Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• tinindianatinindiana Member Posts: 46
    I have read many of the posts and have learnd quite a bit. I am very interested in the Tundra and am trying to figure out which configuration is best for me. I don't own any trailers, boats, etc. which would need to be towed at the present time but when I get this truck I plan to keep it a long, long time. Should I save a few thousand dollars up front and go with a V6 2wd or just get the 4x4 V8 and that way if I need the extra capacity, I will have it available. Also, is there any reliability difference between a 2wd and a 4wd truck? Any input is appreciated.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    What part of indiana are you from? I take it from tinindiana that your from this wonderful state.

Ryan

Also my only input to you since i have a silverado is all full size pickups should have a V-8 thats my opinion.
  • toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    I have the 4X4 LTD TRD which only comes with V8 auto. My truck gets 15 mpg in town and 17 mpg on highway, (though I rarely go far enough to register 17 mpg, usually 16 mpg mixed), if you don't get 4X4 you should get about 1 mpg better with the V8. If you are planning on keeping your truck longer than the 5 year warranty period (drivetrain), as I am, you should get a truck you will enjoy over the long haul even if it costs a little more. The V6 is a very good engine but will only get about 1 or 2 mpg better than the V8, is it worth it? Higher RPM, much lower torque, if you go off road you will have to rev it up to climb anything or to haul a trailer. The V8 purrs, sounds like the TransAm in Smokey and the Bandit, though not as loud. This V8 is the Lexus 470 engine and it's a bargain in a low priced pickup.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Didn't know they existed anymore. Unless you consider $28K low priced... ;)
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Getting a V6 will save you money especially if you get a base like mind. However, some equipment that is optional on the V6 is standard on the V8 in the SR5 designation and the price difference is lower in comparsion. This all depends what equipment you want.

I average around 18.5 in mixed driving for the V6.

Having the V8 is nice, but not in my opinion for the extra cost of it. However, when I buy that 25 foot camping trailer, I may change my mind.
    Tundra V6 base MSRP 15,600
    Tundra SR5 V8 XCAB MSRP 23,000
    Tundra LTD V8 XCAB MSRP 29,000
    LandCruiser base MSRP 53,000
    Lexus 470 base MSRP 61,500

Toyota's V8, Equal to Cadillac's Northstar technically. $ 30,000 less than a LandCruiser.
    do you get floor mats, radio, and/or windows?
    It comes with standard windows!

This year Toyota even has added the rear bumper, but in return you lose the radio. Aftermarket radios are better anyway!
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Thought so...not many white V6 Tundras in our area. I was in my wife's car(with the wife, my two kids, and a neighbor's kid) having a wild saturday night...on our way to Lexington to eat. Want to take a guess as to what was on the menu?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Venison?

BTW, I've given up on Shania. Doesn't return my calls...never thanked me for the lingerie I sent her...How ungrateful!

Now...it's the Dixie Chicks for me!
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    Living single and having single friends who lives in apartments.. when one moves.. the guy with the truck is the first one to know about it.. helped a friend moved yesterday.. loaded down the truck.. had the biggest U-Haul trailer as well.. did just fine.. the ride was even smoother with the added weight.. didn't bother the gas mileage because I knew it was gonna be crappy!
  • needinfo2needinfo2 Member Posts: 4
    The time has come: the lease on my F150 5.4 4x4 is up, and I'm thinking about the Tundra. Main reason, we've had 6 prior Toyotas that didn't leak a drop of oil, the F150 in 4 times now and it still leaks. I have been averaging just over 15 mpg on the Ford, I would expect the Tundra with smaller engine and less weight to be higher. Is that true? I remember older posts that were still reporting just 15-16...
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Average city is @15 for the Tundra. Average hwy is @18 after the engine has a few thousand miles on it. So don't expect stellar gas mileage from the Tundra. I hear the silverado may get better mileage.
  • needa4x4needa4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a good internet deal on a Tundra. I keep hearing about 6K+ discounts off of list. I am looking for a dealer west of the Mississippi (I'm in Colorado). Thanks in advance for any help!
    with Xcab 4.6L Auto. His gas mileage is the same as my Tundra except he gets 1 mpg better on the highway, probably because he doesn't have 4X4 and I do. Of course I can out haul and outrun him pretty severely. To needa4X4 this Carson, California internet salesperson has a pretty good reputation on some boards.
    dianne@earthlink.net
    or http://carsontoyota.com
    Can we say Barbecue?

I am adding my new addition to the truck next week? Fog Lights!
  • rsharretts1rsharretts1 Member Posts: 1
    After researching the Tunda [vibration problems], the Silverado [chinsy interior controls, screeching and vibrations, the Ford Explorer and the Dodge Ram [forget it], how does one decide? I have a 91 Toyota 4WD SR5 with 160,000. It's been a great truck and the engine was rebuilt by Toyota for free with 120K because of a known gasket defect so I'm happy with Toyota but don't want an new expensive vibrating truck. Any suggestions? Wait another year or two?
    I haven't heard of any vib issues with the 2001 Tundra. But waiting till the end of the year to be sure would be cheap insurance.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Why don't you buy another Tacoma? If you need more room in the cab - take a look at the crew cab Tacoma (whatever its called).
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    T-dude wins the prize. However, Quad's answer was a good one. I've been hunting for about 2 weeks now(Chatham Co., t-dude) and the deer(does and small bucks) I've past up sure would be tasty right about now. I doubt I'll be choosy much longer.

