Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Since the new S-Class is only a few month away, its time to start a lead topic I think.

Here is what is pretty much known at this point. The car will debut at the IAA (Frankfurt Auto Show) in Sept, and should go on sale in Europe as a 2006 model in Oct 2005. The new S will debut here at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show, and go on sale in either Feb or March as a 2007 model, almost seven years to the day the current car went on sale here.

There has been for years, talk of a new DOHC, 32V V8 with direct-injection. As normal practice there will be two versions of the Mercedes V8. Rumors put the smaller V8 at 4.5 to 4.7L with anywhere from 325-355hp. The larger V8, a 5.5L rated at anywhere from 380-415hp. The AMG version of the new V8 has been pegged at 6.3L and develops anywhere from 490-540hp, depending on which German website you try to translate Kw/Hp values from. Mercedes is to abandon supercharging for the next generation of AMG V8s. The new 6.3L is a naturally aspirated unit. For extra juice Mercedes is going with turbocharging because it is cheaper and supposedly better in meeting emissions. In twin-turbo form the new V8 is rumored to be good for 700hp. A new V12 is at least 3 years off so the current V12s remain. The last variation is hybrid model. Curiously at the Detroit show this year there was a S400 Hybrid on display. Mercedes has already registered the "S63" and at least one diplacement number with "hybrid" behind it. Of course there will be a 268hp S350, but we won't get that model here.

There are various other websites that have actual spy photographs up. Germancarfans.com, MBCanada.com are probably the most accurate. You can pretty much tell what the car will look like if you see the pics on these sites. It is a mix of Maybach (rear) and current S-Class (front) with the same swoosh line of the SLK (side) with some very curious fender flares, to say the least. The car is going to go in the other direction as far as sized is concerned, it will be as big as the W140 S-Class from 1992-1999, clearly larger than today's car.

Interior wise, Mercedes is having a go at the Idrive/MMI concept. I hope it is easier to use and can be bypassed for basic functions. There is also said to be a big push in interior quality, and judging the CLS and SLK interiors the S-Class should finally be right in this regard.

Anyone more info please post.

M

Comments

• callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The potential hybrid and pricing for the base model.

If they had a hybrid at the '05 show, they may beat the LS Hybrid to market.

DrFIll
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081

Looks huge! I don't like that side treatment though, that character line and the area where the doors/mirror meet at. Slopes down too much.

M
  • msmtema99msmtema99 Member Posts: 5
    just a small mayybach with some lines from cls
    and it will got the first benz even the first demler chrysler hybrid made by toyota but till now the spec. of that motor is rumored

M

Also, the next CL Coupe:

M
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    The front end looks like a Pontiac with that bar splitting the grill...I doubt that will be there in the finished product....Also need to see what they did with the headlights those little rectangular things can't be it.

It has got to be better then that....
    The current one is very nice :D .

As Merc said, I'm not feeling the beltline falling into the mirrors. Definitely cheapens the look. A higher, more stable beltline is more appropriate for this class of car (thus the lack of love for the MONSTER greenhouse in the Lexus LS).

The Audi A8 is best in class here. Strong and confident, not trying to do too much. The beltline maybe THE most important feature of the high-line sedans. Chrome? Chrome thickness? C-Pillar styling? Distance from character line? Depth of character line?

Looks like Lexus may have an opening here where the German's are dropping the ball in styling details.

DrFill

The Maybach-like rear end is present in every pic so far, but those fender flares seem to come and go with each new set of pics. What the hell?

M

The most photographed upcoming Mercedes in history.

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    would be for subtle fender flares. I prefer some flare to none at all.

I really like the car, unlike some of you. I think the rear end is far more elegant than the current style and I don't see how the split grille cheapens it.

I have said before: when this car debuts Maybach will more than ever seem like an extension of the S-class. I am not sure what the solution is for Maybach.
    Well the official showing is this Monday:

link title

M
    Those Autoweek shots are photoshops, not the real exposed thing.

That interior looks way too much like a BMW 7-Series, a pity.

M

The most revealing one to date:

Click Here

M
    Looks like my request for subtle rather than sharp fender flares didn't get to the stylists.

I trusted you to get my ideas to the top brass at DC, Merc1! :)
    I trusted you to get my ideas to the top brass at DC, Merc1!

Sorry, I guess they didn't listen.

