Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    worth about $350, won it and 2 free oil changes at a "meet your dealer" event. Went out of curiousity and found they gave everyone door prizes and drawings as well as fed us. My dealer is Fred Haas in Houston, he's only changed the oil on my Tundra so far, but seems very professional and it's a big dealership with a full service department.
    BTW Obyone, rate your Tundra for us ;^)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That's a good one, toytunone.....
  • firefighterfirefighter Member Posts: 2
    I have right now a 94 Dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab v-8. and I hate it(the thing in the shop more than it's on the road). now the question is I've seen in magazines the Toyota Tundra TRD 4X4 Ivan Stewart edition. If you have one please tell me more about it. It looks sharp. I test drove a a 200 tundra extended cab 4x4 TRD limited. but not a ivan stewart edition.and is it offered in anything but black? but i give toyota this the truck smooth, the fit and finish is nice and quality if it's like there little brothers (the tacoma) is awesome. thanks if you can answer my question
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    What maintenance is required at 15K miles- it can't be much more than an oil change & tire rotation - maybe an inspection of some type - I guess you can't complain if its free -
  • thedane1thedane1 Member Posts: 4
    Hoping for some of the Tundra Owners to comment on how it is to handle. Have read it´s a bit loose in corners. Especially I would like to know what it is like sizeable to drive and the cabin size. Dos it feal smaller to drive than ck /f150. Would prefere the size of the Dodge Dakota (or even smaller), but the quality of a Toyota.
    Is hoping the Tundra is about the same size to drive as the landcruiser.
    It´s not easy for me to get to a dealer, since i Live in Denmark, Scandinavia EC, where the car is not marketed (So something´s still rotten in Denmark, to quote William). But, maybe I´ll import one myself.
  • helton2helton2 Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone out there has any idea if toyota will make a tundra with the 4 full size doors like the ford f-150 crew cab..I am needing the full size crew cab, but hate the thoughts of buying ford or chevy..Have asked dealers about the possibilities of the crew cab tundra in 2002, but can't get a answer..Guess they want to sell one now but I would be willing to wait till next fall..Any body know anything????
    The Tacoma has a crew cab - called double cab - think it has a 5 foot bed and room for 5 in the cab. If you must have a Toyota this will have to do. I saw a Dakota 4x4 crew cab today - it looks sharp. Never driven one so I can only comment on the looks.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I have owned a '00 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Extended cab pickup for over a year. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have only had one problem with it since new: I knocked the mirror off of it backing out of my garage. I am upset with Toyota about this - the truck should have knocked out the side of my garage instead of damaging the mirror.

I have hauled 1200 lbs in my truck (verified by the scales at the dump) with two additional passengers. The truck handled the load beutifully. I had to add two 3X6 sheets of plywood to each side of the bed to accomadate loading to the top of the cab, but it handled it flawlessly.

The Tundra is absolutely the quitest, best riding, most reliable, besty quality, best braking 1/2 ton truck on the market. The towing and hauling ratings are at least as good as the Big2.

Now expect to see some unfortunate Chevy owners posting to this topic - it is just sour grapes.

The best 1/2 ton pickup on the planet - Tundra.
  • ken0ken0 Member Posts: 29
    Town Hall Pickups fifth wheeling witha Tundra
    Welcome ken0 [Preferences] [My Profile] [Logout]

fifth wheeling witha Tundra
    2 messages,Last post on Feb 14, 2001 at 04:52 AM

Msg#

Tried to get discussion pertaining strictly to trailering with a Trundra but apparently that's not allowed . If any of you have input on this subject - please respond ,:
    Dissapointments with all 3 of big 3 are causing me to look elsewhere. Am looking for imput on Tundra. I haul a 22 ft. fifthwheel ,5200 lbs total wet weight including people,food,etc. Does the Tundra have a "tow package" , what are it's handling characteristics , etc.
    Talking to the Tundra Service people in California left me with the impression of"My gosh ! what is a trailer ? Tow package ? oil coolers ? what are they?."
    How about some info from you Tundra trailer haulers?

