Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• beachlizzybeachlizzy Member Posts: 5
    I will be buying a new car in the next month or so. I am looking at the Azera. Is it worth buying and should I wait for the 2007 models? Does anyone know anything about the 2007 models?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Do a search on 2007, you'll find everything that has been discussed.
  • richwoodsrichwoods Member Posts: 53
    Got a url - I've been searching and found nothing on the 2007. :mad:
  • zentraudzentraud Member Posts: 6
    Hi I'm new here.
    I just want to share my experience with Hyundai Azera I bought two months back. First, I'd like to begin by saying that I have been roaming on this forum since last year before I finally decided to buy one myself. This forum has been very informative in my decision to buy azera. So far, i've enjoyed the design, ride, quietness and engine. On the negative side, I have to say that the mileage has not been so good. city average is 19mpg. after 2000 miles, i'm averaging 19.4 mpg with half city and half highway. But I feel I have to share some troubling experience I had with my car. Over a pithole or large bump, I hear different sound from the right passenger side. When I let the drive side wheels to go over bump or pitholes, I felt the sound confident like "thud". But when I let the right sides to over them, I heard something shallow and cheap sound from the rigth passenger side. Is this something that is limited to my car only? I took my car to two dealers for possible inspection. they all reported that the car is nothing wrong. they even called HMA and came back saying that it is normal. I'm kind of disappointed about the service, to be honest. I had a little high expection from azera, as it is advertised to be a near luxury car, but the uneven sound it generates from passenger side kind of let me down. Can anybody shed some light on this noise issue? Oh, by the way, the sound is not so bad, it just sounds different from the driver side, as if it is not damped. But the shock and vibration is good. Just the sound is cheap and shallow. Sound from the left side is good.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I created the discussion I just mentioned about the changes for the 2007 Azera and moved some recent posts there. I have also created Hyundai Azera Transmission with some previous tranny posts.

If you haven't yet, you'll want to go to the top level of the Hyundai Azera group and click on "Track this Group" (this is located on the right just above the discussion list). That way you won't miss any other Azera discussions as they are added.

Enjoy!
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    rich,

Near the top of this page you'll see "Search this Discussion", type in "2007" and hit "return".
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    did you have a service tech go on a ride with you so he or she could hear the problem ? or did you just describe it?
    what are your requirements for a new car? what features do you want? what interested you in the hyundai? :)
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I too have noticed that with my car. I don't know why either...perhaps a defective joint or something??? But it sounds like a knock when passing over semingly small irregularities. Perhaps it is a clearance issue? My solution to date: turn the music up. Hey Hyundai..fix this please.
    Yes, I did. One service dept could not agree. But the other one did. So he checked the suspension area and even called HMA but suspension and absorber are came out normal. Even HMA said it is normal. I think I can live with the sound. But the near luxury car like azera, as it is advertised to be, should meet a high demand like someone who came from a japanese car. If the sound sounds equal from left and from right side, I would have been more comfortable. But it's just the way right side (passenger) wheel responds (sound) to the pitholes makes me kind of disappointed. I hope Hyundai Headquarter listens to this complaint and tune it for next 2007 or 2008. Or if it is just my car, service should have catched it. But other than this minor iritating uneven noise, I'm happy with my car.
    Very odd, I guess just sending a letter to HMA would be the only option. I suppose you could chalk it up as a "quirk" or part of the cars "personality" . That said, a car of this price and class should not have such issues,period. Still hope everyone with this problem finds a way to get it resolved :sick: :)
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I do not have the described problem, but I am not unfarmiliar with the phenomenon. I had a KIA AMANTI that I traded for the Azera and KIA had problems with assembly at the factory of suspension retaining hardware that affected about 40% of 2004-2005 Amanti. It was a matter of removing and retorquing suspension bolts and nuts and very rarely replacing of a part, always the right front....Deja Vu all over again, but a simple matter. Sounds like some service depts don't want to work to hard at customer satisfaction.
    how do you like the azera? what are your impressions of the car so far? congrads on the purchase :)
    The only gripe I've had is the quality of the carpeting and floor mats.... it needs an upgrade. The car handles well for its size and weight, acceleration is MORE than adequate, it's almost too tempting to floor it! Braking is sure and dependable with the ABS, Traction Control and Electronic Brake Force Distribution systems. I really like the styling. The features available are great. I especially like the rain-sensing wipers and the E-Z out feature for the driver's seat (on Limited, Ultimate only, I think) and now that I've passed the 3ooo mile mark, my gas mileage is steadily increasing. Currently, I'm getting 20.8 MPG with 35% highway and 65% city, and it's still increasing. Best value for the buck I've ever seen.
  • texasazeratexasazera Member Posts: 10
    Huh, that is funny I have the same little problem. It was not there when I bought it, I wnet over the car with a fine toothed comb. That is really going to piss me off if they say that crap. I was looking at alot more expensive ares and my practical sie came out and I bought this car. I even mentioned in the sales process that I expect to be treated like I am purchasing a luxury car. Hell my last car was a GS!!!! Lexus treats you like a god! I cannot complain too much because I really do love this car.

