Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    If you really have to have LS - you can have the dealer install a TRD LS and it will have the same 5yr, 60K warranty as the rest of the powertrain.

I wanted LS, but after owning my truck two years, have never missed it. I am glad I got the truck without the additional expense of LS. I just put it in 4WD when I feel I need additional traction. If your truck is 2WD, then LS would be an advantage.

I didn't hear that ABS and daytime running lights would become standard, so that is a surprise to me.
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone been able to find a hitch receiver cover that has a light in it for the Tundra's? I have seen them on the Dodge, Chevy, and Fords but not for the Toy's.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    My buddy just bought "brake lite" hitch reciever cover for his Tundra at Walmart for $12.00. Since I've had my F-150 rammed by mini-vans several times I leave the "impaler" on at all times.
    Hey, that's a good idea but the first day I do that I would run into it with my shin. Thanks for the info. What kind of '02 Toy are you lookin' for?
  • bufftombufftom Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2000 tundra until Sept 4 2001. I was broad sided by a fully loaded Semi truck and lived to tell about it. Truck is totaled, and I fully intend to go back to the dealer and buy another. This truck is fantastic. Event though it does not look as good as the big 3 production trucks, I believe this truck will last many years and hundreds of thousands of mile without any/many problems. Ford has had brake problems, Chewy, small transmissions and Dodge major suspension, brake and axle problems.

Tundra is the way to go.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    What MPG diff. is there between the 2 and 4 wheel drive Tundras ? (assuming V8, Sr5, Auto). Any ideas ? the window sticker claims 14-17 for the 4x4, and 15-19 for the 2x4. Is this accurate ? I will use this truck mostly on the highway, with some occasional towing. I plan to buy a new 2002 with limited slip option. Should I spring the extra money and get the 4x4 ?? I live in Ohio, and deal with snow, but want to avoid the MPG penalty of more weight and friction.
    Any thoughts ??? Will the LS do well in snow ? (I have never owned a LS differential). Thanks in advance ! By the way, here in Ohio, the Limited Slip option is priced on the sticker at $ 275.00. That seems reasonable to me.
    I've had my '02 for 2 weeks. Went on a 300 mile trip last weekend and got 17 MPG. It is a Limited Edition with TRD package. I wanted to get the Limited Slip Differential but the dealer told me they needed a 4 month lead time.
    The LS and ABS/daytime running lights were supposed to be standard on the '02 LEs (Or so I was led to believe). Other than that, Lovin' the Tundra. That thing will fly. I had an '89 'yota 4X4. Trying to get used to taking $25 to fill up versus $15.
    Has anyone heard of or using the Lubrication Engineers engine oil? It is supposed to be an extended run oil that is a blend of synthetic and parrafin bases.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    You may want to look into Mobil 1 motor oil

Good stuff
    FWIW, I put Mobil 1 in my Ranger 4.0 and gained about 1 mpg, as near as I can tell (using 5-30, as recommended by Ford). My regular highway commute at a steady 65 MPH went from 18.7 to 19.7 MPG, almost immediatley. Of course, I realize other factors are invovled. But I think the synthetics really shine on reducing friction ( i.e. INCREASING MPG) when the engine is COLD at startup and early running.) JMHO. Good luck with your Tundra. I am sure your MPG will get a lot better at a few thousand break in miles. They are indeed beautifully made trucks. I can't BLEIEVE HOW QUIET they are !! Like a Cadillac !!! Very nice to drive on the highway ! I plan to buy an 02 soon myself, if I can get somebody to buy my Ranger. It is a tough sell !!! I depreciates too fast ! Mercy !!!
    I know I saw a post of someone having a problem with the drivers seat belt clicking. Who was it and what did you do to stop it? Mine started today.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    My 2000 Limited 4x4 V8 gets 16.5 on a routine basis with a mix of back roads and highways. I recently got my best tank at 18.6 on a highway trip. The 4x2 weighs less and gets better mileage.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I've average 18.6 mpg and gotten as high as 19.4 mpg on the highway with my 4x4 Tundra. On a flat highway, your trucks mileage is predicated on aerodynamic drag more than extra weight. The faster you go the more drag you create. At speed above 65 mph your gas mileage starts to decrease dramatically. Slow down and save $$$$!
    I have gotten as high as 19.5 mpg on my 4X4 V8 Tundra. This was on a trip to Mt. St. Helens which included a 3000 ft. climb. For most of the trip, I was doing 75 mph. This was during the summer. I have found that running the oxygenated fuel during the winter hurts gas mileage.