Ken-o in Texas
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Transmission cooler is standard equipment. Towing package is an option. I tow a 4000 pound (estimated wet)travel trailer and have had no problems. You will have to add a trailer brake control and a 7-plug wiring harness to the Tundra. I would suggest checking the weights, but a 22 foot fifth wheel should not be a problem. My experience from my Tundra is that it is very stable. However, you don't get the best gas mileage doing it. Although, this is true with any truck.
    airbags for the Tundra?
    thanks for the come back
    does Tundra have choice of rear end ratios?
    how do they handle and break with a trailer load?
    what does their towing package consist of?
    been pulling rig with a 97 silverado for the last 4 years and i don't think the weights are any problem
    I think the positioning of the pedistal will be all right but what is distance rearaxel to cab?
    what is hegt of bed sides?
    I asked all these questions of Toyota customer service and he sounded like I was from another planet asking such foolish questions .,but if I go Tundra , it won't be like it was with dodge and ford - I will know or not buy
    The Tundra does not have a choice of rear ends ratios. I would have to check to see what they are. MIne is 4.08. The V8 models are either 3.09 or 3.16 with the latter being 2WD.

Mine handles great. The breaking is consistent. My personal experience has shown me that I get better with every trip of hitting the right combination of brake pedal and distance. Emergency breaking has given me no scares.

I bought the truck with the towing package which consisted of a reece hitch (no weight distributing hitch), the receiver (class IV), and a four plug wiring harness. I converted the 4 plug into a 7 plug. Later in life, I bought the weight distributing hitch and I bought the trailer brake controller for inside the cab. Here again, the transmission cooler is standard. Toyota also has a large alternator standard.

The distance from rearaxle to cab is dependent on which model you would get. I have regular cab longbed and the distance is 36 inches. The height of bed to top is 16.5 and the height of wheelwheel to top is 9.75. However all these measurements are in cosideration that I have a bedliner.

According to the brochure I have the difference between bed lengths is 27 inches. Since the wheelbase is the same. I would assume that the distance from wheelwheel to cab is 9 inches with a bedliner. I would ask rooster for correct measurements for the extended cab model. He tows a 6500 pound trailer.

Let me know if any other questions!
    There is a good article about the Tundra towing a 6500 lb load in Summer through the Sierra Nevadas. Trailer Life magazine was impressed with its towing abilities.

http://www.trailerlife.com/test/0002tundra.cfm

One thing to keep in mind - the Tundra has a 5 yr, 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty, the Chevy only has 3yr, 36,000. The Toyota also has a bulletproof reputation for making quality, long lasting vehicles.

It all depends on what is important to you. To find details on fifth wheel towing do a search at http://www.tundrasolutions.com

Good Luck.

Oby - What does aftermarket airbags have to do with the price of tea in China? Don't you have a lemon Silverado?

looks like I need to listen to Rooster - how do I get a hold of him ?
    hit the tundra vs. big 3 topic and ask for him
    its rooster9
    the Alex.web site don't work. All it does is take you to the regular Toyota site where they always say "if you want this ,you can't have that, but you gotta take this other" crap which is the reason I will probably stay with my Silverado.

Ken-o
    just checking if you were paying attention. BTW, do they?
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    The 4x4 Tundra V-8's axle ratio is 3.92:1. I don't have the dimensions you're looking for but I could get them when it's light outside. I don't tow a 6,500 lb trailer. The load varies. The trailer is around 1,000 lbs. The only tractor I've towed so far on the trailer is 3,000 lbs. But in the summertime I'll be towing some of the bigger tractors to the tractor pull, in the 7,000 lb range or less.
    I took a guess what trailer size you pulled.
    515 of 571 I towed 3500 lbs 3000 miles by mike77000 Dec 30, 2000 (12:51 am)
    I towed a trailer with my Tundra from NY to LA and kept the speed over 75 in the rural areas. In some places I hit 100 without any problems. The truck is strong and stable. In the rockies I could hold 65 up any mountain on I70.

