather interior, TRD package, and get this...only 27,481 miles, and is a local one owner. This is one that you just don't come across very often.

I was going to see what those of you who have older tundras have experienced as far as problems (which I'm sure aren't many), gas mileage, etc. I've considered a Tundra once before, but I passed on it because it was 2wd. This one is gorgeous, and it drew me in. I'm going to miss the extra room for passengers that my durango has, but I'm sure I won't be sad when I hit 80, 90, 100k miles and still going strong, whereas the durango will probably need a transmission by 75k, based on Dodge's history.

Let me know what you guys think, and I'm looking forward to joining the Tundra Club!

idntnvu
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Don't know about the new Tundras yet but the model your talkin about has had some problems. Make sure you do your research first. this is a good place to start:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tundra.html
  • apptunapptun Member Posts: 18
    I have an 02 Access Cab 4x4. I tow close to 6000 pounds on a regular basis. My truck had the ball joint recall and I received the extended warranty on the oxygen sensors from Toyota. I have an ongoing shake that can be felt in the console at highway speeds. Toyota regional guy could not fix it and declared it to be normal. With the exception of this problem the truck has been extremely dependable. It now has 70,000 miles. I get 16 mpg on the highway and about 10mpg when towing.The verdict is still out to see if it will be as dependable and long lived as my 93 pre tacoma but so far I have to give it at least a high B for a mid term grade. If you can buy this truck right it will more than likely serve you well. Thanks.
  • johnnytundrajohnnytundra Member Posts: 2
    I just used my tundra for the first 4 days. I am in the construction industry and required a 3/4 or half-ton for the job. I traded a 2001 3/4 silverado (company's truck) for a Black 07 TRD Tundra. I just put 1100 kilometers on it, it averaged 10.7 litres/100 kilometers which is about 22.0 MPG (US gal, not the 26.4 imperial). I basically gained about 120 miles of range per tank over that 3/4 ton (exact size match of tanks). I drove mostly highway miles at the limit to achieve that fuel mark, and it is very easy to turn 22.0 MPG to 16.0 MPG if you like to hammer the pedal. I love to drive fast, but making 160 extra bucks to take an extra 2 hours on the road was worth it. (The company pays a fuel rate that could almost cover a V10 triton's fuel bill).

As far as the truck itself, love it so far, but i am almost positive that the dampened tailgate (major favorite on the job site) is not going to make it in the long run. It was showing signs of wear after a few heavy loads. Time will tell I suppose, and hey its on warranty for 3 years. That and they advertised it being used as a work truck, and thats exactly what its going to do.

Next to the great gas mileage the truck *can* deliver, my second favorite thing was having 2 die hard ford fans I work with finding out that Toyota's puny little Tundra has more grunt than both of there super duties V10 triton's and has enough payload to more than cover general site work. In my years of experience, anything over 1000 lbs is going on a 5-ton flat deck with a HIAB crane, and most trailers coming to site are behind a Kenworth, not an F-250, not a tundra, or any other light duty pickup. That being said, I am working on 300 yard bridges, not new home construction.

Hope everyone else is having a good time with the new Tundras.....

Oh, one last thing, all the flag girls loved the truck and one of the die hard ford guys is going to test drive a tundra after i showed him the fuel reciepts for my trip.
  • ppisanoppisano Member Posts: 16
    Morning all, po430 code on a 03Tundra, Any best location where to look it up exactly for my vehicle??
    Thanks again. :)