Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    ricwhite I agree completely. I'm inclined to believe that they missed the boat here and should not be fooled into believing that consumers are going to overlook the safety data.

Like i said while acceptable is passable it isn't good enough to go up against the benchmarks like Avalon. It's such a pity because this is a very nice ride. This indicates to me that Hyundai's engineering though it has improved quite a bit is not yet among the best in class.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Hyundai has the Sonata, which does better in the crash tests, if this is a most important factor in the decision to buy one over the other. I don't need the extra size and luxury of the Azera, so I would personally more likely choose the Sonata. The test data doesn't look all that bad though. Perhaps a test next year or thereafter will be up to 5 star standard soon. I know the CTS is a 4 star too. It is not all that bad a rating, and the added weight of the car helps in a real world crash. I was kinda amazed though when I saw the Sonata do better in the test.
    Yes, I agree, the Azera needs some engineering tweaking to get up there in the crash tests with the Avalon. -Loren
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I have been advised that Hyundai is no longer manufacturing the Azera grille without the "H' logo.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    The only area I'm really disappointed with the Azera is crash test results.

The front crash test results were confusing since the NHTSA gave it only "4 stars" after testing it. There was head and leg trauma involved.

I, for one, am not to disappointed that the Azera only got 4 stars. The reason being is that I am not planning to get into an accident and the odds of me getting into a serious one are slight. Not saying that I am not concerned about safety, its just that the one star difference will not be the deciding issue in the decision to buy or not buy the car. Now if it got a one or two star rating then I would pay more attention to it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "Not saying that I am not concerned about safety, its just that the one star difference will not be the deciding issue in the decision to buy or not buy the car."

Good point. People obsess over a one star crash-worthiness rating difference all the while oblivious to the FACT that climbing into and out of the bathtub every day is one of the most dangerous activities they're exposed to.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292

I, for one, am not to disappointed that the Azera only got 4 stars. The reason being is that I am not planning to get into an accident and the odds of me getting into a serious one are slight. Not saying that I am not concerned about safety, its just that the one star difference will not be the deciding issue in the decision to buy or not buy the car. Now if it got a one or two star rating then I would pay more attention to it.

I can respect that opinion. To me, safety is the #1 most important thing on my list, so I differ from you significantly.

What also bothers me, is that there was some deception. The brochure from Hyundai indicated "class leading" safety. Articles from Hyundai states preliminary safety test were very promising and they expected a five-star rating.

I don't think they should print that the Azera has "class-leading" safety when, in fact, IT IS AT THE ABSOLUTE BOTTOM IN ITS CLASS. I leased the car under false pretenses.

Other than safety, however, the Azera is significantly the best automobile I've ever owned -- hugely better than my VW Passat I owned previously.

Okay, Okay, Okay. We're back to the "crash tests are meaningless" debate again.

Yes, the way they test is not "realistic." Yes, the crash tests are way over-rated. Yes, we can walk outside and get smashed by an asteroid. Yes, eating a doughnut might be more dangerous to your health than driving a "4 star" car. etc. etc.

I've gone through those discussions over and over before and I'm very aware how many people downplay the importance of crash tests. There are two realities however for those who DO take them seriously.

1) The Hyundai Azera has the worst crash numbers of any passenger vehicle tested in in 2006. (Read that one a few times to let it sink in)

2) Hyundai deceptively states in their brochures and literature that the Azera has "class-leading" safety, when just the opposite is true.
    Okay, Okay, Okay. We're back to the "crash tests are meaningless" debate again.

I am not saying, or do I think anyone else is either, that crash tests are meaningless. I am just saying its not the end of all in choosing a new car. If I am looking for particular things in a car I will not discount car 'A' that has them for car 'B' that doesn't simply because car 'B' has five stars and car 'A' has four. The safety issues of a car are only part of the big picture.

If being safe was the absolute #1 over riding thing in my life I would forgo getting a car and get a job where I can work from home have my groceries delivered to me and never leave my house.

Now as far as safety is concerned crashwortheness isn't the priority there. I am more concerned with crash avoidance.

Now all that being said the likelihood of me getting into a serious accident are slim. So while I keep safety in mind the fact that it only got 4 stars instead of five (good as opposed to excellent) isn't as a high priority as other things.

The Hyundai Azera has the worst crash numbers of any passenger vehicle tested in in 2006.