Quad,
    Which "Chick"? Or, can you handle all three!!??
    My second guess was going to be wild turkey.
    I have an SR5 2WD Access Cab V8... good truck.. plastic skid plates.. booooo!
    I didn't know they had plastic on the 2wd. Doesn't sound like much of a skid plate, more like a vanity cover. ;)
    Place a torch on it......warps=metal...melts=plastic....LOL!!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    My 4X4 has a large, heavy guage steel plate under the engine and transmission. It also has plastic splash guards on either side of the skip plate by the wheel wells. Are you sure you aren't looking at the splash guards?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    plastic skid plates kinda defeat the purpose eh?

Ryan
    and increases mpg. also cheaper too. If they wanted light why not use kevlar.
    maybe it's plastic coating on metal. see post 402 for the test to be sure...
  • rayboy1rayboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for 2001 Tundra LTD Access.
    I'm in Southern New Jersey. Not really
    looking for any additional options,LTD
    comes with all I need. What would be a
    good price,invoice looks like $22358.
    Never done factory order, will dealers deal??
    how to handle a torch I would! ha!

but then again my mom would send me back to Dr. Fink and I'm gonna have to again talk about why I melt things.
    The best place for answers is found at; tundrasolutions.com
  • needa4x4needa4x4 Member Posts: 2
    A few deal exist for leftover 2000 Tundras. Have they fixed the "vibration problem" or would it be better to wait and pay ~1,000 more for a 2001.
    You face an instant $3500-4000 hit on depreciation if you buy a 2000. This would matter not a bit if you kept it 5 years. But if you got a vibrator and wanted to dump it, you lose big on the 2000. Be safe. Get the 2001 model.
    They are the same truck. Get the 2000 if you can save $3-4K. Warranty will cover the problem (if you have one - 1% chance)

OR

Wait for the 2002 model - when Toyota gets 25 more HP, 32 % more cab space, better MPG, rear seat that people can sit in, higher tow capacity, larger bed, locking rear end, autotrac and bow tie - no wait that is the 99 chevy. LOL
    Normally they wait 3 years then change, but you never know.
    You are right - should not expect any major changes to a new model for at least 3 years. Most companies make some small changes, maybe increase HP by 10 - or add a few new colors. Maybe change the location of the clock!! Which seems to be about the biggest complaint most Tundra owners have.
    is in awkward position! haha.. I should be thankful it has a clock.. my Tacoma didnt have a clock
    I agree! My last two trucks did not have one either. I love having the clock in any position on the truck.
  • tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    From a 10/12 AP story that Bridgestone/Firestone
    Inc. "tested a tire model made for two Toyota
    vehicles after small cracks were found on the
    sidewalls, but both companies said Thursday that
    the problems appear to be only cosmetic."

They said that the " Dueler HT 689 model, size
    P265/70R16, was standard equipment on some of
    Toyota's full-sized Tundra pickup trucks and its
    new 2001 Sequoia sport utility vehicle until last
    month when the cracks were discovered."
  • tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    "Toyota now refusing to use Bridgestone/Firestone
    tires after discovering cracks

Toyota has informed Bridgestone/Firestone that it
    will no longer accept tires that fall under the
    Bridgestone Dueler brand name after Toyota
    discovered "abnormal surface cracks"; in new tires
    that come as standard equipment on such models as
    the Toyota Tundra, according to CBS affiliate WWJ
    News Radio in Detroit, MI. Surface cracks, if they do appear on tires, do not usually show until the near the very end of a tires life. This newly discovered problem could also lend to the argument of safety advocacy groups that quality is still an issue at Bridgestone/Firestone."
  • plainwreckplainwreck Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2001 v8 access cab 4x4
    and I notice a vibration at about 45 mph
  • leon2001leon2001 Member Posts: 1
    I RECENTLY PURCHASED (5 DAYS AGO) A TUNDRA ACCESS CAB, 2 WHEEL DRIVE, SR5. THE DEALERSHIP MADE ME A FANTASTIC DEAL ON A 2001 THUNDER GREY METALLIC COLOR. THEY DID NOT QUESTION MY DESIRE TO HAVE THE EXISTING BRIDGESTONE TIRES SWAPPED WITH A UNIT THAT CAME WITH DUNLOP TIRES. THIS TRUCK FOR ITS SIZE IS SMOOTH, POWERFUL, CLASSEY AND HAS NO VIBRATIONS AT ANY SPEEDS. TRUE TOYOTA QUALITY. MY PRICE OUT THE DOOR WAS $24999 INCLUDING SR5, TOW, KEYLESS /ALARM ENTRY, FOG LAMPS, CD/AM FM, MATS,ALLOY WHEELS/265/16 TIRES. A GREAT DEAL ON A GREAT TRUCK WITH NON EXPLODING TIRES! MY WIFE LOVES IT TOO!
  • witundra1witundra1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 Tundra,4dr,4X4, SR5 a couple months ago. No problems, no vibrations at all at any speed. I looked at all the full size trucks and can honestly say they all are well built. It came down to a Chevy Silverado SL and the Tundra. Small differences between them made my choice the Toyota. I am a repeat Toyota owner and have been happy. Friends of mine own Chevy trucks and are happy as well. Other Tundra owners I have spoken with ALL claim NO problems.
    The tundra owners that I know seem to have more problems with their Toyota dealers than their truck. Don't know if its the same in your area.
    Obyone is a sicere Chevy Silverdo owner who is trying to help Tundra owners understand how bad off they really are!!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    If you're gonna' post the same message on different boards, try and use spell check on at least one of them.
    incurred when cutting and pasting without rereading what one has typed....LOL!!
    Ohhh Jeeez! I'm sooo humiliated by you chevy spelling bee weiners....er...winners.
    own a Chevy.....let's not get this mixed up.
    Your both posting in a topic named "Toyota Tundra Owners: rate your truck", even though neither of you own one. Can't get more mixed up than that!!!