Since I didn't know about this chat line untl this month I just read this Mike - are you kidding or what? If you actually did that even with out getting a ticket , I'm sure glad I was way down in Texas at the time
  • tginoctginoc Member Posts: 1
    I've been told by the "guys" in Salisbury, Maryland that Toyota does NOT make a Tundra 4x4, regular cab, long bed any longer. They could only find them in the 2000 model year. Also, they wanted to charge me $23,200 for the truck and another $300 to bring it in from WV. hats up with this? Are these guys serious or just morons that don't know what they are selling?

I like the TRD 4x4... but the extended cab back seat room is VERY limited and I want a FULL SIZE BED.... not that short bed. Had that with a Z71 Chewy and could never haul that much with it.

Can someone set my record straight please?

Thank you!

TGinOC
    According to edmunds, they dropped it. However, I have a 2001 Tundra brochure that has it in there. Kelly Blue Book says there is one, too.

I have only seen one ever in existence and it was a 2000 model.

I agree with you wanting a regular cab longbed because that is what I got.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    After a long absence from the Tundra topics I'm going to give it another try. I stopped posting in the Tundra topics because of the personal attacks and general level of silliness that used to abound here. From reading the last month's worth of posts, I can see a dramatic improvement.

Now Ken, you have an interesting question that people are missing the particular problem you have. The Tundra is a fantastic tow vehicle and requires nothing more than a hitch and wiring added to it in order to get up to its capacity. There are no options for different rear end ratios and the transmission cooler is standard.

The problem you have is payload with a 5th wheel. Unlike conventional trailers, you put a huge amount of weight on the rear axle. This counts against your payload capacity. Typical tongue weight on a 5000 pound trailer is 350 to 500 pounds and that doesn't hurt you much with a 1500 (roughly) pound payload rating.

With the 5th wheel, your "tongue" weight can easily exceed 1000 pounds. This means that you can't have more than 500 pounds worth of people and gear in the truck. This is why most 5th wheel trailers are hauled with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck which Toyota does not make.

I currently tow a 4200 pound boat and am very pleased with how it handles. Braking is solid, sway is minimal and acceleration is great. I'd be a bit leery about a 5th wheel on it though unless I took it to a company who could modify the thing to handle it.
    Welcome back - its good to have a Toyota salespersons perspective on some of these questions.

What about Toyota dropping the 4x4 reg cab long bed? Both people who bought them want to know (lol). Are they coming out with a X-cab long bed? Toyota could sell maybe 10 of those per year (if they came with a $6,000 rebate).
  • homey7homey7 Member Posts: 5
    I agree that sometimes thingss get silly on these boards, but we'll let that be.
    I was wondering if you know of Toyota's plans for 2002 Tundras. Will a Access Cab long bed be available? Will we be able to get Sequoia options like sunroof, compass, outside temp, and heated mirrors?
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    I miss the utility of having a truck, so I am thinking about getting a Tundra later this year. I love the look, feel, quality, and ride of the Tundra. I believe it is the best truck out there for me (I am not comfortable with large trucks...too unwieldy). My problem is whether I should get a 4x4 with TRD package or not. Does the 4x4 w/TRD have MUCH better traction than a 2-wheel drive? Is the TRD worth getting also? I like vehicles that handle well and so I was leaning towards a 2-wheel drive (I need a truck, so please don't tell me to buy a sports car), but my boyfriend recommends a 4x4. I have driven both for short test drives and they seem to have the same acceleration. The 2-wheel drive handles a bit better than the 4x4, so I wanted to know whether it was worth the decreased handling ability to get the security of 4-wheel drive. I live in the Southeast. The roads are crappy and the people down here can't drive when the weather is bad (Yes, I am from the North and I don't know why the milk and bread disappears so quickly when the weather people mention the word snow :) ).

