Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Dman, what color is your truck supposed to be? What year is it? If it's a 2000, you're probably talking about platinum, which looks silver but has a tint of blue in it. In 2001, platinum was replaced by silver sky, which is more gray without the blueish tint.

Vince8, I don't know exactly what the hp and torque curves are for the trucks, but I know the plenum on the Tundra gives it more low end torque than a normal DOHC 4 valve engine. You say most Toyota owners go by horsepower? So when I was shopping for a truck, I automatically go for the one with the least hp? Chevy w/5.3L-285 hp; Ford w/5.4L-260 hp; Dodge w/5.9L-245 hp; Tundra w/4.7L-245 hp. It would look to me like the Chevy has the most power of them all. Torque matters a lot too. But the most important to me is drag race times. In any magazine you find, the Tundra will be one of the fastest trucks against the big 3's. If an LSD rear differential is so important to you, there are aftermarket companies that make them for the Tundra. Also, the Supercharged TRD Tundra seen at the SEMA Auto Show has an LSD, so I'm sure it's on its way to production. About the backseats, I usually sit in the front seat to drive the truck.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    What about your passengers rooster? Dont you have any feelings for them?

Ryan
  • dman9dman9 Member Posts: 4
    Rooster,
    it's a 2001, I guess it's silver sky, it is definately grey at certain angles, but at other angles and light it looks somewhat purple. It just pisses me off because when I bought it it was raining and the salesman assured me it was grey. I also can't stand the cd player that came with it, all my cd's skip. I'm also thinking about buying the flair sides separate, do you know where I can get those other than the dealer?
  • justtheonejusttheone Member Posts: 403
    Sounds like ya got tricked into gettin that limited one for sure. That factory be trickin lots of folks on em, this just be the way it is with em. Best trade on up too a big3 one quick, get ya one with some haul in it. Good luck on this one now!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I give up!
  • dman9dman9 Member Posts: 4
    what about the flair sides? Is there anywhere I can get those cheaper than the dealer
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    It's manifestly obvious from post #471, Bama is still recounting his ballots, and he will continue recounting his ballots until he gets the outcome he wants, a full size truck!
    Engine in the '99 Silverado was not a first year engine. It descended from the LS1 in the 97 C5, (Corvette 345 hp), and the 98 thru current F-bodys, Camaro, Firebird.
    Those engines are all aluminum. For truck duty, GM went to cast iron block with 6 bolt mains, aluminum heads. Strike the chord Bob Seger, Silverado...THE TRUCK!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    6 bolt mains with incorrect bearing clearances causing cold engine knock.
    #0 of 0: Tundra Knocking sound (when Cold) (alfonso3) Tue 28 Nov '00 (10:27 AM)

I heard a knocking sound when I first started my
    Tundra in about 30f weather. It stopped when it
    warmed up. Anyone have this happen?
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    How is this possible, the tundra knocking sound?
    Now folks is givin tells on how them tundras have them knockin engines. Is this them head-gaskets fixin too let loose on em? Them forien ones always got them troubles with them gaskets now. Good luck on this one now!
    Them bikes be heavy now, puttin a strain on that limited one for sure. Now ya got that answer too why that factory aint puttin no hitch on them limited ones for sure. Just use your eyes on that picture now. Good luck on this one now!
    Wow, 1 reported case of the Tundra's V-8 knocking. At tundrasolutions, people are wondering why their engine pings after it's shut off. It's not their engine, it's the exhaust system cooling, like almost every engine I've ever seen do. Probably same thing here.
    or could be them head-gaskets coolin. Good luck on this one now!
    Them was some good tells for folks fad chasin, but ya left off a tell on that shine now! Hows the shine on them ones? Is it real shiny now? Folks who be fad chasin need too be knowin this.

Now, questions for them who be workin em:
    1) Hows it haul?
    2) Hows it tow?
    3) Hows that rear under that load?
    4) How is at workin a farm and such?
    5) Can they be rebuilt and worked some more?
    6) Are they cheap too keep up?
    7) How they be with that fifth wheel?
    8) Can that bed hold lots now? Is it deep enough?
    9) Is there room in that cab for the workin man?
    10) Can them tacoma parts hold up any if worked?

Good luck on this one now!
    I know what you mean when you say that you are
    happy with your truck. I have had my Tundra for a
    year and it is the best vehicle that I have ever
    owned.

I have a Tundra 4X4 V8 Access Cab and I have been
    happy with the mileage. I get about 2mpg better
    than the EPA rating.

