Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• youbeeyoubee Member Posts: 4
    I too have had similar problems with my dealership not being aware of some of the programmable features. I was able to convince them to reprogram the auto matic locks but they were certain there is no programmable feature for the EZ-Out feature.

As I stand nearly 6 feet tall and my wife nearly 5 feet tall, this is something I really need. The steering wheel does move when we take the keys out of the ignition but the seat does not and this is the part I really need to work. With the way it is now, I have to reach in with the keys and turn the car on then hit the appropriate number on the seat settings.

Our car was just purchased in July and is a Azera with the Ultimate package. Can you tell me who would know more about activating this feature so I can tell my service department to contact them?

Thanks
  • youbeeyoubee Member Posts: 4
    I too have had similar problems with my dealership not being aware of some of the programmable features. I was able to convince them to reprogram the auto matic locks but they were certain there is no programmable feature for the EZ-Out feature.

As I stand nearly 6 feet tall and my wife nearly 5 feet tall, this is something I really need. The steering wheel does move when we take the keys out of the ignition but the seat does not and this is the part I really need to work. With the way it is now, I have to reach in with the keys and turn the car on then hit the appropriate number on the seat settings.

Our car was just purchased in July and is a Azera with the Ultimate package. Can you tell me who would know more about activating this feature so I can tell my service department to contact them?

Thanks
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    For a sub 30K Hyundai, it is actually selling well. It could do even better, in my opinion, with some additional advertising. This is an unbelivable car, and kudos to Hyundai for the job well done. Look forward to seeing the "BH" RWD luxury sedan slotting above the Azera soon.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Yes, some not-too-terribly interesting "spy" photos by Brenda Purdy and her gang on some sites. Pretty much cover on the two 'mules' being driven - can't really distinguish much at all...
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...Can you tell me who would know more about activating this feature so I can tell my service department to contact them?..."

Show the service manager, yourself, the pertinent TSBs off the Hyundai WebTech/HMA Service website. (Let 'em argue with that!) You'll need Adobe Reader and to register for that site (free). There are additionally a couple of free downloads in the "site requirements" section you may need to download and install in order to view and printout any attached graphics. Make sure you speak to the service manager. Service advisors are nothing more than glorified salespeople there to push services you pay for (and shield the service manager from you).
  • slo5ohslo5oh Member Posts: 9
    I would love to get to the TSB web site but every time I put in my user name & password it bounces me right back to the log-in page. Am I missing something? I have the Pearl Limited ultimate Pkg. and would like my seat to go back. It's got 11850 fun filled/trouble free,I love my Azera miles on it since Jan.(1-1/2 trips Fla./NY helped) and I'm afraid after 12000mi I'll have to pay to have it done.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Has anyone else found the suspension of their Azera to be loose and the ride bouncy?
    If so, have you found any way to correct or tighten the suspension to solve the problem?
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I don't feel that the Azera's ride is bouncy or soft, having traded out of a KIA Amanti. However, I can see where some might feel that way. Your best bet is to hope performance parts come out soon. A front and rear oversize sway bar will make a WORLD of difference.
  • louie7louie7 Member Posts: 22
    YES, AT SLOW SPEEDS WHERE THE ROAD DIPS TO STREET ACCESS,
    LIKE EXITING A GAS STATION ONTO THE STREET, THAT IS WHEN THE KEYS START BANGING AGAINST THE STEERING WHEEL.
    HOW MUCH FOR THE THE FRONT AND REAR OVERSIZE SWAY BAR
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    Louie, I said "hope they come out soon". I haven't found them yet. Too new a vehicle. Typically, sway bars are as little as $45 each to hundreds for Merc and BMW. We'll have to WAIT and see.
    OK Mac, sorry
  • policecar6policecar6 Member Posts: 2
    I live in the midwest (ILL) and have only seen 1 other one outside of St Louis area which is 125 miles away. I think some people may still be a little hesitant to buy Korean-Azera still built there. The 10 yr/100000 mi warrenty and the ultimate pkg sold me. Price may be also keeping some at bay until they see more on the roads. It is a sharp-looking car. The areas I think it falls short on: 1) the suspension on bumpy roads 2)the headlight problem mentioned earlier 3) mileage less than I expected 4) steering wheel controls somewhat lacking. It's hard to have all the bells and whistles, ride, warrenty etc for 28G-if we want more options, we will have to be willing to cough up 40-50G. For the price I feel it is a good value. It is one of the nicest looking vehicles I have seen. :)
    I don't know whether this may apply in your case, but I had the same problem initially. It turned out that Hyundai loves to mix "ones" (1), small case "els" (l), and capital "eyes" (I). When I finally managed to type in the right combination (there were a total of 4 of the above characters in my assigned password), I opened Windows Notepad and saved it as a password text file which I now access, copy, and transfer to the password box whenever I visit the site. A few extra keystrokes, but bulletproof access reliability. The other possibility is, did you actually register and receive an assigned password or are you trying to use a general password that you prefer for other sites? (I know, stupid question...)
    "Has anyone else found the suspension of their Azera to be loose and the ride bouncy?"

