Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Sky

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited October 2014 in Saturn
General Motors is busy developing new vehicles from its Kappa architecture -- and the first two convertibles from the new platform, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, are due out in the next two years. But GM is anxious to develop more vehicles from the same components, insiders say, and a third convertible and coupe spun from the same pieces could end up in Saab dealers. The Solstice/Sky roadsters, priced from about $20,000, would be joined by a two-door successor to the old Saab Sonett coupes of the 1970s, but with the addition of a roadster model. The Pontiac Solstice version, however, will be the first to emerge, entering production this year with an on-sale date of late fall expected.

Comments

• Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I have somewhat conflicting emotions on the Solstice/Sky pairing.

My original hope had been that the Saturn Kappa car would be a coupe. More a cousin than a sibling to the Solstice, if you will.

I really like the Sky styling however. Having Saturn carry a model may force the Pontiac dealers to keep markups fair. My real concern is that a lot of Solstices will not move off the lots this Summer unless the buyers are willing to pay over MSRP.

Saturn cannot do that with the Sky, owing to their no dicker sticker policy.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    At NAIAS 2004, though, the Saturn coupe concept didn't get nearly as much attention as the Chevy Nomad shooting brake and the Pontiac Solistice next to it.

Here's my pic from this year's show:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2132269877&amp- ;idx=10

The Solistice is a little cleaner, simpler. The Sky gets a lot of Opel cues, and matches the Aura nicely, though.

-juice
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I'm looking forward to the new Sky and Aura.
  • Options
    I heard $25k, actually. And Saturn sells at list price.

-juice
  • Options
    nhsjrnhsjr Member Posts: 15
    Read some articles abt SKY in some of the car mags. The SKY looks cool, better than the Pontiac. Sort of like a mini Corvette Conv. Will be interesting to see how much of it survives all the way to production, including its catchy name.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    This car would DOMINATE!

MUCH sexier than Solstice.

What mag has a preview? Here in Florida the mags come 2 weeks later.

DrFill
  • Options
    nhsjrnhsjr Member Posts: 15
    On the cover Feb.7 Autoweek. Blurbs etc in March issues of Road&Track, Automobile, and Motor Trend.
  • Options
    Check out the new euro Zafira, it would look good next to the Sky in showrooms.

-juice
  • Options
    dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    What kind of top will it have? Removeable hard?..
    I love the Sky/Solstice by the way... I would own one in a second.

Thanks.
  • Options
    outsane1outsane1 Member Posts: 1
    Well I went to the auto show to day and took a good look at the Sky and it looks even better in person than in the pictures. I also went and put my money down to get one of the first ones out. To my the best of my understanding I am the 5th person in MN to reserve one. So now I just need to sit and wait to see what the options will be. I cant wait.
  • Options
    duguiderduguider Member Posts: 1
    If you put your money down on the car, maybe they gave you some ballpark pricing information?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Pontiac already has 1000 deposits for Solstices? I wonder how many Skys (Skies?) have already been ordered.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    People love them. I love them. I want a Sky, and from what I gather it will be an '07, just a year before it's time for me to get a new toy! I mean, car.... :P
  • Options
    Solistice is delayed, they say October now instead of summer. Production glitches with the fit of the top.

-juice
  • Options
    BTW, this is another good reason to get the Sky later on, as the Solstice will DEFINITELY demo the ltest in GM product glitches.

The Sky will benefit from the Solstice test run, with stronger, more polished style as a bonus!

Early next year birthday present:

Tacoma V6 6-spd
    Cooper S
    Or Saturn Sky?

Decisions. Decisions.

DrFill
  • Options
    I'd say Sky. I dunno why, but it has a lot more appeal to me than a Mini, and I think that the Cooper is one of the cutest little boxes to hit pavement in years.

Anyway, is there a chance that GM will make a high performance version of the Sky and Solstice? Because that 2.4L is the same one in the Cobalt LT and there's a 200+ hp 2.4 in the SS Cobalt. I think that a supercharged Sky would make a great gift. I think I like the Saturn more than the Solstice, just because the Solstice looks too swoopy I just love two seat roadsters, and I'm glad they're coming back at less-than-Z4 pricing.
  • Options
    averagemanaverageman Member Posts: 1
    I hope for General Motors that the Solstice does not have too many glitches. The Solstice and Saturn Sky are not designed to be moneymakers for their respective companies. They're designed to be a "wow factor" vehicle that will get people talking about and into the showrooms of Pontiac and Saturn. If either one of these vehicles has a significant number of glitches and/or "fit and finish issues", that will be more bad news for General Motors. With the significant amount of financial losses and market share losses that this company is suffering, this company should be desperate to improve their reputation and product quality. I'm sure hoping that they succeed.
  • Options
    You can bet there will be hotter models a bit after launch.

-juice
  • Options
    jhend924jhend924 Member Posts: 1
    unfortunately there is no supercharged 2.4 in the cobalt or ion...its a 2.0 liter supercharged engine built by a foreign company in germany...however a sporty version would be awesome
  • Options
    timotheestimothees Member Posts: 1
    NEXT YEAR'S ION IS GOING TO HAVE THE 2.4 LITER ENGINE IN IT.
  • Options
    If they put a HEMI in it! It's still a sled :P !