I have heard that putting a Tonneau cover or shell
    on also increases mileage. The
    www.tundrasolutions.com website is a great source
    of info about Tundras. The site has a great search
    engine.

Don't bother responding to Justtheruns - She is
    just trying to get a flamewar started. She should be given the attention a naughty 3rd grader is due - none.
    Yep, when that truth starts stingin, them ones start name callin. If that name callin dont work, they goin started holdin there breath, and stampin them feets. Good luck on this one now!
    justheone has a very good point. Fine, the Tundra is a good grocery getter, handles well on pavement as a commuter.. Now, lets see how it hauls, pulls, tows, climbs..... against the competition.
    The commercial showing the Tundra out towing a boat up a hill makes me laugh. They use the lowest V8 Chevy/Dodge/Ford have to offer, yet they use the top of the line engine Toyota has to offer?? Sounds real fair..How about we put the top of the line engines Ford/Dodge/Chevy have to offer, then lets see how Tundra stands up... it won't. The Tundra is not a work truck. Take a look at the rear diff, axles, springs ect and compare them to a Ford/Dodge/Chevy.. then we'll talk.....Tundra is a good vehicle to take to Costco to load all those groceries into..
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    you and justletone are correct in stating toyota uses their top engine against the smallest v-8s the competition has to offer.
    toyota 4.7
    chev/gmc 4.8
    dodge 5.2
    ford 4.6
    so it seems that the engines are similar in size..
    also if the tundra parts that are smaller than the parts under the front end of my 2000 2-wd silverado, tundra drivers will need to avoid even the smallest gravel on the road...
    Why is it that when the magazines test them with all the biggest engines in, the Tundra still comes out well? In the latest comparison in Motortrend, the 4.7L Tundra only lost in acceleration to the Silverado w/5.3L, and the Silverado had 4:10 gears. The Ford was tested with it's 5.4L engine, and the Dodge with the 5.9L.

Vince8, I don't know where it says in the Tundra owner's manual that you can't use it for work related chores, but I haul wood with mine, put fourwheelers on the back, pull fourwheelers, in the summer I will pull tractors on a trailer, etc. Tomorrow it's getting loaded up with wood again.
    Is it a massey-fugerson now? We be usin the fifth for haulin a massey round these parts now. Is that one ya goin haul a massey? Them massey-fugerson ones be the best ones for sure. Haulin a massey is workin em for sure. Wonder if them tacoma drive-train parts in them limited ones be holdin up too puttin the haul too a massey now. Guessin ya be findin out this summer, if that tractor be a massey-fugerson one. Good luck on this one now!
    Just curious - what are you doing in a Tundra owner's topic. I can understand Libby - she is just brain dead, but what are you doing here? You contend that we bought the worst truck available. Now that you have had your say - can you be polite and just go away?

I would be glad to discuss the relative merits of trucks in a more appropriate topic such as Tundra vs. the Big3.
  • deckbuilderdeckbuilder Member Posts: 1
    justtheone keeps talking about the Tundra being a foreign vehicle when most of it is built in good ol' southern Indiana. there are only a few things in the Tundra that are shipped from Japan. there is a lot of pride and hard work that goes into building the tundra and that truck doesn't leave the plant until it is perfect for the consumer. I build Tundras and I own a Tundra and I could not be any more happier with my truck. I have owned several trucks in my life time and my Tundra out performs them all. justtheone needs to spend more time driving a tundra to get actual facts before spouting off about something they have little experience with.
    Just stated facts that Tundra owners don't like huh? Well, I'm done here anyway. Anyone that actually looks at the facts will see the Tundra is no match for a Ford/Chevy/Dodge.
    If you are really interested in discussing the "facts" in a more appropriate place there is a Tundra vs. Big3 topic in this forum. You should like it - it is packed with Big3 owners that feel the same way that you do.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Let's all try to get along here. Okay? And now back to the topic of the Toyota Tundra. Thanks. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Host
  • forkmforkm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 access cab with dual exhaust. I'm wondering what the difference in horsepower, and loss of fuel economy might be with the dual exhaust. I've only had the truck a couple of weeks, and I'm only getting about 15mpg in mixed driving. It sounds great, but I have feeling I'm losing some fuel economy (It really doesn't mean all that much, just curious). I love the truck, my only real complaint is the lack of a limited-slip or locking differential. Other than that, Toyota has done a wonderful job.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you do not have enough backpressure with the dual exhaust. This causes loss of low end torque. To compensate for this, you must give it a little more gas than you used to causing lower mpg. If the duals are not setup correctly you could on the average lose 10 hp. But hey, you got the sounds that you wanted, right? As long as it sounds faster....
    Put ya a connectin pipe between them duals now. That connectin pipe should be restorin that lost torque and be boostin that mileage back again. Good luck on this one now!
  • beerleaguebeerleague Member Posts: 1
    I live in Vancouver, BC and purchased 2000 Tundra Access Cab (4x4 with V8) in August. Now has 16,000 kil. (10,000 miles) on it.
    I am happy, happy.

