Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 SportCombi

Comments

• saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    The answer to that is question is NO.The Saab I.D.S. program can not be combined with ANY other incentives.
  • gmroygmroy Member Posts: 30
    Your car sounds really cool! I didn't know they had 2.0 sportscombi. Is that the all wheel drive one? What color did you get?
  • chris47chris47 Member Posts: 25
    Yep - the 2.0 is at least $5K cheaper than the Aero right now and still has the same 210hp engine as last year's Aero. Ton of power with the manual trans. I do wish we could have had the sport seats like the Aero.

I asked the dealer if he had any Aero's on the way. He said they had one sedan in and a few more coming. Sounds like it may be hard to find an Aero wagon for a few months.

We got fusion blue with parchment (beige)interior. The car really looks great - lots of compliments and yet to see another one on the road.

It's still front wheel drive. We looked at some other all wheel drive cars but with the Saab traction and stability controls, didn't think it would make a big difference in the New Jersey winter.

Overall it is a great deal for the $28k we paid (moonroof and cold weather options).
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Did any of you drive both hard? Have comments on the handling difference?
    We both test drove a 2.0T Sedan pretty hard(no Sport Combi w/manual to test at dealership). To the best I can remember, the wagon we bought feels exactly the same - there is a week gap in there. It really does not feel like a wagon! No looseness in the body or handling quirks at all.

I did not bother driving an Aero as it was more than we wanted to spend.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Darn. Otherwise it could be one heck of a deal
    Sounds really nice! I am so glad to hear the parchment is beige! I have had silver leather for ever and sick of it. On the color samples the Fusion and the Nacturn look the same so I can't tell what the color is really going to look like until I see one which is driving me nuts! To a women color is everything. Got to have those options moonroof cold weather package it's a must in my book. Wi weather can be nasty. I drive a big chevy convertion van now with a big v8 that can blow the doors off about anything thing. Her name is Big Burtha and she has a tude. She is loaded tv 2 stereo systems cd players vcr all leather. She did her job when we had 4 kids and all their friends at home. We also pulled a 31 foot RV. Kids gone RV gone. Mom on her own because husband works all the time just don't need old Burtha any more. Plus it costs an arm and a leg to fill her up. We paid Upper 30's for her 5 years ago she was 40. Burtha needs to live with a family that needs her. I need fast fun and hot sporty! Your new car sounds so nice I can't wait to get mine! My husband is making me wait until after the 1st of the year to see what deals come up. :mad: I am NOT a waiter! I don't do it well at all! I want what I want and now! Gees I sound like my kids now!LOL
    Fusion is a lighter and brighter shade of blue. The Nocturne is darker with a little grey in it.

Go to www.saabusa.com - select the SportCombi and click on "build your own" to see colors.
    I do that all day long LOL but is it true to the colos in real life? Like when you see them on the street?
    I guess that depends how good your computer monitor is. It's hard to judge metallic paint until you see it on the car. Even then, the cars look totally different in the sun versus the shade.
    Well it's a pretty good monitor but I don't think you get the real color on anything until you see it up close in day light.
    OK here it is the cold hard truth! :cry: I was so happy when the dealer called me last night and said they got a Sports Combi in in Fusion Blue I cried. We got up at the crack of dawn to be to the dealer by opening. I spotted it right away! A beautiful car! Much nicer looking and different then the net or book. The color was prettier then I thought it would be and very much different then in the book or on the net. The Nocturn Blue was more a Navy and the Fusion was more a Grey Blue. I sat in it and here it is! Not even close to a caddy! Sorry but true. It was comfy but not what I was expecting. The car rode a bit rough but was a nice drive. Over all it was WAY TOO SMALL!!!!!! I would of bought it for the neatO cup holder that comes out at the push of a botton but for the 36G's he quoted me (after GM dicount) I felt it wasn't worth it. This was the Aero. Sorry All! Believe me I am SOOOOOOO disappointed!!! I researched this car for days hours and weeks! It might be a great car for someone else but just not for me. I am now back to the Chevy Maxx that has nothing I want on it but it's roomy and rides nice. It looks pretty hot too! Plus it's cheep! Thanks for all your help everyone. Sue
    Well Saabs typically aren't geared for comfort, as some Lexus, Mercedes and Cadillac models are.