I keep all four of my tires inflated to 35 psi. I also suspect that running Mobil 1 5W-30 helps my mileage. I can't be sure because I have run synthetic since it was new. I have also found that gas mileage improves as it breaks in. I had about 5000 mi. on my Tundra prior to this trip. I might also add that my 72yr old father in law rode in the back seat for 150 mi without a complaint. My daughter who was in the front just moved the seat up.

I have run nothing but the cheapest regular gas I can find since new and have never had a problem with pinging. I think it is a waste of money to run anything else.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Too funny. A 4x4 gets better mileage than a 4x2? Laying it on kinda thick dontcha think...you believe people are that dumb?
    Remember the topic! Since you own a Hyundai Shakerado that has been in the shop over four months, I suggest you post to the Chevy Lemons topic.
  • toddstocktoddstock Member Posts: 268
    the Chevy owners just feel threatened by Toyotas.. That is the only reason why I can see someone wasting their time posting on a topic in which they really have nothing to do with...

The topic says Toyota Tundra Owners: Rate Your Truck

We get a Chevy owner on here posting... What a life he must live... I think I will go waste my life away and go read about the piece of garbage Chevys!!! NOT!!!
  • 19491949 Member Posts: 59
    If you're a Texas Tundra owner, you're invited to come over to http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=61824#post61824

and join those of us that are organizing a Texas thread at Tundra Solutions.Com

PLEASE leave the bashing here because there is ZERO bashing of any kind at TS.COM. I love Edmunds and will continue to visit here, but these bash-a-thon soap operas get old. Anyway, take off the gloves, wipe the blood off your face and join some great folks for Tundra info over at the new Texas thread. We're also planning on a get-together at Bastrop State Park (Texas) on 10/27. Thanks and have a good wknd!!!

Has anyone tried leaving the tailgate down to decrease drag and improve MPG? The tonneau covers may help also. Just a thought!!!!!!!!! I'm sure someone has tried it.
    putting the tailgate down really doesn't do anything for gas mileage... Regarding the Tonneau Covers, some people will tell you it doesn't do anything, some say it does....
    You see anyone on topic including yourself and the other troll? Don't think so. ROTFLMFAO!!!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I've got to hand it to you. Keeping your sense of humor has got to be hard after what you've been through with that POS Silverado! Hopefully, the worst is behind you and it won't break down again for awhile. In the meantime, your jabs and heckling are turning potential Silverado buyers into Tundra owners. Maybe that's your intent?
    Ya think so? Sales figures apparently don't agree with ya? So what else is new?
    the best 1/2 ton truck ever made... The quality built into my Tundra imo, surpasses any 1/2 ton out there today...

Can't say enough about the crash test that I witnessed with my own 2 eyes, and must say that out of the 4 trucks tested, the Tundra was the only one in which the occupants head was protected completely... It didn't flail downward beyond the airbag, and I was impressed by it's performance....
  • 1geezer1geezer Member Posts: 29
    I've had my Tundra 4x2 V8 almost 4 months; and have 8300 miles on it. The best mileage so far is 20.4 (459 miles on 22.5 gallons). I filled up in Washington, drove through central Oregon at 55-60 mph (speed limit 55) for 300 miles and then kicked it up to 75+ in California. Would easily have been 21-22 MPG if I stayed at 55 mph. My overall average MPG is about 16.
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Re the LSD. I have ordered a Tundra SR5, 4 x4, V8 with LSD; however, for some reason the availability of it depends on which region in the country you are located. For example, I live in Maine (Region 17 I am told) and for some dumb reason Toyota does not normally ship any Tundras with LSD to that region. Can't believe it, especially with Maine winters. Used to live outside Washington, DC in Northern Virginia. called a dealership there. They said they could order it without any problem. I'll get it in 60 days or less. Go figure. By the way, from my friends with Tundras I think MPG really is not a factor re 4 x 2 vs a 4 x 4.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Actually, the LSD is very easy to get down here in VA. We get a large number of SR5s with this. For some odd reason, we haven't received any Limiteds, nor SR5s with ABS and LSD, but the LSD itself is normal here. I checked the Colorado region and every Tundra is coming with LSD and most with ABS as well.

