Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Those pictures show from different views and sort of everyday use, and I think the car will grow and be accepted by the buyers...It also doesn`t seem to be a radical departure so the present owners of S may not take such a hit any more than the reliability issues have already done..I sure hope Mercedes gets back on track...Tony
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    and I think the car will grow and be accepted by the buyers.

I think so too. That rear-wheel arch is the only thing I worry about as far as the exterior goes, and it doesn't seem to be as big on some shots. The test will be in Jan when I get to see it in person at Detroit. GCF has just added some new pics:

(swb model)

I really like the body-colored strips accross the tailamps.

"alles muß völlig geprüft werden"

Now give me a sideways pose with a smile!

M
    From another board:

(Thanks "cawimmer430")

This car looks so much better in real-life pics than it does in some of the offical MB pics. The build quality appears to be miles ahead of the current S-Class, and most other current MB's except for the SLK and CLS. This thing is going to be hot.

M
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I'd still prefer the shifter on the console but otherwise, sweeeet.
    I know you trade cars often and you had an E320 so is there a possiblity of an S-Class in your future during the new model's production run?

M
    "....is there a possibility of an S-Class in your future....."

Probabaly not, even though from pictures I like the car a lot. It's just too much car for me, sizewise and otherwise.
    Gotcha. I too think see the mid-size luxury cars as being more "fun" to drive and easier to handle sort of speak.

M
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/107049/page010.html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..- leftnav.11.*

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the S63 AMG. I like the car overall, although I don't like the fact that Mercedes so blatantly copied the BMW 7 Series in the interior.
    The S63 should more or less look like this:

AMG Styling

M
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Thanks for the S63 picture! It looks great, better than the current S55.
    Well that isn't quite the S63, just the what the new S looks like in AMG guise. I suspect the S63 will have a different set of rear pipes, but thats about it.

M

M

M
    Love those pics, especially the S's lined up and viewed with through the windshield of the vintage Benz.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Merc1 - those really are very nice pics you posted. Thanks!

I frequently see MBs with Manufacturer plates during my morning commute to Northern NJ. At a stop light I approached a black MB and noticed the taillamps were different from the usual E/S/CLS sedans I usually spot. Sure enough, it was the new S with Manufacturer plates and all emblems covered with black tape. The wheel/tires were wider than the ones in the pics you've posted, so it might have had a sport suspension. Overall, the car looked great!
    I'm glad you guys like the pics. :) I really like the S-Class history/lineage pic too. Pretty powerful statement imo.

As you can imagine on the GCF they're going nuts over the car and since a lot of those posters are from Europe they post new pics just about every day.

This car is going to be a killer in AMG sportwear.

cornellpinoy - I can't wait to see it in person. Hopefully before it goes on sale.

M
    A short S-Class video:

Die Neue S-Klasse

M
    (S350)

(S350)

Finally, the new head of DCX enjoying his new S600:

M
    Do you really like the headlamp treatment? I swear that is my biggest comlaint against Lexus....Tony
    Yes, its pretty much like before. What don't you like about it?

M
    New S First Drive

I think they like it.

Two stunning new pics:

M
    I was looking at the german car fan,s site, and there was a picture of the old merceded, say around fifteen years ago...It was one of the classic cars, and before I knew it was the old mercedes, I said to myself ``Ah ha, Mercedes is re designing and drawing on some of their past successes...``` Then the article....To answer as best I can, I think the streamed lined headlights with the mirror interior are too gaudy....Mercedes has played the chrome down in the past , and I personally like that...Lexus on the other hand has increased the chrome, and along with the headlight, have way overdone it...I have, as you know, owned alot of Lexus over the years, and have watched this development....I am afraid Mercedes is on the same road.....We`l see when we `see`....Not to be undone, Audi has emphasized the grill, and although I am getting one, I`m not absolutely thrilled with that either...I almost got the bmw 7 and I sure don`t like some of their touches..I think the Mercedes that was the model before last was the leader...Well thought out and well made Tony
  • ceo4ceo4 Member Posts: 2
    HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT BLUETOOTH IN THE NEW 07? AND NEW TECH INSIDE CAR?
    Strangely enough that hasn't been mentioned. I don't see it wouldn't have it, it has everything else (dvd-a etc). I guess this question will be answered when the U.S. specs are announced.

M
    Come on Tony, whats not to like here? ;)

Tony, I take it this is the shot you're talking about regarding the headlights?

M
  • ceo4ceo4 Member Posts: 2
    thank you i will be waiting for the specs i hope soon
    Priced one out without the most expensive options and came in a shade under one hundred thousand dollars for the five hundred s....It`s hard to keep up with the prices of these cars, and I wonder in the end if they will really sell what they expect, with a coming slow down in economy and all the additional uncertanty...Tony ps maybe so if the lease is low enough, but to purchase??
    Where or how did you price one so soon?

M
    I may have made a mistake...I went to Mercedes site and chose the s model, it said 2006 so I assumed it was the next year, remembering as I write checks it is 2005 right now.....The new one is 2007 I guess...Anyway went and double checked yesterday and I think those are the prices right now for the current model...I don`t know what to think, as Mercedes is really an expensive car, in fact they are all getting prohibitive....I guess it is all in the leasing details vs buying...Tony
    Yeah the 2007 model prices won't be on their U.S. website until at least Feb or late Jan 2006.