Only problem there is that there has to be one car that ranks at the bottom. Even if every car gets a five star rating one has to be the worse.

• wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Sorry, I didn't know about these ratings when we purchased the Azera. I don't know that it would have swayed the decision to the negative.

I've owned other cars that did not do well in crash tests, but handled a accident with no injuries and minimal damage.

Hyundai calls the Safety factors related to the Azera as world class, meaning the number, type and design of the restraints and air bags. Given the types of tests run by the safety agencies and the real-world experiences that people have in accidents, I know there is no definitive way to prove/disprove how well the Azera will do other than having an accident.

I'd rather have the ABS, Brake Force Distribution, Traction Control and other tools to help avoid the accident on my side rather than them being optional as they are on others in this segment.
    When buying our Azera, my wife wanted to view an Aubergine colored Azera. The dealer checked his stock, and then the region and then country and said it appears that the color may no lnger be made.
    A..does anyone have this color?
    B..Has anyone seen one recently on a lot new?

Just Curious
  • areza1areza1 Member Posts: 14
    does anyone know if it would be OK to install an EZ Pass tag (electronic transponder for going through toll booths) in the "black" (tinted?) area behind the rearview mirror?...would/could that "tint" block the signal?

is that some kind of tint? if so, why is this area tinted? and why such a large area? it's much larger than other cars i've seen :confuse:
    My guess is that it won't. If you want to make sure go through a manned manual lane. If the guy (or gal) waves you through you're set to go.

• graycargraycar Member Posts: 11
    I saw 2 at a dealer in Tx yesterday. I personally did not like the color. In the sun it was too purple for me.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Did you get this info from Hyundai USA or elsewhere??
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    My dealer, North County Hyundai, in Carlsbad, CA, had two of them. I thought it looked too black. The color resembles really dark eggplant.
    This tinted area is the rain sensor for your wipers.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    I just got a reply from dreamka4u.com they still have and make the Azera grill without the 'H' for those who are interested.
    The Aubergine color with beige interior is available from HMUSA.
    I would not install the EZ Pass there, the tinted area is for the rain sensor.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    I test drove one here in Maine in that color. It is a purple color.
    dreamka4u.com is the one who emailed me to advise that the grille without the "H" was no longer being produced. They had a few left, in limited colors.
    If you have other information available, I would appreciate it. My Azera is Sage Green.
    http://www.gostudie.com

Open this, then open NF Sonata.

Pictures of 'A' with no 'H' grill and lower body trim.

Send e-mail, they will reply.
    I guess I still don't understand the obsession that some of you have with removing the Hyundai logo and other badging. As I was contemplating a new car I was actively reading the boards for the Avalon, Camry, Civic, and Ridgeline. Not once did I encounter anyone discussing removing badging, buying grills without logos, etc.

Do you also sand the name of the tiremaker off the sidewall?
    Do you also sand the name of the tiremaker off the sidewall?

I don't know about that but you should see them trying to take those M's of their M&M's. :P

• tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    "The Hyundai Azera has the worst crash numbers of any passenger vehicle tested in in 2006. (Read that one a few times to let it sink in.)"

I've read it. It's sunk in, thanks. Problem is, I don't believe it.

Are you saying that the Azera recorded worse crash numbers for injury to driver and passengers than a Chevrolet Aveo? A Hyundai Accent? A Ford Focus ZX3? Are you sure about this? Or are you simply saying it has the worst test numbers IN THE LARGE MIDSIZE SEDAN CLASS?
    Googling this produces the following right away:

1) Forbes combines the data from both major crash test sources, the private IIHS and the federal NHSTA, and says the worst six cars are all priced under $20,000. It also mentions that some luxury offerings have poor scores in at least one category, names three, but doesn't mention the Azera.

2) The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) site, which is singled out by Forbes as the one that's toughest on poor safety performers, actually discusses the Azera by name -- to commend it. They singled out Azera for special praise in side impacts, which it said are the second most important category of injurious crashes. It also asserts that the Ford Crown Victoria "earned the worst structural rating in this group of large cars," a group that included the Azera.