Any dealership can order them with whatever you want. It generally takes 6 to 8 weeks to arrive if your dealership is willing to do it.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Here are two prior Ford and Chevy guys who actually know what they're talking about and do some heavy towing. Anybody who says Toyotas can't be worked has their head in the sand.

Obyone, I'd appreciate an intelligent argument from you for once. Let's see you rebuke those guys. Looks like you're out of your league...
    Exactly what point are you trying to make? Did you read up on the poster's bio that made post #15? Try reading it. Nothing much to answer regarding his posts as he sounds like a Toyota salesman. Why would anyone who owns a 2000 Tundra be also shopping for one? Of course unless it was a vibrating Tundra.

Post #18 is by Dogster who had stated that he sold his T100 for $20,000 to a guy who loves it. If you read anymore of his posts, you would notice his tendencies to stretch the truth. Additionally, what's the big deal about his towing? The weight of his loaded trailer came in at 6050#, well within the Tundras rated 7200#. The only people that would consider that heavy duty trailering would be someone that owned a mini pickup like a Tacoma.

Again, Pluto, what's your point? By the way dude, you never answered my question about the ONE STAR SIDE IMPACT RATING OF YOUR TACOMA. Is it still rated one star, maybe you should weld some rebars or Ibeams to the doors.
    I was told by a dealer here in Ohio that LSD is more available in the midwest and South due to the assumption that Toyota assumes most Northern buyers will get 4x4's anyways, so LSD is less of a priority. Wheether this makes sense ? Perhaps from a "marketing" viewpoint it does. ?????? So, perhaps a Northern buyer needs to come to the South to buy one with LSD, then drive it home.
    The 3 new 2002 tundras I have seen in Ohio (one 2x4 and two 4x4's) all had LSD as options for 275.00 sticker.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I'm just curious why anyone would go through the hassle of trying to get the exhaust pipes to exit straight out the back? I've seen it on some trucks but I've never crawled underneath to look at how it was done. All the dual exhaust conversions I've seen on the Tundra exit either side just behind the rear wheels. Seems like a waste of manpower, tubing and money for nothing more than a "look."

BTW-The owner of the shop that did my truck owns and is clearly a Chevy guy. He likes all makes though and it shows in his work. He did the work on my Mustang and because of the excellent work he did I went back to him.

Does anyone know how to post a pic on here?
    You are the proud owner of possibly the worst '99 Chev pickup ever built (over 4 months in the shop). You are not a Tundra owner.

Now you are posting about Tacomas. Could you please attempt to stay on topic? Thanks.
    According to the omniscient and infallible obyone, anybody who says a good thing about a Toyota must be lying or stretching the truth.

I don't remember being asked any questions about a one star rating. If that's what my Truck has, so be it. I would still rather have a go-fourwheeling-anywhere workhorse of a truck that keeps going forever, refusing to die than your full size Chev in the shop.

Just curious, how much towing did you do before your truck rolled over and died on you?

Hey, I'll take a truck that can only do light towing over one that does NO towing, MUAHAHAHAAA!