I currently own a 2001 BMW 330ci and I have owned a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T which I enjoyed driving, it handled very well for a truck. Unfortunately, the truck had a few quality issues and one very big towing issue. Dodge offered a Dakota R/T buyback because of the towing discrepancy (being told your truck can tow 6400 lbs and then finding out that it is only rated for 2000 lbs is a pretty big surprise). Anyways, I enjoy vehicles that handle well. So now you know how much I value handling. I would like the security that a 4x4 offers even though I would use it only about 4 or 5 times a year. I am one of those people who buy a feature "just in case". Is the 4x4 worth the tradeoff? Is the 4x4 worth the $3000 difference?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    I would go for the 4X4. I own a SR5 access cab 4wd and I love it. I did not opt for the offroad suspension. A friend of mine has the same truck with TRD suspension. When I rode in it - I was amazed - I could tell very little difference in ride. I think that the Bilstein shocks and progressive wound front springs help the handling. If I were you - I would drive both.

I also opted for the ABS. It works great! All my stops are straight and well controlled regardless of the road conditions.

The 4WD in combination with the ABS make the Tundra an amazingly competent snow vehicle. You will be glad you have it the first time it snows. 4WD trucks also have better resale.

A full size pickup will never handle as well as your beemer of course, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the Tundra.
  • toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    I have the TRD LTD 4X4 with ABS, bedliner, bedbars, trailer hitch, leather, woodgrain. The best handling vehicle I've owned, (other than a motorcycle),is a 1997 Honda Accord. NO truck is anywhere near that, especially on a banked freeway curve or a twisty, hilly country road. The Tundra with TRD has progressive-rate front springs which ride gently for the first part of travel and get very stiff for the last part of travel. These are similiar to aftermarket off-road springs available for most trucks. The handling provided by Bilstein shocks is a gentle ride when confronted with smooth bumps or undulations and a very damped, (stiff), ride over sharp bumps. This combines for a smooth ride on the highway, and a smooth ride at high speeds, (25 mph), over ditches or very harsh terrain. If you ever go off-road, the Tundra TRD is already equipped with a tuned suspension which will make it ride better than any similiar stock vehicle. How does that translate to the highway? If you enter a curve gently the TRD will lean and appear to have too soft suspension to handle quickly, but if you get more agressive the truck doesn't lean as much because of the design of the Bilstein's. Read about those shocks to understand why that is true. The non-TRD Tundra doesn't have progressive rate springs or Bilstein's and though the two have similiar ride, the handling is quite different.
    Sorry about the delay in responding. I must have goofed on the subscription function.

As far as I know, the 2002 will be pretty much unchanged. Current rumor is that we will have a second, more powerful V8 coming within the next two years but I have no details. I'll post them here when I lean more.

I also suspect we will have a double cab but that is only a guess and not something I've heard from official sources. I would doubt we will get a longer frame before the new engine is out.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Tginoc, they do build a 4x4 Regular cab Tundra. I have sold 4 of them since 2001 models were built so far. I order build them for folks and they arrive within about 90 days. It can be done.

