Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Exactly what is your point beyond badgering? My comment was not intended to denigrate the Subaru or even discuss it. I was simply pointing out that in snow, a high ground clearance is a benefit. Do you have something to add here? Do you dispute this?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Didn't accuse you of denigrating the Subaru. And IF you were simply pointing out that high ground clearance is a benefit, you would not have been exaggerating it against "any full sized truck."

I would have nothing to add here, if not for disputing your perpetuation of the 11 inch ground clearance myth, which by the way, Tundra does NOT have.
    According to Toyota's literature, it does. Every manufacturer uses front ground clearance numbers in its specs. Don't ask me why, I don't make those decisions. The Toyota Tundra does have 11 inches in the front. Was it your point that the Subaru has more than the Tundra?
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    are the 265's the width of the tires?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Check out

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

Dimension

Tire A: 265/75 R 16

10.43" (265.00mm) width

31.65" (803.90mm) height

Tire B: 285/75 R 16

11.22" (285.00mm) width

32.83" (833.90mm) height

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >Every manufacturer uses front ground clearance numbers in its specs. Don't ask me why, I don't make those decisions.<

They sure DON'T. And you know it. Stop being a cop-out.
    thanks.. so when I see 265 on the side of the tire it is the width..

but on the chart you posted the height is different from each other even though they are both 75.. I'm guessing the 75 is the height..

obviously I'm an expert on tires.. "yeah they're those round black things in the bottom" ;)
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    the numbers on the side of the tires are the metric way of measuring tire size.Take the 265 75 16 LT tire: the 265 is the tire width in mm, the 75 is the aspect ratio of the sidewall to tread width, the 16 is the rim size,and the LT is light truck. To figure out the tire size apply this formula.

((tread width x aspect ratio) / 25.4) x 2 + rim size = tire height.

in this example ((265 x .75)/25.4) x 2 + 16 =31.65"

hope this helps and does not confuse you to much
    thanks...

I was just wondering if I could get wider tires (yes for looks) when the time comes that I need them to be replaced...
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Quad knows the Tundra has 3" more ground clearance. He is just a little bit insecure about it. The Tundra easily outclassed the Chev in offroad performance when tested by Truck Trend. The Chev was equipped with limited slip and STILL lost.

On top of ground clearance the Tundra has by far the best brakes. Truck Trend tested the Tundra loaded with 1350 lb. and it STILL outbraked the EMPTY Chevy. I think Chev equipped their truck with Chevette brakes.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    The Tundra still can't straddle a tree stump with a height that matches Toyota's ground clearance claims and YOU know it! The difference in ground clearance between the Chevy and Tundra is less than 1". Toyota doesn't care where they measure the G.C. of the Tundra from as long as it exceeds it's competitor's claims! To everyone who is confused about this, the proper spot to measure is the lowest point of the truck excluding the tires (hint; it's usually the rear differential housing). Not the transfer case which rides above the rear axle. Next Toyota will be measuring it from bottom of the back bumper !
    And Edmund's Fullsize truck comparison concludes the Tundra is the worst fullsize truck for offroad use. And I agree(no LSD, skid plates bolted to the trans case). Bama; go straddle a 10.5" tree stump in your Tundra driving about 15mph and tell us all what happens! Or do you not trust Toyota's GC claim?
    You just need to go to Ford, Dodge, or Chevy's website and do a compare. Even they admit that the Tundra has at least 3" more ground clearance. They all measure the same per SAEJ1100. If you don't like it - write the Society of Automotive Engineers a nasty letter. I'm sure they will change their spec immediately.

For the Edmund's off-road test, the Tundra had stock suspension and the Chev had the off road suspension. Hardly a fair test. Truck Trend tested similarly equipped trucks (except the Chev had limited slip) and the Tundra whupped it. Face the facts.
    Quad - "Just the facts, Maam"

Is Quad a Toyota owner? No. Is this a Tundra owner's topic? I do believe that Quad is doing a little of his own brand of spamming.

Just a little insecure about his low rider Chev truck.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Explain this to me; how can your Tundra straddle a 11" tree stump (which is within Toyota's G.C. claim of 11.2") when you actually have about 10" under your rear diff housing? My truck CAN drive over obstacles within it's manufacturer's measurement. Your's simply can't.
    Don't you see a problem with this?? Maybe for once you could try to explain this discrepancy rather than hiding behind Toyota's questionable numbers!
    And let us know what happens when you nail that 10.5" pine stump with your rear diff! "Oh gee! but Mr. Service Manager that stump was well within Toyota's SAE GC claim! Whaddaya mean I voided my warranty"?
    I'll await your explanation on the hypothetical tree stump situation! And good luck Bama!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Bama's doing that personal attacks again....read post #713. How long can this continue????
    "Bama's doing that personal attacks again..."???