Seems to me like the Tundra owners are just as happy with their trucks as the Tacoma owners. Maybe you're so sour because of buyer's remorse.
    Was anyone writing to you or asked for your off topic opinion? Reply when asked to dude. Other than that, what relevance has your post got to do with the topic? What a lamer.

pluto

Your truck will continue to go as you say as long as its not impacted from the side. In which case the truck and you will most likely, and this is according to the NHTSA, have a 26% or greater chance of serious injury. Where a serious injury is considered to be one requiring immediate hospitalization and may be life threatening. Denial won't help you on this one. Continuing to drive your truck knowing this....well that says a lot about you, doesn't it?
    Just a reminder, you are STILL posting about Tacomas in a Tundra topic. Shouldn't you go to a Chevy Lemons topic? You would be quite an expert there. Have a nice day.
    And your never-ending praise for a truck that's already spent 4 months in the shop and received the industry's worst reliability/build quality issues certainly says a lot about you.

Hey Einstein, since you are hooked on safety, here's something to consider. I would be worried sick if my wife and kid were driving in a POS Chevy (like yours) which may break down at any moment, leaving them stranded and at the mercy of others.

If you want to continue your pathetic and comical attempt to bash Tacomas, why not go to the Tacoma boards?
    Again, since you are so hooked on safety, why doesn't the Chevy's pitiful brakes have you concerned? Loaded Tundras outbraking empty Chevys? Amazing, especially considering the Chev has disk brakes on all corners, versus Tundra's rear drums. Wow, yet another wonderful option Toyota doesn't offer yet!

I guess the fact you don't care about brakes also says a lot about you, Mr. Safety.

Amazing you can't see the forest in the trees.
    Pleading for forfeiture already? Just because you're losing the argument?

Quad, you surrender faster than a French general in WWII.

By the way, I estimate that there are more satisfied Tundra owners than Chev owners, based on the numbers I find in the classified ads. Everybody and their brother is unloading their new Chevrolet. Also, during these harder economic times, Toyota is enjoying an INCREASE in its truck sales. The domestics are experiencing a decrease. Yup, it's times like these when people become smarter consumers.
  • lbrosslbross Member Posts: 24
    This board has lost all vestiges of usefullness to me. I've come to this discussion hoping to find comments by Tundra owners about their trucks. If I want to hear Tundra bashing, I'll go to one the many discussions that thrive on it. This is not the place. I'll look elsewhere for information. This inane bickering is ridiculous.
    Unfortunately there are no Tundra topics which aren't continually bashed by a few unhappy Chev owners. I think they feel threatened by a high quality, reliable truck.

When I go to Chev topics, I don't see Tundra owners there bashing Chevs.

It is too bad that this topic couldn't be just Tundra owners rating their trucks. I have suggested that posts remain on topic to no avail. Oh well!

I suggest going to www.tundrasolutions.com for Tundra info without all of the inane bashing.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    i may not have anything to add here, but why are you always antagonizing people......you also state that you don't ever post in a chevy topic, but yet you did so a few days ago. not that your info about ABS was valid, but even so, everyone is entitled to post in any topic. just once, it would be nice to read through a series of posts (whether they be chevy or toyota) without the usual harassment of others.
    thank you in advance.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    What TUNDRA bashing?

You CAN have Tundra info right here. For example, you can talk about the safety recall affecting more than 70,000 2000-2001 Tundras for defective trailer wiring/brake controllers. Or you can talk about the TSB for warping rotors and defective drum brakes. You can talk about the progress Toyota has made addressing past omissions, like limited slip differential, or present omissions, like 4 wheel disc brakes, and towing equipment.

Unfortunately, YOU constantly compare your truck to the Chevy Silverado, which YOU constantly bash in THIS topic because it's the best full size out there, the object of your revile. If you weren't distracted by full size envy, you would be able to stay on topic, rating your Tundra to your hearts content.
    The post I made to the Chev topic was made in an effort to be helpful. The person who I was responding to thanked me for my assistance.

Read some of the posts from non-Tundra owners to this topic. Most of them have nothing to do with the topic and are written purely to antagonize Tundra owners.

I will be the first to admit that I have been extremely critical of Chev pickups. The posts that I made were in the Big3 vs. Tundra topic which was an appropriate place to post. That topic was cancelled because some posters insisted on personal attacks.

If a few non-Tundra owners weren't in here posting bashes, they wouldn't have anything to get their feelings hurt about.