It's not just the Azera. It's Hyundai's ho-hum attitude about shock absorber valving. Hyundai stresses boulevard ride over handling despite equipping their dampers with high pressure nitrogen to control fluid aeration. Larger diameter sway bars (which are nothing more than a torsion bar spring to control ride motion when the interconnected wheels are attempting to react to different compression and rebound forces) would well-serve sway while cornering and the sway forces generated during abrupt maneuvers, but would have virtually no effect when taking bumps and dips in which wheels on each side strike a road irregularity simultaneously. Hyundai achieved the zenith of independent suspension design in the previous generation Sonata I drive ;). It's fully as harsh over slight road irregularities, such as tar strips, as my previous '96 Accord, but with no where nearly equivalent cornering and emergency handling capability.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    You know...another contibuting factor to a ride that comes across as stiffer over bumps would be the 55 series tires that come standard on the Azera Limited models. Most touring tires are a 60 series tire with anything less leaning towards a sportier ride. My 96 Camry had 60 series tires on it and the ride was a bit softer, the 02 Sonata I had, carried 70 series tires and rode smoother than the Camry. I'm not saying that the tires are the main reason to the ride being as it is, but it does contribute to it.

In all honesty, I find the 55 series tires to be right on with the rest of the suspension when it comes to the handling of the Azera. I mean for the car to weigh as it does, it handles corners and curves quite nicely.

However, my ride will drastically change when I switch to 20" rims and have to drop down to a 35 series tire.
    Here you go: Click Here

I noticed it has already has a place-holder on NHTSA: Right Here, but not tested yet... :shades:
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    I recall seeing one rumor about this. If it happens, it would help all Azera owners because it would make bigger swaybars (or if you prefer, anti-sway bars or stabilizer bars) available to all as a bolt-on.

I've gone this route with several previous cars. It not only flattens cornering, subjectively it also makes the steering seem quicker, because you don't get that delayed reaction of body movement before the car turns. Highly recommended in this case, especially in the rear (always the first end of the car to try, especially with FWD).
  • shawalshawal Member Posts: 38
    Hyundai Australia has a "lowered sports suspension" kit.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Ok, I've read posts from a lot of you about dealers programming the Azera so the locks apply at 10mph and unlock when you remove the key. Listen to this....

I went to my selling dealer this morning to get them to program these features. I was told it takes over an hour, that the tech has to wipe out all the settings "via a Wi-Fi" connection and then reprogram the whole computer....and that they get $80 to do it. I replied that when I pay over $25K for a "luxury" car, I expect options to be explained and for the dealer to offer and provide this. I also told him that other luxury cars (Chrysler 300, Audi, BMW, etc.) have auto-locking systems. he replied that because Hyundai had made auto lock the default behavior for the 1999 Sonata and that there was no way to disable it and that Hyundai had a lot of complaints, now no vehicle has auto-lock enabled when delivered. I got the "talk to the service manager" to see about doing the reprogramming at "reduced" cost.

Questions for other members here: a)how long did it take to program for the auto-locks; b) was there a charge; c) did they totally wipe out any programming in your Azera when it was done?

I thank you in advance for your feedback. I'm not done running this down.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    You are getting the typical line of crap that I have come to expect from car dealerships. There are few professions more unethical that car salesmen and service advisors.

Fact - You probably know more about the Azera than the service advisor and the service manager. These people are nothing more than overpaid monkeys. Be persistent - do not let them rip you off.

Fact - It should take a competent mechanic no more than five minutes to program all of the features that you want.

Fact - Programming auto-lock and ez-out will not wipe out any other settings.