M
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    :cry:

That's not what I would call,......... uh,.... good.

Damning it with faint praise, it looks MUCH better in dark colors (which hides the poor styling, but accentuates the generally good design).

But it is rather brutal in Silver :(

What's with the rear fender flare, FOLLOWED by not one, but TWO indentations in the rear fender? They serve no purpose but to attract your attention to the rear fender, which is hauntingly similar to the 2003 740i in that the rear deck stands above the rest of the rear in a stacked position, visually lowering the taillights, and therefore lower the rear end, which has no presence, leaves a weak lasting impression anyway!

The taillights? The taillights!!! :mad:

I know some people like the CLS, but A LOT of people don't! This is way to, unique, and will alienate conservative buyers, of which Mercedes has more than a few.

Shows how good the interior of the current car is!! If you drop the COMAND, you have a decent Lexus LS interior knock-off (Lauded by C&D, BTW). Downright tropical and inviting!!

You know what I miss? The last-gen 7-series. It was low, wide, long, lean, elegant, had shoulders, no pointless cuts or dimples or lines out of place. Just a lean. mean driving machine! Had acres of road presence without trying! What a timeless style.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

And now, Mercedes, you are among them.

Apparently, sin is in.

Let the "Spin" begin!

DrFill
    There is really nothing to "spin" that post was expected and the interior ain't no knockoff of a Lexus by any means.

M
    C&D made the comment along the lines of Lexus-like when the S (430) was compared directly a few years back. With electroluminescent guages and brighter colors with softer materials, a rather clear departure from the previous generation's frosty demeanor.

You do have to admit, the change was not evolutionary from '98 to 99.

DrFill
    Oh, ok got it. I'll accept that. That change you speak of was actually from 99 to the 2000 model year S.

M
    On my daily morning and afternood drive I have been on the lookout for the different Mercedes , etc.....I saw a 740 and just couldn`t help but think how much more I appreciated that car than the current one...Stopped myself to try and figure it iou, and your post sort of sums it up.....The Mercedes may overall be more attractive in real life...We`l see...It`s possible the wheel arches with the right tire and wheel will look better than what we think....Remember Porsche a long time ago did the whole thing very aggressively and still beautiful and that isn`t just my opinion.....On a more humorous level, as I was pulling up to a light, sort of not paying attention, I glanced over on my left and thought I might possibly be in a funeral prcession by accident....The rear of the new Mercedes seven seater looked just like hearst....Next time you see one check that observation out...I don`t mean this disrespectfully only the initial reflex to what I saw...Man that is a big people mover...Although I am tired of it I think the Lexus interior dash is unique to Lexus...It is very easy and intuitive to use...I really am tired of the touch screen but it is probably the best......Just couldn`t help but agree with your comments on the previous designs Tony
    After getting tossed from the IS forum I created, I get nothing but compliments on my posts!

Thanx for the luv!! :blush:

Yeah, what's up with that Pacifica Mercedes sells? I see it in all the mags. What is it called?

I think you just called it a Hearst! That's funny! :P

DrFill
    Hi Merc----Are you a cubs fan or a white sox??? Article in n y times about the devided city ....Tony
    Well truthfully neither, never cared much for baseball. I'm just pulling for whichever Chicago team can win a World Series during my lifetime. We haven't had this much sports excitement since 1998 - the last year the Bulls won a championship.

M
  • dabigbenzboydabigbenzboy Member Posts: 1
    In January 2006 Im getting a 2007 s500 top of the line with everything, including amg sport package, and everything/anything I can get on it.!!!!!

Im so excited...... I just cant hide it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):)
  • mbbmw2002mbbmw2002 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Dabigbenzboy,

How much did you deposit for the new S500? Did the dealership give you any estimates on how much it will cost?

Thank you
  • s50525456s50525456 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the the new 2007 S500 4-matic will be available in the U.S.? Thanks in advance.
    All of the magazines are saying that the S450 and S550 will be offered with 4Matic next fall. S500 has been changed to S550 to reflect the actual size of the engine.

M
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Will there be a short wheel base model in the US? Would it be 450? Likely starting price? thanks.
    Current info is that no short-wheelbase models will be sold here. The S450, S550 and S600 will all be long wheelbase models. The S450 should be priced from anywhere between 77-80K, IMO.

M
    Preliminary ordering guide for the S550 - Here

At the time this was issued there were three option packages, P1,P2 and P3. Depening on the prices this may really work out for folks that don't want all the high-end toys. The pricing of these packages will be the key. C&D has a test of the S550 in their Feb 2006 with the option prices I believe.

M
  • nunnznunnz Member Posts: 3
    What are everyones thoughts on a 2007 Mercedes S450 vs a 2007 Lexus LS460L? Both are going to priced around $80k roughly.
    The LS460 is competition for the S550, not S450.

That's like saying a Ford Exploder Eddie Bauer is comp for a RX330.

That ain't right. I don't know what the S450 will compete with, but it will take no sales away from an LS460.

The S550 will have it's hands full!

Tell 'em, Merc!

DrFill
This discussion has been closed.