On a work use basis:
    I am part owner of commercial general contracting company. Spend my day mostly driving empty between job sites but regularly haul tool boxes, material and garbage. I do not think it is possible to overload the short box version of access cab (biggest scale weighed load at garbage dump was 874 kil. (1,923pounds) and I moved it 15 miles down freeway with ease.
    Previous work truck was 1987 Toyota extra cab p/u - gave to one of the guys on crew(still going strong with 320,000 kil.). We have also regularly had use of various 3/4 ton chevy vans, ford & chevy p/u's, etc. In my opinion this is the best truck of the bunch - bar none.

On a personal use basis:
    Taken truck offroading in local mountain forestry access & logging roads and found it excellent. Winter snow test was the same.
    I also use the truck going to my teenage sons baseball & hockey games. Easily hauls four 16 year old boys and all their gear to games in style.

I could keep going....
    Comments?
  • 70judge70judge Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering how the truck would hold up pulling between a 26-28ft 5th wheel with the v8. I have heard from one person that it had some frame twist, but thats just going on hear say. Any advice or comments would be appreciated thanks.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Check the Tundra owners manual - you will be limited to 45 MPH when towing, you also need aftermarket sway bars to tow more the 2,000 pounds. It doesn't look like (to me anyway) Toyota wants the Tundra used to tow anything heavier that a jet ski.
    What exactly are you towing?
  • 70judge70judge Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your comments. I shall do more research as suggested.
    Don't pay too much attention to Z71Billy. He got stuck with a '99 Lemonado. Since then, he posts his sour grapes to Tundra owners newsgroups. The Tundra tows as well as any 1/2 ton pickup and it won't break down on a daily basis like billy's lemon. If you want real info and not more of Billy's lies - go to www.tundrasolutions.com
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Most Dependable 1996 Models by Category

Compact Car Toyota Tercel
    Entry Midsize Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
    Premium Midsize Honda Accord
    Sporty Car Mazda MX-5 Miata
    Sports Car Porsche 911
    Entry Luxury Car Lexus ES 300
    Premium Luxury Car Lexus LS 400
    Compact Pickup Toyota Tacoma
    Full-size Pickup Toyota T100
    Mini SUV Toyota RAV4
    Compact SUV Toyota 4 Runner
    Full-size SUV Toyota Land Cruiser
    Luxury SUV Lexus LX 450
    Compact Van Honda Odyssey
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Purchased a 2wd SR5 V-8 in October 99. tw0-tone green/gray w/ 265/70-16 tire/wheels and basically "loaded"(bedliner, tow pkg, conv pkg, CD/cassette, foglamps, two-tone paint, buckets) for $25,000 driveout. (about $400 over invoice, a great deal at the time)

Zero problems requiring warranty service. I did have a slight tire vibration that was remedied with a rebalance of the front tires. $15 at a local shop.

Pros: Great power, smooth ride, relatively quiet for a truck, reliable, great cupholders/console setup, decent stereo for the cheap price of the upgrade, good interior ergonomics, 4 door convenience

Cons: door indents aren't sufficient to hold them open on inclines, a little too much body roll for my tastes, I would prefer a 100% full sized model for more leg room, large blind spot due to door pillars and safety belts, safety belt doesn't always retract completely due to design, and finally, seat fabric could be a little more hefty.

Not perfect, but better than my other options(all of which I have owned, btw) . I picked the Tundra because I was tired of having to sell a vehicle when it started getting older. I use it for business and cannot afford trips to the shop, even if under warranty.

