Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    If only Tundra owners posted there'd be like what; 2 or 3 people???
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    my humble opinion, that there would actually be two consistent posters to this topic....LMAO!!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Keep on LYAO...you still got a lot left to laugh off!! ;)
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    Ok I will rate my truck.. the one I am paying for.. on a scale of 1 to 10.. 9.99.. it runs on gas.. expensive gas.. it would be my perfect truck if it used water..
    did you read my profile...see my dream car
  • hddnqvhddnqv Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know why the Tundra's glove box doesn't have lock on it ?
    Same hydrocarbon compounds. Octane may be off by as much as 93 though...as rwell says...still LMAO!!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I did not notice lack of a lock. But I don't remember the last time I locked my glove box. Had a friend in high school - he kept his locked even when nothing of value was in it. Someone broke into his car - and because it was locked the jerks thought it must have something good in it. They took a crowbar to it. After that he did not lock it - because it did not have a door.
    I checked your profile before... I guess I forgot your dream car is something that ran on water...
    passenger side rear view mirror.. the housing is fixed on one position.. and I think the housing is angled too much towards the inside.. for me to get the perfect angle of the mirror.. I have to push it outwards to the point where I see the housing.. so I use about only 90% of the mirror.. I see the the reflection of the housing at the outer edge of the mirror..

man I confuse myself sometimes.. anybody understood what I said?! :o)
    but what can we do about it?
    I put on those fish eye angle mirrors.. stupid me I put it on the outer edge.. now I see even more of the housing!
    Have you tried the mirrors on the silverado? I hear from the chevy guys that they are much, much better! Did you drive the Silverado before buying the Tundra?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    The Tundra passenger side rear view mirror is already wide angle, so the use of a fish eye is redundant.

I have not noticed a problem with adjustment on mine. The mirror housing is designed to pivot in case of impact. It may be slightly knocked inward. I would grab the entire mirror housing and make sure that it is centered. There is a detent when it is correctly aligned.

Take the fisheye and put it on the driver's side. The driver's side mirror is not wide angle. The fisheye should go on the outside edge of the mirror for best effect. There is a good article in www.tundrasolutions.com which tells the correct way to align the mirrors.
    where ratboy3's head is positioned in the cab. Seen some guys lean on the center console and position their head towards the center of the cab. Is this the problem ratboy3? Of course, the opposite could be true as some lean on the door and drive....weird habits die hard.
    I tested the Chevy and the F150.. didnt have a chance to test the Dodge.. they were all very good.. came down to what I liked the most..

I do have the fisheye mirrors on both sides.. I will just reposition the one on the passenger side.. going to place it on the upper inside corner..

Yeah driving positione has something to do with how the mirror angles work..
    The gas cap door! It has no inside the cab release. You must take the key out of the ignition to unlock the door. If that wasn't bad enough - when you take the cap off, the holster on the gas cap door does not hold it very securely. This normally wouldn't be much of a problem, but it is difficult to pump gas without bumping the cap and making it fall out of the holster!

I am so upset about this problem that I am thinking of trading it for a Ford! LOL
    I don't blame you as it seems Toyota has been cutting corners on this and other issues. Maybe you could tie a string to it. Another option is to bend the holster for a better fit...LOL!! Screw the ford, wait for the full sized Nissan coming out and you can trade the Tundra for it. Don't forget to remove the bike rack tho.....
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Its obvious Toyota owners don't know what a HP/Torque curve is, if they did they wouldn't have bought a Tundra....
    Lets get this room started...
    How you Tundra boys liking those open rear diffs??
    Love that TRD package too!! Throw on some Bilsteins shocks and springs, a sticker and some larger offroad tires and wammo@! an extra 4K added to the price of the truck!!
  • rushfan2112rushfan2112 Member Posts: 27
    I can't seem to get my truck into 4WD LO. When I try to engage it, the indicator light comes on and it feels/sounds like it's engaging, but as soon as I go into drive, it goes back to 4WD HI. I must be doing something wrong. What is the correct sequence of steps to get into 4-LO?
  • justtheonejusttheone Member Posts: 403
    What is that mystery bout them factory hitchs on them limited ones? What is that factory hintin at? Ya can get ya a "sticker" for off roadin them ones, but ya cant get no factory hitch? Good luck on this one now?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Probably have to be stopped, gear lever in Neutral.
    I agree with Quad on something! This is a clear case of needing to RTFM (read the freaking* manual).