Dianne
    (the same Dianne with tundrasolutions.com)
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    I have a question about the Tundra's stainless steel exhaust. How come it rusts? I do know about the different grades of stainless. A stainless with a grade such as 430, is magnetic and will rust. A 304 grade is not magnetic and won't rust. Does the Tundra have the higher grade stainless? Mine is rusting, but I don't blame it for all the salt and water it gets hit with. For a comparison, I looked at a brand new 2001 Ford F-250 dually at the local Ford dealer today. It had a nice price tag of $41,900. I looked at the exhaust and it was rusting all over. Just wondering.
  • amyg1amyg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have tentatively worked out a deal to purchase a 2000 Tundra V8 4x4 with 6,000 miles for $24,300.00. This is more than Edmunds guide says I should pay but significantly less than the prices I am seeing in the classifieds. What do you think of the price? I am also trading in a 1990 4 Runner V4 4x4 with 193,000 miles and significant rust. I just had to put $1000 in it to replace the rear brake line. The same dealer wants to give me $900.00 as trade in on the Tundra. This is less than Edmunds trade-in amount when I entered info on the poor condition and high miles. What do you think of the trade-in amount? I am signing papers on Wednesday and would appreciate feedback from anybody before then. amyg1
  • duckcallerduckcaller Member Posts: 107
    I traded a 1990 4Runner with 98,000 miles on it for a 2000 Tundra - they gave me 7,000 on the trade in, but my 4Runner was a V6, loaded and in perfect condition. I "negotiated" (if you can call it that) a final price of 28,750 for my 2000 Tundra V8 Limited 4x4 with a small handful of options. Tundras just don't have a lot of negotiating room because the novelty is still there.

900 dollars seems low to me unless the 4Runner is in terrible shape - though you did say "V-4" and I'd assume it was a 4x2. 24,300 seems to be a reasonable (not great) price on the Tundra IF it's free of all dings, scratches, etc... that is, IF it looks like new.

900 dollars is not worth messing around with the dealer over (in terms of a monthly payment). You could certainly do better selling it yourself - take your time and somebody would probably give you more.

I'd say close the deal on the Tundra and sell the 4Runner yourself.
  • justthetruthjustthetruth Member Posts: 6
    I agree with duckcaller -- selling yourself will always net you more, but it sounds like he lowballed you even more than normal. Kelley book trade-in value ought to be at least $2000. If you can't get him up, sell it yourself.

However, look around and see if you can still find a NEW 2000 Tundra. I just bought a new 2000 V8 4x4 Tundra LTD for $26.5K (MSRP $31.2K). I just made him an offer assuming $2200 depreciation ($1500 per year) taken from invoice price (approx $28K).

For some good car buying/selling advice, visit www.fightingchance.com
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Was over at the Toyota dealer this morning getting a refund on my 75,000 mile warranty policy and was in the business offfice talking to the accountants. I told them I did not want to trade my Tundra off for a larger truck but it would not pull a reasonable size trailer (7000#). He told me I should have waited because Toyota was coming out with a one-ton diesel this next year. Well this was news to me and I have looked all over this internet for Toyota upgrades and have never found one. Its to late now as I had already taken delivery on a F250 Ford with a V10. Sometime being secretive can also hurt you.
    I don't know if what he told me was true but it sounded good. Keep on trucking.
    The dealer was messing with you. I know that Toyota is developing a larger gas V8 which should be out in about 2 years but have heard nothing about a diesel. I also asked my district manager about a 3/4 ton and he hasn't heard anything about that, but I wouldn't rule it out with the bigger engine.
    From what I have read here on Edmunds many Tundra owners got a better deal than the one you are considering on a new truck. (or so they claim).

If you are financing the deal be careful - the interest rate on a used car (truck) loan will be higher than the rate on a new truck loan. Which means you could pay more for a new one and your payment would be about the same. Based on the way you are being treated I would guess they will also try to screw you on the interest rate.