Ricwhite, let me be clear here. I am not disputing the importance of safety in any way, shape or form whatsoever. I'm saying that your facts are flat-out wrong, and not by a small margin. What can you cite to prove otherwise?
    Since this is the current topic here:
    link
    and this one may be of interest, though how they tabulate the data may not be correct in everyones view - see:
    another link
    in alpha. order:
    A-Z
    -Loren
    As long as you try to understand 'WHY' :confuse: the more confused you will be
    Someday, some way you may get an inkling, :shades: but till then you just wouldn't understand even if the explanation was longer than 'War & Piece'
    Logos -- bring 'em on! When I buy a new car, the last negotiation is for a free LOGO hat of that car, or manufacturer. Love that logowear. :shades: Hyundai needs all the help it can get with the top brand cars. Gotta get the name Azera and Hyundai out there. No, no vinyl cladding on the car with a big ad -- not that radical :surprise: A little H or Azera is cool though.

I am pretty impressed by the new stuff from Hyundai. After the shaky beginning, I was had my doubts about all their cars. Then I went with friend on some test drives of their SUV line. In looking over the cars I was amazed to find a lot different car than what they had presented to the customer but a decade ago. Better all the way around. So later on now I have looked at the Azera to Tiburon, and like what I see. I test drove a Tiburon, and it seemed pretty solid. The Sonata and Azera seem to have the market where it comes to content for the bucks. I am 50+ years old, so I have seen it all. The 60's cool cars from GM, Chrysler and Ford, then the not so good cars ( had them too ) of the 70's - 90's, so the first thing which comes to mind is Japan for quality, then are those American makes up closer to Japan, then lastly some make from Korea. It was after seeing the difference between the early years of Hyundai and Kia, and what they produce now, that someone like me which have bought or at least seen many a brand of car will venture into a Hyundai. Getting people to the dealership is gonna be the challenge. The product looks promising indeed. It is just that people my age are so use to Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Datsun(Nissan) and such, that our first place to look is those dealerships. And in all fairness, I will look at the Fords and GMs too. Lots of improvement in the whole industry. Hyundai is just the most impressive turn-around in such a short period of time.
    -Loren
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Hyundai must be enjoying their sales successes of late, but Hyundai still has to "bribe" buyers with liberal rebates. When Hyundai dealers are able to sell at or above MSRP as Honda and Toyota dealers do, the company will have bragging rights. Until then, hemorrhaging profits through rebate losses merely buys sales figures at the expense of the bottom line.
    So basically what you are saying is people are overpaying for Toyota and Honda. To that I agree.

• areza1areza1 Member Posts: 14
    sundevils said: "..As I was contemplating a new car I was actively reading the boards for the Avalon, Camry, Civic, and Ridgeline. Not once did I encounter anyone discussing removing badging, buying grills without logos, etc...."

and on some of the Lexus and BMW boards i frequent, de-badging is discussed all the time...so what's your point? :P
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    It isn't a question for some including myself that de-bandging and removing logos is a sign of not being proud of the vehicle that you are driving. I like the cleaner look of a car with them removed and I for one don't enjoying advertising for a dealership. I love detailing my cars and I find it very frustrating to keep cleaning between all those letters and numbers. There isn't a need for all of them and besides if the car is distinctive enough you know what vehicle it is just by looking at it. Vett, Mustang, Dodge Charger, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and etc. Sorry for the rant! JoeD
    That is fair enough, but to me debadging a car is one step away from creating the Buioyta Benz I saw a while back (a debadged Camry with a MB star on the back and Buicks distinctive holes pasted on the front).

• jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Yeah, but it got your attention, Just Kidding :) JoeD
    Yeah but then again a train wreck also gets my attention. But the Buioyta Benz also get a good laugh.

I'm getting a little tired of all the "you're wrong" talk about the crash test results, so let's get a little specific here.

Part one: Frontal Crash Test Results

It's true that Hyundai Azera has the worst frontal crash results of ANY passenger vehicle in 2006

This includes mini, light, and compact vehicles. The chart linked below includes data on 27 vehicles from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The top of the list includes vehicles that are in the same class as the Hyundai Azera and in the closest competition. At the bottom of the list are a variety of smaller cars including mini, light, and compact vehicles. There is no vehicle I have found that is worse than the Hyundai Azera in ANY class in the passenger division. I have not checked the SUV or Truck classes.

link to NHTSA Frontal Crash Test Numbers

Discussion:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) NEVER front crash tested the Hyundai Azera. Hyundai Corp. gave them their own numbers and the IIHS gave it a rating based on that. Therefore, unfortunately, I discount the reliability of those numbers.