Exept that buzz in the front speaker, and the subwoofer !
    I'd like to hear more about this symptom you had with Kia Amanti. I heard that Kia Amanti, XG, and Azera all built from same factory. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am really hoping that simple minor readjustment and retorque would make the sound more pleasant and even. And I feel that this would could be the solution to my problem. And to mr Subarufan, please let me know how I can email or write to HMA. I don't know how to contact them. I want to feel really happy about my car. If I could get my car retuned and get rid of uneven sound, I'll be so much happy.
    Thanks again in advance to you for your excellent information.,
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    If you are getting 19 MPG city, you are doing great. I am getting 16 MPG city, and dealer informed me that similar numbers are being reported by most owners.
    4000 mile trip, mostly highway, yielded 22.4 MPG.
    Ride very bouncey, even over small road bumps.
    Dealer checked suspension and informed me that it is up to specification. Claims Hyundai wanted SOFT ride.
  • texasazeratexasazera Member Posts: 10
    I was at the dealership the other day and saw that they lowered the expected mileage on the sticker by 1mph
    I noticed that as well. What a joke,
    The EPA milage number, according to dealer, is arrived at using best conditions, such as flat roads, no loads, no extra passengers, 55 mph highway, no quick accelerations etc.
    In real life it would be almost impossible to achive those numbers.
    To my knowledge, no changes or adjustments to the powertrain or suspension have been made on the 2007 model.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    So, what are the current official EPA city/highway cycle fuel economy comparison numbers for the Azera? I'll probably be in the market for a new car late next year, but if Hyundai's reinvented the Packard (relatively speaking), I may be better off dropping the Azera from further consideration.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Official EPA fuel economy is listed at 19 (city) / 28 (highway).

While some owners will acheive EPA figures, some will exceed, and some will be under - depends very much on various situations (driving conditions, driving styles, etc) - this applies to all cars of all makers.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    Numerous posts have documented mpg in the high 20s on long freeway trips. I have yet to take a long freeway trip in my Azera. I use my Azera almost exclusively for commuting and short weekend errands.

Commute Distance - ~35 miles roundtrip
    Passengers - none
    Load - none
    Road conditions - about 1/3 city streets with lots of traffic lights and stop signs; about 2/3 freeway with no traffic in the a.m. and horrible start/stop gridlock in the p.m.
    AC - at least 50% of the time

My mileage has varied under these conditions from 19+ to 22. I don't consider this to be bad at all.
    Agreed. I've seen consistent high 20s (even some low 30s) reporting from Azera owners; city and mixed driving generally range from low to mid 20s. Not exactly Insight numbers but defn. adequate for a large sedan with a powerful engine, which is expected to eat a good amount of gas.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    You can pay for a timing belt replacement at 60K or a check of the lifters. Seems the cost are going to be about the same. The Azera uses a timing chain which doesn't require replacments at 60K. Much concern about a costs that would be incurred on a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    On the car I just traded, pushing yhe fob button completely opened the trunk lid. A very handy feature if you're carrying things. My dealer tells me all Azeras are like mine--no adjustment of the trunk springs can be made. Is that possible? I've had the Azie for 4 months and love it!
    --"My dealer tells me all Azeras are like mine--no adjustment of the trunk springs can be made. Is that possible?"--