A Saab is one of those cars where you either like it or you don't. I happen to like it because its a nice blend between comfort, performance, and economy, but I don't drive one because I need something reliable with not a lot of depreciation. (although I would have done some hunting for a new 2004 9-5 if I knew they were still out there)

The 9-3 actually shares a platform with the Malibu (GM Epsilon) but its tuned differently.

Good luck with your car shopping. Perhaps you can try a 9-5 SportCombi. It's the last "genuine" new Saab out there, but it will cost you more than a 9-3, and it'll be running on a turbo four cylinder.
    I agree that the ride is a bit harsh--but it's almost too big for me.

Also, the price doesn't sound that great? Are you sure that's the legitimate GM price? Also, an arc would be cheaper and have a softer ride.

dave
    Different strokes.

My wife is turning in a company car - a Chevy Impala - at the end of the month that we are replacing with a SportCombi. While I'll miss the free gas, I will not miss the vague floaty handling, the automatic transmission that can't deiced what gear it wants, the undersized brakes, or the pathetically weak motor.

I hope GM keeps Saab independent because I'm never buying something like that with my own money.
    OK jchan2 No doubt the Sportscombi is a nice blend. It's a great little car over all but not what I thought it would be. Even though my husband tried to tell me what a sports car was like and I refused to listen as always. He knew what to expect I didn't and wasn't about to hear it either. If I were single and had money to burn ya I'd buy it. It was the only car I found that had everything I wanted except comfort. I'm not interested in the 9.5 wagon it's just not me and the price is way too much! The Malibu Maxx and Sportscombi look a lot alike but the rear leg room is a lot more in the Maxx. How do you mean they are tuned differently remember I'm a women so put it in womens terms please. The Maxx LTZ has everything on it I want expect all leather (Only part leather ick!) and it doesn't have the neatO shifter and the bigger V6 I want. And Thanks jc! Dave, LOL maybe I should look into arc's huh??LOL At this point it might not be a bad idea!LOL Ya the price is legit they are a caddy/saab dealer. Chris, I rented a Impala in Newfoundland last summer and I loved it! I didn't think it was floaty in the handling and it had great pick up! Thats what got me going on a new car. After I drove that I thought wow I need a new car! You may love the new combi but I need room and function plus I want a fun driving car because I love to go to the ocean and drive fast up the cost!LOL I come from a racing family so I have a little lead in my right foot. I drove the Maxx and it was very nice but the seats are not like a caddy I'll say that. The Maxx has a lot of back leg room and a big area to haul my junk. It sits up higher and the doors are big so you can get in and out really easy. I think it will be a better match all the way around.
    The Malibu is tuned a little more Camry ish (softer, quieter ride) and the 9-3 is tuned more as a sports sedan,(think Acura TSX, but I don't know for sure since I haven't driven one) although the 2.0T (the former name for this trimline is the Arc) has a softer ride than the Aero, which is supposed to be the ultimate sport version.

I would drive both the Malibu Maxx and the 9-3 2.0T. The 2.0T model costs less and has a softer ride than the Aero.