M
    Well, at this hour the "official" picutes and writeup from Mercedes-Benz hasn't been released just yet, but there are few "official" pictures on the net that have leaked out:

All of the translation from the German and various other language websites has the new S in 4 models, a 272hp S350, 388hp S500 (not S550), 231hp S320 CDI, and a 517hp S600. The V8 in the new "S500" appears to be the current SOHC, 24-valve engine from the current SLK/C/CLK 55 AMG models re-tuned and tweaked for 388hp. The new direct-injectioin, 32V, DOHC V8s **apparently** aren't ready yet. Subtract 4 hp from each total for U.S. market cars, which will be the S350 (268hp) and the S500 (384hp), initially. Still to come is a S450 with a next generation V8 with 340hp and a replacement for the S500, the S550 with a 410hp 5.5L next-generation V8. These will appear for the 2008 model year in the U.S. In Europe there will be two more diesels during 2007, a S420 CDI with the new 315hp 4.0L V8 and a S600 CDI with a 517hp/700lb-ft V12 diesel.

Now I guess we know why Mercedes just re-introduced the S350 model here.

Now for the design. Of course it looks better in the first pic than the second, due to a dark color hiding the most obvious feature, those wheel arches. Me no likey at all, especially those at the rear when they have to cover a portion of the doors. The interior looks identical to the BMW 7-Series, another mistake in my still early opinion. There is no way a Mercedes should look like a BMW inside or out. Mercedes has gone the Idrive/MMI with a Comand "controller" as its being called elsewhere.

A scanned article:

More pics:

This design could work, but those wheel arches are going to have to be looked at in person and they will depend on wheel size, something Mercedes' usually don't have to worry about. The rear is clearly derivative of the Maybach, but is much better looking imo.

More official "official" information/pics to come.....

M
    Full Article

Pics:

M

(Short wheelbase model)

M
    Can we change the title to the 2007 S-Class because the 2006 model is the same as before and in the U.S. the new S will be a 2007 model.

M
    Thanks for all the info, Merc1.

The front view is great and the back flows well: an improvement over the current style IMO. The interior is elegant. I especially like the wood steering wheel and the wood on the rear of the center console.

What is the function of the large round knob in the center of the f & r consoles?

The side view feels wrong, like it belongs to another car. The flares should be smaller and less angular. They don't fit with the shape and elegance of the rest of the car.
    What is the function of the large round knob in the center of the f & r consoles?

Mercedes' version of Idrive/MMI, called the "Comand Controller".

I still have to see the car in person, those wheel arches are just too big, especially in lighter colors.

M
  • kingykingy Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or does the new MB S-Class look very similar to the BMW 7 Series?? I think the car looks good front and rear on, but with reguards to the side..... it doesn't seem right. I am not a big fan of BMW interiors so therefore i dont seem to like the 2007 S-Class' interior.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    You're right, when I first saw those pics I was wondering if I was looking at the 7 series dash or the new S Class dash. Yes, it looks better than the previous model, but come on Mercedes, show some originality!

On the exterior, those swollen rear wheel arches have got to go, but at least the design of the car looks better in LWB form, rather than SWB. The front end styling is great, but the back looks lifted from the Maybach.

What a disappointment, at least in terms of looks. All this time spent waiting reveals a dash lifted from the BMW 7, and some very controversial styling.

Hopefully the car can make up its styling issues with good driving dynamics, reliability and refinement.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The wheel arches are huge. It makes the wheels look small, even though those are probably already 18" at least. The belt line looks kind of awkward, and the car does not look good in profile. The front end is gorgeous IMO but the back end looks too Maybach. Not a good thing. OH NO! A KNOB! I know that COMAND isn't as tempermental or confusing as I-Drive, but I still don't like it

The AMG Sport Package.

M
    It looks good in black.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Are you a current S-Class owner or 7-Series owner who is considering switching to an S-Class for your next purchase? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you about the new version of the S-Class and whether or not you would consider buying it. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter, please reply to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at [email protected] with your name, daytime phone number and the best time to reach you. Please respond by Wednesday, June 29. Thank you.”

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

What do you think of this one Chris?

M
    The wheel arches look more extreme in some colors than others. The front flares on this picture (post #31) look almost 'cartoonish'.

DC stylists should recognize the S-class' place is the elegant leader of the whole MB sedan group.