Fact - This should be done at no charge.
    It took my dealer about 10 minutes to program door locks and ez out feature. No charge.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    The same with me. The service manager couldn't have been nicer. I brought my car in and told him that I needed to have the door locks and limp home mode programmed. He went in to the service area and came out with a device. Plugged it in under the dash and programmed it in 5 minutes to the way I wanted it, doors lock when taken out of park and unlock when key is removed. Told me to have a nice day and if I ever needed anything else done just let him know. I can't complain about that service. JoeD
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Mine was the first that my local dealership had programed, but it still only took about 20 minutes and there was no charge. Find another dealer and give them your future service dollars.
  • jmjkjmjk Member Posts: 55
    Bob: I have not solved the problem yet. Attached for you is my post regarding my experience at the dealership. I posted another message today. I have lost a lug nut and the steering wheel still shakes at around 67 - 68 mph. My clunk seems to be limited to the passenger side, but I am not positive about that. I will continue to monitor. There is something about that slow speed and why is the annoying clunk is so pervasive at that speed . . . I wonder if the strut or struts are defective?

Keep me posted, I will do the same.

I have checked the tire pressure and all is fine there. And yesterday I took the Azera to the dealership. The service manager and I took it for a ride and he recognized the "clunk" right away. I explained to him that I would have expected to heard a good solid "thump" from my car as opposed to a "clunk". They took it into the service bay (I stayed in the waiting room) and here's what happened.

First, they put the 17" wheels back on the car (I had asked for 16" wheels as all the reports I had read on the internet said that the 16" wheels and tires provided a quieter ride).

Second he told me that the "only thing wrong with the 17" wheels were that they would make the steering wheel shake a bit at high speeds". He was right. As soon as I got on the freeway and reached about 67 mph there it was, the shake he said I would have! As you can expect, I am really annoyed by that.

Third, after the car was returned to me I was told that the "clunk" was a typical noise and the car had checked out fine. He said that all of the front end bolts were checked and retorqued.

Third and quite interestingly, when they took my car to the service bay he said he would drive another Azera Limited to see if he could experience the same "clunk" as my Azera and I WAS NOT INVITED TO GO ALONG. In hindsight I should have insisted to ride along.

I still have the "clunk" (there was virtually no improvement after putting on the 17" wheels) and I am certain that something is wrong. I have half a mind to go to another dealership with my wife's car and test drive a couple of Azeras, find some bumps and see if the other Azeras respond like mine.
  • jmjkjmjk Member Posts: 55
    Bob: I have not solved the problem yet. Attached for you is my post regarding my experience at the dealership. I posted another message today. I have lost a lug nut and the steering wheel still shakes at around 67 - 68 mph. My clunk seems to be limited to the passenger side, but I am not positive about that. I will continue to monitor. There is something about that slow speed and why is the annoying clunk is so pervasive at that speed . . . I wonder if the strut or struts are defective?

Keep me posted, I will do the same.

I have checked the tire pressure and all is fine there. And yesterday I took the Azera to the dealership. The service manager and I took it for a ride and he recognized the "clunk" right away. I explained to him that I would have expected to heard a good solid "thump" from my car as opposed to a "clunk". They took it into the service bay (I stayed in the waiting room) and here's what happened.

First, they put the 17" wheels back on the car (I had asked for 16" wheels as all the reports I had read on the internet said that the 16" wheels and tires provided a quieter ride).

Second he told me that the "only thing wrong with the 17" wheels were that they would make the steering wheel shake a bit at high speeds". He was right. As soon as I got on the freeway and reached about 67 mph there it was, the shake he said I would have! As you can expect, I am really annoyed by that.

Third, after the car was returned to me I was told that the "clunk" was a typical noise and the car had checked out fine. He said that all of the front end bolts were checked and retorqued.

Third and quite interestingly, when they took my car to the service bay he said he would drive another Azera Limited to see if he could experience the same "clunk" as my Azera and I WAS NOT INVITED TO GO ALONG. In hindsight I should have insisted to ride along.

I still have the "clunk" (there was virtually no improvement after putting on the 17" wheels) and I am certain that something is wrong. I have half a mind to go to another dealership with my wife's car and test drive a couple of Azeras, find some bumps and see if the other Azeras respond like mine.
    "There are few professions more unethical that car salesmen and service advisors."