Have fun test driving :)
    NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A CADDY????!!!! Doh!! No kidding!!! Where in the H... Did that come from?
    Thanks jc I understand now. Oh I thought he meant Noah type.LOL See how much I know?LOL Here I was going to go buy an arc!LOL I thought that was really funny!LMBO I think I'm pretty much done test driving. Now to order what I want but waiting to see what the new year brings in deals. saablcp, Boy someone has a bit of a cranky bug tonight! I was looking at Caddy's because I use to have one. I just went and test drove one a few weeks ago and it was very comfy. I thought the saab sportscombi may be close because it is such a well made car and in my many years with sitting on leather I found that every car or van I had with leather was very comfy. So now go get some much needed rest. ;)
    Which car was your favorite among your test drives?
    Out of the three the Caddy STS, Malibu Maxx, Saab Sports Combi I would have to say the Caddy but I'm not sure how fair that is to the Saab becaue when I dove the Saab I had the dealer guy with me. I was driving in a big city trying not to crack it up because he made me nervous. So it really wasn't a fair test drive ya know? My husband thought it was a rough ride. I think the Maxx is much rougher and more uncomfy. The caddy is too much $ and not good in snow, The Saab I love but is too small and he gave me a price that was too high because I figured it out at home and came up different. The Maxx has nothing on it. I hear the breaks don't work and it handles bad. But roomy wise and looks and price wise it's great! I plan to buy the Maxx SS. Hey jc have you heard anything about the breaks on it? Are they going to make them better so you can stop in time? What about the handling? Know anything about this stuff? Thanks! Sue
    Now I lay me down to sleep...etc,etc,and please Lord keep this Lady out of my showroom Thank you!...LOL! and by the way cars come equipped with Brakes not Breaks.
    Oh don't worry I wouldn't give you my business any way. I'd go to a mature dealer. And big deal so I misspelled a word. I do it all the time. I don't sleep well either and half the time my brain is on over so I don't think as clearly as I should. If I were you I'd learn in a hurry how not to sweat the small stuff. Oh heads up another thing I do often is hit the a s or d key instead of the one I should hit. Or my s key sticks a lot of time so a word that should have an s doesn't. If you ever get sick of selling cars I'll hire you to proof read my emails before I send them ok. ;)
    lets try to keep things civil here :)

I haven't driven a 9-3, so I wouldn't know how they handle or brake. From what I've read they're pretty good though, but you might want to double check with an extended test drive.
    I was talking about the brakes and handling on the Maxx. I thought maybe you heard how they were or something.
    Well just to lighten the load a little I did put a "lol" on the end of my statement.Here's the background on my response.This is the era of easily accessible info regarding any vehicle via the internet.The dimensions listed for the car vs something like a Cadillac should allow anyone to draw a reasonable conclusion regarding the relative passenger space,plus the car is E.P.A rated as a compact car.That rating is based entirely on combined passenger compartment/trunk cubic footage and is done for purposes of comparison.One of the main jobs of any sales professional in any field is to try and bring the clients needs to a primary focus.In this case we have a woman comparing a full size luxury sedan,the Cadillac STS,pricing anywhere from $45 to $65K.,to a compact sportwagon,9-3 Aero Sport-Combi,pricing $32 to $38K,to a compact hatch,Chevrolet Malibu Maxx,pricing $18-25K!!This will send any salesman running for the mens room!And believe me,in todays market All successful sales reps.deal with Women as equal partners,I never "put things in womens terms",and quite frankly would immediately feel out of my element trying to help a woman who wanted to be treated in that fashion.Ultimately,I hope this lady finds SOMETHING that fills her needs.I also would not be surprised if she is still involved in this process 6 months from now(been there,seen that).
    A malibu max ss is 24,690. A 9-3 arc with automatic is 28,970. To me, there's 4K of added value with the saab: better handling/braking, better safety, nicer interior(seats/etc) and of course free service for 3 years. Also, the maxx gets 18/26 mpg while he saab is 22/32. The maxx also doesn't have stability control which i think is a crucial safety feature. And, of course, if you want it for 2-3 years only, the best financial choise might be to lease a saab. $299/mo for an arc with automatic now. My saab dealer sent me an ad for $199/mo, but I don't know the details.