My post #713 was in response to a post in which Quad posted a graphic file of a can of spam. I accused him of spamming. Either he or PF deleted Quad's original post. Hardly a personal attack.

Here is a novel idea - why don't we both do as PF has suggested and start talking ONLY trucks? I'm all for it.
    It is you that's doing the personal attacks. If you look back over the weekend's posts, there was no attacks, no posts, no nothing. As soon as you return....so does the garbage...talk trucks..as soon as someone disagrees with you, here come the personal attacks. It seems that you're the one that doesn't get it.

If you do believe it's spam, to not continue the personal attacks, you should report it. It's not like you haven't done it before. Right? Lastly, who made you the marshall. For you there is no damage control...just more personal attacks. Do you understand the problem? When you have nothing left to argue with...what do you do?

BTW, you address Quad's post yet you ignore hillhound's which is a legitimate question. Why don't you start by answering hillhound's question regarding ground clearance?
    You have a convenient (and erroneous) memory. There were many posts this past weekend including one where Quad called Cliff1 (a Tundra owner) a "Toy Odor" salesman. Pretty juvenile.

If you guys could read you would notice that this is a Tundra owners topic.

As I have said before - let's talk trucks.
    why are you trying to provoke things?

hey could you please check out the tundra vs the big 3 I posted a question back there this past weekend and it wasnt answered maybe you could help me out. It was about a camry and orangish rust color spotting in the paint

Ryan
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    The discoloration could be anything from acid rain to pollen dust. Does it wash off or buff out? Is the paint chiped in those areas? Is the paint still under warranty? Could you use rubbing compound to get rid of it? If not, it may be necessary to take it to a reputable autobody shop. BTW, you may get better information if you post questions about your Camary in a Camary topic vs. a truck topic
    well i first asked if any tundra owners had this problem

Its a 2000 camry 10K miles.

Its my grandpas

The orangish rust colored spots in the paint (they are all over) only come off if you use your nail and rub it off. I tried a few waxes to no avail.

Car sits in the garage most of the time.

Just thought some of you guys may know

its silver also
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I haven't heard about orange colored spots on any Tundras. If your grandpa has hard water it may cause some white or gray spots that are extremely hard to get rid of
    Buy some clay and clay the car. Should remove the rail dust. The finish with a coat of Zaino....give Gramps the full treatment ya know.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I was hoping that people might be wise enough to IGNORE things that annoy them and NOT respond. Post #713 was CLOSE, but I decided to leave it up in the hope that people would let it pass. (an act of purest optimism on my part) It didn't seem like that big a deal. But I forgot... apparently nobody lets go around here...

Well a word to the wise... LET GO

If you have a personal beef with another user, we don't need to see it on the message board.

Pretty simple really...

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Yea right he wont let me wax it. He uses this toyota stuff which is pretty darn good stuff i must say.
    of the raildust now did it? So what now? Clay it and wax it. Simple. Go and do it when he's taking his afternoon nap. He won't even notice that you did it. Or suggest he take it back to the Toyota dealer. Good luck on having them clay the car.
    He has yet to wax his car.

Take it when he takes his nap? Ok thats never.

How can it be rail dust when it didnt come by train?
    reread my post.

You state that he has yet to wax his car. Well, you know that he should so go ahead and do it for him.

You state take it when he takes a nap...never. Well do it while he's sleeping...cause I know he does that.

Maybe it's not rail dust, but whatever it is that comes off with your finger nail....will also come off easier with the clay than going around the whole car with your finger nail.

Good luck on this one now.

If you have a response, take it to your "WORKING SITE" versus your "NON-WORKING SITE "as we don't want to be reminded by the host to stay on topic.
    its kinda on topic its about a toyota

more on topic than most here
  • simetrasimetra Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchase of a Sequoia, so pardon my posting here, but that BB is currently discussing paint colors and heated seats and nobody seems to have taken theirs off road. Since (as I understand it) the Seq is basically similar to the Tundra, I thought perhaps some of y'all could help.