*Obscenity edited
    They be sharin that transfer-case with them tacomas now, maybe it got busted quick. Good luck on this one now!
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Welcome back justtheone. I see you have a new screen name. Get kicked off the site again? Anyway the open diff works just fine. The TRD progressive rate springs, Bilstein shocks, fender flares and 16 inch Goodrich tires also work great. 4 grand? Who you kidding. And as I've said before, I have a 2000 Limited 4x4 with a factory Class IV hitch. The 2001 models also have them, so the factory "ain't hintin" at anything. For anyone approaching 100K miles on a Chevy, talk to my Chevy dealer mechanic friend. He'll be more than happy to replace those bearings and fried clutches in the rearend, for a hefty fee of course.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Glad I'm not approaching 100,000 miles on my S10. Already passed 120,000 this month so it must be okay!

Hey Rube, Dogster is the one who sold his T100 for something like $20,000 to a guy who just "loves" it. (I bet he's croaked by now!) Anyway, I digress, because my point is Dogster didn't keep his T100 very long. So it's ironic he comments about 100K on a Chevy. He must be one of those yuppies chasin' the fad you refer to!
    So you and Libby(Justheone) are tweedledumb and tweedledumber now? The new Chevy tag team. I was wondering why Quad was finishing his posts "Good Luck on this one now". You two can figure out which is which.

With their level of intellingence it is easy to see why they own Chevies.
    Ya cant get no factory hitch on that limited one, and thats the fact on that:

DH Towing Receiver Hitch
    NOT AVAILABLE with XH60, 9Z

Got that tell off of this edmunds site now. Facts is facts. What say too this one now? Good luck on this one now!
    When them t100 ones lose that shine, off them ones go, chasin after the next shiny one for sure. Kinda hard too be sayin how long them ones lastin, as folks done tradin em out quick, for the next shiny one for sure. All ya can do is use them eyes and look about. How many of them forien ones do ya see on the road now? Where is all them t100 and hi-lux ones gone? They all used up, thats where. So much for that quailty myth on them forien ones lastin. Yet, them big3 ones go on and on, folks still workin em hard, day in and out. Them that works em keeps em. Them yuppies, chasin that shine, aint got the knowin on how long them forien ones be lastin. Facts is facts. Use your eyes on this one. Good luck on this one now!
  • rjeffrjeff Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody with a 4x4 changed their own oil/filter? If so, did you have to drop the front skid plate, or were you able to change the filter from above?
    Yes, I have a 4X4 SR5 and I have changed my oil/filter. I chose to drop the skidplate. It involves removing the two splashguards on each side of the skidplate. Then completely remove all of the bolts holding the skidplate on except for 1 bolt in the rear of the plate (there are 2). Hold the skidplate up with one hand and remove the remaining bolt. Slowly lower the back of the skidplate and slide the front of the plate out of the bracket that it pivots on. Be careful - it's heavy. Installation is the reverse of removal. Other than the plate being heavy - it is a piece of cake.

I have heard of people cutting off the bottom part of a 2 liter pop bottle and using it to catch the oil that drips when you remove the filter. I have not tried this method. The oil plug is easy to remove with the skidplate in place. The factory filter is really torqued on there, so you will need a good oil filter wrench.

If you use the pop bottle method, let me know how it works out.