Of course, if it's too small, and rides too rough, you won't be happy, so there's no point. But just putting a bug in yer ear that it might be worth a second look.

dave
  • geohgeoh Member Posts: 2
    Guess my dealer is ripping me off! dave can lease fopr 299!
    My 36 mo, lease on 9-5 wagon has two payments remain. They "offered" New and loaded 9-3 sport combi (the new wagon) for 36 mo. lease, 15K miles/year, prepay my two payments, they prepay my $350 disp. fee, and write lease for $464.00 per MONTH!!! Outrageous - compared to the last post at 299 or 199.
    I was mailed an ad for the 9-7 for $359 pert month lease: the killer is 10K miles and 24 month lease. I ask myself where is benefit of 9-3 combi at that price?
  • geohgeoh Member Posts: 2
    I'd rather go to a VOLVO XC 70 advertised lease of 10K, 24 mo., $419 pr mo. I know that changing up to 15K and 36 mo will change payment.
    geoh, the $299 lease isn't "me" it's posted on the saabusa web page. I bet if you show it to your dealer they will "give it to you". If not, you can find a dealer that will.

Also, i misspoke, the combi is $319 a month. And, their lease is $2,499 down, 12K miles a year, and 24 months, and there is a $350 disposition fee. Also, the advertised lease doesn't include taxes, and your probably does.

So, i didn't crunch the numbers, but if the 9-3 combi you are talking about is well-equipped, and is $0 down and $0 disposition fee, the offer may not really be that bad.

My local volvo dealer is also offering an s40i for $199/mo. However, i think a 9-3 for $199 a month is a much better deal. The 9-3 has leather, stability control, and a much better engine than volvo's non-turbo i-5.

An audi 2.0T can be had for $0 down ($900 due at lease signing) and $349/mo. Of course, that's without tax as well. But, it is a pretty darn nice car.

dave
    I know you are right Dave I really need to take another look. I am so confused! :confuse: Over the years I have had many cars. My first car was new and bought by my folks. I then had many used cars before I got a new car again. Every new car I had was bought and picked out by my folks, ex husband or my husband I am married to now. This is the first car that I have had the opportunity to research and pick out myself with no outside help from family. It is driving me NUTS!!!!! I thought the Saab was everything I wanted and I still do except I don't like how small it feels compared to the Maxx. The Maxx has nothing on it and I am afraid it won't handle good which is really important to me. I hate the price the dealer gave me on the Saab it was way off what I thought it would be.
    is to drive both the Malibu Maxx and the 9-3 SportCombi back to back, one right after the other on the same day.

If you don't like the Saab dealer you'r working with now, find a different one. If that's the only one in your area, buy your Saab in a different area. Just take your test drive down at the local dealership and do some poking around Edmunds.

Good luck, and Have Fun!
    Don't feeb bad gmroy. When i was car shopping last time i took the better part of a year! I drove a bunch of car dealers nuts going back over and over again. I ended up buying a BMW and ended up glad i did, so i'm happy i took all that time. I'm also glad the BMW has been a tank, 109K mikes and just a few small cheap repairs, because i'd hate to go through the shopping process again! I'd probably waste six months shopping again!

dave
    Thats a very good idea jc if I drive them back to back it doesn't give me time in between to forget how one or the other felt to drive. I will do that and I also will check out the other dealer I talked to a while back that was suppose to call me when the 9.3 came in and I think it has by now and he never called but I'll give him a try any way. I have poked around every site you can name!LOL I read a 100 different things on both cars so who do you believe?LOL
    Thanks for making me feel better Dave! I thought I was taking too long in choosing.LOL I guess I got some time yet huh?LOL I think I'm driving every one nuts!LOL You and jc are the only ones that have been patient and understanding not to mention very very helpful. Thanks! I went to bed crying the other night. My husband said would you relax it's just a car! I said ya but you don't understand! I'm old and he is about to retire this might be my last car I ever get I want it to be a good one that I really love driving. So ya it might be just a car to him but to me it's everything and I want it to be right.
    Darn--you definitely shouldn't cry over a car, gmroy! Your husband is right, it's just a car. You should repeat to youself:

It's just a silly car.
    If i hate it i can trade it for another one.