DrFill
  • Options
    It's just all wrong, they need a clean sheet. Cobalt is a lot nicer...
  • Options
    pipefitterpipefitter Member Posts: 27
    Black Onyx, Polor White, Silver Graphite, Silver Pearl, Bluestone, Midnight Blue,
    Forest Green, Sunburst Yellow, and Chili Pepper Red.
  • Options
    I'll take my in Midnight blue then :)
  • Options
    lady300zlady300z Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have been a Nissan 300ZX owner since 1991, but if the Sky drives and performs as good as it looks, I'm sold. I drove the 350Z, not the same as the 300Z. In love with the looks of the Sky. :P
  • Options
    The Sky/Solstice does NOT have a spare tire or run flat tires. Only a tire sealant and inflator kit, how dum is that! :confuse:
  • Options
    Nowadays. The 2006 MX-5 won't have a spare either.

These are not the type of car you drive across the country.

Sunburst Yellow? You sure? That's *exactly* what Mazda calls their yellow. Wild.

First MX-5 rolled off the production line, let's see when GM gets their act together.

-juice
  • Options
    The names of the Sky exterior colors were e-mailed to me from Saturn.
  • Options
    Ok, that's just odd, though. :confuse:

On one side you might say they are copying Mazda a little too much.

On the other, they might be aiming directly at Mazda with a take-no-prisoners approach.

-juice
  • Options
    The MX-5! I don't know what Mazda was doing. Like they ran out of money of something.

I might get a used Integra to hold me over.

Silver is my color. Sexiest thing GM has even THOUGHT about making! It could have 3-cylinders!

DrFill
  • Options
    The new face resembles the original 1990 model. If you look closely the new headlights sort of look like the original's turn signals. So when the pop-up headlights were down, they actually look alike.

I happen to like it. But I also like the Sky and Solistice.

-juice
  • Options
    I liked the name Miata....
  • Options
    Dumb idea to drop the name. Mazda is trying to get people to say Mazda (insert model here) instead of just "Miata". They're hoping that if you have to call it an MX-5, that you will say Mazda MX-5.

It will fail. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you'll hav to if you have any hope of people understanding you. No-one will know what an MX-5 is. A very dumb idea.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    It gets its styling from the European Vauxhall VX220.

check the link

Vauxhall sports car
  • Options
    I'll post a link to it on Saturn's website.

New Saturn Sky
  • Options
    nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Does anyone know if the Sky will come in auto in the future? I really like the Sky better than the Solstice which I know will come in auto late in 2006. Thanks
  • Options
    it will. There are relatively few cars that don't have the option, really.
  • Options
    The Sky is due to hit the market on the first day of Spring 2006. It will have an automatic transmission available then. This is the same time frame that the Solstice with come out with an auto trans. I too like the Sky over the Solstice for style, but I can't use my GM card redemption allowance (up to $1000.00) at any Saturn dealer. So I'm looking at a Solstice in sly, cool, or aggressive with ebony cloth and an auto trans.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Solstice over the Saturn Sky but salute both companies for their effort. Great for business, these two.

The Sky may be a rig that looks more appealing in person than in pictures, eh? It looks like a cross between a mini-Viper, Vette and Miata. I can't wait to see both of these cars in person. Does anyone have a picture of them nose-to-nose for comparison?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    joe112joe112 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the sky's convertible top will be power operated or manually operated?
  • Options
    The Sky/Solstice cloth convertible tops are manually operated and stow away into the clam shell. The Sky top comes in either tan or black. The Pontiac Solstice only comes in black.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I think I like the Solstice better. Gotta see both in person to decide.
  • Options
    I guess the new Saturn Sky gets its styling from the Vauxhall VX Lightning concept which has some styling from the 2000 Vauxhall VX220. The Lightnight concept was shown in May 2003.

check the link

Vauxhall VX Lightning concept
  • Options
    My guess is $23k to start, $25k is what you'll see on most cars on lots. Solistice will come less equipped if you want a $20k model.

Next year, though, so the web site won't have much info until closer to the intro. You can preview one by looking at a Solistice though. Same engine and platform.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    I could do without all the cheesy chrome add ones. It would look cleaner without them.

GM has to realize you don't have to decorate a car like you do a cake. Remove that icing and it would actually look even better.

Not bad, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Those wheels on the Sky at the autos shows earlier this year didn't appear to be chrome like the ones on that red one.
  • Options
    saturnfan06saturnfan06 Member Posts: 1
    Love This Picture. Where Did U Get It From. I Think The Saturn Sky Looks Way Better Then The Pontiac Solstice. The Sky More Refined And The Solstice Is More Sporty But Pontiac Always And Will Be More Sport Vehicles. I Glad SATURN Is Finally Changing They Look More Refined Then Cheap. Like The Path They Are Going With This.
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Just asking.....but why do you capitalize every word?

Anyway, about your post, if you like the Sky, the you'll probably like the new Aura VUE and Outlook. I'm glad GM is injecting some life into this brand.
This discussion has been closed.