Several people use ridiculous arguments against the NHTSA numbers. Here are some of them:
    1) The NHTSA is totally incompetent. They don't know what they are doing.
    2) The NHTSA haven't upgraded their equipment since the 1960s.
    3) There's a conspiracy within the NHTSA organization against Hyundai and they purposely inflated the numbers to make Hyundai look bad.

Other Arguments:
    1) Crash tests are meaningless since they don't reflect "real world" crashes.
    2) Safety avoidance is much more important than crash worthiness.
    3) If the driver is good, they will never get in an accident.

Yes, I've heard them all, and I don't agree with any of them. (Sorry) Debating those points is like debating a religion or whether the earth is flat.

Part 2: Side Impact Test Results.

Introduction: Hyundai discovered safety flaws in the Azera and made improvements in the structural integrity of the roof and side panels as well as the side air bags. These improvements were reflected in Azeras manufactured in or after April/2006. (Source: IIHS). The side impact results from the IIHS reflect the upgraded Azera.

Link to IIHS Azera Side Impact Test Results

Note: If you have an Azera manufactured prior to April/06, the side impact results would most likely be worse than indicated.

Notice that the "pelvis/leg" area recieve a "poor" for the driver with pelvis fractures likely in a side impact of the magnitude tested.

Final Comments:

They Hyundai Azera has fine accident avoidance features and is truly a well built automobile. However, the crash test results (both frontal and side) obviously show that a lot of improvement is needed to bring the Azera up to the crash safety standards of other car manufacturers. If Hyundai wants to truly claim "world class" safety and compete in the global marketplace, they will need to dramatically improve these crash test numbers for 2007.
    The rebates "bribe" is a manufacturer's way of equalizing production capacity with sales. There are certain economies of scale in building X number of cars in a period. The manufacturer will rebate to dealers and buyers when the vehicles aren't moving quickly enough to allow the capacity to move out through the system.

This whole rebates "bribe" thing is rampant in the industry, even Honda and Toyota have used techniques like buying down financing and lease costs to move inventory.

Hyundai may at some point, as you say, have a vehicle that they can sell at MSRP or over....this too is normally short-lived. Back in Feb of 2001, I ordered a PT Cruiser about a week after dealers started taking orders. People were paying huge dollars over MSRP to get one. I had three buyers ready to pay me a premium when my car was delivered d a few months later. Sold the car about a year and half later for about $500 under what I paid with the car having 17000 miles....dealers were still getting MSRP or close. Fast Forward about 8 months, now production caught up with demand, all of a sudden there are rebates galore.

Bottom line to my story: Even if you have a vehicle that is selling for over sticker, in time the manu will ramp up production or demand will fall to the point of being able to buy at or around invoice.

Hyundai may get there some day as well. In the mean time, I am happy that the Azera was in reasonable supply and it is a great car.
    Are you saying that the Azera recorded worse crash numbers for injury to driver and passengers than a Chevrolet Aveo? A Hyundai Accent? A Ford Focus ZX3? Are you sure about this?

Yes, that is what I'm saying, and yes, I'm am sure about it.
  • phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    It sounds to me like some people are ashamed to be driving a Hyundai, much less one that was bought under the presumption of being a luxury vehicle (which it is, in spades).
    Ricwhite, let me be clear here. I am not disputing the importance of safety in any way, shape or form whatsoever. I'm saying that your facts are flat-out wrong, and not by a small margin. What can you cite to prove otherwise?

My facts are not wrong at all. See my other post.

The Forbes article you mentioned in your report was not clear about one important item: The IIHS NEVER FRONT CRASH TESTED the Hyundai Azera. They used numbers directly from Hyundai. That is why I give the NHSTA more credibility.

Secondly, The IIHS did commend the Azera for its "Acceptable" rating, since most vehicles get a poor because they don't have side air bags. But as a SIDE AIR BAG CAR, the Azera didn't do very well.

Link to IIHS Azera Side Impact Test

Notice the "poor" in the pelvis/leg area for the driver. Both the Avalon and Impala did far better than the Azera.

I'm sorry, but when the test results show likely "head trauma" and "leg injury" in a frontal crash and likely "pelvis facture" in a side impact, I don't feel very safe. If that is "world class" safety then were are all in trouble.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    If you are to use IIHS ratings, you have to use both frontal, side and rear; IIHS has decided to use manfacturer's rating, and that applies to all automakers. IIHS test vehicles with standard features, at least during the first-run.
    If you are to use IIHS ratings, you have to use both frontal, side and rear; IIHS has decided to use manfacturer's rating, and that applies to all automakers. IIHS test vehicles with standard features, at least during the first-run.