Unless Hyundai has retrograded the trunk openers on the Azera, it uses a clever system of levers and nitrogen-filled cylinders in lieu traditional "gooseneck" hinges and torsion springs. The advantage of the levers/high pressure nitrogen cylinders is that there're no goosenecks to crunch your Samsonite luggage, since all the workin's fold down nice and neat in the rain channel when the trunk lid is closed. The downside, though, is that since all the tensioning is handled by the high pressure nitrogen cylinders, there's no adjustment possible. (unless you can figure out a way to further pressurize the sealed-for-life nitrogen-filled cylinders without blowin' 'em up in your face... ;))
    I have never heard of an owner reaching or exceeding the EPA milage, nor has my dealer.
  • richwoodsrichwoods Member Posts: 53
    Don't they just put these things on dynameters (sp)?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Is that just with the Azera or any car?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• rjribmrjribm Member Posts: 8
    My Azera has 3285 miles on it. I just got out of the car after traveling 230 miles. mostly freeway. Averaged 62mph and got 28.4 MPH. I did reset MPH just as I left the house.
  • adityagadityag Member Posts: 19
    Hi Guys:
    Any took there car in for the 2nd / 7500 mile service? How much are they asking for it?

I called my dealer; and he wants 150 bucks for it 'after discount'. IS that expected?

Other than dealer experiences, no problems with the Azera so far..
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    By 2nd 7500 mile service do you mean the first 15000 mile service? My dealer's 15K charge (with the discount) is $180, which is a huge ripoff considering that most of the service is just a visual inspection.
    I respectfully suggest you dig out your owner's manual and look up the service chart to see what Hyundai specifies for whatever time/mileage service you're approaching. Dealerships are infamous for padding various services with profitable "makework" procedures that are neither required nor recommended by the automaker at the frequency the dealerships like to perform them. Your owner's manual is your "bible" for maintaining warranty rights* - not the dealerships' monthly "service specials" mailings. You don't have to argue about it either. If a service writer tells you that you must have such-and-such unlisted or pre-mature service performed to maintain your warranty rights, whip out your owner's manual and politely ask him/her to point out the alleged requirement in the manual. Try not to gloat (too much ;)).

*I'm referring to the automaker's warranty. If you bought an "extended warranty" (really an extended service contract if issued by other than the automaker) you may well be on the hook to bite the bullet over dealership tactics in order to keep that contract in force. If you bought one of these extended service contracts, read the fine print - there may be some gotchas awaiting the unwary.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    I too would prefer a bit firmer ride.
    I am considering changing shocks, when and if, they become available. My last car, a Jaguar S Type had Boge shocks--very nice. Am also considering Tokico. Has anyone used either of these two brands on other vehicles?
  • adityagadityag Member Posts: 19
    The service manual of the Azera says 1st service at 3500 and the second at 7500 miles. Since mine is a leased vehicle, I am afraid to go over these limits (the odometer is 7900 already!) - going beyond those limits might be deterious when I return the vehicle.

Should I ask them to itemise the invoice before the service? I inquired at a couple of other places and they want 100 bucks.
    All cars are rates the same way. This id a hypothetical number and is not expected in actual usage.
    Those who report actual numbers similar to EPA must be very careful drivers never exceeding the speed limit and accelerating at a very slow and controlled rate,
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    This id a hypothetical number and is not expected in actual usage.

In my Elantra under normal driving conditions, not accelerating at a slow controlled rate but not flooring it either, I get about 1 MPG over EPA estiments. On the highway I get about 2 or 3 MPG more (keeping it at around 70 or so).

In the Caddy I am getting a few MPG's less than EPA estiments.