The key thing is, get what you like, because you need to be happy with it. I think the 9-3 is a cool car but that doesn't mean it's right for you. Because i think it's neat i encouraged you to try it again, but maybe i should keep my big fat mouth shut.

My grandmother through marriage just traded her '91 caddy for a 2 years old one, and i would have encouraged her to buy something else, not just because i don't like the caddy that much but because i think it's not the right car for her, and i also think she got ripped off by the dealer. But, she didn't ask me, and she's the one who has to drive it everyday, and she's happy with her car, so why should i make her unhappy?

Maybe whatever you do you should see if you can get it on a lease or a "smartbuy". This way you can tell yourself "if i realize i made a mistake, i can back out in three years" and if you like it you can buy it out at the end just as if you were financing. Might help you sleep better, just to think you have a way out. Of course, this won't work if you were planning on buying cash.

Just an idea from one over-shopper to another. As i said, i want my car to keep me happy for a few more years so i don't have to go through this again. If i had to buy today, i'd try to make myself look at just a bmw 330i, a 9-3 aero, and a volvo s60R.
    NO don't keep your big mouth shut you have good ideas and oppions that I use! The thing is I know once I get it my husband will make me drive the wheels off of it before I trade it in. I'm not sure leasing would be a good idea because I put a lot of mile on a year and it would end up being a fortune before I was done with it. I'm with Grandma I love those big ol caddy's but they are bad in snow so for me it just don't work. It's really a blessing to have people like you to chat with because you do have good ideas that I would never think of in a million years. I'll try repeating "It's just a silly car" but it won't help I'm just a wreck over this thing!LOL
    If you have to drive it for a loooong time, i understand the increased angst. :)

I imagine the saab will cost somewhat more than the malibu to service as it gets older, though all cars are most costly nowadays than they used to be. You can get a 7 year 100K warranty on either, probably worth thinking about if only for peace of mind.
    cry over a car- like your husband said- its just a car, and if you don't like it, trade it.

I typically spend about 5-6 months researching soft data (online reviews, message boards, etc) and about 2 weeks test driving. But that's just me.

If I were you, I'd try the new BMW 3-Series Sportwagons, the A4 Avant, 9-3 SportCombi, and Volvo V70. Life's short. Buy something you like driving. Don't buy a car just because you can get a discount- A bad car with a discount is still a bad car.

A good car with no discount is still a good car.

A good car with a discount would be the best possible situation :) (like my Infiniti)

Winter break is a great time to do some back to back driving. I'd pick out a day, and set up various appointments like this:
    8AM- BMW dealer
    10AM- Saab dealer
    1PM- Volvo Dealer
    3PM- Audi dealer
    5PM- Chevy dealer
    7PM- Final test drive of the Saab to compare it wit the Chevy
    Those are some great cars yu mentioned, but i think GMROY wants a GM car specifically, because they're paying the bills.

Sounds like a good reason to me! :)

dave
    Well then she's got a simple schedule.
    8AM- Saab dealer
    10AM- Chevy dealer
    2PM- Saab dealer
    4PM- Chevy Dealer

I'd set aside a day to just shop shop shop and drive sales people crazy.
  • kalamazookalamazoo Member Posts: 18
    Don't be a fool!(LOL)Doesn't always work does it? I too am a woman named Sue who is also looking for a new car. I have purchased over 30 since 1990 ranging from a BMW M to a Miata to an Audi A6 to a Honda Civic. My salemen know me and will not prejudge. I know cars well in and out and probably know how to drive better than most. I do SCCA Solo. I may go into a dealership looking for a staid minivan and come out with a hot convertible or vice-versa. Last year I bought two cars on the same day, mind you I had not decided on the type (SUV, sedan ,sportscar etc.)But since my salesman was not a wus(SP?) he make two very quick and easy sales. I hope you are not from the Grand Rapids SAAB dealer, because I can easily choose to buy something else. I drove the 9.3 Sport Combi this week and it was great, small but great. Keep and open mind and I will open my wallet. Sue
    If the Saab dealer is smart, he'll give her a loaner car as close to what she wants as possible for the entire day. It would probably be a sedan instead of wagon but they handle the same in my experience.