You can also check www.tundrasolutions.com They have a good search engine - just search for "oil change" Good Luck.
    Your kidding yourself if you feel an open axle is better than a limited slip..... Ford/Dodge/Chevy offer both an LSD and a locker for their fullsize trucks.
    You paid more for that TRD sticker, hope you like it....
    Funny how they be chasin after them "stickers" on them ones, but aint got no worry on that hitch. Them big3 ones be offerin lockers and such, but that tundra be offerin that sticker. What is that factory hintin at here? Good luck on this one now!
    You can now get a factory hitch on the 2001 limited. I think I have Toyota figured out:

2001 - Factory hitch
    2002 - Locker option
    2003 - give buyer a choice in rear differentials
    2004 - offer choice of 2 V8 engines
    2005 - Autotrac like option
    2006 - redesign of truck includes a rear seat sized for humans

By 2006 they will almost be caught up with the 1999 Chevy Silverado - of course this truck will cost $55,000.
    But when they goin offer a real "full size" one, instead of "Da Runt" one? Good luck on this one now!
    Your truck only gets 19mpg highway? The last highway trip I took in my V8 Extended cab 4X4 Tundra I got 19.5 mpg. I was going 75 to 80mph most of the trip and it included a 3000 ft climb. Needless to say I am thrilled with the mileage of my Tundra.
    Lets see now, what size V8 did the Chevy have in it? .5 MPG.... means that much. Lets see the HP/Torque curves on the two engines. Toyota fans don't like HP/Torque curves, deflates the ego a bit.... LOL!
    They aint got no hitchs and the pumpkins be open now. They aint "full size" either, yet them big3 ones be gettin better mileage than them ones. Guessin that fancy engine on them limited ones aint all that after all. So much for that myth on them ones now. Good luck on this one now!
    I said over 19, actually it was 19.6 - I had 3 days worth of camping gear - even a bike rack with two bikes. The trip was 400 miles and included 70 miles of Houston traffic, and 3 days of short trips between the lake and our camp site. I did take it easy on the trip to the lake - traffic was light at 4:00 AM and did not need the a/c, the trip home was bumper to bumper combat, a/c on. The average speed for the trip was 48 mph, which includes several hours at 75- 80 mph and several hours stuck it slow traffic. I would guess a pure highway trip with no load at 75 MPH I would get well over 20.

Glad you get good MPG out of your Tundra, I think it is a little better than the Dakota (the only other true mid-size) it would be a real disappointment to have only 245 HP and still get poor mileage.

Again I have nothing against the Tundra or Toyota - if they ever build a full size truck or if my needs/wants change and allow a mid-size or compact truck - I would give Toyota a shot at my business. Maybe by 2006 Toyota will grow up and be competitive.
    I know that you are really proud of that luxurious back seat that your truck has. I'm happy for you.

For me, the size of the back seat was not that big of a deal. I needed a truck - not an SUV. I have not had any complaints from any of my passengers. If they don't like my wheels, they can walk.(The ingrates!)

I considered all full size trucks before buying my Tundra. I drove a Chevy but it had lots of wind and road noise - numerous rattles, clunks and other noises and it was somewhat sluggish off of the line. Once rolling it was fine - but it seemed to have no grunt down low. I like vehicles that have a lot of low end torque. The Tundra even though it is a smaller engine had much more low end torque. Drive one - you'll see.

The salesman told me the rattles, clunks and wind noise were normal - "They all do that." I also did not like the cheesy plastic interior - cheap looking. It did have a nice back seat though.

Here are my reasons for choosing the Tundra:

1) I did not like the styling of the Chevy. If I wanted a pickup with 3 box, '70s styling - I would buy a '70s truck - not a new one. In the Chevies case a '70s truck would be higher quality and more reliable.

2) I did not like the fact that Chevy was ranked 26th in initial quality by J.D. Powers. If I wanted a truck with Hyundai quality - I would want to pay Hyundai prices. I think the Chevy is probably worth about 15 - 20K to me. It must be worth more to you - you paid it.

3) Consumer reports is already ranking the '99 Silverado as a used vehicle to avoid. The ranked the 2000 as -90% predicted reliability - off of their charts. They ranked the 4WD even worse if that is possible.

4) The engine in the Tundra has been in production for 9 years. It is out of the Landcruiser - a proven bulletproof vehicle.