On the whole in all my cars I have gotten close to and sometimes exceeded EPA numbers.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    I regularly exceed the EPA numbers on both my vehicles. I use good air filters and synthetic oil in both, and typically get about 10% better than rated. I am not a speed-racer, but hardly a sedate driver, either...
    Not a long haul, but from Albuquerque to Santa Fe this morning I got 28.3 mpg. Uphill one way and downhill the other averages out, I guess. 75-80 MPH. The car was a dream to drive.

Almost disapointing, considering my 60/40 city/hwy mileage is getting close to 21 mpg. I'm loving this car more as time goes by.
    Well stated Ray. I found that the "good" servicing dealer that I found when I owned my XG350L was okay with me having some of these routine "checks" of things like body integrity and other stuff done by a reputable mechanic shop as long as I had the documentation and I saw them on a somewhat regular basis for the big stuff like transmission flushes for which their price was as cheap as any of the Jiffy Lube type places. They also got all my warranty work and bent over backward to get things covered under warranty for me. The secret is finding a good servicing dealer and maintaining a good relationship with them.
    By the way Ray, have you noticed that the Azera owners manual calls for the the transmission fluid to be Hyundai fluid or an equivalent? Maybe good news although my dealer charge for a transmission flush is cheap enough. However, it might be great news for peple who have dealers that gouge them on the price.
    :)
    --"Uphill one way and downhill the other averages out, I guess. 75-80 MPH."--

Yep! :D Your strategy is the ideal way to do a "cannonball" fuel usage run and not wonder whether it's skewed because the trip was either predominently ascending or descending. Very good report!
    --"By the way Ray, have you noticed that the Azera owners manual calls for the the transmission fluid to be Hyundai fluid or an equivalent?"--

Hi, Phil. I still have my '03 Sonata, so I'm not current about Hyundai's most recent ATF requirements. Are the requirements actually different since 2003 or merely a rehash of my '03's owner's manual that specifies "SP III" ATF? If Hyundai lists acceptable alternatives, is Chrysler's "ATF+4" recommended by any chance?
    Hi Ray. The new manual is very different in that it does not require the Hyundai Only ATF. It just states "or equivalent" and doesn't recommend any alternatives. I'm going in for an oil change tomorrow so I'll ask the service department and see why they say. I'll let you know.
    Consumer Affairs dept of Hyundai indicated to me last week that a kit was available to upgrade aidi control swith on steering wheel to include 07 feature of the ability to change radio stations.
    Went to local dealer who was unable to locate such an upgrade kit.
    Called Consumer Affairs Dept today who informed me that they do not have ability to obtain part numbers and that owner must get that infornation from dealers.
    Sounds strange to me that the manufacturer would have less information than local dealers.
    Has anyone else requested or obtained this information?
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Unfortunately, my last visit to the dealer ship netted me a dear in the headlights look when I brought up the question of upgrading steering wheel audio controls on the 06 Azeras. Seems we'll have to wait until they drop the 07 and go from there.

On a further note, the salesman I was talking to had no knowledge of the full size SUV (Veracruz) or sedan (Equus - to be changed) when I went and test drove the new Santa Fe.

I only bring that up to point out...they do little to inform themselves and maybe it's because we as consumers come in already loaded with information about a particular vehicle. Personally...I call it laziness. As a salesman, I'd be ashamed if a potential customer came in knowing more than me about a product I sell. Makes you wonder what the salesmen are truly needed for!!! :confuse:
    I agree completely. The sales and service advisors appear to know very little about the features of the Azera. One would think that they or the Management would take the initiative to learn about the product. It probably would help in selling more cars.
    Korean model (new updates):

• rjribmrjribm Member Posts: 8
    I have had my car for about a month. The car did not appear to be sitting level. I measured it and found the drivers side was about a half an inch lower. The dealer checked it and agreed. He said they checked other cars in inventory and they were all lower on the drivers side.... Any one else notice this? :)
    If the principle driver is usually alone in the car when it's driven, I wouldn't be surpised to find the springs on that side take a mild "set". Try sitting in the passenger side and repeating your measurements to see whether the previous measurements equalize somewhat. (another good argument for self-leveling air suspension? ;))