I take it you've never been skinned, skewered, and roasted by a divorce lawyer?
  • azeradaveazeradave Member Posts: 42
    JM

I too have the "17's". I have gone up to "80" before, with no shimmy in the steering wheel. :shades:
    I agree. There's more than a mere one inch stepup in wheel size going on to account for jmjk's steering wheel shimmy at speed with the 17" wheels and tires. (I had a personal experience in which the tread belt had shifted in the tire casing and caused some really weird shimmy effects at freeway cruising speeds, for instance - yet the tire showed perfect balance on the rim in two planes according to repeated testing at several tire shops on their computerized wheel balancing machines.) I suspect someone at jmjk's dealership was too lazy to conscienteously puruse and pursue other possibilities. Still, if jmjk's satisfied with the outcome now, then that's sufficient.
    I've got a similar problem where one of my tires gives me a little noise between 71 and 74 mph. How exactly did you figure out that the belts were shifted?
    In desperation, we stopped at a GM auto/farm implements dealership in a small town somewhere in Kentucky. (Friday evening, 5 minutes 'till closing, with Calif. plates shouting, "Dumb-jerk rube - break out the shears!" The service advisor called two techs over and explained the situation. One drove the car over to the lift while the other raised the car about 6" off the shop floor. With the engine running, parking brake off, and the transmission in "Drive", the squirming tread on one of the rear tires was the give-away. The next morning, with invoice in hand, I contacted a tire shop and it replaced the tire with no questions asked. (The invoice from the dealership was a courtesy for tire warranty purposes. No one at the dealership the night before would accept a dime for their trouble. I couldn't have been treated nicer had I been the dealership owner's war hero son. Kentucky grows more than great horses.)
  • mbhollambholla Member Posts: 37
    However, my ride will drastically change when I switch to 20" rims and have to drop down to a 35 series tire.

Let me know how those "20 work out for you...ride/handleing wise I mean.
  • vjk6666vjk6666 Member Posts: 29
    Information is from the 2007 Azera Sales Brochure....

Any informaion on a wiring harness to handle 100 watt Halogen Bulbs????? Please advise
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I have the 17 inch wheels on my Azera. I have experienced no "clunks" like you describe. In fact there is a dip in one of the streets near my home and I've noticed my Azera handles it much better than my 02 XGL did. I also have no vibrations at any speeds that your dealer told you were a problem with the 17 inch wheels. Do like I did on my XG. My selling dealer had a poor service department. I found another local dealer with a good service department. I asked them to take over all the service on my car and to take off the selling dealers license plate frames and put theirs on. They've treated me very good and I bought my Azera from them. If your dealer isn't loyal to you then you are not required to be loyal to them. There are good Hyundai dealer service departments that would love to have your warranty work and other service. Does your selling dealing sell more than Hyundai at their location? My old selling dealer also sold Subaru and Volkswagen and didn't seem to care about Hyundai. My "new" dealer has a seperate dealership dedicated to Hyundai. If they sell other vehicles perhaps warranty work on those other cars is more lucractive and they don't want to waste time on Hyundai service. Ask around when you see other Hyundai owners. That's how I found the better dealer.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Spoke with the service manager and expressed how others have commented (thank you all) how their dealer did this re-program in a short time and without cost. He sputtered a bit about how it takes 30 minutes and Hyundai doesn't pay them for re-programming the locks and limp-home feature.....but said he would do it for me at no charge.

Guess it pays to complain, but if Hyundai wants people to view the Azera as a luxury car, their dealers need to be attuned to owners' expectations. Also, Hyundai, corporate should look at the behavior for the locking systems in cars they are competing against and update their default settings.

Thanks again to all for your support and comments
  • foresterguy1foresterguy1 Member Posts: 5
    When we make left hard turn seem to hear warbling noise in rear, maybe left wheel. Only does it now and then and service did not hear it, next day there again. Any idea?
  • texasazeratexasazera Member Posts: 10
    These cars were designed for the HID lamps, and that shadow is called a cutoff. It is required for the Xenon lights so you do not blind the oncomming drivers. To save money Hyundai put in halogens in teh states. The Korean model has the HID lights and if you look under your hood at the fuse box it has a fuse for HID. With that being said the Halogens are not as bright and so that shadow really sticks out. I bought some ballasts and lights and upgraded mine to xenon.

I know what you guys will say, that is illegal. Well the housings are projectors and the ones in Korea are identical. It has the cutoffs as required and now I do not notice the shadow.
    "Also, Hyundai, corporate should look at the behavior for the locking systems in cars they are competing against and update their default settings."