Hmm. . .

If you are to use IIHS ratings, you have to use both frontal, side and rear;

No, I don't. Why? I'm not using the frontal crash rating from the IIHS because they NEVER crash tested the front of the Azera. I'll use the NHSTA instead.

IIHS has decided to use manfacturer's rating, and that applies to all automakers.

That is certainly not true. Out of the main cars in the Azera's class only the Azera and the Impala had the manufacturer's numbers used. The Lucerne had a combination of IIHS tests and manufaturer and the rest had just the IIHS tests. ??

The Azera has not been "rear crash" tested yet.
    Ricwhite, I'm not going to address every one of the birdshot pellets you've scattered as evidence. Frankly, I'm not in a position to run my own crash tests and confirm that the Azera is more or less safe than anything else (and as a non-Hyundai owner, incidentally, I don't have a horse in this race). But it jumps out me, just at a common-sense level, that you betray your lack of objectivity in a couple of ways.

1) First, you acknowledge that the automaker made a number of running changes immediately to make the car more crashworthy. Yet you frame this as a negative. How is this evidence that they were irresponsible rather than responsible? Would you prefer that they hadn't improved it?

2) Second, you say: "The IIHS did commend the Azera for its "Acceptable" rating, since most vehicles get a poor because they don't have side air bags. But as a SIDE AIR BAG CAR (emphasis yours), the Azera didn't do very well." English translation: "It's better than most cars in side crashes, but I don't give it any credit because its outstanding level of safety equipment should make it even more superior than it is."

Isn't that simply a value judgment that you've decided not to give Hyundai any credit? What I care about is that a side crash will hurt me less in an Azera than in the majority of cars that DON'T have the side bags. What do I care which technology got them there? And given that side crashes are the #2 injury-causer, why does a bad front score (based on a grand total of one car tested) count overwhelmingly AGAINST the car if a good side score doesn't count FOR it?

At its core, your posts can be read as "I bought Hyundai's vaguely worded brochure hype about 'class-leading safety,' but the crash test scores turned out to be a mixed bag instead (although the automaker moved decisively to improve them at once), so I'm gonna trash the carmaker to anyone who'll listen." Sorry, but I can't escape the impression that your whole series of posts is simply a rant in more elaborate language.

Bottom line: If you don't trust it, sell it.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    Thanks for your insight. Frankly, I am tired of the whole tirade against the Azera. As you said, if you don't like it, sell it. Here is something else to think about:

A total of 3.4% of all injuries presenting to the surgical department was related to the coconut palm. Eighty-five patients fell from the coconut palm, 16 patients had a coconut fruit fall on them, three patients had a coconut palm fall on them and one patient kicked a coconut palm. The majority of patients who were injured by falling from a coconut palm were young (aged 6–25 years). Eleven of the 16 patients struck by falling fruit were under 25 years of age. The majority of injuries sustained were fractures. Patients falling from coconut palms sustained mainly upper limb fractures (60.1% of all fractures) or spinal fractures (16.3%). Patients injured by falling fruit sustained skull or upper limb fractures. All skull fractures occurred in patients under the age of 10 years.

Bottom line: Be careful around coconut palms!! :P
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Tonycd, you nailed it. I think we all are sick of all the whining going on here and the ridiculous reasoning behind it. It is almost as if 'ol RW is trying to build up his nerve to file an equally ridiculous law suit against Hyundai, but deep down even he knows he is tilting at windmills. Give it up Ric.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

phinneaus519

Howdy do, what time is it boys and girls???
    Could you be related to Phineaus T. Bluster, Mayor of Doodyville and friend of Dilly Dally :confuse:

Your friend

B. Bob
    Jim
    Thanks for your reply, but I can't find a way to contact them in English. I don't speak or write in Korean.
    If it is true that the Azera has the worst crash test ratings, how with that affect insurance rates for this model?
    I take it that there are no recalls for the Azera for any problem.
    Hello,

One does realize that 12/12 adjustments covers 'four wheel alignments' and a host of other items?
    The local dealer tried to charge $80 for the four wheel until I told them about the 12/12, they removed the charge without question.

Your welcome