The Silverado was a first year engine - and we all know Chevies track record with new designs. Chevy saves money by trying out their new designs on the unsuspecting truck buyer. Their engines were redesigned after two full years of production to stop knocking when cold due to excessive main bearing clearances. Typical Chevy lack of quality.

5) The Tundra front seats had more room and felt more comfortable (I have captains chairs - highly recommended). I sit in the front seats - not the back.

6) Toyotas reputation for quality. The Tundra won the J.D. Powers award for initial quality in full size pickups. This was in their first year of production. The '96 Toyota T100 won J.D Powers 2000 award for most dependable full size pickup. This was the result of a 5 year study. Quite a contrast with Chevy.

I have nothing against Chevy - if they ever build a full size truck with Toyota levels of quality and reliability - I might consider one. Judging by the current Silverados they ought to have all of the major bugs worked out in 4 or 5 years. They are heavily bracing the flimsy frame this year. Maybe they can get it to run without knocking on regular gas next year. Of course, by they will then come out with a new model even worse than the current one.

Maybe Chevy will continue on their current course and go bankrupt or be bought out by Toyota in a few years. That would be nothing but good for the quality of their trucks. I hope this doesn't happen because then we would be talking of Ford being the only domestic auto maker left. That would be a shame.

There is only so far that Chevy can string along their zealots. Todays truck buyers do not expect business as usual. They expect quality. They don't want to become intimately familiar with the service department of their local Chevy dealer.

Good Luck with your Silverado. If it were me - I would sell it quick before the word gets out about the consumer reports rating. That can't be good for your resale. Maybe some sap will buy it because it has a big back seat.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Its getting deep in here!
    Good luck on this one now!
    Well I guess about the only thing we agree on is the bike rack!! Maybe you tested a bad chevy, I am happy with the performance of mine. Pulling from a stop light today - up ahead about 1/4 block the lanes went from 3 down to 2. The guy in the next lane in his Lexus SC thought he would cut me off. I hammered the gas - not only burns rubber in 1st but also got a good squeal when I hit second gear. The locker kicked in and the Lexus was in my rear view. Does the Lexus have a limited slip or was all that squealing coming from just one tire? The Lexus finally did catch up - I let off at 50MPH - and let him - he looked a little bit embarrassed. AS he went by I noticed it was the SC400 - I assumed it would be an SC300. But then who knows maybe he had 2,000 pounds of golf clubs in his trunk.
    If you were planning on writing a Masters dissertation, you could hide it as it is excessively long with a couple of repetitions.

Quote “1) I did not like the styling of the Chevy. If I wanted a pickup with 3 box, '70s styling - I would buy a '70s truck - not a new one. In the Chevies case a '70s truck would be higher quality and more reliable.”

I guess you no longer wear Angel flight pants and tie dyed tshirts. LOL!!
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    When I changed my oil in my Tundra, I used plastic grocery bags (brought home in the Chevy of course) to catch the oil and filter. Just take about 3 and put them inside each other and then put them around the entire oil filter, then twist it off. I didn't spill a drop.
  • dman9dman9 Member Posts: 4
    I only got 16mpg on my first tank with my 2wd tundra. do you really get ~19mpg? What should I look at if this continues? Did anyone else get the "metallic" color. It was raining when I bought the truck and I thought it was grey, now it looks like there is a hint of purple in the truck, who the f would buy a purple truck? I'm thinking of painting it already!
    bama, you just blew it! Its obvious you know nothing about trucks or hp/torque curves. The Tundra doesn't have more low end torque than a Ford/Dodge/Chevy. But, I find this with most Toyota owners, they look at one thing only, HP.
    Tundra doesn't even have an LSD! Keep telling yourself the backseats don't matter, maybe they will get bigger.. they do matter, they are uncomforable.
  • dman9dman9 Member Posts: 4
    did anyone else get the cd/tape package? CDs that don't skip in my crappy cd player in my Acura, skip in this player.
    Good luck on this one now!