Your comment is a direct bullseye. It's nice when a dealer goodwills a procedure without a fuss and kudos to those who do. But, from the dealers' perspective I can understand their annoyance at being expected to pull someone off a chargeable job to do free make-work just because Hyundai's decision makers can't get it through their dense heads that their most important export market by and large want these programmable items pre-programmed to some initial setting other than, "off". From the buyers' perspective it's equally annoying that he/she should have to take the time to deliver the car to a dealership to have a penny-ante setting changed - and then be expected to pay a half-hour's labor charge for five minutes of futzing. The list of free service adjustments listed in the supplemental warranty booklet for the first year should include ONE free adjustment for which Hyundai will pay the dealership for each programmable item, IMNSHO. Extra goodies in the "Standard Equipment" column of the MSRP sticker are attractive temptations when shopping. But, it's the little after-sale attitude gotchas that too often require tussling with the automaker or dealership that endure after the new car smell wears off.
  • vjk6666vjk6666 Member Posts: 29
    Question to "Texasazera" on his conversion to HID.. What specifically did you do to make the change to Xenon and where did you secure the parts??
  • bri76bri76 Member Posts: 14
    I traded my 01 Elantra GT in for an Azera. At first the different ride characteristics came out in favor of the GT. Now, driving the Azera a few days and a couple of hundred miles, I have become accustomed to the looser suspension. I am enjoying what I describe as a pleasant cruiser.

I got the Utlimate package. My biggest gripe is the steering wheel controls which IMHO are a joke. Who's bright idea was to place the volume controls on the steering wheel in lieu of changing stations or CD tracks? Worse, from the above post, it looks like Hyundai got the message and is changing the steering wheel in a month or so! Aaaargh!

Oh well. Other than that, the car is beautiful. The only other wish for items would be having the mirrors automatically turn down when you hit reverse and of course, a NAV option. I am surprised the 07's are not offering them.
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    As a matter of fact, it is no longer illegal to have HID or Xenons put into your headlamp. As long as they're installed onto the projector beam, NOT the highbeam, then you'll be just fine.

Oh and if your wondering where I got this source, my wife works for an aftermarket manufacturing company that sells HID kit and were informed from their legal department that they would no longer need to label "For Off Road Use Only" on their boxes.
    No - it's not illegal, and in this case, likely works just fine: see previous comments. In many cars, you're putting an HID bulb behind a lens made for a halogen lamp, which is not good for the on-coming drivers. In this case, the lense is already there - no problem...
    I was stupid and bought everything OEM phillips bulbs, ballasts, etc. Cost me a fortune. But my nieghbor bought a Tibouron and he got a h7 kit off ebay for 200.00 and it dropped right in. You have to run a seperate power source to the battery and understand how a relay works to hook it up. I googled the info and it helped me alot. You also have to drill a 1" hole in the little cap on the back of the headlamp (the dustcover) just like the korean models for the High voltage wire to go to the ballast.

Just an FYI I could not get the headlamps out of mine, just seamed too hard. So I did it with them inplace. Anyone know the proper way they come out without forcing?
    The kicker on that is you cannot put those into a reflector style lens, it has to be a projector style.
  • bri76bri76 Member Posts: 14
    It varies, but if the temperature is 79 degrees outside, my console will display the outside temperature as being 89 degrees.

Do other owners notice this or is this unique to me?
    "...if the temperature is 79 degrees outside, my console will display the outside temperature as being 89 degrees."

Hyundai's got a TSB out about the problem. The sensors are whacky. This is a warranty item, so don't let the dealer bull you that it's "normal".
    I have been advised by Consumer Affairs dept of Hyundai that both the steering wheel audio controls as well as the turn signal side view mirrors can be updated to the 07 model specification.
    The audio controller is available now, and the mirrors will be available shortly.
    They did not know the prices, but suggested contacting the local dealer.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Hi Gang!

Say..... has anyone else seen any wrinkling in the black tape material covering the exterior C-pillars (rear) of their Azeras?

I was looking one over in my parking structure today, and I spotted a considerable amount of wrinkling of this material on both sides of the car. The wrinkles occurred where the molding covered by tape met the chrome trim molding.

The car overall was very attractive and quality looking, BUT I would have been pretty disappointed to be the owner of this particular model based on this trim flaw.

If you've seen this on any other Azeras, be sure to post about it here. Maybe Hyundai's not aware of the problem.

-SM
    I had same problem.
    Dealer removed tape and PAINTED pillars. Covered under warranty. Looks fine.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I have this issue as well, but it is so minute, it does not bother me. It must be an issue with most of these cars I would imagine.