I am like you - I would like to read through a series of posts to this topic without the usual harassment of others.
    I see your point, but why not say it to O.B. also??? I don't get it, only directing it to one part of the conversation...

I must say, I have know complaints with my Tundra... It has never been in the shop, and if it was, you can be darn sure I wouldn't be praising it...

Hope all is well in Truckland...
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    but if the email address isn't avail., then i had no choice but to say it here. Obyone has his email address in view, so i did email him.

to stay on topic though, i do value opinions about the tundra, and i hope at some point in time, that toyota gives the buyer more choices to the configurations.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Anyone heard from Duckshooter lately?
    I hope you are still with us. And I hope everything is alright and you made it through the attack on the Pentagon without a scratch. Let us know.
    What a way to start a new job.

-David
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Thanks for worrying David - as my luck would have it, because of a meeting in another office, I happened to be right at ground zero when the plane hit... though one ring in, one floor up and about 100 feet over. It hit at a slight angle that nearly took the plane directly under our feet. Had my meeting been on the 1st or 2d floors ... well, there'd be one less Tundra owner to post here!

As it was, we were tossed around a bit - felt like the floor was going to collapse under us. Fortunately the whole area where the plane hit was recently renovated and strengthened. Nobody that was in the meeting with me was hurt in the least... everybody got out safely. That area is all gone now from the fire and collapse.

As you can imagine, we're pretty busy right now working on opening a can of wuppass... President Bush stopped by today to rally the bunch of us, but I couldn't get away to see him. We'll give it all we got.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Thank God you are alright. I hadn't seen any posts from you since the attack, and I was praying that all was well with you.

We lost the Tundra vs. Big 3 topic so I was looking for another topic that you might be looking at if you were still with us. Glad I found it, and glad you are alright.

Recent events sure puts those Tundra vs. Silverado debates in perspective.......meaningless.

So get the can opener ready buddy, you got my support.

-David
    You are correct in your last post. It was ALWAYS meaningless. Duckshooter, I'm glad you made it through intact. My deepest sympathy goes out to those that didn't.

Bamatundra and Pluto-

I responded to a challenge posted by Pluto and had not posted in this topic for 8 days prior to that. Can you figure the reason why?

#777 of 796 For some good posts, read #15 and #18 (obyone, that goes for you too) by plutonious Sep 16, 2001 (11:51 am)
    Here are two prior Ford and Chevy guys who actually know what they're talking about and do some heavy towing. Anybody who says Toyotas can't be worked has their head in the sand.

Obyone, I'd appreciate an intelligent argument from you for once. Let's see you rebuke those guys. Looks like you're out of your league...

I could really care less that you drive something less than fullsized OR a truck with a one star sideimpact rating. I wouldn't/couldn't let any family member drive a truck with a one star side impact rating. One of the mechanics at the Chevy dealership was tboned in his Tacoma. He said the only thing that saved his life was the nerf bars. Had it not been for the nerfs, in his opinion, he wouldn't be here today. As it was he suffered severe back injuries and was out of work for 9 months. He now drives a '00 2500 Silverado.

Pluto-
    Don't really care what you post regarding your truck. Just remember that you know about the trucks one star rating. Regardless of my trucks past service record, my concious is clear and we know which truck is safer to be in if there was an accident. Your argument is a moot point. There is no discussion regarding safety issues. IF the NHTSA gave the silverado a one star rating for anything, the truck would be history in a heartbeat. Is there something about safety that you don't understand? Cause I for one don't understand why you continue to drive a truck with that kind of safety rating?
    I seem to notice that Bamatundra is the resident troll. Everything mellowed after that fateful day. Posts here were at a minimum and between Pluto and Bama, another war seemed to have started here. To me, that says a lot about those two.

Test drove a 1500HD, hopefully, Toyota can make something similar. If they do, I'd seriously consider buying one cause by that time I'll have at least 100K miles on my current one.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Glad to hear you're ok after the attacks. I was not aware you were at the Pentagon. Thanks for your service and be safe Duck.