Why does someone buy a new truck and then trade it in after only 6,000 miles? Always makes me wonder. Was it a lemon? Did it have the shake problem? or maybe the owner could not afford the payments. The only way I would buy a truck with 6,000 miles is if the deal was very good, for the price you are being ask to pay you may as well get a new one.
  • horsegalhorsegal Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a Tundra. I was planning on getting a Ford truck, but my husband (my mechanic) wants me to get a Toyota. I am worried about towing my 2 horse trailer with 2 horses with a Tundra. Have been driving my 3/4 ton Chevy since 1985, but need a new truck now! Most of the time I drive on country roads without towing, but need to tow up to the mountains in summer. Any ideas from horse people?
    The Tundra will pull a 7000 lb load as well as any other 1/2 ton pickup. It sounds like you really wanted a 3/4 ton.
    The Tundra will handle a 2 horse trailer quite well. It isn't a 3/4 ton truck and shouldn't be used for one but I suspect your total trailer weight should come in under 5000 pounds and the 1/2 ton Tundra will handle that with no problems. The Tundra should also be much more comfortable during your normal driving without the trailer.
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    I really wanted a Tundra and bought one, but what I really needed was a 3/4 or 1 ton you are right. I loved the Tundra because of the smooth engine quiet and comfortable ride and no maintenance problems. But GVCR was 11,800 lbs and right now I am bumping 14,500 lbs and I decided there wasn't any use in destroying a perfectly good truck by overloading and burning it out. Pleasant dreams to all and to all a good night. Woops is not XMAS yet.
  • jumpmaster82jumpmaster82 Member Posts: 8
    Over 500 posts- wow... I am looking to buy a '01 Tundra 4x4 SR5 with convenience package. Some one back me up, or set me straight. I don't plan on towing much or hauling tons of stuff. Just your normal day to day driving to work and weekend homeowner's chores. TRD package worth anything? Am I going down the right path? Tundra owners let me know and tell me what sold you! Other sites out there to help?
    I personally like the TRD package, even if you are not doing any off roading. I lust think you get better tires and shocks, plus the fog lights are nice.

I'll give you one other site to check out but a word of caution is in order. www.tundrasolutions.com is a great source for Tundra owners and shoppers. There are hundreds of people who post there who are very happy with their trucks. There are a few who are not. Even some of the happy ones have had a few problems. This site is a resource for Tundra owners to resolve some of those problems.
  • markg92markg92 Member Posts: 21
    You'll be happy with any of the 1/2 tons out there, at least initially. If you are concerned about your truck lasting more than 3 years, most discussion groups place Dodge dead last, followed in order by GM, and Ford, with Toyota at the top. I've owned them all and I agree. Buy yourself a Tundra TRD -- you'll be very happy with it.
  • toddstocktoddstock Member Posts: 268
    I bought a brand new 2000 Tundra 4x4 V-8 Access Cab... Has bedliner, tape and cd player, running boards, the alloy wheels, automatic everything, sliding rear window, upgraded battery,heater.... Doesnt have the TRD... I traded in my 1999 Honda Odyssey with 30k on it for 25,800... I only paid 26,500 for it in 99, but I paid the full MSRP of 29,500 for the truck.. Think that was a good deal? I am very happy with it... I have 900 miles on it and I got almost 19mpg... Does anyone that has gotten a bed cover for it have any recommendation's... Not sure if I should go hard or soft, or what brand to get... Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.. Also, wanted to get a bug guard for it, but the toyota one looks really crappy on it... Anyone find a bug guard you like that look's good on it? TIA
  • lennymandolennymando Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 5 speed v6 Tundra access cab. Anyone have one? Happy? How many miles per gallon?
    I would suggest getting the V8 auto. The price difference in the two trucks is not that much, the resale will be better, and if you later decide you need more payload/towing capacity - you will be set.

The V8 runs like a watch, is torquey and runs like a bat out of He**. You will not be disappointed.
    "I am considering buying a 5 speed v6 Tundra access cab. Anyone have one? Happy? How many miles per gallon?"

I have a 5 speed regular cab. It averages between 16 to 20 miles to a gallon. It averages 11.5 to 13.8 when towing my camping trailer. The price difference is close between the V6 and the V8 access cab models as bamatundra said above. However, if you want the manual, I would get the V6. If you plan to tow(over 4800 lbs.)in the future, I would spend the extra money and get the V8. However, if extreme towing is not in your future, I would get the V6. You may have a slight problem in finding one though. My V6 model was a no-brainer when I bought mine in July 99. I paid 16,300 for it.