I once had a dealer who was a family friend loan me a used Honda Prelude for a week while I shopped for other cars. I bought the Prelude at the end of the week.

If she is driving a Saab to and from other dealers, she’ll probably buy the Saab.
    Ya jc and Dave I pretty much have to stick to the GM products. My daughter said the other day Mom you would look hot in a Dodge Charger so I asked my husband if I could go down and test drive one. You hould of seen the look on his face!LOL For no longer being loyal to GM you could of fooled me! I like all the cars on my first schedule you made me and I would love to drive them but like Dave said what good would it do if I can't have one. But the 2nd schedule I plan on giving a try maybe sat if the roads are good and the other dealer has the combi in yet. And ya It would be neat if they would give me a combi to use for the weekend so I can really tell if I like it or not thats a great idea! All dealers should do that so a person can really get the feel of the car.
    I certainly hope that response wasn't after reading my follow-up post.I specifically addressed the fact that I never treat women condescendingly or feel I have to "dumb"things down to "their level".An educated knowledgeable customer regardless of gender is my best customer.This particular woman has made numerous statements in her posts that would lead me to believe that she wants to be treated in exactly the manner I refer to above,as inherently less capable of making an informed decision than a man and thats unfortunate.In todays market place professional women command and deserve respectful treatment and I am always mindful of that.I admit to being flippant in respect to this womans expressed needs,but in all honesty,I think she takes some enjoyment in presenting herself as a "Ditz"
    Maybe you should ask the dealer for their loaner, as somebody else said (I forget your username) and then just drive it all around town all weekend.

Its a nice way to get a great feel for the car.

I wonder how many SportCombis will end up as loaners. None?
    There are so few SportCombi's right now that I doubt any have been made into loaners yet.

Driving a 9-3 Sedan feels exactly the same (we drove both). As long as you don't look behind you, you won't know the difference.
    You make a good point...given the minimal difference in size any impressions you gain from driving the 9-3 sedan should be accurate in respect to the Sport-combi. The only exception being a slight difference in perfomance due to the Sport-combi having a higher G.V.W..In respect to loaners,Dealers are being encouraged to put their first Sport-combi's into a factory sponsored Demonstrator program.They are not available for sale for 4 mos.after which they will have a $2,000 rebate.This would be a vehicle any dealer should be able to offer for an overnight extended test drive.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Get a 9-2 for a loaner. If someone is buying this thing for anything near the sticker of 32K, its crazy.
    Saab needs to get their MSRP's down and stop discounting so heavy. Most people compare stickers and think the discounts are similar. Audi, BMW, MB and surely Lexus, Acura don't come off sticker too much but have similar price points with Saab @ MSRP. But Saab will discount heavy, why do they do this? Get closer to their selling price and they move some cars in this country. I have had four Saabs and I don't put them up there with BMW, MB or Audi (maybe Volvo). But I don't pay what those car cost.
    I would also say that Saab had the worse resale value there is of all these models. Saab needs to sell their enginering, perfomance (finally some of this is here), at a fair price (near luxury, not luxury). Just my thoughts.
    A 9-5 sticker for 45K is wrong, same as a 9-2 for 32K? Sticker shock, hell people run from the dealers and Internet with these stupid MSRP's.
    YO! Did you bother to read ANY of the posts on the Saab sites regarding Saabs revamped pricing structure? Saab core product 9-3 and 9-5's ALL reduced in price for '06 by $3-4K. on average.A well equipped '06 9-5 sedan with Auto.Trans.and 260H.P.Turbo lists out at $36,170!!and there is nothing you can add to the car to get it above a list of $42,800(incl.Navigation,ventilated seats,metallic paint,visibility pkg.and sport pkg.)So.. your thinking is correct...but Saab has already taken those steps.
This discussion has been closed.