I agree with others that the Maybachish rear view is good: ditto the interior and the rest of the car.
    The wheel arches, they are way too big. The front flares around the wheels look very odd and rather unrealistic. From that angle, the wheel arch doesn't even look circular, instead taking on an ovalish look at the top. Perhaps the stylists were a little too encouraged by the CLS. Otherwise the car is pretty. The front end looks pretty good; nothing too risky, but good, and the back end looks good as well. I like to sit in a car to see the interior, but the shots look good.

:D Still can't wait for the S65AMG :D
    the new Saturn Aura at the same angle. Uncanny!

http://www.discountpartcenter.com/photos/04-19-05-01-2006-Saturn-Aura.jpg

Very interesting. The only S not in silver is the new one. Hmmmmmm, could it be that those wheel arches don't look so good in silver? Yep!

M
    Everything else about this new car is very impressive.

I bet we all stop noticing the oversize wheel arches over the next year or so.

We may even come to like them! :)
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    re BMW similiarity.....I detect a psuedo "Bangle Butt" on the new S - not as pronounced, but there. Not sure why this is the rage with designers, since most pundits and many "fans" don't like it.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Great pic. I like it; it's evolutionary.
    I'm sorry. I have to agree that it's not what you would call,.... uh....good.

But hey, it's better than the 7!

I think Lexus heard a door open.

Or was that a toilet flush?

I HATE living in a Haunted House! It's too noisy in here!

DrFill
    Well the jury is out ultimately until I see the car in person.

M
    Any firm date for the showroom floor debut other than the 'autumn 2005' listed in the press release?

The rest of the car is so good, IMO, that we may forget the wheel arches when we see it in the metal.
    I want to too. It looks good in dark red and black, but the silver isn't becoming of it. Which is a bad thing, because Mercedes sells a lot of silver cars.
    Any firm date for the showroom floor debut other than the 'autumn 2005' listed in the press release?

Well that is for Europe. Typical Mercedes practice means a U.S. debut in Jan at the Detroit show and a on-sale date in March-April.

M
  • yuppy007yuppy007 Member Posts: 12
    I'm a MB fan and currently own 2005 S430 4MATIC and 2005 ML 350. I also used to own other S models. I'm proud to own MB cars and I love driving them, especially my 2005 S430 4MATIC. I think MB is the best mass-produced cars in the world. I really don't know what inspired MB designers to design the interior like BMW 7-series (maybe sales numbers?), but I'm disappointed with that decision. I think MB should design something that inspires others and especially the drivers. Do not follow someone else just because they had a good year. Be the best that you are. Improve on your reliability, design inspiration, build pride, and sell art.
    I really don't know what inspired MB designers to design the interior like BMW 7-series (maybe sales numbers?), but I'm disappointed with that decision.

I don't know either, but I don't see another way for them to put the screen and controls there without it looking like the 7-Series. Then again something radical probably wasn't part of the design brief on something like the S-Class.

M
  • yuppy007yuppy007 Member Posts: 12
    The only thing positive thing out of this is to prove a point that even Mercedes Benz is not so arrogant that it is drowned in its own success. Even still, it should make the point in other ways. Using the 7-series interior design is too much of a risk of losing oneself, especially for the S-class its flagship model.
  • superfreak1000superfreak1000 Member Posts: 1
    The new mercedes looks like nothing more than an infinity or some other trivial japanese curvy anime-influenced jack-off hyper-design. It looks silly and stupid. Seeing it on the street, I would never recognize it as a mercedes were it not for the three pointed star emblem and maybe the grill. What happened to Bruno Sacco's (1978-1999 chief MB car designer) philosophy about design CONTINUITY and RECOGNITION. Not to mention that it looks cheap and flimsy in quality. The interior looks like it was influenced by christler (oh my! could it have been!). What ever happened to the strong, heavy, imposing and SOLID designs of the 1980's through 1999. I still think the last true S-class was the 1992-1999 tank. Everything since has been a shamfull stouping into scurrious design trends. Puthetic.
    A new pic:

M
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Are you sure that is one? t
    Yep, look at the large rear wheel arch.....lol!

M
    I found few more pics:

M
    The AMG Sport package:

Side View

Rear View

Now this I like!

M
    MB has already released the specs for the new S500, at 388hp which is about 382hp for the U.S. market, but now the German site has the S450 information posted. The S450 has 342hp in European trim, which should come out to 335hp in U.S. trim. The S600 has 510hp in U.S. trim.

M
This discussion has been closed.