Has anyone here done extensive, muddy (think Alabama river bottom) off-road time in their Tundra? If so, did it handle well? Did the wet mud create any mechanical or electric problems? Any other comments?

I need the space of the SUV, but I also go off road a lot during deer season. No one seems to take their SUV's off road much, so any info y'all can give would be helpful.

thanks

MY
    The 4WD systems on the Sequoia and Tundra are completely different. There is a member on the Sequoia topic who has done extensive off roading in his Sequoia. His user name is slickrock and he has posted on the Sequoia topic and I think he chimed in on the "How Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Systems Work" as well. That last topic may also help you as well.
  • bigduke6bigduke6 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Toyota will introduce a full four door version of the Tundra soon? I am ready to look at the Tundra, but would be willing to wait a year for a "Super Crew" Tundra.
    Thanks.
    BD6
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I would not start getting excited about a crew cab Tundra. Toyota needs to concentrate on important combinations like extended-cab long beds and more heavy duty versions which will probably happen in 2010.

Toyota also needs to concentrate into making a comfortable extended cab. I bought a regular cab because the extended cab is uncomfortable and no long bed attached. With the present wheelbase, a crew cab will not work.

The T-100 had a nice extended cab and it was a smaller truck. It was comfortable to ride in.

I wish Toyota stop making those Sequeoias and concentrate on the Tundra line.
    as they make more profit on the Sequoias.
    This is true!
    A longer wheel base is in the works for the 2004 model year. We will have a crew cab with 6 foot bed at that point. I don't know what other configurations will become available on that frame.
  • paradelaparadela Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 Tundra SR5 extended cab v8 yesterday; (traded in a 2000 Ford F150 extended cab 4dr 4.2L V6)

So far I am very impressed by the Tundra's ride, smooth (and powerful) engine, and how quiet it is. Also, it's much better at maneuvering into tight parking spaces (than the F150).

The cabin is smaller than the F150 but personally I don't mind. Three (small to average people) could sit in the front seat because of the great middle storage bin which folds up to allow a 3rd front passenger. Seats are comfortable and firm.

My only initial concern is the lack of ABS. Minor beefs are the lack of factory keyless entry (would probably cost Toyota $30 to add it), and the tiny storage space under the rear seat.
    How would the crew cab 4 door impact the hauling/towing capacityof the tundra? Do hope they beef up the frame and suspension before pursuing this configuration.
    I understand your suspension question and obviously, if they add weight to the vehicle, they will need to use properly matched suspension components. What I don't understand is your question on the frame. You seem to imply that the frame is not as strong as needed. Did I just read something into your post that you didn't intend?
    to be changed. Not saying that the current one is not strong enough to support the extra load. Another question is will they be offering a larger engine as an option since Nissan is around the corner with their full size and the 5.5l?
    Its on the way. No details on size or when, but it is coming.
  • andyr4andyr4 Member Posts: 3
    I read somewhere that a "Durango-sized" suv off of the Tundra platform was in the "advanced prototype stages." My guess would be that this is the new 4runner, but I read that the new 4runner would once again be off of the Tacoma platform. Who knows anything about this? Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the 2002 4runner? Thanks.
    The 2002 will be unchanged, but there is a new Runner coming out this winter. I don't know if it will be a 2002.5 or a 2003. It will be larger with an optional 3rd seat and V8 engine. As of yet, those are all the details I know.
  • wmunson1wmunson1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the best thing to use to remove paint used for highway striping. I picked it up on the tires, mudflaps and wheelwells?
    n/m
  • gaylecvgaylecv Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a 2001 Tundra with the off-road package. Is this package suitable for everyday normal street driving? Does anyone know what the differences are in the suspensions?
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a '02 Tundra this week. Very happy with it so far. Has anyone else bought the '02 yet and have you heard of any problems?
    Just a suggestion, try tundrasolutions.com for answers to your question. The owners there don't live in denial. Good luck with your truck....
    Welcome to the club!

Which one did you get?
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    Hey Guys. I appreciate the advice. I got the Limited Edition. Leather, Security system, chrome tube steps, TRD Package, Thunder Gray Metallic. I plan to have it detailed. (Just to put my personal touch on it)
    The only two things that bothered me were that things I saw on the internet and the dealers that I talked to led me to believe that limited slip differential and ABS and daytime running lights would be standard on the LE'02's. That is why I waited. I could have had the same truck in '01. Has anyone else ran into this?