Silverado: unreliable, and a bit too large a wheelbase for easy maneuvering with a trailer, but otherwise stellar.
    F-150: I found the seats unbearably uncomfortable, but otherwise, a nice truck. Mine was 100% reliable in 2 years of hard use.
    Dodge Ram: mine wasn't very reliable, and the dealers were incompetent. It also handles and brakes like a pig compared to the more modern designs. Interior and looks were awesome, though. If updated, it could be the best of them all.
    My Z-71 is running fine. Tell us Bamma what does it say in your Tundra's owners manual about towing? Is there a warning about sway control if you plan to tow more than 2,000 pounds? Does it say to limit your speed to 45 MPH when towing? Answer these questions and then we will see who is a liar. I give the Tundra credit for what it is - a mid-size looking truck that has the tow capabilities of a compact truck.
    Your always bragging about towing heavy loads with your Silverado. Well....a picture is worth a thousand words. Lets see it in action and please no picture-ripoff stunts like Libbey.
    Isn't the '99 Silverado already rated a used vehicle to avoid by Consumer Reports? I guess you are one of the lucky ones if you have not had any problems. Good luck trying to sell that expensive junk though.

You said that the Tundra cannot tow over 45mph - that is a lie. You said that the Tundra needs swaybars to tow over 2000 lbs. That is also a lie. The Tundra is rated to tow 7200lbs and there is no speed rating. This is in my owners manual

The items you are referring to in the Tundra manual are recommendations. I bought a blow drier which had a recommendation not to use it while in the shower. A chain saw manufacturer recommends not to stop the chain with your hands or your groin. These are safety warnings which are typical on any product you buy to avoid product liability lawsuits.

The Tundra has better brakes and more low end torque than the Shakerado. It also has a much beefier standard supension.

If the Tundra is limited to 2000lbs and 45mph, then the Chevy must be 1000 and 25.

Face it - the Chevy was designed for soccer moms to haul kids and a couple of bags of groceries. The Tundra is the heaviest duty 1/2 ton pickup.
    better brakes???

As Jim carrey would say

"Alrighty then"

Ryan
  • webbdwebbd Member Posts: 176
    Your carpoint post of the most reliable models was actually a J.D. powers 5-year reliability study. It just happened to be posted over on carpoint. Toyota (Lexus included) cleaned house with a #1 rating in 9 of a total 14 categories including best full-size truck (i'm gonna hear it on this even though EPA sets the standards and J.D. just follows), compact truck, mini-suv, compact suv, large suv, luxury suv, full-size suv, compact car, and more.

But in case anyone doesn't like 5-year reliability studies, here is a 2000 model year reliability study. You'll notice that neither of the Big 2 placed in the top 20 (Ford was 21), and DaimlerChrysler's only saving grace was Mercedes, which came in at #7. Lexus placed first for 6th straight year followed by porsche, infiniti, and Toyota, respectively. Ford at #21 had 48% more problems per 100 vehicles compared to Toyota.

Here's the link: http://www.jdpower.com/global/jdpaawards/releases/110200.html
  • alfonso3alfonso3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone put a super charger on their Tundra. If so... did you change the exhaust etc.... How do you like it?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Just drop an 8.1 in that truck.....NA is the best way to go.
    Sorry no digital camera. Seeing a pic of my Silverado towing a trailer stacked high with 2x6x12's or pulling a 29 foot travel trailer (with the bed also fully loaded with gear) would not really prove anything anyway.

Bamma - your chain saw example made me laugh out loud. But you are missing the whole point, your examples warn the consumer of obvious things that no one with a brain would do. Using your logic that would mean only a complete fool would tow more than 45 MPH with a Tundra. You just helped me prove my point.

You better read over your post again - maybe you want to change it!!.

Bamma says
    The items you are referring to in the Tundra manual are recommendations. I bought a blow drier which had a recommendation not to use it while in the shower. A chain saw manufacturer recommends not to stop the chain with your hands or your groin. These are safety warnings which are typical on any product you buy to avoid product liability lawsuits.

Please pay special attention to the part of Bamma's post which points out "these are safety warnings" (Again this proves my point)I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt trying to tow with a Tundra.
    The TRD supercharger is being released for retail this spring. The I-force produces 330 hp and 400 lbs of torque with the 5 psi boost from the supercharger
    You claim your silverado can tow 8000lbs yet the chevy manual warns to use special springs over 5000 lbs and an optional trannie cooler must be purchased to tow any weight at all. How many times does Bama have to show you the trailer towing article discribing how the Tundra pulled, handled and stopped without a problem.
    In real life the Silverado brakes can barely stop itself without producing gasps of smoke and much longer than normal stopping distances. I choose to live in reality, unlike the silverado owners. They choose to ignore the harsh realities of objective ratings and focus solely on GM literature about how great their truck is "SUPPOSE" to be. Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Guess you need to show them again Bama!!!!!!!!
    Rwell funny you say ignorance is bliss you sure must know that pretty good